Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"Songs in the Key of Springfield" is p. much essential to own and "Who Needs the Quik-E-Mart" and "Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want to Get Off" are both better than any fuckin' Family Guy garbage

How can you not immediately bring up the Stonecutters drinking song

I think Family Guy if anything actually follows the more recent odd cartoon trend of mediocre to bad songs acting as obvious time-filler. Though it has its moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Das Boo posted:

Aren't 90% of Family Guy songs rehashes from old musicals? Like a LOT of Bing Crosby stuff. I ran into that Shapoopie song in its original form not too long ago.

With the exception of the Christmas one, I honestly can't think of any original Family Guy songs (maybe the "wonderful day for pie" song in the Disney parody?). Mr. Booze, Road to Rhode Island, the FCC song, the weed song, Shipoopi, the Petarded song, the song with Frank Sinatra Jr. about the new restaurant -- all of them are either straight-up covers or barely original rehashes. It's a shame.

edit:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Such a classic song. One of the many, many examples of how the Simpsons made references that you don't have to understand to enjoy (I didn't know who Steve Gutenberg was until well into adulthood).

quote:

I think Family Guy if anything actually follows the more recent odd cartoon trend of mediocre to bad songs acting as obvious time-filler. Though it has its moments.

Cleveland Show did this SO MUCH, and what's worse -- they basically ripped off the Stonecutters song in the hip hop illuminati episode where it turns out that a select, hilariously dated group of rappers invented everything in the world that's cool.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 26, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

YeahTubaMike posted:

Such a classic song. One of the many, many examples of how the Simpsons made references that you don't have to understand to enjoy (I didn't know who Steve Gutenberg was until well into adulthood).

Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? FOR FUN??

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
All I know is I still find myself humming the last bit of Baby on Board every so often.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

YeahTubaMike posted:

barely original rehashes.

I've got some bad news about we put the spring in springfield and the monorail song.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 26, 2020

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Randallteal posted:

All I know is I still find myself humming the last bit of Baby on Board every so often.

Something something, Burt Ward?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

You Are A Elf posted:

Something something, Burt Ward?

It practically writes itself!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

PinheadSlim posted:

I've got some bad news about we put the spring in springfield and the monorail song.

Well, you learn something new every day, I guess. :shrug:

edit: also, I want to add that I don't mind the Family Guy rehashes either, except for Shipoopi, which is annoying.

edit2: when I said it was a shame, I didn't mean that they were bad, just that I was negatively surprised by the fact that they weren't as original as I'd thought.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 26, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Should probably be a hint that the Simpsons theme is an instrumental while Seth McFarlane shows all have an intro sung by the cast. Guy likes showtunes and isn't ashamed to show it.

Musical bits are a tricky thing in cartoons. It's hard to name a show that doesn't have one, and hard to blame them, since the whole medium basically got started as music videos.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sorry are we saying that We Put the Spring in Springfield and the monorail song are pastiches?

All I can find about the former is that it's in a story context that is a riff on The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, and that it won an Emmy.

Monorail is clearly a Music Man bit but the song itself seems original?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
reminder that while "Do the Bartman" was not in fact written by Michael Jackson, MJ did sing backing vocals, and apparently insisted on this line being included:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

hard to see the nuggets when everything in front of you is gold my man

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Should probably be a hint that the Simpsons theme is an instrumental

Underrated theme imo. Never up there whenever someone does a dumb list of top theme songs, but it's a banger.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is The Simpsons still bad?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

PostNouveau posted:

Underrated theme imo. Never up there whenever someone does a dumb list of top theme songs, but it's a banger.

I remember Danny elfman talking about how he purposely made every note the wrong note and I think that’s super cool.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Das Boo posted:

Aren't 90% of Family Guy songs rehashes from old musicals? Like a LOT of Bing Crosby stuff. I ran into that Shapoopie song in its original form not too long ago.

MacFarlane is a big musical fan, he has often said so.

Musicals suck.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is the 4-person arcade stand-up still good, though?

:ohdear:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Plant MONSTER. posted:

underrated post and great article but

okay she hasn't appeared on the show but matt groening apparently made this for her

That’s Katherine ryan you can’t fool me!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Schadenboner posted:

my brother has one, but the loving crt isn't working, and he can't find anybody to fix it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Empty Sandwich posted:

my brother has one, but the loving crt isn't working, and he can't find anybody to fix it

That's some "broke my glasses in the library"-level Twilight Zone poo poo right there.

:(

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Musicals suck.

Every time some idiot goon says this they're inadvertently saying Little Shop of Horrors sucks and thats just hosed UP.

ITS hosed UP

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I liked Grease as a kid. I even liked Grease 2

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I used to really hate musicals too, and while I'm still not especially interested in stage shows, I eventually came to realise that there are a lot of great film musicals out there. Not only are they great watches in themselves, but they demonstrate how great The Simpsons used to be at parodies/pastiches. Even the numbers that don't actually come from musicals (His name is Monty but to you it's Mr Burrrrrrns!).

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

It's fun to dick around with, but it is one of the all-time unfair quarter-munchers and really suffers as a result.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Debunk This! posted:

Every time some idiot goon says this they're inadvertently saying Little Shop of Horrors sucks and thats just hosed UP.

ITS hosed UP

Also just objectively wrong?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Plan Z posted:

It's fun to dick around with, but it is one of the all-time unfair quarter-munchers and really suffers as a result.

I only ever really watched other people play cabinets "back in the day" (as the kids say these days).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Plan Z posted:

Just set it so it's free play lol

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Schadenboner posted:

I only ever really watched other people play cabinets "back in the day" (as the kids say these days).

Did you get to see good Simpsons as they happened? No judgment; I just feel as though everybody else here is Old (I am Old)

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Empty Sandwich posted:

The monitor would be the cheapest part of that cabinet to replace. The Simpsons jamma board sells for ridiculous $$$ ever since the movie came out.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Debunk This! posted:

ITS hosed UP

Little Shop of Horrors and West Side Story are the only musicals I've ever enjoyed, and I only saw the movie versions.

The only musical I've seen in musical form is Rent, which was dreadful. Hamilton, which I saw on Disney+, wasn't as awful, but it certainly wasn't enjoyable either.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
cannibal: the musical was good

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Who is a bad enough dude to hate on the movie version of Fiddler on the Roof

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Junk posted:

cannibal: the musical was good

The SP guys might be even better at showtune parodies than anyone. I can recall most of the Planet of the Apes musical but other than that I find myself humming the SP movie songs way more often and in full too

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Little Shop of Horrors and West Side Story are the only musicals I've ever enjoyed, and I only saw the movie versions.

The only musical I've seen in musical form is Rent, which was dreadful. Hamilton, which I saw on Disney+, wasn't as awful, but it certainly wasn't enjoyable either.

Movie Little Shop of Horrors is the best version IMO, despite the absence of Mushnik and Son. Everything else is just so goddamn on point.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

YeahTubaMike posted:

Cannibal The Musical is hilarious, especially the second time with the commentary track

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Data Graham posted:

I might

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

if I were a rich man

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Data Graham posted:

I rented this, and I will watch it. Anyway, can I have $40,000?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I rented this, and I will watch it. Anyway, can I have $40,000?

Stingwing fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 28, 2020