Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Platystemon posted:

It looks like the banner of an upper-mid-market hotel.

It's still superior to half the rest of American state flags, which are all just a guy and a tree on a blue background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

The right one looks like something you'd put on a t-shirt sold by an Old Navy like store and give to someone you don't really care about that much as a gift.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is this what flags will all look like in a hundred years? Airline logos?

That's what a state flag is.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rassle posted:

The right one looks like something you'd put on a t-shirt sold by an Old Navy like store and give to someone you don't really care about that much as a gift.
A good metaphor for the State of Mississippi.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The shield one looks like the logo for an evangelical church.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

starksfergie posted:

As a huge flag dork, I was very happy to see that the Isle of Skye confirmed its own flag this week!

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/skye-unveils-official-flag-island-2951520

I like the flag and hope to get back there for a second visit one of these days!
No ring 2/10

Phlegmish posted:

It's still superior to half the rest of American state flags, which are all just a guy and a tree on a blue background
Imagine if European states used their coat of arms for flags, it'd mostly be animals making

expressions, sur une plat azure.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Guavanaut posted:

No ring 2/10

Imagine if European states used their coat of arms for flags, it'd mostly be animals making

That cat has seen something so amazing its brain is exploding in three different directions.

(Maybe it just realised it's sitting on a mutant swiss army knife that's piercing a giant eyeball.)

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

It occurred to me that I didn't know what the two dates on my home state's flag meant, and lol just lol:

First off, we adopted this flag at the same time we opted to join the Confederacy. The date on the bottom is the date we seceded from the Union. The top date is the date of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence, which I had never heard of:

quote:

The Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence is a text published in 1819 with the claim that it was the first declaration of independence made in the Thirteen Colonies during the American Revolution. It was supposedly signed on May 20, 1775, in Charlotte, North Carolina, by a committee of citizens of Mecklenburg County, who declared independence from Great Britain after hearing of the battle of Lexington. If the story is true, the Mecklenburg Declaration preceded the United States Declaration of Independence by more than a year. The authenticity of the Mecklenburg Declaration has been disputed since it was published, forty-four years after it was reputedly written. There is no verifiable evidence to confirm the original document's existence and no reference to it has been found in extant newspapers from 1775.

During the American Civil War, secessionist leaders spoke of the Mecklenburg Declaration with reverence, attempting to connect it with the state's joining the Confederacy. Confederate leader Jefferson Davis spoke to a Charlotte crowd in September 1864 saying "people of this section were the first to defy British authority and declare themselves free" encouraging them to continue backing the Confederacy's civil war effort against the U.S.

We talked about the state seal in history class and learned, like, the state seashell and poo poo, but we definitely never learned anything about the flag and now I know why!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Incidentally, the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence thing reminds me strongly of NC's ongoing dispute with Ohio over who gets to claim the Wright Brothers. Our license plates say "First in Flight," theirs say "Birthplace of Aviation," and they loving haaaate that NC is more strongly associated with the first flight than they are. They slapped an astronaut next to a biplane on their state quarter just to shore up their bona fides in this extremely pointless debate.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

American state flags also too often commit the sin of including unnecessary text, in my opinion.

Let's take a look at Palau's flag:

You can argue about the aesthetic qualities of the elements in isolation, but on the whole, and in context, I think it's a good flag. Very simple, basically containing just a circle, but also highly evocative in a way that makes sense. You immediately and automatically get the impression of a bright, sunny day, implying an idyllic island paradise, which is good since so much of their economy is based on tourism. It's very easy to draw and reproduce, even if you might not end up with a perfect circle. I give this flag a score of 8.5/10.

Now imagine they put an Austronesian pioneer in the upper left corner, a palm tree in the upper right corner, added a Union Jack overlay, and at the bottom included text reading

EST. 1994

COME VISIT SUNNY PALAU

Congratulations, you've ruined your flag, it's garbage now. And yet, there are so many flags around the world that are close to that description.

e: alright I looked it up and the intended symbolism of Palau's flag is somewhat different, but it doesn't really matter, the effect is the same.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 26, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Guavanaut posted:

No ring 2/10

Not enough dongs to be a representative example

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Phlegmish posted:

Let's take a look at Palau's flag:

Neat, it's Ukraine in polar coordinates.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

showbiz_liz posted:

Incidentally, the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence thing reminds me strongly of NC's ongoing dispute with Ohio over who gets to claim the Wright Brothers. Our license plates say "First in Flight," theirs say "Birthplace of Aviation," and they loving haaaate that NC is more strongly associated with the first flight than they are. They slapped an astronaut next to a biplane on their state quarter just to shore up their bona fides in this extremely pointless debate.

It's Connecticut, anyway

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

airline logos will instead start to look like bad local flags

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Go and look at all of the Japanese regional/city flags. Just all logos on fields.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

It occurred to me that I didn't know what the two dates on my home state's flag meant, and lol just lol:

First off, we adopted this flag at the same time we opted to join the Confederacy. The date on the bottom is the date we seceded from the Union. The top date is the date of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence, which I had never heard of:

We talked about the state seal in history class and learned, like, the state seashell and poo poo, but we definitely never learned anything about the flag and now I know why!

NC seceded in 1776? They really got started early.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

NC seceded in 1776? They really got started early.

Oop I completely bungled this, was looking at a source on an older version of the flag which did use the Confederacy date. Forgive my moronacity.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There are a ton of confederate regimental flags that have 1776 and 1861 on them. Also sometimes 1789.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

loving lol @ 1789

liberté (mais pas pour toi), egalité (pas pour toi), fraternité (pas pour toi)

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass
Could I get some criticisms on the flag I want to make for my home gym in Wisconsin?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"The Pumping Iron Curtain"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Workout Paradise

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

UncleButts posted:

Could I get some criticisms on the flag I want to make for my home gym in Wisconsin?

The raised fist, star, and red background aren't bad in themselves, but the current design is just too similar to many other flags/posters. It's uninspired and generic at this point. If people see this they're going to think it was made by another Internet leftist trying to be edgy but who doesn't have enough spoons to put real effort into it.
The 'solidarity' text also seems unnecessary, it's already implied by the other elements. Definitely get rid of it - that would additionally give you more ambiguity and plausible deniability towards the less politically tuned-in, if that's what you're after.

What I would do is keep the fist and red background, and the star if you really want to, but rework it so that it's clear that it's for a gym. You're missing an element that would make it stand out in a fitting way. Maybe the fist is holding a dumbbell, something like that.

That'll be €69, and €4.20 for expenses

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 27, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

The raised fist, star, and red background aren't bad in themselves, but the current design is just too similar to many other flags/posters. It's uninspired and generic at this point. If people see this they're going to think it was made by another Internet leftist trying to be edgy but who doesn't have enough spoons to put real effort into it.
The 'solidarity' text also seems unnecessary, it's already implied by the other elements. Definitely get rid of it - that would additionally give you more ambiguity and plausible deniability towards the less politically tuned-in, if that's what you're after.

What I would do is keep the fist and red background, and the star if you really want to, but rework it so that it's clear that it's for a gym. You're missing an element that would make it stand out in a fitting way. Maybe the fist is holding a dumbbell, something like that.

That'll be €69, and €4.20 for expenses

Did you miss that the fist is Wisconsin

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I completely missed that. Alright, he gets a discount.

That's good though, keep that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That's a flag version of the coat of arms of the city of Oran during French Algeria.

I think it's been built out of mismatched elements from other flags/coat of arms. The boat looks like the one from New Brunswick, and the lions are now purple? That tower design is quite distinctive, too.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just more flags and emblems that suffer from being far too busy, even if the individual elements and colors are acceptable.

e: the first one in particular, there's just no coherence at all.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 27, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Needs more flags in it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Needs more flags in it.

lol

You know, maybe if it turns into flagception it loops back around to artful

e: yo dawg I heard you like flags

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Guavanaut posted:

Needs more flags in it.

Ah, the former canadian flag's seal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Stoic. That's all you I've got to say about it. I see a hard nosed short man as the governor of the Provence.

A solid 6/12 on the flag scale

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 28, 2020

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

UncleButts posted:

"Clean and jerk off".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Question: Are you ready for the paradigm shift of animated flags, Coming SoonTM. Finally we won't have to choose a single design for a flag, we can have them all.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Phlegmish posted:

Just more flags and emblems that suffer from being far too busy, even if the individual elements and colors are acceptable.

e: the first one in particular, there's just no coherence at all.

That's why my favorite flag is the 48 star US flag. It's basically perfect. I'm completely serious.

Simple, coherent, symmetrical, powerful, honest.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That's why my favorite flag is the 48 star US flag. It's basically perfect. I'm completely serious.

Simple, coherent, symmetrical, powerful, honest.

The American flag is like the Beatles. Its very good but its also extremely famous so flag nerds have to show off about how bad it is so everyone thinks "hmmm this guy knows something I don't"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Biscuits posted:

"Clean and jerk off".

"Public jerking zone"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The American flag is like the Beatles. Its very good but its also extremely famous so flag nerds have to show off about how bad it is so everyone thinks "hmmm this guy knows something I don't"

Shoulda kept adding stripes for each state imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It's not awful, but I do think it suffers from a case of too many stars and perhaps also too many stripes. It's like they didn't know when to stop. Now take Liberia's flag, it's like the American flag after a decent (flag) editor's had their say, which makes it superior in my eyes.

The US flag does have the contextual advantage of not having been incorporated by dozens of different countries/administrative units (with the exception of the aforementioned Liberia and a few others), unlike the Union Jack, so there is less aesthetical inflation.