Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Why do we allow Trump supporters (Republican party, most democrats) to exist?

because they agree with their rival political party on all of the issues important to rich people but crucially disagree on a few social issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Why do we allow Trump supporters (Republican party, most democrats) to exist?
because they're either stupid or assholes, we can't figure out which, and calling a stupid person an rear end in a top hat or an rear end in a top hat a stupid person is forbidden.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
americans are extremely averse to any form of introspection, so in order to avoid that, we keep a blatantly and comically evil group in power so we can continue to ignore our own implicitness

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

bUt THaT's ClAsSiC cUlT bEhAViOr

the cult behavior of trying to not get caught in a death cycle that will destroy everyone close to the person doing it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

ElGroucho posted:

If she was stupid enough to stay married to some loving chud, death was too good for her

Same goes for you dumb fucks who haven't disowned your friends and family for their fascist beliefs

lol

as if any of us deserve the mercy of death

taking a firm stand is cool, but there are people so immersed in this that its going full blast from everyone they know and lots of strangers

and lol if you arent dumb as gently caress, so....

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah, my hardcore MAGA CHUD boss is STILL going on and on about The Government as if DJT weren't president and Desantis weren't governor. Not even sure who the gently caress he's blaming anymore for the lovely way he runs his printing and graphics business or who exactly he thinks is in charge that's keeping him down but he's mad.

Mad at the nebulous Government.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, my hardcore MAGA CHUD boss is STILL going on and on about The Government as if DJT weren't president and Desantis weren't governor. Not even sure who the gently caress he's blaming anymore for the lovely way he runs his printing and graphics business or who exactly he thinks is in charge that's keeping him down but he's mad.

Mad at the Government.

I'm not saying that he's specifically being anti-semetic, but "the Government" is just "the Jews" in terms of its rhetorical function here.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

These people are incredibly loving stupid. Hth

Oh, and they think they're mega brain Einsteins. It's a fun mix!

*I can barely spell and haven't read a book since grade 4 but I know better than those filthy experts!!*

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

InsertPotPun posted:

because they're either stupid or assholes, we can't figure out which, and calling a stupid person an rear end in a top hat or an rear end in a top hat a stupid person is forbidden.

As a child I grew up attending a church wherein the Iraq War was none-too-subtly supported in 2002 on the basis that it would surely open up the country to missionary work. Years later, long after I left religion behind, I struggled with trying to understand the motive behind such cheerleading. Was it sheer ignorance, or maliciousness? Some kind of inherent pleasure from spreading error and hate? Recently I've come to the very middle-brow epiphany of not caring what the ratio of stupidity and evil is. I do think that grown adults burying their heads in the sand and on principle suspending their critical faculties is more of a moral failing than an intellectual one, however.

Part of the problem I feel is people reserving the critical point of view to their image of an outsider group while fortifying their blind spots. If you exhaustively investigate something critically from a narrow frame of reference, you get to feel the reassurance of having done thorough intellectual work without having to consider other perspectives like, for example, ones that might clash with your Just World point of view.

I think in most versions of the Emperor's New Clothes it's at least implied that there's some coercive threat at work to make people praise an absurdity, which makes our current reality all the more tragic where there's no halberd hanging over our necks; the threats the Facebook Yokels seem to care about are not climate change or a world-wide pandemic, but approval from their little online tribes. Even the more intellectual types of religious people from my childhood, the type who'd exhaustively read Dostoevsky and entertain non-literal interpretations of the Bible or whatever are now spending their twilight years posting anti-vaccine (in general, not just COVID) conspiracy stuff on Facebook.

I don't know if bitter vindication or smirking nihilism are the the healthiest emotions or outlooks, but they're about the only ones I've really been able to take refuge in during the last few years.

Ceramic Shot has issued a correction as of 02:10 on Aug 26, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe people believing in some made-up bullshit from 2000 years ago are also susceptible to believing current made-up bullshit.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Nothus posted:

Facebook murdered his wife and likely bankrupted him with medical bills.

I know it owns lol

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm not saying that he's specifically being anti-semetic, but "the Government" is just "the Jews" in terms of its rhetorical function here.

it’s this but also whatever other groups they might hate even if they aren’t anti semetic

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Fame Douglas posted:

Maybe people believing in some made-up bullshit from 2000 years ago are also susceptible to believing current made-up bullshit.

This is the correct answer

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

Cocaine Bear posted:

These people are incredibly loving stupid. Hth

Oh, and they think they're mega brain Einsteins. It's a fun mix!

*I can barely spell and haven't read a book since grade 4 but I know better than those filthy experts!!*

unfortunately the bulk of their opposition are liberals, who are so stupid they believe that anyone on the right believes in anything but violence and also that they are themselves incredibly smart

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Shear Modulus posted:

"the government" is everything bad about the government

stuff they like, like for example medicare or cops or trump, is not "the government"

I know they say it but that's very stupid. You can't argue the guy running the government isn't a part of it unless you're admitting he's there to destabilize the government

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I know they say it but that's very stupid. You can't argue the guy running the government isn't a part of it unless you're admitting he's there to destabilize the government

fortunately, the right has spent about two hundred years mastering the art of equivocation between their stated principles, which are a rhetorical defense against people with beliefs, and what they actually mean, which is a shared understanding based on group identity and capacity for violence on everything from grand and literal to incredibly petty and often metaphorical scale.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Admit? This is explicitly why most of them voted for him.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Penguissimo posted:

Admit? This is explicitly why most of them voted for him.

This. They wanted a government 'small enough to drown in the bath-tub' and don't give a gently caress that they are smaller than that and will also drown.

It's hard to find sympathy for people who deliberately kneecap themselves.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

J.A.B.C. posted:

This. They wanted a government 'small enough to drown in the bath-tub' and don't give a gently caress that they are smaller than that and will also drown.

It's hard to find sympathy for people who deliberately kneecap themselves.

the 2a guys that shot themselves in the dick are the perfect example of this.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well, speaking of drowning, I just got let go from my job for nebulous, made up reasons by a cabal of Republican know it alls and "The Two Bobs" newcomers who know how to kiss the right asses.

Yay me.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, speaking of drowning, I just got let go from my job for nebulous, made up reasons by a cabal of Republican know it alls and "The Two Bobs" newcomers who know how to kiss the right asses.

Yay me.

Judging by your posts about your job this may be a blessing in disguise.

Now see if you can be exiled from Florida.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Yay me.

Leave Florida immediately.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

One door closing is just another door opening to get out of florida

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BiggerBoat posted:

Yay me.

Escape from Florida.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

BiggerBoat posted:

Yay me.

I hope you can find a small, obnoxious sneeze-free silver lining in this.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

My son lives in Florida and I own a house outright here. BUt i appreciate the advice and you're not wrong.

Where should I flee to though? Where to run in a world built of assholes?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Tahiti.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

BiggerBoat posted:

My son lives in Florida and I own a house outright here. BUt i appreciate the advice and you're not wrong.

All the good answers are not America and thanks to your idiot government you can't do that. Stay strong and look for the positives.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Cleveland

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

Cocaine Bear posted:

All the good answers are not America and thanks to your idiot government you can't do that. Stay strong and look for the positives.

A critical mass of people could refuse the coronavirus vaccine meaning no country would allow Americans in.

Lol.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BiggerBoat posted:

hawaii

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Normally, I'd agree. The Forest City is cheap and the people are friendly.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

miniscule12 posted:

A critical mass of people could refuse the coronavirus vaccine meaning no country would allow Americans in.

Lol.

Could? Americapox gonna be with us till the end of humanity.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Lol

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

Cocaine Bear posted:

Could? Americapox gonna be with us till the end of humanity.

America will end well before the end of humanity.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Multiple Presidents of the United States of America agree: it rocks.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BiggerBoat posted:

North and/or West until it stops getting worse.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

The winters aren't great but Minnesota's a pretty nice place.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Cuba!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
upstate NY is pretty nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Zeroisanumber posted:

The winters aren't great but Minnesota's a pretty nice place.

Summers really aren't that much better tbh

Last few weeks of August through to Halloween are generally pretty muggy and buggy