Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

new beta update it looks like

The last update my phone seemed noticeably improved all around, much faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?

Flux Wildly posted:

I am persevering with a 6s, definitely on its last legs and I should really upgrade at some point when the newness is out. In the meantime, I got a bit of seawater in the headphone jack this morning and now it is stuck in headphone mode. All other functions are fine.

I've tried freeing the connectors up with toothpick / papertowel / q-tips and repeatedly inserting headphones into it, not had any luck with those techniques. Any other things to try?

This happened to my 6 once, and leaving it in airplane mode for 45-60 min somehow did the trick.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

euphronius posted:

The Face ID thing with masks is not optimal

I was about to ask about this. I noticed when the mask thing first started that my phone couldn’t unlock itself with Face ID while I was wearing a mask. Now my phone can recognize my face now while I’m wearing the same mask. Did something change in iOS or Face ID?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

keevo posted:

I was about to ask about this. I noticed when the mask thing first started that my phone couldn’t unlock itself with Face ID while I was wearing a mask. Now my phone can recognize my face now while I’m wearing the same mask. Did something change in iOS or Face ID?

No. I'm skeptical of this... that shouldn't be happening.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Yeah this shouldn't happen.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it is supposed to be looking for eyes, nose, and mouth, not an arbitrary shape where your face should be.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

withak posted:

Yeah, it is supposed to be looking for eyes, nose, and mouth, not an arbitrary shape where your face should be.

Yeah this isn't an android phone.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Inner Light posted:

Oh fun. What should I do? Wipe the phone and re-install everything?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd just redo the FaceID setup.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I mean I'm skeptical of Face ID improperly authenticating on any one rando phone, that would be an issue to say the least. Are you really sure that's what's happening?

I'm guessing the fail condition for a broken sensor is to not allow you in, which is why that's confusing.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Hmm just re-did the Face ID and it seems to be working properly again. That’s so weird though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I had that happen on 14 public beta 4. It stopped doing that on 5. Haven't checked on 6 yet.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

In layman’s terms, how much better is the camera in the big phones compared to the new SE? I have the old SE now and want to upgrade everything, to include the camera quality. Do you think I will be happy with the new SE camera?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

devilmonk posted:

In layman’s terms, how much better is the camera in the big phones compared to the new SE? I have the old SE now and want to upgrade everything, to include the camera quality. Do you think I will be happy with the new SE camera?

The big ones give 2 more lens (.5 and x2) and they’re also much better in low light. The new SE will still be a huge update for you and it has some very welcome features such as portrait mode.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Is my iphone 8 plus poo poo yet or should i skip the 12?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

cowofwar posted:

Is my iphone 8 plus poo poo yet or should i skip the 12?

The 8s handle fine on iOS 14 betas so I think you should be good for another year unless something else appeals to you about the new ones.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Loco posted:

This happened to my 6 once, and leaving it in airplane mode for 45-60 min somehow did the trick.

This worked - thanks!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but does anyone have a thermometer that they like that sync's up to HealthKit?

I'm having some health issues and my doctor wants me to track my temperature multiple times a day for the next few weeks. The thermometer on Apple's site is 100 bucks (wtf) and also, according to reviews, requires you to make an account with the people that make the thermometer and sync the thermometer to that account in order to get your information into HealthKit.

Now, it's possible those reviews are wrong. It wouldn't be the first time i've seen wildly inaccurate information in Amazon reviews. But I'd really like one that just sync's with HealthKit fullstop, without any intermediaries.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 28, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but does anyone have a thermometer that they like that sync's up to HealthKit?

I'm having some health issues and my doctor wants me to track my temperature multiple times a day for the next few weeks. The thermometer on Apple's site is 100 bucks (wtf) and also, according to reviews, requires you to make an account with the people that make the thermometer and sync the thermometer to that account in order to get your information into HealthKit.

Now, it's possible those reviews are wrong. It wouldn't be the first time i've seen wildly inaccurate information in Amazon reviews. But I'd really like one that just sync's with HealthKit fullstop, without any intermediaries.
I have that thing (used leftover FSA money because lol spending $100 on a thermometer otherwise) and that all seems correct. I don't have any other recommendations.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
this company seems to sync with healthkit, but they tried to get me to log in just to even look at support pages so you're probably still going to have annoying accounts
https://www.kinsahealth.co/products/#buynow

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there a single reason as to why asking your phone to do the update overnight is such a crap shoot? It works now and again, but 90% of the time it'll ask my permission to update at 4am or something, I'll give it, wake up in the morning and its still on the old version.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

If you are willing to do it manually, buy a cheap regular thermometer and then you can use the Shortcuts app to make a little widget that you'll just enter your temp into. I do this to enter my bike rides.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there a single reason as to why asking your phone to do the update overnight is such a crap shoot? It works now and again, but 90% of the time it'll ask my permission to update at 4am or something, I'll give it, wake up in the morning and its still on the old version.

That’s odd. It’s always worked flawlessly for me... do you have a strong WiFi connection where the phone is at night / Plug the phone in? I know there’s a few things it checks for before it’ll try to update.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah this is me too, I’ve pretty much given up on it at this point

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wifi should be decent enough where it is and I put it in the charging cradle with enough time that it should get to a decent percentage. Doesn't report back saying it couldn't update either, just... doesn't. Weird little bug that I've had for ages regardless of iOS version and curious if others had it too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Re: overnight updates, same here lately. It was fine for me forever up until I dunno, semi recently, I guess the updates this year. 2020 :shrug:

phosdex posted:

If you are willing to do it manually, buy a cheap regular thermometer and then you can use the Shortcuts app to make a little widget that you'll just enter your temp into. I do this to enter my bike rides.
I used to do the same with my weight up until recently (when I got a fancy smart scale*). You can enter HealthKit metrics in Shortcuts (or at least I did for weight) and set automation triggers to prompt to run the Shortcut (might need to make separate ones for multiple times/day maybe though). You can also script out fancier stuff like also prompt for notes and save a log there if you want to log that if it might help your doc/diagnosis.

*...which probably all/mostly have the same situation where there’s some app for the scale that interfaces with HealthKit.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Laserface posted:

I like the leather case but they sure add some heft to my XS.

...heft? They barely weigh anything.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think the automatic update over night is literally that. It’ll update if it’s downloaded, but it won’t download; you have to do that manually.

In the iOS 14 beta, there’s now options to automatically A) download it and B ) install it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Stupid question but can you get Apple to replace a battery in an iPhone that isn't saying the battery is a problem? I gave my mum my old 8 a while ago, but now she's got a new SE and was thinking of giving the 8 to my brother who's still got my old SE which is pretty poo poo now.

The 8 has about 84% on the battery health, can I get apple to change it?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Stupid question but can you get Apple to replace a battery in an iPhone that isn't saying the battery is a problem? I gave my mum my old 8 a while ago, but now she's got a new SE and was thinking of giving the 8 to my brother who's still got my old SE which is pretty poo poo now.

yeah just tell them the battery life is significantly shorter than it used to be

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

track day bro! posted:

Yes, but also they’ll charge for it. $80 was the last cost I heard on battery replacements.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Like change it for free? I'm guessing it's out of warranty. It's 49.95 plus $6.95 shipping for the 8 battery. Newer phones cost more. At 84% battery they won't suggest replacement but if you request a battery service they will setup the paid repair for you. They won't tell you no and you don't have to use secret phrases

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Doesn’t the phone itself suggest battery replacement when it drops under 90%?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think it’s generally 80%

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Doesn’t the phone itself suggest battery replacement when it drops under 90%?

It could suggest replacement at any percentage if it's detecting a poo poo battery but yes at below 80% is the threshold for replacement

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Like change it for free? I'm guessing it's out of warranty. It's 49.95 plus $6.95 shipping for the 8 battery. Newer phones cost more. At 84% battery they won't suggest replacement but if you request a battery service they will setup the paid repair for you. They won't tell you no and you don't have to use secret phrases

No I don't mind paying for it, just so I can give my brother a phone with a new battery instead of one that will probably need a new battery in a few months time. I just wasn't sure if apple would do it unless the phone is saying it needs it. The phone is way out of warranty anyway as I bought it at launch, then replaced it with an XS which is when I gave it to my mum.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 29, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm quite possibly missing something really obvious, but is there a way to view iCloud photos fullscreen from a browser? I can zoom and turn off bits of the interface, but I don't see a fullscreen/black background view (beyond F11)

e:maybe it's just not a feature, probably not important

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 31, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If it's okay to ask, how's the dedicated iCloud app on windows? My experience with Apple software on PC has felt bloatware-ish, which is why I've been sticking to the webpage version so far.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rinkles posted:

If it's okay to ask, how's the dedicated iCloud app on windows? My experience with Apple software on PC has felt bloatware-ish, which is why I've been sticking to the webpage version so far.

it's about the same level of quality you've likely come to expect from itunes for windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's fine, I use the iCloud Drive portion to sync stuff around and it does what it's supposed to do. The Photos works too but I don't need a bunch of lovely cat pictures on my desktop so I have it checked off.