Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

I wish the the Knuckles grips were more button-like, sometimes I have to squeeze way too hard or I'm squeezing in the wrong direction and my hands start to hurt after a while. And not all games that use the grips have the haptic feedback enabled, which makes it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There is a possible leak for the Quest revision:

$299 - 64 gb version
$399 - 256 gb version
release date: 10/13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Op1Jp7qw10

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Room VR A Dark Matter is now in Viveport

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah but those per-eye displays take up a much larger fov than a 13” display a couple feet away. It’s a question of angular pixel density, not absolute resolution. Just wildly guessing at what would be required to get that density at a full field of view, it’d be like what, 8k per eye or something similarly ridiculous.

e: Current retina displays are like 70 pixels per degree (or closer to 80, even, but we'll use the low end). Index is, what, 130 degrees max fov? Maybe I'm brain-farting the math, but I believe that'd 70*130=9100 pixels across. Shrunk down to something much smaller than a 13" display. Godspeed.

Sometimes I wonder if the point where VR has basically no visible pixels and is also affordable will be the point it truly hits the mainstream. Blurriness, even a small amount always felt like a hard sell in a world that is used to crystal clear screens.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

veni veni veni posted:

Sometimes I wonder if the point where VR has basically no visible pixels and is also affordable will be the point it truly hits the mainstream. Blurriness, even a small amount always felt like a hard sell in a world that is used to crystal clear screens.

There's basically one of two things that need to happen before this can happen:

- A incredibly drastic change in graphics rendering that no longer scales with pixel count
OR
- Variable rate shading that allows us to only shade the area that the user is actually looking in, potentially also taking into account the increased pixel density at the edges of VR displays due to lens distortion.

Nvidia is heavily investing in the latter with their research at the moment, while also researching new techniques like real time ray tracing that scale linearly with pixel count and sample count (which is basically worst case). So much of the GPU's compute power is wasted on parts of the screen that the user isn't actually resolving at anything close to the resolution being output.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Turin Turambar posted:

The Room VR A Dark Matter is now in Viveport

Wow Viveport actually has some good stuff now, it was pretty dire when I checked a few months back.

It also has Paper Beast, I had no idea that game had come out either.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

yergacheffe posted:

Wow Viveport actually has some good stuff now, it was pretty dire when I checked a few months back.

Viveports had good games in it for a while. Even if viveport itself has kinda sucked as software. and if you got in on the infinity cheap sale thing welp, theres tons of good poo poo to play.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New Oculus features-leak, courtesy from Reddit:

quote:

Drawing couch location: https://imgur.com/a/IwrNuU3

Adding to guardian: https://imgur.com/a/WmDvY1G

Edit:

This string looks like Oculus might sell an official battery pack: https://imgur.com/a/Sp57pBG "Extended Battery Installed", "You now have longer battery life"

This string looks like we will be able to cast to a browesr via a link: https://imgur.com/a/li1zxTX "Cast to your personal link oculus.com/casting and view on a supported web browser, such as Google Chrome" "Go to oculus.com/casting on your computer within 60 seconds. Be sure to use a supported browser like Google Chrome."

Tracked keyboard tracking confirmed: https://imgur.com/a/liG1C1E "Keyboard tracking is only supported for flat surface movements and works best in a well lit room with the keyboard placed on a flat contrasting surface. To see your hands while typing, turn on Hand Tracking and Auto Enable Hands in Settings > Device > Hands and Controllers."

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

yergacheffe posted:

I think I made a list of the popular ones. Let me search it...

Creed
A Fisherman’s Tale
Museum of Other Realities
Angry Birds VR
OnShape
Synth Riders
To the Top
I Expect you to Die
Arizona Sunshine
TheBlu
BoxVR
Obduction
Pixel Ripped
Paper Beats
Fujii
Down the Rabbit Hole
Ironlights
Crisis vrigade 2
To the Top
2MD VR Football
Five Nights at Freedies
Vox Machinae
The Room VR
SuperHot VR

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 29, 2020

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Do any new games other than Blade and Sorcery use the Vive trackers? Or are they still mostly just powering natural locomotion?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New beta version of VD

• Added a VR Graphics Quality option in the Settings panel in VR
• Desktop and VR bitrates are now separate and can be changed more precisely with a slider
• Added stage tracking option (this forces the tracking to be centered to your play space)
• Small tweaks to the Wi-Fi banner in the Computers tab
• Fixed issue with hands floating away in some games
• Fixed game compatibility with: Gunheart, The Wizards - Enhanced Edition, Magic Realm: Online, Sansar, Vox Machinae (Oculus store), Onward (Steam)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Is there a listing of games that have implemented the Index Knuckles? It sucks buying a game that says it supports the Index only to get in game and have to gently caress around with the controller mappings.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ShadowHawk posted:

Do any new games other than Blade and Sorcery use the Vive trackers? Or are they still mostly just powering natural locomotion?

Your non-mixed-reality-streaming options are pretty much Blade and Sorcery or VRChat.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I broke virtual desktop somehow. Launching steamvr is giving me a black screen. I can see the void and menu on my pc's screen and the quest/controllers are detected. The 2d desktop display works fine and native quest games work. Sidequest detects the headset and oculus link loads correctly. But launching steamvr is just not working. I've Uninstalled and reinstalled everything, verified developer mode is enabled, and disabled the windows night light, which is apparently an issue sometimes. Is there anything else I should check before I start rolling back drivers and windows versions?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gadgeteer is out of EA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvphpD_09Kg

Features
Added ‘Online Mode’ functionality, allowing players to play machines (+ puzzles) made by other users and share their own machines online
Added Puzzle Designer, which allows users to design their own puzzles for other players to solve. Find it in Maker Mode!
Added 40 new household gadgets, including the rubber duck, soap bar and bowling ball
The Home Room now includes dioramas for all modes, each with their own interactable machine
15 new pre-made machines have been added to ‘Online Mode’. You can find them by filtering to Puzzle and looking for Metanaut_VR in the top right corner
A new secret button has been added to the Home Room
Added the ability to delete gadgets by placing them back in the library panel
The library panel now opens to the last tab you were viewing, after being closed

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Great Beer posted:

I broke virtual desktop somehow. Launching steamvr is giving me a black screen. I can see the void and menu on my pc's screen and the quest/controllers are detected. The 2d desktop display works fine and native quest games work. Sidequest detects the headset and oculus link loads correctly. But launching steamvr is just not working. I've Uninstalled and reinstalled everything, verified developer mode is enabled, and disabled the windows night light, which is apparently an issue sometimes. Is there anything else I should check before I start rolling back drivers and windows versions?

Since you mentioned virtual desktop, I assume you're doing this wireless. Have you tried using a physical cable and see if that works? It's not the solution, I know, but it might help determine what/where the issue could be. Also, when I was using my Quest for PCVR, I had to accept the two prompts it gives you in a certain order (accepting the connection to my PC before the Beta Link prompt), otherwise I'd get a black screen. I'm sure you've already knew this, though.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Got Onward for Oculus Quest.

It's pretty cool, but my first few games were a bunch of kids screaming racial slurs and teamkilling.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I just got an email stating that "Oculus Medium" is turning into "Medium By Adobe".

I'm starting to think Facebook just hired some new consultant who is like "Oculus isn't a recognizable brand. No one cares about the word 'Oculus', we must stuff it full of industry buzzwords'

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Airspace posted:

I just got an email stating that "Oculus Medium" is turning into "Medium By Adobe".

I'm starting to think Facebook just hired some new consultant who is like "Oculus isn't a recognizable brand. No one cares about the word 'Oculus', we must stuff it full of industry buzzwords'

Facebook sold off the Medium team to Adobe. Not sure what buzzwords you're talking about.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

People still happily watch mobile data limited 360p youtube reuploads of vines that have gone through like three layers of re-encoding and you can count the individual pixels in them. It absolutely is not a matter of screen resolution :v:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Got Onward for Oculus Quest.

It's pretty cool, but my first few games were a bunch of kids screaming racial slurs and teamkilling.

In contrast to this, Echo Arena just got a huge social update, along with their full launch on the Quest:

https://medium.com/echo-games-blog/echo-vr-quest-launch-c67f506066cc

They have a ton of cool stuff in here that I hope becomes more standard for VR:

quote:

Previously referred to as “moderated groups”, Echo VR Social Lobbies are a unique way for players to connect with other like-minded individuals in-game. When viewing the Main Menu on boot, players can choose which Social Lobby they’d like to opt in to. Joining a Social Lobby only affects who you socialize with and matchmaking is unchanged. For example, this means if you choose to socialize with someone in Casual Mature Gamers you can still be matched up with players from the Echo Combat group.
Social Lobbies are moderated by Community Moderators who have each established their own list of community rules as well as to the Echo VR Code of Conduct.

This doesn't apply to in matches, but you spend a good chunk of time in the lobbies, so this is great. Some examples of lobbies they have are Playground (read: children), Competitive Gamers, Casual Mature Gamers.

quote:

Customize your experience on first boot

Players will now be prompted to customize their social experience the first time they boot the game to ensure comfortability during their early moments in zero-g.

This is stuff like setting a default safety bubble where people disappear if they get too close, and whether voice chat is on by default or if it's push to talk, etc. A proactive step so you can feel more confident that if you join the lobby you can't get harassed right off the bat, which I think is really cool.

quote:

Change Voice Pitch

This social tool gives Echo Units the ability to deepen the pitch of their voice in the Echo VR Settings Menu.

They even add a voice pitch tool so you can deepen your voice if you don't want people to harass you for how you sound, which is pretty fantastic.

There's a ton of pitfalls that come with social VR and I think this is a ton of cool stuff they're trying out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

ishikabibble posted:

People still happily watch mobile data limited 360p youtube reuploads of vines that have gone through like three layers of re-encoding and you can count the individual pixels in them. It absolutely is not a matter of screen resolution :v:

Yeah but I *have* a VR headset and it's still a big deal to bother setting it all up to play with it. I'm still anxiously waiting for the next Alyx, nothing else has been so immersive.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ShadowHawk posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/951450/Fit_It/

Been meaning to boot this up. Actual japanese hole in the wall with full tracker support.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They just showed a new trailer for Respawn's VR Medal of Honor as well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

They just showed a new trailer for Respawn's VR Medal of Honor as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6VFHMl0UpI

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

That knife tho

Interview said there'd be full multiplayer too.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Kazy posted:

Facebook sold off the Medium team to Adobe. Not sure what buzzwords you're talking about.

Ah, didn't know that. That makes more sense.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Oculus only :smith:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Revive exists so the Oculus only doesn't mean much.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ishikabibble posted:

Facebook only :smith:

Fixed ;)

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

EA making it's latest Medal of Honor game exclusive to Facebook. Okay.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It was something to do inbetween adding star wars to sims 4

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ErrEff posted:

You mean the game they showed last year at OC6 and we already knew was exclusive?

Parallelwoody posted:

Revive exists so the Oculus only doesn't mean much.

Pretty much. I can't think of anything atm that isn't accessible that way.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ErrEff posted:

It's a game funded by Facebook so... yes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of FB...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDWLB9iR6K4

UploadVR article says it's very Rec Room-ish.
https://uploadvr.com/facebook-horizon-preview/

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

EbolaIvory posted:

Pretty much. I can't think of anything atm that isn't accessible that way.

Does Stormland perform well with Revive yet?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Thoom posted:

I recently asked this and got no answer so I think it's safe to assume it's still hot garbage

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thoom posted:

It doesn't even perform well with Virtual Desktop and a Quest. That particular game has something that makes it not work properly, in anything but native.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Thoom posted:

I tried it a little under a week ago and no. I'm just one person so my experience might not be typical but while the world itself rendered fine anything to do with the player character and interact-able objects was jerky and bad.