Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

NaanViolence posted:

I guess I'll address this dumb whataboutism.

It's a matter of population. China has always been big and then Mao's dumb rear end encouraged Chinese to have way too many kids until it became necessary to implement the one-child policy. America has always been an incredibly lovely polluter and needs to evolve as well but we have less than 25% of the population.

It's okay for the white men to industrialize first and thus pollute the world, but now we must prevent the rest of the non-white world to do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's okay for the white men to industrialize first and thus pollute the world, but now we must prevent the rest of the non-white world to do it!

Uninterrupted's alt spotted. Do not engage.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Uninterrupted's alt spotted. Do not engage.

not everyone reacting in disgust to orientalist propaganda about how we need to kill the chinese because they’ll turn into sentient gray goo and consume Nobel White Resources is me, dude

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

uninterrupted posted:

not everyone reacting in disgust to orientalist propaganda about how we need to kill the chinese because they’ll turn into sentient gray goo and consume Nobel White Resources is me, dude

come on nobody wants to kill them, just to smash the country with enough crippling sanctions that are high crimes in itself that they do something to actually warrant a hot war

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Professorjuggalo posted:

come on nobody wants to kill them, just to smash the country with enough crippling sanctions that are high crimes in itself that they do something to actually warrant a hot war

This is objectively true.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

NaanViolence posted:

The difference is that Taiwan didn't conquer other peoples before or after they evolved.

Well yeah as long as you conveniently ignore the forty year ethnic dictatorship that the government was founded upon

stephenthinkpad posted:

So was Sikkim, Bhutan, Goa, none of these kingdom previously belong to any former pre-Westphalian empires. The Chinese just better at annexing and unifying bordering kingdoms than the Indians. There are tons of people deserve their own nation states. Who is fighting for the Kurds?

Do you know India still has active Maoist guerilla in south eastern "tribal" hills? I am not talking about regions that bordering Pakistan and China. India is just so bad at governing all of its poor regions no news agency bother to cover the Nexalite belt. Also India is not fighting the Game of Throne with the US.

A lot of that has to do with "India" as a unified national entity being a relatively recent concept in comparison to China. The centuries of cultural assimilation and economic integration that occured in China simply haven't occured in India yet (if this process occurs at all)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
i like it when people loudly worry about chinese pollution, as though their carbon production per capita were not lower than hours and as if their government weren't taking much more drastic steps to shift their energy dependence to renewables

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

do you suppose there are chinese expat forums where they get mad about how fat and backwards we stupid occidentals are and that we all piss in the street because they saw a homeless guy do it once

turkish people have this. i’m guessing nearly any online community of immigrants (“expats,” as they say) does. everyday scenes in american cities created by policing, mental illness, addiction, and the reactions of other people can be pretty stunning to newcomers, especially in contrast to the surrounding wealth and whatever image they had of the usa before migrating to cities that have sidewalks littered with human feces and syringes.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

NaanViolence posted:

East Turkestan and Tibet are very large countries which were stolen. Their inhabitants were persecuted and continue to be persecuted. China would also love to steal Taiwan, parts of India, and the South China Sea.

China did bring a ton of people out of poverty and does provide stability for billions of people, but it is also an imperialist empire. It's not clear at all that other forms of government wouldn't have brought them out of poverty given that poverty is not the historical average for China.

when you talk about imperialism what do you mean? is it something you view as the occupation of land and the subjugation of its people? are there any aspects related to production and accumulation, and is it part of some kind of process or stage you can name?

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think at least most green oriented Marxists have to acknowledge that the West does have to deindustrialize and replace most of the remaining industrial infrastructure with green technology. We have to get ride of a car centered culture, factory farmed meat, a disposable consumer culture etc. to have a chance to survive the next few centuries.

While I agree that people who blame China for climate change are a bunch of western chauvinists, let's not frame it as "The West got to live in the riches of this extremely wasteful and destructive way of life, so let's let everyone else do it too!".

Bookchin mentioned that the best thing American Leftists could do for the third world was to agitate for the destruction of American Capitalism.

mawarannahr posted:

when you talk about imperialism what do you mean? is it something you view as the occupation of land and the subjugation of its people? are there any aspects related to production and accumulation, and is it part of some kind of process or stage you can name?

I haven't read Lenin,yet however Ardennes mentioned that Lenin didn't consider the subjugation of states by larger states as imperialism. Even if this is the case, I think it's the wrong way to frame things. If I went to someone and said that the erasure of someone's culture and religion isn't imperialism due to some arcane definition, they'd probably be repulsed by what I'm saying, even if they were to be otherwise sympathetic. Preservation of things like Culture, and Religion mean alot to people. There's a reason why Residential Schools are considered a form of Genocide, so it's pretty upsetting to see people here say that the Uighur Re-education camps aren't "really genocide" because they're more like the residential school, or how the whole situation is a natural consolidation of Uighurs into Han identity or whatever.

I'm rambling now about this but I just can't understand why western ML's get so caught up on defending this kind of behaviour by the Chinese State. I get that the US's motivations for condemning this is for lovely, ulterior motives, I really do. But I can't get over how people are OK with this.

ToxicAcne has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Aug 27, 2020

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the question is what aspects of the culture are being erased
if it's something like female genital mutilation i don't give a gently caress

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/meghara/status/1298932743724847104?s=19

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ToxicAcne posted:

I haven't read Lenin,yet however Ardennes mentioned that Lenin didn't consider the subjugation of states by larger states as imperialism. Even if this is the case, I think it's the wrong way to frame things. If I went to someone and said that the erasure of someone's culture and religion isn't imperialism due to some arcane definition, they'd probably be repulsed by what I'm saying, even if they were to be otherwise sympathetic. Preservation of things like Culture, and Religion mean alot to people. There's a reason why Residential Schools are considered a form of Genocide, so it's pretty upsetting to see people here say that the Uighur Re-education camps aren't "really genocide" because they're more like the residential school, or how the whole situation is a natural consolidation of Uighurs into Han identity or whatever.

I'm rambling now about this but I just can't understand why western ML's get so caught up on defending this kind of behaviour by the Chinese State. I get that the US's motivations for condemning this is for lovely, ulterior motives, I really do. But I can't get over how people are OK with this.

To put it more precisely, Lenin really didn’t value the importance of bourgeoisie states on their own. Also, in context of Menshevik Georgia, it has been a German protectorate until Nov 1918 and wasn’t really seen as legitimate by portions of the Central Committee.

As for China and the Uyghurs, it goes back to Soviet nationalities policy and how the Soviets put an emphasis on reforming culture to a certain ideal. Turning shrines into museums, making mandarin education mandatory, and monitoring religious services are all apart of that. Also, so it reserving certain positions for local minorities.

(Btw I think there is a difference between Canadian residency schools since Canada wanted ( or seemed like it did at least ) to eradicate the identity of native peoples entirely but China wants Uyghur identity to follow a heavily codified form.)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ardennes posted:

(Btw I think there is a difference between Canadian residency schools since Canada wanted ( or seemed like it did at least ) to eradicate the identity of native peoples entirely but China wants Uyghur identity to follow a heavily codified form.)

this seems like splitting hairs

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

indigi posted:

The question then becomes what assimilationist policies are deliberately genocidal or not. If they all are (including in Western countries): so be it.

If it is something in between then it gets more tricky.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:35 on Aug 27, 2020

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

Active total erasure of a culture from the face of the earth vs. tolerating it if it stays in a stereotype shaped box

the latter is a crime against humanity as well, but if you're in the latter group, moving into the former group would not seem like splitting hairs

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Ardennes posted:

This is still awful though. Why should Han Chinese decide what another groups culture should and should not be? How is another group of people getting to decide what is authentic or inauthentic about someone else's culture not imperialism?

Doctor Jeep posted:

The British justified Indian colonialism on the basis of getting rid of backwards practices like Sati. Not to justify poo poo like FGM but "forcing these backwards savages to give up their hosed up practices" is a classic excuse by imperialists.

ToxicAcne has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Aug 27, 2020

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
a good example would be communist Somalia

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/10/11/archives/somalia-trys-to-live-by-both-the-koran-and-das-kapital.html

my mom grew up without wearing a hijab/wearing bikinis to beaches under a totally Islamic country. it doesn’t have to be either/or with these things and if communist Somalia was around today I’m sure people in this very thread would be saying ‘so what if al shabaab practices FGM it doesn’t justify a oppressive imperial regime’ (and as you can see now religion and culture haven’t been stamped out in Somalia)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ToxicAcne posted:

This is still awful though. Why should Han Chinese decide what another groups culture should and should not be? How is another group of people getting to decide what is authentic or inauthentic about someone else's culture not imperialism?

The British justified Indian colonialism on the basis of getting rid of backwards practices like Sati. Not to justify poo poo like FGM but "forcing these backwards savages to give up their hosed up practices" is a classic excuse by imperialists.

Granted, in the context of the PRC, they also claim to view pre revolutionary Han behavior as at least ideologically barbaric and that Mandarin is necessary as a common form of national communication.

In that sense at least, it is different than traditional European colonialism.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Professorjuggalo posted:

a good example would be communist Somalia

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/10/11/archives/somalia-trys-to-live-by-both-the-koran-and-das-kapital.html

my mom grew up without wearing a hijab/wearing bikinis to beaches under a totally Islamic country. it doesn’t have to be either/or with these things and if communist Somalia was around today I’m sure people in this very thread would be saying ‘so what if al shabaab practices FGM it doesn’t justify a oppressive imperial regime’ (and as you can see now religion and culture haven’t been stamped out in Somalia)

However this was an indigenous movement imposing these kinds of policies on their own population. Nasser in Egypt was pretty similar, as was Ataturk in his capacity as an anti-imperialist

Edit: My grandparents had a similar experience under Ayub Khan's Pakistan (Although he was an American stooge). Kind of crazy that the whole Muslim world' s leadership was secular and then it just...disappeared (in large part due to US imperialism).

Massive derail sorry, just interesting to point out.

ToxicAcne has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Aug 27, 2020

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ToxicAcne posted:

However this was an indigenous movement imposing these kinds of policies on their own population. Nasser in Egypt was pretty similar, as was Ataturk in his capacity as an anti-imperialist.

Uh tell that to the Kurds.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

ToxicAcne posted:

However this was an indigenous movement imposing these kinds of policies on their own population. Nasser in Egypt was pretty similar, as was Ataturk in his capacity as an anti-imperialist.

‘indigenous’ to border laws created after the scramble of Africa, Somalia is constructed of 5 major clans and was one of the first things siad barre focused on after creating a script for the country (and had a lot to do with how the country collapsed)

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Ardennes posted:

Uh tell that to the Kurds.

Ya my bad that slipped my mind. But the point is that the secularist stuff came from Turks/ Egyptians/Somalian leadership.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Doctor Jeep posted:

Evidence is for,

10s of thousands to hundreds of thousands of people going through compulsory 'vocational' schools where they learn some skills as well as practice patriotism and mandarin
Which leads to kids being separated from families, sent to boarding schools
Not being allowed to speak Uyghur language at school in general
Islamic practices being curtailed, no separation of 'normal' practice from 'extreme'
Mosques and cultural/ religious sites including graves being desecrated / abandoned
In 2009? Internet was basically shut off in Xinjiang, around the time of the attacks.

Most other cultural stuff is protected / left alone. China likes to protect a stereotype of a culture, traditional clothing, dance, food, and marriage rituals... Stuff like that. China petitioned UNESCO to protect some Uighur cultural traditions in 2010, one of only 7 things China has ever listed as 'in urgent need of cultural protection'.

Then there's other stuff like people don't like interracial marriage/dating, people moving out of traditional homes into apartment blocks, muslims drinking alcohol... stuff I think is part of normal life and not willful mass punishment or imperialist cultural destruction. In modernity all that is solid melts into air after all.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

ToxicAcne posted:

However this was an indigenous movement imposing these kinds of policies on their own population. Nasser in Egypt was pretty similar, as was Ataturk in his capacity as an anti-imperialist

Edit: My grandparents had a similar experience under Ayub Khan's Pakistan (Although he was an American stooge). Kind of crazy that the whole Muslim world' s leadership was secular and then it just...disappeared (in large part due to US imperialism).

Massive derail sorry, just interesting to point out.

Something I learnt recently, not only was India's first Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru an atheist; even Pakistan's founding father, Muhammad Ali Jinnah was also an atheist. In other words, the motives of having a separated nation for the Muslim population of the subcontinent was not a religious argument!

However since the partition, Pakistan has turned into Sunni theocratic state. And the long-time ruling party of India, the Congress party who at least pay lip service to pluralism, has seen its own destrouction by the hard-nosed, Muslim-hating Hindu-nationist BJP.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Again a further derail, but I wouldn't go as far as to call Pakistan a Sunni Theocratic state. Really it's the Military in charge, although it still has to placate the religious leaders quite often. It's not like Iran or Taliban controlled Afghanistan where the Mullahs are at the top of the hierarchy. Actually alot of the Pakistani elite are Shia like the Bhutto family, Zardari, Musharraf, and even Jinnah himself, it's just that they try to not mention it at all or in Jinnah's case lie about him converting to Sunnism on his deathbed.

Edit: Should mention that Shias are still actively poo poo upon by a huge portion of the population and many Sunni Mullahs stir up hatred against them, it's just that at the state level its a lot more quiet.

ToxicAcne has issued a correction as of 01:17 on Aug 28, 2020

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Ardennes posted:

Granted, in the context of the PRC, they also claim to view pre revolutionary Han behavior as at least ideologically barbaric and that Mandarin is necessary as a common form of national communication.

In that sense at least, it is different than traditional European colonialism.

European historical narratives have this whole thing called the "Dark Ages" where they viewed their ancestors as barbarians too.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Rimusutera posted:

European historical narratives have this whole thing called the "Dark Ages" where they viewed their ancestors as barbarians too.

For the China, the Chinese Civil War is still in living memory, as is the massive social shift of the 1950s/1960s. The Cultural Revolution itself was a cultural shift, even if it also touched elements of Western culture in Chinese society. Han culture hasn't been sitting there untouched.

That said, part of modern state Chinese culture obviously favors Han people who are Mandarin-speaking since it is their native language...although other Han people (quite a few of them aren't native speakers of Mandarin) have to learn Mandarin as well (I believe roughly 30% of the population).

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Ardennes posted:

For the China, the Chinese Civil War is still in living memory, as is the massive social shift of the 1950s/1960s. The Cultural Revolution itself was a cultural shift, even if it also touched elements of Western culture in Chinese society. Han culture hasn't been sitting there untouched.

The Renaissance was ongoing / within living memory when Columbus set sail. This argument that its different from how Europeans did it because Han Chinese people view a previous period in their cultural history as 'barbaric' isn't a particularly good one when you realize Europeans have thought this same way about themselves and their relation to being more or less civilized, oft frequently.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Rimusutera posted:

The Renaissance was ongoing / within living memory when Columbus set sail. This argument that its different from how Europeans did it because Han Chinese people view a previous period in their cultural history as 'barbaric' isn't a particularly good one when you realize Europeans have thought this same way about themselves and their relation to being more or less civilized, oft frequently.

The Renaissance wasn't a cultural purge, the 1950s/1960s were in China. Religion in China and certain cultural elements are still heavily regulated. The is a reason why "ghosts" and "supernatural elements" are banned in media in China.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/DailySignal/status/1299067410843041792

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lol come on that's a heritage foundation website

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's literally a plot point from a Tom Clancy novel.

A Chinese Baptist living in Beijing asks for help from his priest because his wife just went into labor and it's their second child so he fears that the hospital is going to kill the baby just after it crowns. A CNN camera crew covering trade negotiations between the US and China took a break from their regular beat to visit the parish priest, who's also being visited by the Papal Nuncio at the time. The man gets to the priest, appeals for intervention, and the priest, the Papal Nuncio, and the CNN crew all decide to go to the hospital together after hearing his story.

They get to the hospital just as the man's wife is giving birth, and they stop the doctor just as he's about to inject the baby's skull with formaldehyde. A Chinese police officer runs into the room to stop the group, a struggle breaks out, and the cop shoots and kills the man, the priest and the Nuncio, all in view of the CNN camera crew.

Later, the Baptist congregation holds a small demonstration in front of the priest's house, in protest of the government cremating the priest's body and dumping the ashes into a river without ever consulting with the priest's widow. The local police are sent over to break up the protest, and they brutalize the protesters - the CNN camera crew happens to capture this yet again, and the cameraman does some quick sleight-of-hand to prevent the tape from getting confiscated by the authorities. They broadcast the footage back to CNN HQ in Atlanta, and the very graphic imagery motivates the world to impose massive economic sanctions on China. Facing impending collapse, they decide to invade Siberia, and the US finds itself allied with a democratic Russia to resist Chinese aggression.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ardennes posted:

The is a reason why "ghosts" and "supernatural elements" are banned in media in China.

that is....insane

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's literally a plot point from a Tom Clancy novel.

A Chinese Baptist living in Beijing asks for help from his priest because his wife just went into labor and it's their second child so he fears that the hospital is going to kill the baby just after it crowns. A CNN camera crew covering trade negotiations between the US and China took a break from their regular beat to visit the parish priest, who's also being visited by the Papal Nuncio at the time. The man gets to the priest, appeals for intervention, and the priest, the Papal Nuncio, and the CNN crew all decide to go to the hospital together after hearing his story.

They get to the hospital just as the man's wife is giving birth, and they stop the doctor just as he's about to inject the baby's skull with formaldehyde. A Chinese police officer runs into the room to stop the group, a struggle breaks out, and the cop shoots and kills the man, the priest and the Nuncio, all in view of the CNN camera crew.

Later, the Baptist congregation holds a small demonstration in front of the priest's house, in protest of the government cremating the priest's body and dumping the ashes into a river without ever consulting with the priest's widow. The local police are sent over to break up the protest, and they brutalize the protesters - the CNN camera crew happens to capture this yet again, and the cameraman does some quick sleight-of-hand to prevent the tape from getting confiscated by the authorities. They broadcast the footage back to CNN HQ in Atlanta, and the very graphic imagery motivates the world to impose massive economic sanctions on China. Facing impending collapse, they decide to invade Siberia, and the US finds itself allied with a democratic Russia to resist Chinese aggression.

I wonder if other countries have guys who write stories like this, that are just dumb as hell but fun in that really stupid self serious way

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why would invading siberia prevent the collapse of china were they running out of snow

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Grapplejack posted:

Lol come on that's a heritage foundation website
this thread is going to get pretty wild for a while when the numbers coming out of langley are like, "15 million uighurs in prison" and people gotta figure out on their own if they want to be shocked at all the people in prison or elated that china apparently created over a million uighurs, overnight

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

my favorite adrian zenz factoid isnt even him being a religious nut its that hes cited this very ridiculous figure of ughyur women accounting for eighty percent of all the iuds in china thats obviously a transcription error which should actually just be eight percent but good luck getting anyone to acknowledge this outside of chinese state media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

why would invading siberia prevent the collapse of china were they running out of snow

The Russian President visited his friend, a former Red Army soldier who fought as a sniper Stalingrad and now lives in the wilderness of Siberia, where he puts his marksmanship to use hunting wildlife.

As a token of their visit, the soldier presents him with a wolf pelt that's coated with gold. The President asks him how he made that, and he says that there's a particular stream where if he soaks the pelts in it, they get imbued with gold over time. The President's interest gets piqued, and he sends a surveying team to the area that the soldier described.

The engineers and technicians find that not only does that area have a huge gold deposit (which explains why the stream would deposit gold on anything it flowed through), but that there's also a veritable ocean of crude oil lying just underneath, with more barrels than even Saudi Arabia ever had.

The Russian President contacts President Jack Ryan to tell him the news, and they work out an agreement where American oil companies will help develop drilling and mining operations in the area so that Russia can profit from the discovery.

The word of this gets out, and that's what China is after when they invade.

Much, much later in the book, when the top commander of the PLA is driving around in his tank, the old sniper manages to shoot him right between the eyes because his head was sticking out of the turret. He then takes the opportunity to say that shooting one fascist now was not all that different from shooting the fascists so many years ago.