Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The delayed 175/175 seems like it could be a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I don't think we saw the tier 3 of the frostbite version either. If it caps at something like 5-10 frostbite per shard, it would be very easy for it to outdo Tethys since it comes with sweep and you don't have to worry about spikes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LostRook posted:

I don't think we saw the tier 3 of the frostbite version either. If it caps at something like 5-10 frostbite per shard, it would be very easy for it to outdo Tethys since it comes with sweep and you don't have to worry about spikes.

Yeah, more health, frostbite to all enemies out of the gate that scales up as you incant more on the same floor, and if you have a way to stack up one big floor, seems like it could be incredibly powerful.

I'm looking forward to trying out the new umbra champion. I think there's some definite synergy with that champion and the waxen alternate starting card that gives you reform right off the bat. Since units reform with more stats, and the eater gains the stats of the reformed unit, there's some real possibilities to stack up an utterly massive champion. If you take the variant that starts with damage shield, which also inherits, then you can end up with a unit with massive damage shield stacks in addition to utterly obscene stats (though it probably also inherits burnout, so that's something to watch out for).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Kyrosiris posted:

Wow, Solgard looks like crap compared to Tethys.

I gotta disagree. The frostbite version hits everything on the floor instead of a single enemy like Tethys, and since shards don't decay, will very quickly ramp up over the course of a fight. Also no worries with spikes, which will utterly destroy the frostbite Tethys.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Anyone have strategies for Expert Challenge Round and Round (that's the one where your units swap spots each round and spells randomly target)

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

GodFish posted:

Anyone have strategies for Expert Challenge Round and Round (that's the one where your units swap spots each round and spells randomly target)

I think that's one of the ones I got fed up with and just restarted until I could sketches of salvation & shadowsiege it.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Got it! used Legion of Wax primary with Hellhorned secondary - I was trying for Imps but instead all I ended up from Hellhorned was two Infernos. Main engine was two +10 Multistrike Legion of Waxes with double Extinguish. What a nightmare of a run.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The new stuff is available by switching to the public beta server. I did a fun run on Covenant 1 of Hellhorned/Umbra with Shardtail Queen, going the Imp Generator route twice and then the Rally route once. It was cool having Imps feel like a real thing outside of just praying for Consumer of Crowns or some kinda super Transcendimp synergy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Watching MattOblivium playing the beta. He's using Remnant/Umbra with Little Fade, and his starting artifact was Flicker's Liquor. This could get silly.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I just played a couple of games and holy poo poo is the frostbite version of the new Stygian champion insanely strong. Admittedly, the first game I got the double-incant artifact and the second game I got the +2 frostbite and frostbite doesn't decay artifact, but to be frank, I would have steamrolled the second game even without it. In the first couple of stages he requires some babying, but once you get his first upgrade you can put him on the bottom floor behind one of the beefy Stygian shark guards and probably have those be your only two units and still win by a landslide.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Did my next Covenant 1 mess around run with the new Awoken dude. I started with his line that gives 3 Stings and Incant for +1 atk, ended up Vortexing 5 copies of Sting (since I drafted one) and getting the consume sting spell, removing consume, and adding holdover. I then got the thing that gives all Sting spells +20 attack.

Wyldentyn or whatever his name is seems pretty nuts. Being able to make an entire floor have Quick, then that line improving to him having Multistrike felt real good, especially with that initial Incant perk.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
How do saves work on the beta branch for this game? Does it just share your regular save and make all the same progress toward unlocks etc.? Or is it a separate save file / progress lost when release version happens?

I've been waiting for this update because I feel like it's exactly what I wanted them to add for more variety, but I'll keep waiting if you can't make permanent progress in beta.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm stuck at cov 14.
I keep making builds that can crush bosses but don't quite have the dps for the last fight or two :(

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Little Fade with Awoken backup going full Spikes route was fun, because I got Adaptive Mutation and removed the consume from it so that my 200+ attack 1 health Little Fade with 200+ spikes got to be a 1/200 with 200 spikes instead. I also got Bramble Lash and got to use it to kill Seraph before final wave (it did 3100 damage).

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Captain Foo posted:

I'm stuck at cov 14.
I keep making builds that can crush bosses but don't quite have the dps for the last fight or two :(

What kind of decks are you playing?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Foul Fowl posted:

What kind of decks are you playing?

I’ve mostly been trying horny reapers like the post upthread was discussing. Mostly been trying with shark tanks but have tried some leafy tanks too

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

I’ve mostly been trying horny reapers like the post upthread was discussing. Mostly been trying with shark tanks but have tried some leafy tanks too

If your issue is losing because you can't kill the little dudes, then you probably need some strong attack spells or disabling spells. The hellhorned spell that ascends and dazes a creature can work wonders here; you can ascend an enemy that works its way through your creatures once it hits the top floor and your pyre gets a good 80 or so damage on it before it has a chance to react. It's also powerful for your own creatures (though not as ideal as the non-dazing version) and can help stack them on a single floor, or for splitting a tank away from the dps enemies so that your dudes with slay procs can slay the enemy. Quick helps immensely in the last couple of fights (and is a buff that awakened can provide), and once your creatures get going, you will wipe out the floor without a problem.

Spells can also just mitigate things by blowing the crap out of them. Leaving the bottom floor empty so that you can inferno it is a viable strategy - you'll cripple or kill almost all of the enemies in one cast. If you're running sharks, you have access to lots of damage spells that can help to mitigate things, as well as totems with incant to do fun stuff like give armor/frostbite/sap whenever you spam spells on the floor. One or two sap totems combined with casting 3-4 spells on a turn ends up with most enemies doing 0 damage, and you can get sap up to silly levels on seraphim.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dirk the Average posted:

If your issue is losing because you can't kill the little dudes, then you probably need some strong attack spells or disabling spells. The hellhorned spell that ascends and dazes a creature can work wonders here; you can ascend an enemy that works its way through your creatures once it hits the top floor and your pyre gets a good 80 or so damage on it before it has a chance to react. It's also powerful for your own creatures (though not as ideal as the non-dazing version) and can help stack them on a single floor, or for splitting a tank away from the dps enemies so that your dudes with slay procs can slay the enemy. Quick helps immensely in the last couple of fights (and is a buff that awakened can provide), and once your creatures get going, you will wipe out the floor without a problem.

Spells can also just mitigate things by blowing the crap out of them. Leaving the bottom floor empty so that you can inferno it is a viable strategy - you'll cripple or kill almost all of the enemies in one cast. If you're running sharks, you have access to lots of damage spells that can help to mitigate things, as well as totems with incant to do fun stuff like give armor/frostbite/sap whenever you spam spells on the floor. One or two sap totems combined with casting 3-4 spells on a turn ends up with most enemies doing 0 damage, and you can get sap up to silly levels on seraphim.

My thought here was that blowing up little guys with spells is counter-synergistic with reaper, but i guess he should be able to pick up enough kills to ramp up anyway?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

My thought here was that blowing up little guys with spells is counter-synergistic with reaper, but i guess he should be able to pick up enough kills to ramp up anyway?

Ideally you want to blow up the big guys in front, or if not blow them up, chunk them down to the point where you can kill them. You can also put your dudes on the middle floor and then use the top floor to blow up the stragglers with magic.

My point generally here is that if your units aren't powerhouses out of the gate and need time to ramp up, then you need to buy that time somehow. That's actually one reason that incant is so strong - spells that you cast on a floor make that floor more likely to kill the enemies, and if all you have to do to make yourself stronger is cast spells on that floor (as opposed to slaying enemies directly), then it's easy to trigger that scaling.

Ultimately though, there are dozens of ways to win a given run, and you basically just need to find whatever niche your cards and artifacts are pointing you towards that is strong and exploit the hell out of that. If you want to, you can post a run that you have issues on (there's a button to turn a run summary into a challenge, and you can copy/paste the hyperlink) and I can take a stab at it and show you what I would have done.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dirk the Average posted:

Ideally you want to blow up the big guys in front, or if not blow them up, chunk them down to the point where you can kill them. You can also put your dudes on the middle floor and then use the top floor to blow up the stragglers with magic.

My point generally here is that if your units aren't powerhouses out of the gate and need time to ramp up, then you need to buy that time somehow. That's actually one reason that incant is so strong - spells that you cast on a floor make that floor more likely to kill the enemies, and if all you have to do to make yourself stronger is cast spells on that floor (as opposed to slaying enemies directly), then it's easy to trigger that scaling.

Ultimately though, there are dozens of ways to win a given run, and you basically just need to find whatever niche your cards and artifacts are pointing you towards that is strong and exploit the hell out of that. If you want to, you can post a run that you have issues on (there's a button to turn a run summary into a challenge, and you can copy/paste the hyperlink) and I can take a stab at it and show you what I would have done.

Thanks! Might get to another run tonight

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Here's one I managed to lose even with spikedrive colony :cripes: monstertrain://runresult/fc121fb5-f5e4-4834-89ec-957511dd63e6

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

Here's one I managed to lose even with spikedrive colony :cripes: monstertrain://runresult/fc121fb5-f5e4-4834-89ec-957511dd63e6

Here's my run of that seed: monstertrain://runresult/c64967e2-1729-4671-b953-bbd6b86f4903 (the last 3 artifacts were bought in the final shop, and honestly none of them were important)

I saw that the first store had a largestone, and the first unit offers were a frostbite shark or a siren. I took the wrathful champion, so he was going to go in front, which meant that the siren was a good pick. Hellhorned also has ascension cards (and I think the run started with one), so I knew I could stack 7 units on one floor regardless of size.

The next unit upgrade shop had a multistrike, so that went on the siren. The spikedriver colony got +15 attack and +10 health (and later +20 attack for having 4 of them) and they made good filler behind all of the sirens, whom I ended up duplicating 3 times. I picked up a frostbite shark later on that went on the bottom floor and died. In the final store I gave it endless and +25 health, and it was nice, but hardly super important. Mostly it just got rid of chaff.

I got a holdover hidden passage to build up the top floor, and my overall strategy was:

Top floor - Siren + Champ
Middle floor - Siren + spikedrivers (moving them to the top ASAP) with imps occasionally to take hits or give armor
Bottom floor - Sharks + imps to soften up enemies, but this wasn't important, just something I could do

As far as spells went, the goal was to just spam as many spells on the floor with the siren as possible. I did screw up and give one of my torches consume; I should have actually kept all of my 2 damage torches around because they were perfect for giving the champion rage stacks while buffing all of the sirens. Doublestack march of shields and alloy of the ancients were there to give the champ some armor in the initial phases before he built it up on his own.

And that was basically it. It was a pretty relaxing run due to having 4 giant sirens, some powerhouse spikedrivers, and being able to build up one giant top floor. I took every challenge that was offered to me and beat them all. I also took 0 pyre damage the whole run.

But yeah, the meta idea that I went with was finding something strong and leaning into it as hard as possible. Giant multistrike sirens are strong, and the ability to stack them is strong, and I got offered 2 out of 3 parts of that in the literal first store, so I took them and duplicated the crap out of them. There are lots of other ways that that run could have gone, but that's the path I chose due to seeing it early and being able to lean into it hard.

Edit: By the way, did you take any challenges? If you haven't been, start taking them. They make your deck much stronger much faster, and the stronger you are, the more challenges you can do, which means the stronger you get.

Edit 2: I'm taking a look at what you did on your run, and here's what stands out to me:

You took capacity twice. You have hidden passage and tiresome climb, which means you really, really didn't need capacity since you could just stack floors with those two spells. One large titan sentry would have been fine, but I don't think you needed the second (you also should probably have held out for something other than +10 strength on it; more health is usually stronger).

But really, the biggest issue you have is that you don't scale, and none of your units are all that powerful. The horned warrior is the heaviest hitter you've got, and he's not hitting that hard. You spent a lot of money on unit upgrades, and you're not getting much out of them. Conversely, you spent 0 gold on spells. Holdover hidden passage is great, doublestack march of shields is great, hell, even holdover siren's song makes the majority of waves super easy. Simple cost reductions on spells are likewise quite strong.

Basically, the capacity upgrades weren't helping you much, your units weren't all that great despite being heavily upgraded, and none of your spells were upgraded. The spikedriver colonies were also an issue - you should give them two upgrades before you let them die at all, since you get to make 4 of them basically for free. Largestone spikedrivers are amazing, but I'm not sure they were an option in this run.

Contrast that to my unit lineup - I upgraded one siren twice, then duplicated it 3 times. I upgraded the spikedriver colony twice with mediocre upgrades, then got 4 copies of it. The titan sentry wasn't even upgraded until I hit Seraph, and I basically didn't bother with my imps either, except to toss them out on a whim.

My spells were upgraded for cost reduction, and to make hidden passage holdover and march of shields doublestacked. The holdover passage let me stack up my floors (which meant that I went card draw and energy instead of capacity twice), and the doublestack march of shields gave me early armor when needed.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 28, 2020

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Finally got Dangerous Minds challenge done. Im convinced you should be able to do it with a good stygian deck but I never was able to get one going. In the end Shroud Mitosis on trample penumbra with stealth did the job but I almost lost from bad draws on seraph anyway. Just down to the last two challenges.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Really enjoying the new heroes (and starting cards), definitely breathes some new life into the game

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Well the new hellhorned champ comes with imps, why not force consumer?

monstertrain://runresult/3c77d334-ae57-4d8c-817b-71732daef10c

Really shaky run until the relics came in. Shardtail seems pretty reliant on getting some good picks early on. So far the rally version is my favorite, the other versions are cute but don't seem to cut it

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Solemn Sloth posted:

Really enjoying the new heroes (and starting cards), definitely breathes some new life into the game

I demand the new Stygian hero be renamed Frostbite Cephalopod as an homage to Mega Man X.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The exiled heroes all seem really good with 2 or 3 good paths each, but I'm not sure about the queen yet.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

OK well it looks like the devs agreed that frostbite Solgard was overpowered because they just nerfed him into the ground. He went from giving all enemies 1 frostbite per incant (+1 per upgrade) trigger on his action in combat to giving all enemies 2 frostbite per incant (+1 per upgrade) at the end of combat. That means A) he no longer kills backline enemies before they advance to the next floor, making him worthless as a top floor guardian, and B) he does zero damage to bosses.

Like, drat, he is utterly worthless now. I'd almost rather have just a random Stygian card rather than frostbite-Solgard.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 29, 2020

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Foo posted:

Trying... what?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dirk the Average posted:

Here's my run of that seed: monstertrain://runresult/c64967e2-1729-4671-b953-bbd6b86f4903 (the last 3 artifacts were bought in the final shop, and honestly none of them were important)

I saw that the first store had a largestone, and the first unit offers were a frostbite shark or a siren. I took the wrathful champion, so he was going to go in front, which meant that the siren was a good pick. Hellhorned also has ascension cards (and I think the run started with one), so I knew I could stack 7 units on one floor regardless of size.

The next unit upgrade shop had a multistrike, so that went on the siren. The spikedriver colony got +15 attack and +10 health (and later +20 attack for having 4 of them) and they made good filler behind all of the sirens, whom I ended up duplicating 3 times. I picked up a frostbite shark later on that went on the bottom floor and died. In the final store I gave it endless and +25 health, and it was nice, but hardly super important. Mostly it just got rid of chaff.

I got a holdover hidden passage to build up the top floor, and my overall strategy was:

Top floor - Siren + Champ
Middle floor - Siren + spikedrivers (moving them to the top ASAP) with imps occasionally to take hits or give armor
Bottom floor - Sharks + imps to soften up enemies, but this wasn't important, just something I could do

As far as spells went, the goal was to just spam as many spells on the floor with the siren as possible. I did screw up and give one of my torches consume; I should have actually kept all of my 2 damage torches around because they were perfect for giving the champion rage stacks while buffing all of the sirens. Doublestack march of shields and alloy of the ancients were there to give the champ some armor in the initial phases before he built it up on his own.

And that was basically it. It was a pretty relaxing run due to having 4 giant sirens, some powerhouse spikedrivers, and being able to build up one giant top floor. I took every challenge that was offered to me and beat them all. I also took 0 pyre damage the whole run.

But yeah, the meta idea that I went with was finding something strong and leaning into it as hard as possible. Giant multistrike sirens are strong, and the ability to stack them is strong, and I got offered 2 out of 3 parts of that in the literal first store, so I took them and duplicated the crap out of them. There are lots of other ways that that run could have gone, but that's the path I chose due to seeing it early and being able to lean into it hard.

Edit: By the way, did you take any challenges? If you haven't been, start taking them. They make your deck much stronger much faster, and the stronger you are, the more challenges you can do, which means the stronger you get.

Edit 2: I'm taking a look at what you did on your run, and here's what stands out to me:

You took capacity twice. You have hidden passage and tiresome climb, which means you really, really didn't need capacity since you could just stack floors with those two spells. One large titan sentry would have been fine, but I don't think you needed the second (you also should probably have held out for something other than +10 strength on it; more health is usually stronger).

But really, the biggest issue you have is that you don't scale, and none of your units are all that powerful. The horned warrior is the heaviest hitter you've got, and he's not hitting that hard. You spent a lot of money on unit upgrades, and you're not getting much out of them. Conversely, you spent 0 gold on spells. Holdover hidden passage is great, doublestack march of shields is great, hell, even holdover siren's song makes the majority of waves super easy. Simple cost reductions on spells are likewise quite strong.

Basically, the capacity upgrades weren't helping you much, your units weren't all that great despite being heavily upgraded, and none of your spells were upgraded. The spikedriver colonies were also an issue - you should give them two upgrades before you let them die at all, since you get to make 4 of them basically for free. Largestone spikedrivers are amazing, but I'm not sure they were an option in this run.

Contrast that to my unit lineup - I upgraded one siren twice, then duplicated it 3 times. I upgraded the spikedriver colony twice with mediocre upgrades, then got 4 copies of it. The titan sentry wasn't even upgraded until I hit Seraph, and I basically didn't bother with my imps either, except to toss them out on a whim.

My spells were upgraded for cost reduction, and to make hidden passage holdover and march of shields doublestacked. The holdover passage let me stack up my floors (which meant that I went card draw and energy instead of capacity twice), and the doublestack march of shields gave me early armor when needed.

hm thank you for all this. I think I'm overrating capacity and underrating spell upgrades overall.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I think they might have hit the right balance with Coldchannel Solgard now. Action trigger was too strong, Resolve trigger was garbage, but now it's on Revenge trigger and that feels right.

Also, I just got my first 2-win streak on Covenant 25. The first run was Spikes Slay Little Fade, a couple Sirens of the Sea, and a lot of incanting. The second run was Phased 1 Coldchannel 2 Solgard, a buff Siren of the Sea, an armor incant totem, a lot of regen from Awoken, and a lot of incanting.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I think they might have hit the right balance with Coldchannel Solgard now. Action trigger was too strong, Resolve trigger was garbage, but now it's on Revenge trigger and that feels right.

Agreed, Revenge feels pretty good. That version of Solgard is reasonably beefy, so he can stand up to the hits for the most part. I have had trouble keeping him alive against the "gives your front troop Melee Weakness" version of the final boss, though. That debuff is brutal.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Zurai posted:

Agreed, Revenge feels pretty good. That version of Solgard is reasonably beefy, so he can stand up to the hits for the most part. I have had trouble keeping him alive against the "gives your front troop Melee Weakness" version of the final boss, though. That debuff is brutal.

I had to play my armor incant totem in the front for the Seraph fight, which almost got my pyre killed due to things not hitting Solgard to trigger his Revenge, but I skated by with 9 pyre health somehow.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Quote this if you're down with Little Fade.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Kinda cheap way to get the achievements, but they're not disabled in Challenge Mode.

Took the Dante Mutator, Junked Ember (why yes, I would like my Dante to make 14 attacks a turn.), and prayed for a largestone early. Got one, and it was easy peasy the rest of the way (not many people can stand up to 14 40 attacks each, and when I duplicated Dante twice more during the run.. yeah, Seraph was lucky to make it to the final wave.)

Considering I just had Covenant 5 as my best before this..

If you want to: SuggestIgnoredHelena is the challenge code.

monstertrain://challenge/SuggestIgnoredHelena

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I'm torn on the new Seraph variant- on the one hand, it's a pretty good shakeup of things and really pressures you to build for it. On the other hand, it's really hard and I hate him :argh:

I'm digging Solgard, especially his frostbite variant, but he gets shut down hard by melee weakness and one of the best answers to that (daze) also means you need a really good lineup behind him or you will leak the wave.

Just have alt umbra and alt remnant left for a Cov 25 win now.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Gyshall posted:

Quote this if you're down with Little Fade.

They're good poo poo. I got the artifact that reduces monster costs by 2, so I was able to beef him way the hell up and then stick him behind a tank once he had like 120 attack.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

What are people shooting for with Shardtail Queen on Cov25 against Seraph the Patient? It sorta feels like all of her upgrade paths really struggle here because they all encourage or even demand playing a lot of units on floors as often as possible.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:tif:

Been really struggling with Shardtail so far but this run sure went places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

What are people shooting for with Shardtail Queen on Cov25 against Seraph the Patient? It sorta feels like all of her upgrade paths really struggle here because they all encourage or even demand playing a lot of units on floors as often as possible.

I used Umbra secondary, you want to find good units ASAP because as you point out Shardtail doesn't really do anything for you. In fact I don't really think she has a reliable path to staying relevant past the third ring or so, it just feels like a trap to try to build around what she offers.

Umbra has a decent amount of potential outs (wardens, the inert guy), and morsels are very useful as buffers to save your units from being vaporized by melee weakness.