Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Reaverbot posted:

I agree fat shaming is real but talking about diets is not making fun of or shaming fat people

absolutely. and especially in a medical history show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

part of why Sawbones is good is that they kind of "let us in" and relate the topics they talk about to their actual lives. asking them to stop talking about what and how they eat on a *health and medicine* show because any and all conversation on eating and diets makes you uncomfortable is pretty unfair.

they're going to do it because they don't want to upset their fans, but the show is worse for it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Y'all do comprehend that I wasn't saying linemen are healthy right? Christ this thread is humorless for it being about a comedy podcast.

You hush your mad ramblings about men with lines. You sound like a crazy person.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
As someone wholly unfamiliar with Phish, Dave Matthew's Band, or 311, Travis's entire game this week was :geno:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I enjoyed it and I know nothing about them. My favorite bit is Justin saying he knows Phish but Griffin still always winning.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kevin DuBrow posted:

As someone wholly unfamiliar with Phish, Dave Matthew's Band, or 311, Travis's entire game this week was :geno:

Strong disagree. Those lyrics are loving out there

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It's actually a funny segment but he should do different bands, phish vs. dmb is going to get old quick

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I'm just glad there's a Travis bit without the usual "OH BOY HERE COMES THE TRAVIS BIT THIS IS GONNA SUCK" preamble

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Fall into Phish is the best bit on the show since the first few occurrences of Haunted Doll Watch.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Reaverbot posted:

I agree fat shaming is real but talking about diets is not making fun of or shaming fat people

:yeah:

Kazy posted:

I enjoyed it and I know nothing about them. My favorite bit is Justin saying he knows Phish but Griffin still always winning.

:yeah: :yeah:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I think it goes on a too long, but it's okay.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I likea talka dino

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Fred is on posted:

I'm just glad there's a Travis bit without the usual "OH BOY HERE COMES THE TRAVIS BIT THIS IS GONNA SUCK" preamble

Griffin needs to watch this video about feelings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxHotDLN9Ek

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'll take 3

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
And everyone thought the commemorative plates were a bad idea

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm close to a few people who are actively unhealthy and complain incessantly online that talking about your own personal health journey is vicariously fatshaming: Posting progress pictures of yourself is shaming others. Talking about what you eat is shaming others. Even posting pics of a hike you went on is shaming people who don't exercise. Yes obviously fatshaming is a thing that exists, but holy poo poo let someone talk about their own health without making it about yourself.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

The best part about Fall into Phish is that it's a great segment for us audience members to play along at home.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tenik posted:

The best part about Fall into Phish is that it's a great segment for us audience members to play along at home.

Especially for me, who has pretty much never knowingly heard a song from either Phish or DMB.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

sticklefifer posted:

I'm close to a few people who are actively unhealthy and complain incessantly online that talking about your own personal health journey is vicariously fatshaming: Posting progress pictures of yourself is shaming others. Talking about what you eat is shaming others. Even posting pics of a hike you went on is shaming people who don't exercise. Yes obviously fatshaming is a thing that exists, but holy poo poo let someone talk about their own health without making it about yourself.

At that point the response is telling them to delete their social media accounts since apparently literally everything on there is an attack on them

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Every time I hear an ad for Schmanners it really weirds me out to hear Travis and Teresa introduce themselves as "your husband-host and wife-host".

I feel like they're aliens pretending to be human or inviting me to a sex cult or something.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

:psyduck:

I don't even have words, this is just wild.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

At that point the response is telling them to delete their social media accounts since apparently literally everything on there is an attack on them

That's cyber bullying, though.

But outrage culture is imaginary also.

\/\/\/ The Internet Makes You Stupid.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 30, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That's cyber bullying, though.

But outrage culture is imaginary also.

this conversation is taking a stupid turn

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Heard McElroys got cancelled today

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

goblin week posted:

Heard McElroys got cancelled today

If exploiting artists means being cancelled then yep. A handful of other artists have come out to say outright this is about the McElroys and the Adventure Zone GN.
https://twitter.com/GalacticJonah/status/1300450671313981440

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Oh, no, the underpaying thing is poo poo even if it's on the publisher. But I'm already experiencing way too much people being extremely goony about being glad they never got suckered into mcelroys and how they were always secretly evil lmao

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I thought all the art in those books was done by one person? Carey something.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

$100 dollars and a 3 year exclusivity clause for an illustration in a NYT best seller cannot be described as anything but predatory.

loving private wedding announcement illustrations are more profitable and fair to the artist than that.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Yeah like that's how much I paid for a single page furry comic once, and I'm not even, like, a podcasting multimedia brand name. It's legitimately just a hosed up price

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tears In A Vial posted:

yeah did they do book collecting fanart or something? because they're obviously not soliciting a single-page illustrations for the main series that already has one person doing all the art

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Tears In A Vial posted:

The back of each of the graphic novels has a dozen or so full page illustrations from other artists.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

goblin week posted:

Oh, no, the underpaying thing is poo poo even if it's on the publisher. But I'm already experiencing way too much people being extremely goony about being glad they never got suckered into mcelroys and how they were always secretly evil lmao

the state of internet fandom culture means there's a lot of people caught in the trap of: "i don't really like or care about a thing, but it's popular, so i see it a lot, and that annoys me, and i want people to shut up about it, but because just yelling 'shut up i hate that media' comes off as petty, in order to justify that annoyance, i am going to hold out for the creators/fandom/associates to do something Bad, so i have a a moral high ground to make my annoyance self-righteous, because not liking a thing isn't good enough on its own, the things i don't like have to be made by bad people and it must be wrong to like them."

The actual thing in question this time really loving sucks though! We need more information, I'm sure as hell not going to assume the brothers are in the clear just because it could be the publisher and they might not know.

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 31, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The back of each of the graphic novels has a dozen or so full page illustrations from other artists.

ah that explains it, thanks

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Ah seen, I didn't know about the fan art bit. That sucks.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

It's weird because I have no idea about the economics/contracts of graphic novels, or podcasts in general. Maybe it's normal for one-off illustrations in graphic novels? Outside of the question of who is to blame (publisher or McElroys or both) I'm also just curious if this type of work is just never good, and the economics of the situation just don't work out, and this type of work basically shouldn't exist?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If you think this family is brutal enough to say through their severe social anxiety "here's 100 bucks, say nothing about this for 3 years" then either the McElroys are secret super villains who deserve our respect anyway for the commitment to the con, or you haven't followed em long enough.

100% on the publisher, but I can't wait for everyone to attack em on social media and they have to make some sort of concession cause their business partner sucks poo poo.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I can’t believe Travis personally broke each of that person’s fingers and then made them eat their art supplies.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

how much did they pay the guy who made their podcast artwork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Warbird posted:

I can’t believe Travis personally broke each of that person’s fingers and then made them eat their art supplies.

I heard it was Dave Matthews who did it though