Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's working today fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

astral posted:

Just a heads-up that I plan to fix the thing where the forums are turning the 'original breadcrumbs' navigation into the 'redesign breadcrumbs' navigation with the fancy hover menu using javascript for some reason instead of just outputting the redesigned version to begin with.

:siren: If you have a third-party app or script that relies on the current breadcrumbs structure sent in the initial document you may need to alter it! :siren:

Tentatively, the goal will be for the forums to spit out HTML nearly identical to the result of the JS, but we'll see how well that goes.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Re: gfycat embeds, I just want to test a couple, because I want to find out which ones do work.

url]https://thumbs.gfycat.com/JadedMenacingGuppy.mp4[/url]
url]https://thumbs.gfycat.com/JadedMenacingGuppy-mobile.mp4[/url]
url]https://giant.gfycat.com/JadedMenacingGuppy.mp4[/url]
url]https://giant.gfycat.com/JadedMenacingGuppy-mobile.mp4[/url]

In preview on the app, the ones with "-mobile" give a blank thumbnail, the others show the correct thumbnail. Let me see how it is in a real post.

E: works correctly for links without -mobile

E2: Let me just break these intentionally, otherwise this page is gonna suck on desktop all the time

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 24, 2020

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
After astral did some stuff, it is now possible to make different folders for your PMs, and I was wondering if that could be reflected in the awful app because right now all of my PMs are just in the inbox on the app.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

To be fair, it was always possible; it just was taking up to several days (or longer) to reflect that you'd changed any folders around. :)

And the UI is still extremely obtuse.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Are tweet embeds broken?

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
Broken for me

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
it might just be twitter. im browsing on a computer right now and tweets intermittently not loading.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Something changed and I can't figure if I did it or an update did it or what

Pulling right used to go to the main forums index, now it goes to a favorites screen

Can I change this back?

Edit: figured it out
The star at the top is the toggle

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 27, 2020

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Here's something weird: this guy has hosed up HTML img code that doesn't work on desktop but does... this.. on android.

Nothing to fix really other than that person's title, but for a minute I thought someone had pushed out an update to display gangtags.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Gangtags show up for anyone who doesn't have an avatar set iirc, I assume because the app just grabs the first image it sees in that space.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It’s been a while since I looked at this closely, but as best I can remember, avatars, gang tags, and custom titles are all just a big block of arbitrary html as far as any third-party app can tell. For example, there’s literally no way to distinguish between someone having a gang tag with no avatar and an avatar with no gang tag from the html alone. They both just show up as a single image.

That doesn’t explain the specifics of whatever’s going on with that user, but it’s not at all surprising that weird cases like that will come up any time an app tries to do anything with that chunk of the page other than display it exactly the same way it appears on the website.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Doesn't that create a lot of security issues?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

xtal posted:

When I say that it’s arbitrary html, I mean that it’s not structured or formatted in a way that the individual components can be identified by a parser with 100% accuracy. The real security risk is if SA itself lets users write arbitrary html, which I don’t think is the case (but I haven’t looked at it in ages). It’s not really any riskier than the way posts themselves are rendered.

(Disclaimer here that I’m not a security expert and I don’t even own an Android phone. My knowledge of this stuff is entirely based on my experience as a web developer and some contributions I’ve made to the iOS app, but for the stuff I’m talking about here, I believe the apps conceptually work the same way.)

Edit: oh yeah, if what’s happening here is that that user tried to manually enter an img tag and the website rendered it as text but the app displayed the image, that is a potential security issue. I have no idea if that’s what happened here or not though.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 27, 2020

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

xtal posted:

That is the least of this sites security issues

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vyst posted:

That is the least of this sites security issues

*Stands right behind your post*
*Injects SQL*

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I can no longer view the forums at large via the hamburger menu as of the new update. It merely takes me to a blank favorites list.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Agrinja posted:

I can no longer view the forums at large via the hamburger menu as of the new update. It merely takes me to a blank favorites list.

Push the star

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Thank you I'm dumb.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Agrinja posted:

Thank you I'm dumb.

I had the same problem like 6 posts upthread

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Ever since the last official update on the Google store (I did the update at some point in May-June) the app crashes for me after a while on my Samsung Galaxy Tab E 9.6 tablet. "After a while" in my case it's defined as anytime from 5 minutes to 50 or so (never gets that far). I loaded it up in Android Studio to see what's going on and my fears were confirmed: It's running out of memory.

It's a lovely tablet with 1.5GB of RAM, running Android 7.1.1 with Samsung Experience version 8.5. It was working fine before, for years. Has anything changed in the app itself lately that may be causing it to consume more memory? Or the underlying libraries/components? Do I really need to get a newer one?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I've noticed that links to Twitter posts get embedded as if they were a bare link. For example the following text is a link to a Twitter post which the website will render as a link, but the app will embed instead.

E: I'm pretty sure the same happens for links to Instagram.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 31, 2020

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Does the app do Instagram embedding? The website does not and I am of the opinion that it should not. I think it should be removed for liability reasons. I don't know who of the poster, the spp developers, or the site will be ultimately liable if the app embeds something without the creator's permission, but it's a bad situation.

See this article:
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/06/instagram-just-threw-users-of-its-embedding-api-under-the-bus/

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ColdPie posted:

I've noticed that links to Twitter posts get embedded as if they were a bare link. For example the following text is a link to a Twitter post which the website will render as a link, but the app will embed instead.

E: I'm pretty sure the same happens for links to Instagram.

The app has its own settings under Posts>Embedding, it has to be turned on there as well as on your forum options page.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Does the app do Instagram embedding? The website does not and I am of the opinion that it should not. I think it should be removed for liability reasons. I don't know who of the poster, the spp developers, or the site will be ultimately liable if the app embeds something without the creator's permission, but it's a bad situation.

See this article:
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/06/instagram-just-threw-users-of-its-embedding-api-under-the-bus/

The app has the option to embed Instagram that can be enabled or disabled separately from other sites if people want to turn it off for themselves, but maybe it should just be removed if it's a legal issue?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

See this article:

Zucked again!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Gadzuko posted:

The app has its own settings under Posts>Embedding, it has to be turned on there as well as on your forum options page.

Yeah I'm saying hyperlinked text shouldn't be replaced with the embed. Bare URLs should. The website works this way.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ColdPie posted:

Yeah I'm saying hyperlinked text shouldn't be replaced with the embed. Bare URLs should. The website works this way.

Sorry, I misread your post. I like the way the app works currently though because clicking through to a hyperlinked tweet is a significantly more annoying process on mobile than it is on desktop. Personally I would prefer that not change. If you need or want to prevent a tweet from embedding you can put a NWS tag in the post.

E: also right now if a tweet shows up as a hyperlink I know it's because it has been deleted, if this functionality were changed I would never be sure if it was a deleted tweet or a link

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 1, 2020

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The Twitter and Instagram api are also trash so it's usually the problem and not the app

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013
just saw a post in qcs that the app doesnt give you mod/admin buttons. phoneposting rn but who the hell develops this and can i get into your codebase to fix this lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Persiflagist posted:

just saw a post in qcs that the app doesnt give you mod/admin buttons. phoneposting rn but who the hell develops this and can i get into your codebase to fix this lol

please do. i finally got started on it in june and then lowtax happened, so was waiting for the purchase to go through. if you want to then more power to you.

i think if you look at my posts itt there was some good information given to me earlier in the year about approaches to this, etc.

e: the OP of the thread still has the right info. here's the development thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743815

and the github repository: https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Gadzuko posted:

Sorry, I misread your post. I like the way the app works currently though because clicking through to a hyperlinked tweet is a significantly more annoying process on mobile than it is on desktop. Personally I would prefer that not change. If you need or want to prevent a tweet from embedding you can put a NWS tag in the post.

E: also right now if a tweet shows up as a hyperlink I know it's because it has been deleted, if this functionality were changed I would never be sure if it was a deleted tweet or a link

The trouble is you lose the text of the hyperlink, so the sentence no longer makes sense and the paragraph is interrupted. Compare website vs app:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

ColdPie posted:

The trouble is you lose the text of the hyperlink, so the sentence no longer makes sense and the paragraph is interrupted. Compare website vs app:

If we're taking votes, I'd much rather have the Twitter links render and just not use hyperlinked text for Twitter. It's not a full article or a website--you can present the information you want with the embed.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The lost information is the link text

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ColdPie posted:

I didn't realize the text was being lost because your sentence actually still made sense without it :v:

Now that I see it though I agree. A hyperlink anchored to text like that should not be converted to an embed. I think all the current devs are waiting for the sale to go through before doing any more work on the app, though. We'll see what happens.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

When you tap on an image that's a URL, you only get the URL options, not the image options. It would be good to have both.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dabir posted:

When you tap on an image that's a URL, you only get the URL options, not the image options. It would be good to have both.

Yeah that is pretty obnoxious but I don't know how much code wizardry it would take to fix it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Agrinja posted:

Speaking of the favourites list, would it be possible to add a link to bookmarks at the top the same as you get in the regular forums list?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Skarsnik posted:

Speaking of the favourites list, would it be possible to add a link to bookmarks at the top the same as you get in the regular forums list?
Unless I'm misunderstanding, you can just favorite bookmarks like any other (sub)forum and it will appear at the top of the favorites list.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you can just favorite bookmarks like any other (sub)forum and it will appear at the top of the favorites list.

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Hello! Astral and Goons are Great told me you might be the people to talk to :) (thank you for the app btw!)

Anyway I'm in Australia and there seems to be a weird thing with probations displaying in the SA app. We tested it this morning (9:30 ish aest on Thurs September 10) and the app said my probe was starting in the future!

It's not catastrophic or anything, but I thought you guys might like to know

Edit: Astral is here already, hi Astral!