Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

First you gotta work on your bass face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I feel like

"I have acquired a bass for some reason, what do I do?"

"IDK, just play the notes."

Is the origin story for at least half of all bass players.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Huxley posted:

I feel like

"I have acquired a bass for some reason, what do I do?"

"IDK, just play the notes."

Is the origin story for at least half of all bass players.

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/activism/heartbreaking-immigrant-bassist-was-lead-guitarist-in-home-country/

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm just going to put on Stop Making Sense and do what Tina does. Seems reasonable.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Amazon has a couple FF338 Hollowbodies in stock for $160, walnut/brown and matte black. Ordered the walnut/brown one, hoping the quality control is better than the maple one I tried last year.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

DrChu posted:

Amazon has a couple FF338 Hollowbodies in stock for $160, walnut/brown and matte black. Ordered the walnut/brown one, hoping the quality control is better than the maple one I tried last year.

Main things people are saying on the Facebook page about the ff338’s are positive. Most complain about some noise when plugged in on one of the pickups, but removing the pick guard seems to fix that.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

nwin posted:

Main things people are saying on the Facebook page about the ff338’s are positive. Most complain about some noise when plugged in on one of the pickups, but removing the pick guard seems to fix that.

Most of the issues the one I had were cosmetic and I was on the fence about sending it back, but someone in this thread gave the good advice that if I were to pick up the same guitar in a store and see those problems would I still buy it, and the answer for me was no.

I wouldn’t mind swapping out electronics or pickups if it comes down to that, but there’d be no fixing this every time I look at the neck:

There were also things like binding was filed away along the fret ends on about half the frets and the nut was oddly mis-sized.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

DrChu posted:

Most of the issues the one I had were cosmetic and I was on the fence about sending it back, but someone in this thread gave the good advice that if I were to pick up the same guitar in a store and see those problems would I still buy it, and the answer for me was no.

I wouldn’t mind swapping out electronics or pickups if it comes down to that, but there’d be no fixing this every time I look at the neck:

There were also things like binding was filed away along the fret ends on about half the frets and the nut was oddly mis-sized.

Are you talking about the 12th fret?

How was the return process? How much did it cost you?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

I had a spare cheapo acoustic up on facebook market to sell and a guy offered me twice the value in bass for it, so now I own a bass.

How do you play bass? (Is there a Justin equivalent or something? A good book to recommend?)

i think the biggest thing is to make sure you know how to mute the strings. its a big deal on guitar, but its a huge deal on bass

i thought this guy's lessons were pretty good, and contain some funny jokes too https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeD9_tDVA1wvqv1IF9QyP-A

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Huxley posted:

I had a spare cheapo acoustic up on facebook market to sell and a guy offered me twice the value in bass for it, so now I own a bass.

How do you play bass? (Is there a Justin equivalent or something? A good book to recommend?)

Standard bass is E, A, D, G its exactly like a low octave guitar that you play with your thumb instead of a pick

Congrats you know bass

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Also you play it with a pick

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Huxley posted:

I think StudyBass is the closest Justin equivalent - structured course with lots of video lessons, starting with the fundamentals (and also teaching you why you're playing that stuff) with playlists of songs using the technique you just learned. It's good!

bass owns, you just entered the fun zone

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Zaphod42 posted:

Standard bass is E, A, D, G its exactly like a low octave guitar that you play with your thumb instead of a pick

Congrats you know bass

That's the Leo Fender method, although Leo also admitted he didn't play bass, which is why he put the finger rest under the strings instead of a thumb rest on top. Most bass players either use a pick or use their first two fingers to pluck.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

nwin posted:

Are you talking about the 12th fret?

How was the return process? How much did it cost you?

Yeah, I just kept zeroing in on that. The return process was easy since it was through Amazon, the only difference between it and a normal return was I had to drop it off at a UPS store rather than the regular Amazon location I use. It was free and it looks like it’s still the same policy on the ones they have listed now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just copy Davie504

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Vintersorg posted:

Just copy Davie504

Slap like and subscribe?

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
Anyone have any experience with Cordoba guitars? I have my eye on the Paco F7 to replace my craigslist Yamaha C-40. If not Cordoba anyone got recommendations on a mid range classical style guitar?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Huxley posted:

Scott's Bass Lessons are the go to for online bass course. Much like Justin the introductory stuff is free to see if you enjoy it enough to subscribe to the higher end stuff.

The good news is that all your theory and most of your technique from guitar will carry over - the important things to pick up are left hand muting and good right hand plucking/picking technique to prevent muscular strain. Don't practice unplugged too much or you will eventually develop overplucking issues and have to spend time training yourself out of it again (guilty, alas). Think small movements, big sound.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Huxley posted:

I'm just going to put on Stop Making Sense and do what Tina does. Seems reasonable.

I WAS LITERALLY GOING TO RESPOND TO YOUR POST WITH THIS ADVICE lmaoooo

Honestly though that’s how good bass players happen, get to work!

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

The Sheriff Jake posted:

Anyone have any experience with Cordoba guitars? I have my eye on the Paco F7 to replace my craigslist Yamaha C-40. If not Cordoba anyone got recommendations on a mid range classical style guitar?

Look at the Takamine C132S. Solid top and back. Made in the same facility that does the high end concert guitars. I would say it is a high end student/ low end pro guitar. They retail about $1100 but you can find them on ebay for 4-600 all day.

https://www.takamine.com/C132S

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superb-Takamine-Japan-C132S-Classical-Guitar/203089776539?hash=item2f49180f9b:g:RjcAAOSwFtFfR0MM

Luna fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 27, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I have a mini Talor acoustic Bass with nylon core strings that is a joy to play.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Been working on transcribing this awesome little tune that just randomly showed up on my YT recommendaishhhhhh. Sometimes the algorithms really do deliver. Sharing in case you guys find his playing as fun as I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqJiqoNHxkQ&t=352s

Also, I took my acoustic camping with me and decided to take the Advancing Guitarist's method to heart and focus on single string playing and the guy is right on the money. I didn't get anything out of it about a year ago, but now that I've had more position playing improv experience, I'm really appreciating what it's teaching me. I'm finding I'm a lot more expressive on one string. Thinking in terms of intervals a lot more, doing more interesting melodies. And it's corrupting/changing how I think about improv. Rather than bouncing around between positions, I'm finding I'm tracking the intervals on the string, and then jumping to adjacent strings to reach higher or lower ranges and it's a completely different feel. It's really fun to just do it to a random tune that comes up. I'll find myself wayyyyyyy up at the 17th-18th fret and then bouncing back to an open string. Stuff I never comfortably did in my box patterns. I really recommend it if you haven't tried.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

Luna posted:

Look at the Takamine C132S. Solid top and back. Made in the same facility that does the high end concert guitars. I would say it is a high end student/ low end pro guitar. They retail about $1100 but you can find them on ebay for 4-600 all day.

https://www.takamine.com/C132S

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superb-Takamine-Japan-C132S-Classical-Guitar/203089776539?hash=item2f49180f9b:g:RjcAAOSwFtFfR0MM

Thanks for the recommendation and the link. That guitar is actually down the street from me and I am gonna go check it out here in a little.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

former glory posted:

Been working on transcribing this awesome little tune that just randomly showed up on my YT recommendaishhhhhh. Sometimes the algorithms really do deliver. Sharing in case you guys find his playing as fun as I do.

Idk if you saw it, but I posted a short warmup lesson vid starring Cory a few days ago ITT. If you did see it, maybe that’s why he showed up in your recs.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

former glory posted:

Also, I took my acoustic camping with me and decided to take the Advancing Guitarist's method to heart and focus on single string playing and the guy is right on the money. I didn't get anything out of it about a year ago, but now that I've had more position playing improv experience, I'm really appreciating what it's teaching me. I'm finding I'm a lot more expressive on one string. Thinking in terms of intervals a lot more, doing more interesting melodies. And it's corrupting/changing how I think about improv. Rather than bouncing around between positions, I'm finding I'm tracking the intervals on the string, and then jumping to adjacent strings to reach higher or lower ranges and it's a completely different feel. It's really fun to just do it to a random tune that comes up. I'll find myself wayyyyyyy up at the 17th-18th fret and then bouncing back to an open string. Stuff I never comfortably did in my box patterns. I really recommend it if you haven't tried.

it's a lot easier to play on one string for me. thinking 0 2 4 5 7 9 11 12, and then repeat, you know what i mean.. 14 16 17 etc etc. That way scale is linear like a piano. When you multiply 1 * 6, that's when my mind starts having to calculate more.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 28, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Galaxy brain is moving linearly between box patterns

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

you scoff but boomer bluesdads and jam band burnouts think you're a genius if you can play a box pattern in more than one position

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Muppets On PCP posted:

you scoff but boomer bluesdads and jam band burnouts think you're a genius if you can play a box pattern in more than one position

There's five boxes. That's it. You learn those and voila you know everything.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If you can get past the first 30 seconds of a tetris game then you can learn all the box patterns and unlock the highlander quickening of knowing all the notes in that key.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Idk if you saw it, but I posted a short warmup lesson vid starring Cory a few days ago ITT. If you did see it, maybe that’s why he showed up in your recs.

Yeah, that was definitely it. I took a way a few ideas from that one that might help me.

excellent bird guy posted:

it's a lot easier to play on one string for me. thinking 0 2 4 5 7 9 11 12, and then repeat, you know what i mean.. 14 16 17 etc etc. That way scale is linear like a piano. When you multiply 1 * 6, that's when my mind starts having to calculate more.

I'm finding the same. I'll anchor the location of the two half steps in my mind and I find I can keep myself on the scale pretty well so far. It's a completely different exercise and opens up a lot of new territory as learning new basic concepts usually does in music. I'm not at the point where I can reliably jump to an adjacent string yet, but the right note is always just one fret away.

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you can get past the first 30 seconds of a tetris game then you can learn all the box patterns and unlock the highlander quickening of knowing all the notes in that key.

I've got 3 of the pentatonic boxes down now so I find I sometimes do that and hop onto a box I know coming off a single string line. It's funny how when I'm playing in a box, I can't really find the note that the guitar face is begging to reach for, but on a single string, I can feel it so much better and move up that octave and just

so hard. I'll look up and an hour has passed just noodling over tracks.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Spanish Manlove posted:

well, playing several notes at once. i like bass notes with thumb and trebel with middle. its easier to dumbly just play an open note on the low e and run through whatever melodies pop into your head in one or two strings. for me. whatever. id be a lot better mastering 5 6 7 8 9 frets and learning all those scales. i am real good af 0 to the 5th fret for scales and patterns.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Also I think open notes just resonate better. If there is a choice between playing an open note play that especially if its in a bass register. Ill tune the A string up to B sometimes if I want to play in B. Its just making your style your own and do literally whatever you want to do to evolve over time.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

former glory posted:

his playing is delightful. what a great player to transcribe, good pick

hes really getting the most out of that wireless rig!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I think I figured out some improvements on how to record and EQ low tuned guitars: put the mid knob down a little bit. Yeah sure the riffs are straight out of an intro song for a lovely ATG-core band from 2005 but I'm proud of how everything sounds so far. Any other suggestions? I'm using an sm58 together with an sm57 so I'm thinking of angling the 57 as that seems to be what a lot of people do with that combo. Also dialing down the gain just a tiny bit on each guitar track

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/olaweekly14

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

^^ Holy poo poo, that sounds awesome.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

his playing is delightful. what a great player to transcribe, good pick

hes really getting the most out of that wireless rig!

I want a band like that to jam with. They've got a great thing going. No need for a vocalist when a piano + guitar is filling that room so nicely.

former glory fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 28, 2020

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
I found this exercise pretty useful for learning the pentatonic box shapes
Once a day for ~10 days at 0.75x speed was enough for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PjmubdYhP4

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

What's also interesting to me about Cory's stuff and Vulfpeck stuff is they are all obviously absolute loving beasts on their respective instruments but are equally good at being generous. You might hear how great actors or comedic performers allow someone else's performance to shine by knowing how to give the other people what they need. It seems like that and it is really cool. Dunno if I'm explaining it right.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
You spend the first ten years of your playing career learning how to play, and the rest of it learning when to shut up. Being a great player within a group means knowing how and when to support other players more than it does knowing how to shred.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
One of the most fun parts of songwriting for me is figuring out how to balance what the bass guitar is doing. Is it following the drumbeat for emphasizing a groove with just the root note? Is it supporting a chord by doing a roughly equivalent arpeggio/melody? Is it going to kinda do both at the same time?

I don't often write parts with a lead over a rhythm guitar but that has the same kind of fundamental question: how complex does each part need to be to get the feel I want? Do I want full on tech death prog complexity for each thing at the same time? Or will the rhythm guitar sit back a little bit with whole notes while the lead guitar shreds?

I was listening to this album just now and thought I'd show off these two solos to explain a little of what I'm talking about. The first one does a little more of a complex thing behind the solo, while the second just does longer notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEo-8407cPg&t=136s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJoxZY5is8&t=120s

So yeah sure not everyone plays death/thrash but the same concepts apply to less gory styles of music. You can use complexity to change the mood of your song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I picked up a used DSL1CR for super cheap, my first tube amp. I turned it on and left it for about a minute, then plugged in and messed around a bit. Initially, when I struck the strings hard, it would crackle. When I turned down the volume on the guitar or just picked softly it wouldn't happen. Eventually, after 5 minutes or so, the crackling-when-attacked feature stopped. Do you think it needs a new tube (or tubes), or should I just give it more time to warm up in the future?