Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

eviltastic posted:

Misremembered "do they" questions as "could they" when typing, which was dumb and changes the context. I've pulled it to edit. If you meant something else, I'd appreciate a PM.

To clarify, I'm just being a dick. We're just anonymous attorneys (and wannabe attorneys, e.g. DV) who occasionally chat off-handedly about legal issues, I don't anticipate that a bonafide attorney-client relationship would arise from these posts. But a disclaimer never hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Vox Nihili posted:

To clarify, I'm just being a dick. We're just anonymous attorneys (and wannabe attorneys, e.g. DV) who occasionally chat off-handedly about legal issues, I don't anticipate that a bonafide attorney-client relationship would arise from these posts. But a disclaimer never hurts.

If any of you get in trouble relying on my suggestion to retain experienced counsel when confused, I will notify my carrier immediately.

(I figured, but you're right that it never hurts to be cautious. Get sloppy in one place and the habit can carry over to another.)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Vox Nihili posted:

(and wannabe attorneys, e.g. DV)

Are you kidding? In my current position I have most of the money, all of the authority, little of the responsibility and zero BAC.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

loving failure

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Nah I'm with DV, go public service, wield power indiscriminately.

Also more booze for the rest of us, so I appreciate that.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Started my first week at Georgetown. All is well so far.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

If you consider instantly owing $30,000 "going well", sure

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Are you in person or remote?

Also, every day is an opportunity to not become a lawyer.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Pretty sure you can get a full tuition refund if you ask within 6 weeks. RIP your apartment lease, textbooks, and moving costs.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I recently met a dude who told me he was a 3L at Cooley and it took everything I had to not grab him by the shoulders and tell him, quit now quit now quit now quit now quit now quit now quit now quit now quit now

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Look Sir Droids posted:

Pretty sure you can get a full tuition refund if you ask within 6 weeks. RIP your apartment lease, textbooks, and moving costs.

One of my only fond memories of law school was some guy with his own practice giving this advice to my 1L seminar and several students visibly tearing up. "I only do this because if I wasn't I'd still be sweeping up in a dress factory."

Mind you this fellow was invited to speak after the professor caused several students to tearfully talk about what a terrible time they were having when she asked "how are things going?" during the previous class and wanted to lift people's spirits.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

nm posted:

Are you in person or remote?

Also, every day is an opportunity to not become a lawyer.
It's all remote for now.

As for the "don't become a lawyer", it's still ten years too late for that.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Love when a Decree quotes—typos and all—a completely baseless statement of fact out of the opposing party’s brief.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Are you kidding? In my current position I have most of the money, all of the authority, little of the responsibility and zero BAC.

I'm not saying that being a wannabe attorney is rational.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

It's all remote for now.

Are you doing an LLM?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

It's all remote for now.

I can't keep track of people going to law school until you start acting like toona. And how do you sleep with a study partner remotely?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

nm posted:

I can't keep track of people going to law school until you start acting like toona. And how do you sleep with a study partner remotely?

Technology is amazing these days.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

You can probably mortgage your house remotely.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1299126948908670976?s=19

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Amending all form prayers for relief to include “Plaintiff can go gently caress himself—seriously.”

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

unfortunately it got stricken from the record and they have to refile by next friday: https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.azd.1246424/gov.uscourts.azd.1246424.16.0.pdf

case: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/17465442/arizona-board-of-regents-v-doe/?filed_after=&filed_before=&entry_gte=&entry_lte=&order_by=desc

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Amending all form prayers for relief to include “Plaintiff can go gently caress himself—seriously.”

We've all thought it.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction
As much as I've enjoyed Twitter over the years, it really is a cesspool of lies and is probably actively destroying US democracy.

I can't count how many times this week I've seen tweets from people claiming to be lawyers talking about the "Fleeing Felon Rule" as if it was the actual law. Who the gently caress are these people?

What motivates a person to pretend to be a lawyer for the sole purpose of committing malpractice? What kind of reward could they possibly hope to receive from that?

edit: I should clarify, the "rule" these people are pushing is that cops can shoot anyone resisting arrest, regardless of reasonable danger - you know, the one that was found unconstitutional 35 years ago.

TheWordOfTheDayIs fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 28, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They’re owning the libs and that’s all that matters.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
And more insidiously, moving the Overton window.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

And more insidiously, moving the Overton window.

Yeah, it's actually this. Fascist don't care about the truth at all, that's a defining feature. So long as it pushes public discourse to ever more extreme right wing views, even through noise pressure alone, no utterance is beyond them. Bonus is frightening people and using up bandwith for leftists who are obliged to use words and effort in refutation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The really tragic part about all of this is none of it matters. We're already past the point of no return when it comes to runaway warming and climate change. In my lifetime, billions are going to die because of man's hubris over the past ~200 years. Greenland's ice sheet is melting faster than replacement at an accelerating rate. When that's done melting there will be approx 20 feet (6 meters for the rest of the world) in sea level rise. The global ecosystem is falling apart because we're in the midst of a mass extinction event. We're all the dinosaurs watching the meteor come flying through the atmosphere except it's in stunning high def an super slow motion. There isn't anything that can be done to reverse course at this point. We're going to be completely without arctic ice in the summer over the next few years. The heat waves over the next few decades are going to have death tolls we've never imagined. There is going to be devastation around the world of unfathomable proportions.

Why, yes, I am severely clinically depressed. Why do you ask?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

As much as I've enjoyed Twitter over the years, it really is a cesspool of lies and is probably actively destroying US democracy.

This, but Facebook. I think more people discount what they see on Twitter because it's not presented to them by their close, likeminded friends in between posts of baby pictures. Also Facebook is more Boomer-friendly, and this is all Boomers' fault.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Are you doing an LLM?
Nope, a J.D.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Mr. Nice! posted:

The really tragic part about all of this is none of it matters. We're already past the point of no return when it comes to runaway warming and climate change. In my lifetime, billions are going to die because of man's hubris over the past ~200 years. Greenland's ice sheet is melting faster than replacement at an accelerating rate. When that's done melting there will be approx 20 feet (6 meters for the rest of the world) in sea level rise. The global ecosystem is falling apart because we're in the midst of a mass extinction event. We're all the dinosaurs watching the meteor come flying through the atmosphere except it's in stunning high def an super slow motion. There isn't anything that can be done to reverse course at this point. We're going to be completely without arctic ice in the summer over the next few years. The heat waves over the next few decades are going to have death tolls we've never imagined. There is going to be devastation around the world of unfathomable proportions.

All this sounds strangely comforting...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
without getting too political, what do you think that child soldier's chances are of getting convicted on the felony charges? (i assume the misdemeanor for carrying weapon while underage is open and shut) there's a million factors going on including the extremely confusing parking lot video that captures a portion of the beginning

i'm pretty pro gun so i'm surprised that there's so many people so confident about the chances of conviction and am wondering what i'm missing due to my blinders

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
dunno it all depends. what can the government prove, what is he prepared to say (if he does testify) and how convincingly can he say it

defence of self/property cases are tricky, especially for first degree. I won't be watching the videos so maybe it is that clear, but I'd be pretty skeptical of someone claiming it's open and shut first degree in the context of civil unrest like that, even though the little chud apparently traveled there with an illegal firearm

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

All this sounds strangely comforting...

I mean the real question is, when mankind is nearly wiped out and the cockroaches take over, who will provide their legal representation? Because I’ll be damned if it’s Wachtell again.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain
I was unwillingly dragged into the M&A group about six months ago. It's not that fun. I do like the furious unpredictable rage responses it provokes though. It's almost like being 20 and having that young angry dude testosterone back.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Flutieflakes017 posted:

I was unwillingly dragged into the M&A group about six months ago. It's not that fun. I do like the furious unpredictable rage responses it provokes though. It's almost like being 20 and having that young angry dude testosterone back.

It's particularly sweet when you reach your mid-40s, and that repeated cortisol/adrenaline surge cycle starts to show the longer term physical effects that science has shown stress produces.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

SlyFrog posted:

It's particularly sweet when you reach your mid-40s, and that repeated cortisol/adrenaline surge cycle starts to show the longer term physical effects that science has shown stress produces.

Wait I'm having that now, how do you make it stop?

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

Nice piece of fish posted:

Wait I'm having that now, how do you make it stop?

Have you ever read John Grisham's "the Litigators?" I think you have to have a psychotic episode, bottom out and become an ambulance chaser. Sly Frog please correct me if I am wrong.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

without getting too political, what do you think that child soldier's chances are of getting convicted on the felony charges? (i assume the misdemeanor for carrying weapon while underage is open and shut) there's a million factors going on including the extremely confusing parking lot video that captures a portion of the beginning

i'm pretty pro gun so i'm surprised that there's so many people so confident about the chances of conviction and am wondering what i'm missing due to my blinders

It's definitely not a guaranteed conviction. I didn't watch the murdery parts of the video. From the description of events, it does not sound like there should be a viable claim of self-defense (no idea how WI laws is on that though). Motive may play a big part if the kid's social media really is littered with white supremacist poo poo.

My question is, where are this loving kid's parents? They're staring a civil suit in the face, and I'm sure the MAGAs will finance their defense.

Sidenote: What about being pro-gun makes it acceptable, for an underage person no less, to wade in to an interstate protest to defend property? This was not responsible use of a firearm.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Have you ever read John Grisham's "the Litigators?" I think you have to have a psychotic episode, bottom out and become an ambulance chaser. Sly Frog please correct me if I am wrong.

Two out of three ain't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Sidenote: What about being pro-gun makes it acceptable, for an underage person no less, to wade in to an interstate protest to defend property? This was not responsible use of a firearm.

same thing that makes it acceptable, apparently, to point your gun at people on your front lawn with your loving finger on the trigger and then speak at the RNC about your experience