Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

breaks posted:

They do though, just hit retire & claim before you start a trial and you can take your free capsule without drafting or playing.
Nice, I might well do that next week then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Expeditions feel like garbage. Maybe this is because I spent all afternoon getting 0/0 runs, but somehow they feel worse than Hearthstone Arenas.

Also, Big Dragon Man mirror match is basically “who can play the bullshit Load Hand With Celestials with leveled Sol first?” Lost a game because he had the card with leveled Sol, and had he not drawn it I would have likely won since I had it and my Sol would have leveled.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I basically stopped playing expeditions the second they gutted the rewards.

It was exciting enough when you could potentially win free champion cards, but without an incentive it's just not very appealing, even for free.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

lulu shen demacia build is pretty explosive O___O

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Playing nothing but the fastest aggro decks I know of specifically so the big dragon lad players can't have any fun.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Playing nothing but the fastest aggro decks I know of specifically so the big dragon lad players can't have any fun.

:smaug:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ok I just realized why I wasn't that interested in this expansion - the only existing regions getting new cards are Ionia, Freljord, and SI, my least favorite regions.

Of the new cards the most OP looks like Pale Cascade which is just kind of too strong.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

No Wave posted:

Ok I just realized why I wasn't that interested in this expansion - the only existing regions getting new cards are Ionia, Freljord, and SI, my least favorite regions.

Of the new cards the most OP looks like Pale Cascade which is just kind of too strong.

They mentioned they will be phasing in more cards over time until everyone has a equal number.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Right, in October and December.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
OK the aggro has started coming out of the woodwork now, at least on the Plat+ ladder. SI-Targon Nightfall aggro seems to be the most consistent so far, with so many built-in cantrips. That 5/3 Overwhelm is nuts.

Thankfully Targon also brought a shitton of healing with it. Running 3x Guiding Touches, 3x Hushes, and 3x Resplendent Stellacorn feel so good now.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The 4 and 5 mana dragons with fury have been solid as hell I can’t wait until dragon demacia is a thing.

The 2 drop daybreak is also nuts because it just stops your opponents turn 2 dead in its tracks

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
the leona braum daybreak/invoke deck seems really strong. your cards have a ton of value on them, and you can outlast opponents then grind them out with card advantage

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I’m enjoying this diana & big dumb dragon list

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
The power creep in the new cards is super obnoxious, the game really isn't fun right now :smith:

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Pilchenstein posted:

The power creep in the new cards is super obnoxious, the game really isn't fun right now :smith:
given how easy it is to get cards, i don't mind that much

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I've been playing my ol' Vi/Ez deck, splashed just a few Targon cards, it's very nice.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Finicums Wake posted:

given how easy it is to get cards, i don't mind that much
I do not enjoy the style of game balance where it's always a complete stomp for one side or the other with overpowered bullshit, no matter how close to 50% the ratio of wins to losses manages to be.

Feels exactly like playing hearthstone since the patch dropped, in that I've had exactly one game where it felt like it could have gone either way in the end and the rest of the time I've just been grinding away, chasing that kind of fun that I know it's possible to have :v:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I feel differently about the new cards. In general I look at the Targon cards and have no idea what to do with them. Even something streamers think is crazy strong like Mentor of the Stones makes no sense to me outside of abusing Ezrael triggers. All of the invokes look incredibly expensive and you seem generally stuck on some weird midrange outvalue plan that can't remove anything and can't deal direct damage.

There's some nasty ramp top-end I guess like the mindsplitter but I guess that's not that interesting to me.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 27, 2020

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Does anyone know a good cheap deck? I'm getting my rear end blown out. So many burst heals and barriers and poo poo.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

No Wave posted:

I feel differently about the new cards. In general I look at the Targon cards and have no idea what to do with them. Even something streamers think is crazy strong like Mentor of the Stones makes no sense to me outside of abusing Ezrael triggers. All of the invokes look incredibly expensive and you seem generally stuck on some weird midrange outvalue plan that can't remove anything and can't deal direct damage.

There's some nasty ramp top-end I guess like the mindsplitter but I guess that's not that interesting to me.

Mentor of the stones is a permanent +2/+2 that supports well, support, can survive with tricks to give more +2/+2, and when it inevitably dies gives you three gems. All for 3 Mana.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

No Wave posted:

Mentor of the Stones owns because you will literally always get value from it. If it dies as soon as you dropped it your opponent wasted removal and you get 3 gems that synergies with a ton of strategies. If they ignore it you get to keep piling on permanent +2/2 buffs. If they silence it they used one of the most versatile tools in their deck.

Swim made a deck that makes taric/lee sin deck that actually makes lee sin good. With gems you can flip him super quick and if you give him overwhelm with zenith blade he effectively gets to attack twice.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Nothing quite like a 9 Mana spellshield elusive that can easily have upwards of 12 attack get ripped off a empty handed opponent's topdecked Behold the Infinite when you're at 12 health, have a full hand, full board, and two harsh winds.

No wonder they held Evoke back until right before the patch dropped.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Spellshield elusive is probably a mistake to have exist at any cost.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

No Wave posted:

Spellshield elusive is probably a mistake to have exist at any cost.

it comes down so late though. like an early game elusive spellshield that needs to eat 2 removals feels qualitatively different from a late game win-that-turn card

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So, I’m watching Swimstrim and he’s playing an Ezreal/Diana deck that looks real loving degenerate. Turns out, when Ezreal levels up, gems proc his ability. I think there was one match where he dealt 30 damage to the enemy over two rounds once the levelled up Ezreal hit the board.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Finicums Wake posted:

it comes down so late though. like an early game elusive spellshield that needs to eat 2 removals feels qualitatively different from a late game win-that-turn card

A small spellshield/elusive dude could feel fine. It's the "didja keep up two answer spells for this OTK that can't even be put into decks?" that feels real bad.

The low end and high end of Evoke all feel nutters and like they belong in Lab only.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

jimmydalad posted:

So, I’m watching Swimstrim and he’s playing an Ezreal/Diana deck that looks real loving degenerate. Turns out, when Ezreal levels up, gems proc his ability. I think there was one match where he dealt 30 damage to the enemy over two rounds once the levelled up Ezreal hit the board.

They've already pointed out Ezreal is on the short list for his leveling being changed, so we'll see.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

He's now removed the diana, this list is so nutty.

Gems are basically a mroe efficient (as in how you get them) mushroom like in the old deck, and hush works really well

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I'm not sure the amount of enjoyment I get out of a game has ever dropped so much or so quickly as this.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I know many of you don't like expedition. It's the only game I mode I play though and I found it quite well balanced before this patch. There were multiple viable deck types and I generally had close interesting games.

This patch has ruined expedition. It feels like a parody version of the game. Celestial cards give you so much value it's absurd. Every game both players have full boards of 6 units + full hands now. If you don't draft a celestial deck you've lost. Since there are several cards that let you get a body + a free celestial card you can comfortably stall out the game and then start dropping the absurd late game celestials. Didn't bother drafting removal? Don't worry about it. You will almost always end up with a few obliterates.

Games feel like they take forever now and they are just huge slog fests between giant celestials and obliterates. This is completely awful.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The new healing spells are busto.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

Turns out, when Ezreal levels up, gems proc his ability. I think there was one match where he dealt 30 damage to the enemy over two rounds once the levelled up Ezreal hit the board.

I mean why wouldn't they?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

PJOmega posted:

They've already pointed out Ezreal is on the short list for his leveling being changed, so we'll see.

Ezreal has been on ~THE WATCHLIST~ for months so I'm not holding my breath. He's always going to promote degenerate joyless gameplay unless they rework him or nerf him into uselessness.

ShaneB posted:

The new healing spells are busto.

Agreed, Targon shouldn't get the best late game AND the entire Leona package AND burst heal nexus for 5 + gain a powerful card AND burst heal 2 + draw a card. I'm guessing the healing will get tuned down.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

I know many of you don't like expedition. It's the only game I mode I play though and I found it quite well balanced before this patch. There were multiple viable deck types and I generally had close interesting games.

This patch has ruined expedition. It feels like a parody version of the game. Celestial cards give you so much value it's absurd. Every game both players have full boards of 6 units + full hands now. If you don't draft a celestial deck you've lost. Since there are several cards that let you get a body + a free celestial card you can comfortably stall out the game and then start dropping the absurd late game celestials. Didn't bother drafting removal? Don't worry about it. You will almost always end up with a few obliterates.

Games feel like they take forever now and they are just huge slog fests between giant celestials and obliterates. This is completely awful.

Extremely same. I'm on the join them instead of beat them bandwagon and the cool variety of types of opponents in the queue is all gone. When I do encounter a non-invoke deck it's basically a stomp. This is just bafflingly bad. At least there's almost no demacia elites decks anymore, those were so strong and boring to play/against.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

On the other hand holy poo poo does playing Aurelion Sol feel good. I can see how they're probably gonna have to tone some stuff down but the expansion has been out for all of two days, calm down and let it play out a bit before you go calling it broken as hell. Invoke is cool and new and so people want to play with it, it's certainly the most new/interesting mechanic for the new cards at the very least.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lord_Magmar posted:

On the other hand holy poo poo does playing Aurelion Sol feel good.

Killing a leveled up Aurelion Sol with a buffed up squirrel feels good too.

Edit: I noticed that all the Celestial spells are Slow, so if you just attack at the beginning of the turn the opponent doesn't get a chance to use them. I feel like that's an interesting design decision.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 28, 2020

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I honestly don’t think those big invoke dudes will be that good once decks get refined. The most useful invoke card are the priestess imo because the have a good chance of getting you hard removal or golden sister.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Targon seems too strong and not in a fun way. Some of the main problem cards seem like the 1 mana 3/3, the 2 mana 3/6, and Leona. They are just way too good at stopping aggression and if you stop aggression you auto win the game with invoke.

So you can't beat it with aggro and it has unbeatable top end and can stall the mid game forever while not running out of cards. And it even has hush if you're trying to do a cheese strategy. Maybe I'll be wrong idk but I don't even know what can be done nobody can compete with the early or the late game.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
That's my experience so far as well. It's fun (but a lot of long games) if I'm playing the new cards, and not very fun if I'm playing against them, because there's just an insane amount of value packed into the new stuff; it feels bad not using it. The Warning Shot + Jagged Butcher combo feels completely underwhelming when Targon can drop a 3/3 and 3/6 on turns 1 and 2, respectively, with 2 cards instead of 3. Same deal with Invoke, where you can put in-hand a cheap 4/1 overwhelm on turn 1 then smack your opponent for 5 on turn 2.

That 4-cost card that gives permanent elusive seems bonkers too. I've lost multiple games to it, because you basically put big body down to ask "do you have removal?" and if the answer is no, you give it elusive and win the game for 4 mana. Without the elusive you can at least chump block the big body and stall for more options. Seems like it really should only last 1 turn, or be more selective about the targets, or something.

Like I said, it's been fun playing the new stuff, and I've had some really crazy slugfests with the new cards. It is a shame though, my favorite deck, Deep, feels pretty pointless now that way scarier units that synergize and get stronger when they kill things exist. It'll be interesting to see the new stuff they add to round things out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Clarste posted:

Killing a leveled up Aurelion Sol with a buffed up squirrel feels good too.

Edit: I noticed that all the Celestial spells are Slow, so if you just attack at the beginning of the turn the opponent doesn't get a chance to use them. I feel like that's an interesting design decision.

Casually silencing the big fat dragons to machine gun ezreal down an aurelian sol list is very funn