Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What's the weight on that rod & reel? My dad gave me a nice reel a few years ago, but I never got an adequate rod to go with it. I would like a compact set up to start loving around with when I'm out. I don't expect to catch much but if I can smoke a joint while fly fishing for brookies with nobody around, why the gently caress not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's a # 3/4. that's exactly what i do with it, throw it on my pack for a hike and toss a line in if i see a nice spot (where legal of course)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm trying to get a sleep system set up. I have the hammock but was missing the sleeping bag/quilt and the under sleeping system whether that's another quilt or a pad. All of the cottage quilt makers seem to have a 9-week lead time on orders even though those seem to be the best rated from what I've been able to find.

So I've just taken to watching their discounted pages for the orders that people cancel or minor imperfections. Hammock gear posted something this evening and I ended up picking it -17c top quilt that had no flaws. Got about $15 or $20 off too. I believe it was just from a canceled order so it should have no issues with it. Should be delivered in about a week assuming the USPS doesn't gobble it up. So way better than ordering a custom-made one as long as you can find one that you want.

Still need the sleeping base however. Doesn't look like the offerings they had for the imperfection underquilts were well suited for what I was looking for so I'll have to keep looking or just pick up a sleeping pad.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 26, 2020

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Check out Arrowhead Equipment for cheap good Apex synthetic underquilts. I have two and have been pleased with both.

The only big manufacturer I can think of making underquilts if you need one fast is Eno.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

REI Labor Day Sale ad is out
https://catalogs.rei.com/Labor-Day-Sale-and-Clearance/1/

20% off One REI Outlet item (use coupon code LABORDAY20) (curiously only on outlet items, not on regular stock)
Up to 70% off Clearance Clothing for Women & Men
Up to 50% off Clearance Sandals
Up to 50% off Clearance Swimwear
40% off REI Co-Op Brand Rain Jackets & Rain Pants
30% off All REI Co-op Brand 650 Down Jackets & Vests
30% off All REI Co-Op Brand Furniture
25% off All Arc'teryx items
25% off All Osprey Ozone Luggage & Travel PacksArc'teryx items

Backpacks

25% off Osprey (Kyte & Kestrel)
25% off Gregory (Deva & Baltoro)
25% off All Arc Teryx

Tents & Footprints

25% off Big Agnes Dog House, Tiger Wall
25% off REI Co-op Kingdom 6 & 8, Trail Hut 2
30% off REI Co-op Quarter Dome SL

Sleeping Bags

40% off All REI Co-op Joule & Igneo
25% off Big Agnes Torchlight
25% off Nemo Forte

Shoes

25% off All Salomon Footwear
25% off All Keen Targhee Hiking Footwear
20% off All Merrell Moab Footwear
25% off selected Altra Road Running Shoes

Kitchen

25% off GSI Outdoors Selkirk 2-Burner Camp Stoves
25% off All MSR Windburner Stove Systems
25% off All Klean Kanteen Items
25% off All Water Filters & Purifiers

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 26, 2020

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Petzl lights are also on sale. Probably going say farewell to my 15 year old 70 lumen headlamp.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Check out Arrowhead Equipment for cheap good Apex synthetic underquilts. I have two and have been pleased with both.

The only big manufacturer I can think of making underquilts if you need one fast is Eno.

Thanks, I'll keep them in mind. Does anyone have any experience with three quarter length under quilts? Arrowhead seems to have a very reasonable price on those.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Mine from Arrowhead are 3/4 length, which I find great for spring/summer/fall use. If the temps will be a bit colder I'll pair it with a cheap foot pad from Zlite. Otherwise in winter go full length.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Any good consensus on satellite communication devices?
We used to be pretty bad about going completely off grid until we had our first emergency and since then have been renting iridium sat phones. Gotten kind of sick of renting as the delivery fees are too high.

Just based on price we're gravitating towards the Spotx but I was wondering if anyone had experience with the spot/inreach/others that might shed some light or offer a recommendation. We camp in northern Ontario mostly so the coverage of the iridium network offered by Garmin isn't a factor.
We do want flexible plans so avoiding traps like repeatedly paying activation fees or whatever is important

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Math You posted:

Any good consensus on satellite communication devices?
We used to be pretty bad about going completely off grid until we had our first emergency and since then have been renting iridium sat phones. Gotten kind of sick of renting as the delivery fees are too high.

Just based on price we're gravitating towards the Spotx but I was wondering if anyone had experience with the spot/inreach/others that might shed some light or offer a recommendation. We camp in northern Ontario mostly so the coverage of the iridium network offered by Garmin isn't a factor.
We do want flexible plans so avoiding traps like repeatedly paying activation fees or whatever is important

I have 3 inreach devices on the company flex plan or whatever, it's basically one 35 dollar activation fee, then I pay 20 dollars per device per month for 10 messages, and it's .50 a message for every message over that. I found out quickly that's far cheaper than paying for the unlimited plan which is like 65 a month. When I'm not using it, I pay a $5 a month storage fee or whatever they call it. It works for us because we use them for 6ish months at a time. They have a couple rules about activation/deactivation but they're not hard, and all I do is sync up the device and it immediately starts working once I activate them. Their site isn't great but it isn't horrible, and I've had 2 emergency situations they were used for, one was for evac for somebody else my guys came upon and the other we were able to solve without so, useful enough.

thatguy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 27, 2020

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Another vote for inReach. I have the older inReach SE and it works like a champ 6 years on. Never had to use it in an emergency, but having it is reassuring, especially when out solo, and gives more functionality than a PLB- not every situation that I'd like to contact somebody is 911- I used mine one time to text my wife if there were any forest fires nearby when I was socked in by smoke unexpectedly.

highme
May 25, 2001

Thanks for bringing this up. My last camping trip led to sleepless nights for my wife because I failed to check in when leaving coverage. I spend enough time tempting fate in the parts of Oregon Verizon ignores, that an emergency radio would be nice.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

thatguy posted:

I have 3 inreach devices on the company flex plan or whatever, it's basically one 35 dollar activation fee, then I pay 20 dollars per device per month for 10 messages, and it's .50 a message for every message over that. I found out quickly that's far cheaper than paying for the unlimited plan which is like 65 a month. When I'm not using it, I pay a $5 a month storage fee or whatever they call it. It works for us because we use them for 6ish months at a time. They have a couple rules about activation/deactivation but they're not hard, and all I do is sync up the device and it immediately starts working once I activate them. Their site isn't great but it isn't horrible, and I've had 2 emergency situations they were used for, one was for evac for somebody else my guys came upon and the other we were able to solve without so, useful enough.

I have an inReach, works for peace of mind but make sure (of course) that you have clear skies to gain access.

I have a "freedom plan" where you pay $25 annually and you can, per-month, activate or deactivate your subscription (I use a $15/mo subscription).

So, to break down the numbers, you are either paying about $2/mo for a suspended plan (but you can quickly convert to an active plan with no additional cost) or $17/mo for an active subscription (since you add an additional $2 to do the freedom plan).

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Thoughts on Salomon X Ultra 3 versus Merrell Moab 2? My current hiking shoes are generally fine but like half a size too small so I definitely feel some rubbing after a couple days. Was thinking of using the REI sale to pick up a new pair. If I do, I'm leaning toward Salomon.

Also, is it worth getting the GTX version of either? Mine are just ventilated. I know the general consensus is, waterproof boots are ok unless they get water in them and then take forever to dry, but I wasn't sure if that also applied to the "waterproof membrane" these two shoes talk about.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I hate buying shoes without trying them on. I wear Moabs and they fit my large feet well. I have a pair of Salomon boots that fit my toes well but slip on my heel. But that's just my feet.

Moabs are bulky shoes. The Ultras look less bulky?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The confidence I get out of my moabs with the vibram soles is unreal, bulky shoe or not there's not much else I'd prefer to do hikes in. Unless I wanted to go heavier and get something with ankle support, that's about it. If the Salomon rubber is comparable at all I'm sure it's a fine shoe, but I've worn moabs for close to a decade now and am pretty loyal to them.

(it helps that the moabs never really change their design, I'm an old man now and being able to get the same shoe every two years is great)

As for waterproofing I got no suggestions, there's good justifications for either approach. So you gotta take that journey on your own.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Wrt to inreach chat, be super vigilant about checking battery levels. My mini would do fine off and charged every other month, then one day it started draining when off in the course of a week. Under a year old and would have been a real problem if I had to use it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah I love my Moabs for all the rocky trails here, and I haven't really worn my nice boots since getting them. The only times I would prefer something else is overly wet conditions and high summer when I would prefer more airflow / less insulation.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I hate buying shoes without trying them on.

I ended up using Amazon's prime wardrobe to order a bunch of hiking boots and try them on before buying, worked pretty well for me.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah I love my Moabs for all the rocky trails here, and I haven't really worn my nice boots since getting them. The only times I would prefer something else is overly wet conditions and high summer when I would prefer more airflow / less insulation.

I have ~10 year old moab ventillators that have served my narrow + flat feet really well. They are laced up almost touching but still tight, I probably should have gotten some kind of under-insole pad to fill up a little space years ago but now I think I'm finally getting ready to get some new boots for dry weather hikes. Curious though if anyone can recommend some other boots that are great for narrow+flat feet. With the REI sale I may just go try on the new moabs and see how they are but it would be good to find something to compare them to.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I have a pair of both Moab Vents and the Salomons in GTX and they’re very different boots. My Moabs were basically daily wear for a couple years and did me well on tons of day hikes and overnights in the Mojave and in Colorado, but when winter rolls around I bust out the Salomons because they’re slightly higher in the ankle, and they’re waterproof. They’re also a bit stiffer in the ankle than the moabs. I also use the Salomons when I’m carrying a bit more weight just for the mental effect of feeling like I’m getting more support. They’re not proper backpacking/trekking boots with a lot of support.

They also fit very differently, even though they’re both wides, the Moab is still noticeably wider in the foot, which makes it a bit more comfortable and airy which can be nice depending on sock choice. The insole for the Moabs sucks and had to be replaced, but the factory Salomon one is functional, though it’ll probably be replaced before the end of my first year with them.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

I ended up using Amazon's prime wardrobe to order a bunch of hiking boots and try them on before buying, worked pretty well for me.

Last time I did this I got three or four pairs of boots and had to return them all at the UPS store during the Christmas rush, and I kind of just hated the experience all around. It does work though.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I think I might just go with the low ventilated Moabs. We don't do much winter hiking, and I've never felt the need for higher boots, so it seems like they'd do what I want with some nicer insoles.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The REI sale's got me thinking about getting an Osprey Exos 58, but it looks like their sale price is the same as everyone else's right now. Anyone use one of these?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

PokeJoe posted:

More ali-gear:

This headlamp is nice, you can focus the main light and the red leds are great for digging around your shared tent in the dark. It's rechargable and it weighs about 75 grams w included strap.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000162962529.html

How long does the battery last and about how bright would you say it is?

My current headlamp doesn't do red, takes 3 AAA's and the button fell off. So I'm looking for a replacement.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's pretty bright, the ability to focus it also lets you get a wide spread for up close or a narrow bright beam for stuff far away. it lasts a while, it hasn't died on me yet while camping or hiking but I do charge it most times between uses. id say 6-8 hours? probably more if you use less bright settings.

its my 3rd Ali headlamp. First took AAAs like yours and it annoyed me so I got a rechargable. That one was great and only like 6 bucks but I wanted a red light so I got this one and it's been good upgrade so far. None of them have crapped out on me and I used the last one for years.

also it's only $15

E : here's the box with battery life and illumination estimates

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 28, 2020

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

PokeJoe posted:

it's pretty bright, the ability to focus it also lets you get a wide spread for up close or a narrow bright beam for stuff far away. it lasts a while, it hasn't died on me yet while camping or hiking but I do charge it most times between uses. id say 6-8 hours? probably more if you use less bright settings.

its my 3rd Ali headlamp. First took AAAs like yours and it annoyed me so I got a rechargable. That one was great and only like 6 bucks but I wanted a red light so I got this one and it's been good upgrade so far. None of them have crapped out on me and I used the last one for years.

also it's only $15

E : here's the box with battery life and illumination estimates

You sold me. Just bought one. Thanks for the recommendation

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The REI sale's got me thinking about getting an Osprey Exos 58, but it looks like their sale price is the same as everyone else's right now. Anyone use one of these?

That’s just because everyone else price matches REI when they do their annual sales.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I need a better lantern and wouldn't mind spending a bit of money. Any recommendations?

My current one is probably the most annoying thing in my kit and uses D cells of all things. It's like a brick. I want something that packs up small, weighs little, maybe doesn't use batteries at all, and doesn't sacrifice light too much.

Maybe something like this would be fine idk: https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/157561/ultimate-survival-technologies-spright-recharge-lantern

I just bought a Black Diamond Apollo Lantern from Moosejaw for car camping and occasionally backpacking. Decent USB rechargeable, and can quadruple its runtime with a few AA batteries (basically lasts forever on low), stands/hangs well, and doubles as a battery pack!

I’m a big black diamond fan because their lights have good output and light throw, are intuitive, are well built.

Those Luci inflatable blow up lanterns are fantastic for backpacking too. They hardly weigh anything and get the job done. Someone in my group always has one for the evening and they’re perfect to put up against a tree by the circle.

Also just bought a Black Diamond Revolt 350 rechargeable headlamp since I’m sick of buying batteries or carrying a spare set because I have half used up batteries in my headlamp before going on a trip. Have only tried it in my backyard so far, but it’s got excellent beam throw, and feels pretty similar to my older storm. Only disappointed there’s no green light, but the red feels pretty good.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah I picked out a Luci one yesterday. I'm excited about the space/weight I'm gonna save with this thing.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Car Camping question... I’ve been working on organizing stuff, and I wanted to break out my 12” cast iron skillet, folding grate, cast iron griddle top, and other schmoo-collecting stuff into a small tub by itself. Is there such a thing as a vented cast iron case or carrier or something? Can anyone recommend a hefty, shallow clear plastic bin they like for bringing heavy cast iron stuff?

Also, the gf is not a fan of the queen double height inflatable mattress/foam cover/sheets combo. Bounces too much when one of us flips over or climbs into bed after hanging out by the fire super late.

Figured this might be a good opportunity to reduce packed crap volume as well. What do y’all use for camping with your partner?

We’ve got a Coleman 6 person insta-cabin tent, so there might even be space to put up two twin air mattress with a gap in the middle for us to get in/out, I just kind if philosophically don’t like the idea.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're not totally against trying another air matress, look at what Luno Life is making. It's intended to be installed in the car, but it has two halves that inflate on their own and according to reviews it basically deletes the trampoline effect when someone rolls over. There might be something out there similar for tents but I don't know of it.

highme
May 25, 2001

REI has an insulated queen size sleeping pad on sale I was looking at. I have a nice insulated Exped mat I picked up at a garage sale a couple of years ago and it’s perfect for when it’s just me. A larger one for when either my wife or usual camping sidekick are there would be nice.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So whats really the difference between cold weather and hot weather shirts? You compare the two and its all the same material (usually like 100% polyester) Is it simply cold weather is form fitting while hot weather is a bit looser? Thickness?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I got a Silva Ranger 2.0 compass and I really like this thing.

It's got scales for 1 to 24k, 25k, and 50k built in as well as rulers for both millimeters and inches and a slope finder. I personally try to print out metric maps whenever possible and usually use 1 to 25k scales to make the math a hell of a lot easier, but since any map I purchase here in the US is going to be in miles and probably 1 to 24k it's nice to have that as well. I believe Canada tends to use 1 to 50k so it's really nice to have that there as well in case I ever go up there.

They even use the lanyard to add an extra four rulers for a different scales. Those lets you measure out distances up to 12in on the map. They also include a card that you can put in your wallet for measuring the slope on a map, all for like half the price of a Suunto compass.

The only thing that's kind of a bummer is that the degrees don't glow in the dark. Just the magnetic bar and then a couple of points around the red arrow on the rotating dial as well as a point facing the top of the compass. So it would not be ideal trying to determine an entirely new bearing without any light whatsoever. But if you've already figured out what bearing you need to do, you could just rotate the dial to the correct bearing since the red arrow has glow in dark bars around it and then use that to point at the direction you should be going.

I would highly recommend this compass for anyone who's looking into them.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

So whats really the difference between cold weather and hot weather shirts? You compare the two and its all the same material (usually like 100% polyester) Is it simply cold weather is form fitting while hot weather is a bit looser? Thickness?

One you buy for summer and it's 50spf rated and the other one you buy for winter and it doesn't come with an spf rating (it's 50)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I personally just got a fishing hoodie for warm weather SPF protection. It's super duper light, made out of synthetics so it dries extremely quickly, and it's pretty loose to let a lot of air into circulate underneath.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It's mostly all the same, you just wear more of it. I don't really have much winter specific gear, I just add layers. More wool I guess.

Winter clothing tends to be a little heavier. Socks are longer, thicker. Personally I don't do very tight clothing in winter because it doesn't trap any air between you and it to warm up.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I also don't like 100% polyester much during the hot parts of summer, cotton stays wet for longer and keeps you cooler than anything else but come august I at least start carrying a poly or wool undershirt in case weather goes wonky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

Also just bought a Black Diamond Revolt 350 rechargeable headlamp since I’m sick of buying batteries or carrying a spare set because I have half used up batteries in my headlamp before going on a trip. Have only tried it in my backyard so far, but it’s got excellent beam throw, and feels pretty similar to my older storm. Only disappointed there’s no green light, but the red feels pretty good.

I have a different model ReVolt and I hope you have a standalone battery charger. If they drain too much (in my case, it was left near empty and then stored for off-season) the headlamp won’t actually charge the batteries anymore until you throw them in a wall charger. I couldn’t be bothered and just switched to using normal batteries in the drat thing, what a waste.