Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I read some of the Dragonlance books when I was a kid. I liked them at the time, but barely remember anything about them other than names of characters now. Same with RA Salvatore, I read at least one Drizzt novel and didn't hate it. Mostly what I remember from that is the general gist of Drow society and also, for some reason, the name of Drizzt's home city has stuck in my brain all these years. It's Menzoberranzan, and I kind of hope I spelled that wrong but I don't think I did.

Then I read the Hitchhiker's Guide series and (mostly) graduated to reading good books, with the major exception that I read and enjoyed the first like, 8-10? of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series as a teenager. I am very thankful for my luck that those books didn't manage to turn me into a gigantic shithead (in Goodkind's particular flavor of being a shithead, anyway) because I'm sure at that age I was prime for it.

Then as a young adult I discovered Terry Pratchett and I don't think I've read any fantasy other than Discworld since.

Special shout out to Lloyd Alexander, I desperately hope he didn't turn out to be a piece of poo poo. The Chronicles of Prydain were probably the first fantasy novels I read, and I loved them. Anyone else remember Glew? That guy was wild.

fake edit: also I read a bunch of Warcraft novels and even a couple of the Diablo and Starcraft ones as a teenager because I was a huge Blizzard fanboy. You can probably guess how fondly I remember those (hint: most of the Warcraft ones were written by Richard Knaak)

Bismuth posted:

Its such a good thing none of these are popular enough to have as much fan art as modern stuff does. Can you imagine like, hazbin hotel level fanart but for Gor?

lmao, gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Bismuth posted:

I wont abide by people dissing Le Guin

i'm channeling the book barnyard poster who tried to read the dispossessed and had to put it down SHAKING with RAGE because she obviously had no understanding of the immaculate science of economics

No Pants fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 27, 2020

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember a book from high school where there were humans and angel-like creatures, and every few years or so, a match between both groups would be picked by some god on high (turns out it was some ancient spaceship or some poo poo), and the pair had to sing some special song to keep the god happy. And then they'd have to stay together to do it again next time or something. And the angels could not get together or they'd make demons, so they could only gently caress humans. IIRC the story was about a human slave who had just been freed, and then was captured by the angels and told nope, you have to be with this one angel or the world ends, so you better be able to sing this song or we all die.

I cannot remember what the title was. Still better than The Hobbit.

This sounds sort of like the vaguely-remembered novel I came to post:

The only things I recall are that the titular elves were venerated as angels, to the point that a pair of inn maids have a long and scholarly debate about whether their ordure would smell of nothing or of the finest perfume, and that at the very end it's revealed that they're actually space aliens and maybe, not 100% on this, the setting turns out to be future Earth after they've ground it back to a medieval level of society.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 27, 2020

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

No Pants posted:

i'm channeling the book barnyard poster who tried to read the dispossessed and had to put it down SHAKING with RAGE because she obviously had no understanding of the immaculate science of economics

Holy gently caress lmao, I'm a huge nerd but this is like...I'd give that person a wedgie

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I want this thread to ruin the Spell Singer series for me now. I remember it as the innocent adventures of Dad Rock Bard in Furry Land, I am ready for the thread to pull back the curtain.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

No Pants posted:

His money is now her money. What more is there to understamd?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Not a bad novel but I think skipping Forgotten Realms timeline hundred(s) of years was a bad choice and I'm still salty. 3rd Edition FR had the best (imo) timeline and political balance.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I read the dark elf trilogy and icewind dale, and kept going after that but man that human chick they had for Drizzt's love interest just grated on me more and more and I might have dropped the series because of it

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

No Pants posted:

They need to stop egoizing.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I don't think it has any modern following whatsoever but wondering if anyone remembers reading anything by Dennis L. McKiernan? Even in elementary school I realized the Iron Tower trilogy was a carbon copy of Lord of the Rings, and twenty odd years later I have the explanation.

Seems he wrote the Silver Call books as an unauthorized sequel to Lord of the Rings about the dwarves reclaiming Moria, that the publisher's legal counsel strongly suggested he alter to an original setting. Then he took the logical next step of writing an ersatz Lord of the Rings so his sequel series would have something to be a sequel to. They are not particularly good.

He wrote a more original one in the same world about a dwarf guy and a human lady killing a rampaging dragon and another one about a group of heroes stopping a vampire lord that I liked a lot better as a kid, but no idea if they actually hold up at all or just look good in comparison.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Batterypowered7 posted:

Has anyone read the Coldfire Trilogy? It wasn't amazing, but it did have some things I did like. The planet the series takes place* in has some quirk where a person's mental state/thoughts affect the outcome of things, so things like firearms are super risky to use because even thinking about the possibility of a misfire can make one happen. In one of the books, the main character comes across a group of people so indoctrinated by a church to believe that their god protects them, that they can fire guns because they have absolute faith that nothing wrong will happen.

Well that's going to make my job of IT support and troubleshooting both much harder (the user causes the issue by thinking about it) and then I get to solve the issue by thinking I fixed it and convincing the user it's fixed.

...um, I think we're living in that universe.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

I have fond memories of reading RA Salvatore in the school library, along with a handful of CYOA's. I'm suddenly wondering if they were translated from english or not - probably yes, given that I was in early teens. Reading about Drizzt and his adventures was rad (though I only really remember a spooky crystal shard and an assassin who hated him a lot). It was years before I had a chance to actually try D&D in person, come to think of it.

How does the Dragonlance campaign fit into the cosmology with the books? I have a bunch of friends who ran the campaign (Age of Mortals, I think? Is there more than one?) and they said it was great fun. Is it about doing the things the characters do in the books, or is it a separate adventure?

I could only attend a few sessions since I live in another country now and someone played a kendar. It was sufficient to convince me that yes, death to all kendars. But the bit about a huge part of the land being a giant lake/sea because the gods threw a mountain at a dude seemed like a cool bit of flavor to the world.

Aeble fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 27, 2020

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I know this post is from a couple days ago, but this is the edition of The Hobbit that my dad read to me when I was little, and he put masking tape over the illustration on the cover because he didn't want to taint my imagination. I peeled it off when we were done and man was he correct.

smart dad

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Comstar posted:

Well that's going to make my job of IT support and troubleshooting both much harder (the user causes the issue by thinking about it) and then I get to solve the issue by thinking I fixed it and convincing the user it's fixed.

...um, I think we're living in that universe.

That sounds like how every IT ticket I open gets "resolved".

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Sanderson is alright, but I'm getting really confused by people acting like he's The Most Important Fantasy Author Of The Modern Era, on account of his revolutionary, trailblazing idea of Hard Fantasy.

It's good to have consistent rules to your magic, but a lot of his action scenes are just incredibly dull. It turns into a series of supertechnical Uses Of Power about as exciting as reading a combat log in a videogame. He did this, but the other character did this, and so he responded with a [Power] used on the wall behind him and this happened, and so... He also breaks his own Rules, for all that people make a big deal of them. Sooner or later, super-gods who don't follow the established rules show up, and the heroes will discover a new powers, and things get solved by a brand new solution that conveniently appeared just in time to solve the big problem.

His Hard Magic also tends to read like superhero superpowers more than anything else. That's not a coincidence, either. He did write a love-letter-to-superheroes type of YA series. The powers were handled the same exact way, and it felt way more natural in a world full of skintight spandex.

Mind, you really have to respect just how incredibly prolific he is. He's just constantly writing new books, new stand-alones, and new settings.

his battle scenes in wheels of times def read like combat logs from bideo james too

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

When I was a DM I loved Kender.

I used them to annoy my players all the time.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Someone mentioned Farseer trilogy itt is it any good? I read the first book when I was in highschool and all I remember is a sad clown and some dude being angsty about getting laid and then faking his death.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Ravenloft, iirc, had special rules about making kenders sad and horrified.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Two books that I didn’t get what all the fuss was about: The Black Company by Glen Cook and Night Watch by Lukyanenko. Both have really awesome concepts and do some interesting world building in the narrative. But almost all of the awesome action takes place off screen.

“Our factions are lead by once-human-almost-immortals with sweeping powers, and while they battle, I, the narrator, will go off to make a sandwich, and occasionally mention the flashes of fire and lightening I notice outside... Oh, and later it will come out that me making a sandwich was just the diversion our side needed to tip the scales.”

If I’m off base, someone please set me straight about why. Maybe I’m just deaf to the themes, tone, mood etc. I want to like these books, but found them more mundane than I expected.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

CPA Hell posted:

Two books that I didn’t get what all the fuss was about : The Black Company by Glen Cook and Night Watch by Lukyanenko. Both have really awesome concepts and do some interesting world building in the narrative. But almost all of the awesome action takes place off screen.

“Our factions are lead by once-human-almost-immortals with sweeping powers, and while they battle, I, the narrator, will go off to make a sandwich, and occasionally mention the flashes of fire and lightening I notice outside... Oh, and later it will come out that me makings a sandwich was just the diversion our side needed to tip the scales.”

If I’m off base, someone please set me straight about why. Maybe I’m just deaf to the themes, tone, mood etc. I want to like these books, but found them more mundane than I expected.

I think black company came out at a time when everyone was trying to be Tolkein Mk2 and it was a unique throwback to older fantasy which was much grittier and amoral. I agree it was a cool idea that didn't quite live up to its potential. Like it's fun to read the logs and gradually realize the company is working for Not-Sauron but I never felt it took that in an interesting direction.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Galewolf posted:

I'm glad of it.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Galewolf posted:

They even have a special variant kender:

quote:

Habitat/Society: The kender vampire is a solitary creature that exists only to do the bidding of Lord Soth of Sithicus. He is the father of their race, and, although they despise him for what he has done to them, they are unable to turn against him or act in any way contrary to his interests.

Knowing the revulsion that the elves who live in his domain feel for all manner of unnatural things, Soth felt that he could find no better slaves than a band of undead. Aware that undead elves might pose a threat to his own power, Soth set about the creation of a new breed of undead. Drawing a small kender village through the misty veils of Ravenloft and into his domain, he had them killed one by one so that he could study their sufferings and invoke carefully designed magical rituals over their bodies in attempts to make them rise as undead. By the time he had finished with these sad kender, fully half of them had died horrible deaths and suffered unspeakable torment at the hand of the dreaded deathknight. The results of his experiments were, however, satisfactory to Soth, for he discovered a formula that would create a race of vampires utterly loyal to him. It is believed that Soth has created no fewer than 10 such monsters and no more than 30, although hard evidence to support any given estimate is hard to come by.

Ecology: Kender vampires can exist only within the confines of Lord Soth’s domain of Sithicus. They are tied to that dark land in some mystical way that, no doubt, relates to the evil magic used in their creation. It is possible that Lord Soth was required to invoke the favor of the Dark Powers in his creation of these dreaded monsters and, thus, that he has paid some horrible price for their loyalty to him.

Despite their links to Sithicus, the vampire kender are not natural creatures and, therefore, have no place in the biology of the world around them. The elves in Sithicus can sense the presence of one of these creatures whenever it comes within 100 yards of them. At first, the elves feel only a curious sense of concern or dread; but, as the monster draws nearer, the feeling intensifies into one of loathing and horror. The elves describe these sad creations as vile pollutants that foul the living by their mere presences. It is unclear why only those elves native to Sithicus can sense the kender vampire so easily.

Unlike the other vampires in Ravenloft, these creatures do not grow more powerful with the passing of time. It is a part of their curse that they must forever remain as they are, denied the pleasures of curiosity or the wanderlust that once gave their lives meaning. It is said that the rising of the full moon reminds these tragic souls of what they have lost and that, on that one night each month, they are unable to do anything but sit and weep beside the coffin that now serves them as both home and prison.

Lord Soth did nothing wrong. :colbert:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Whoever wrote that really hates kender

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Whoever wrote that really hates kender

Probably because they’re horrible little shits. They also wear man buns, which is also awful.

Edit: I swear i saw an official illustration of a kender with a man bun at least once

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 27, 2020

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Xenocides posted:

Yeah I was thinking that and about to post it on my computer.

That old school Thomas M. Baxa art is just :discourse:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Also lol kender vampires gently caress you up in combat, save vs paralyze (lol good luck if you are not a fighter) on touch and Wis and Int drain with no save.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The Night Watch (Russian one not TP) had a hilarious movie back in maybe 2003. The bad guy pulls out his spine and beats people up with them while good guys use fluorescent light bulbs as lightsabers

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Shageletic posted:

I read these books! Well the first one. It was fuckign awesome!

e: I was so disappointed with the Disney movie Black Cauldron.

The artwork in the Disney movie was great, and their version of the Horned King was really metal, but they made the protagonists far to cutesy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pts8XVwXe7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBA4SBcPSMM

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

The Night Watch (Russian one not TP) had a hilarious movie back in maybe 2003. The bad guy pulls out his spine and beats people up with them while good guys use fluorescent light bulbs as lightsabers

I remember seeing the trailer for that, the CGI looked pretty lol even for 2003 post Matrix craze.

Speaking about bad movies, the Vin Diesel's The Last Witch Hunter is extremely bad but the opening is pretty it and should be made into a separate movie imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt-zQ_EzPsY

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Xenocides posted:

:lmao:

bonus:

https://lexicon.dragonlancenexus.com/index.php/Tickelmop_Toothfang

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.

Bismuth posted:

I seriously dont get why these assholes didnt just leave. My theory is that Pern was actually an australia-style prison colony where earth shipped all their perverts to.

I know this is an old thing to quote but that's basically the plot of Jane Yolen's Pit Dragon books. ( The planet is called AustarIV) I read those at like age 7 or 8 and barely remember a bunch of cringey stuff that maybe others can verify or not.

Main character ( a boy) has an effeminate, fawning boy lusting for him the whole first book and it's weird. He also goes to try to save a (underage?) girl who specifically stated to be a prostitute. The girl is also his slavemaster's daughter and he basically says he can bone her if he saves her? People crawling into dragon vaginas to do like a rebirth thing to gain psychic powers? uh, lots and lots of weird stuff.

Prince Reggie K fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 27, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Prince Reggie K posted:

I know this is an old thing to quote but that's basically the plot of Jane Yolen's Pitt Dragon books. ( The planet is called AustarIV) I read those at like age 7 or 8 and barely remember a bunch of cringey stuff that maybe others can verify or not.

Main character ( a boy) has an effeminate, fawning boy lusting for him the whole first book and it's weird. He also goes to try to save a (underage?) girl who specifically stated to be a prostitute. The girl is also his slavemaster's daughter and he basically says he can bone her if he saves her? People crawling into dragon vaginas to do like a rebirth thing to gain psychic powers? uh, lots and lots of weird stuff.

I'm pretty sure I read that series around the same age as you did, and I don't remember anything about it other than one of the kids' dragons dies.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Many people I know hated Baxa but I always found his Darksun art fitting to the setting and it grew one but a kender vampire will never not be lol.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

i feel like they missed an opportunity by not making the sling on top of the hoopac bat-shaped

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Galewolf posted:

Many people I know hated Baxa but I always found his Darksun art fitting to the setting and it grew one but a kender vampire will never not be lol.

He did good work, I think, even if the setting wasn't the best. But was better than Dragonlance.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

i feel like they missed an opportunity by not making the sling on top of the hoopac bat-shaped

:lol:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I read dragonlance for a while when young and all I remember is the mage guy being an insufferable prick who needed a wedgie.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

I read dragonlance for a while when young and all I remember is the mage guy being an insufferable prick who needed a wedgie.

Raistlin was the perfect storm of edgelord-ism and 90s/00s angst (imo). (I know the books were like late ish 80 iirc.)

Surrounded by bunch of slamchads with bulging muscles, hot pristesses and elven ladies and he was like "Studied the Blade Magic Missile" and his reaction to allegedly having a half -hot- ogre daughter is "Lol if I had sex with a 2 metre tall blue goddess, I think I would've remembered"

I swear the books started playing Trapt in the background during his sections.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 27, 2020

Epic Mount
Jun 18, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

I remember tossing the books when Raistlin and his brother Caramon were camping. Caramon asks his brother what the name of some spice was that sounded like their last name. Raistlin says "Marjoram.....it's called Marjoram......" and passes out

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Peak Raistlin is him losing his goddamn mind over fake Caramon being able to cast lightning bolt and being like "Oh, this? I was always able to do it but never thought it would be useful" during his test.

Him going super saiyan and obliterating his own brother but getting Red Robes instead of Black ones is some "gently caress you, fifty points to Gryffindor" poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Galewolf posted:

Raistlin was the perfect storm of edgelord-ism and 90s/00s angst (imo). (I know the books were like late ish 80 iirc.)

Surrounded by bunch of slamchads with bulging muscles, hot pristesses and elven ladies and he was like "Studied the Blade Magic Missile" and his reaction to allegedly having a half -hot- ogre daughter is "Lol if I had sex with a 2 metre tall blue goddess, I think I would've remembered"

I swear the books started playing Trapt in the background during his sections.

Moorcock did it better with Elric.

Galewolf posted:

Peak Raistlin is him losing his goddamn mind over fake Caramon being able to cast lightning bolt and being like "Oh, this? I was always able to do it but never thought it would be useful" during his test.

Him going super saiyan and obliterating his own brother but getting Red Robes instead of Black ones is some "gently caress you, fifty points to Gryffindor" poo poo.

According to at least one of the players in the original campaign the player mostly just conveyed a crochety guy who managed to convey always hiding secrets. The backstory of the Test came later and not from that campaign.

I really wonder about the player who was Riverwind in the original campaign. His schtick is saying virtually nothing and being completely forgettable. Maybe he was min-maxed for combat?