Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

barkbell posted:

nice looking bread

ty i am v happy with how my skills are progressing. i may be approaching 'sourdough journeyman'.

ill post more pics of future breads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TFW you put your starter to sleep for a week because you realize you’ve got maybe half a pound of flour left and can’t get to Costco until next weekend.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the hurricane a few weeks ago blew a fuse in my oven, so here we are

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

poverty goat posted:

the hurricane a few weeks ago blew a fuse in my oven, so here we are

Looks lovely.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The grill actually did a really good job. In my oven it usually gets a little dark on the bottom, and needs an extra 10 mins tacked on at the end with the oven turned off to get the center up to temp (due in part I think to the fact that I'm always baking cold dough straight out of the fridge). The grill got the color perfect all around, and the center was done right on time. It turns out the grill's thermometer is accurate and maintaining temp was easy. Might do it again.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

poverty goat posted:

The grill actually did a really good job. In my oven it usually gets a little dark on the bottom, and needs an extra 10 mins tacked on at the end with the oven turned off to get the center up to temp (due in part I think to the fact that I'm always baking cold dough straight out of the fridge). The grill got the color perfect all around, and the center was done right on time. It turns out the grill's thermometer is accurate and maintaining temp was easy. Might do it again.

I wonder how smoking bread would turn out... :science:

Not long and slow obviously, but add wood chips to your grill method.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PolishPandaBear posted:

Probably a lot like a wood fired pizza.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PolishPandaBear posted:

That authentic 17th century french peasant loaf.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
saw a recipe i want to try, called for:

500g bread flour
300g water
12g salt
100g levian (1:2:2 100% hydration)

what does the 1:2:2 refer to? i have a sourdough in my fridge and its about ready for its weekly feeding

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

BraveUlysses posted:

500g bread flour
300g water
12g salt

what does the 1:2:2 refer to? i have a sourdough in my fridge and its about ready for its weekly feeding

That's 1 part starter and 2 parts flour and water. So for example, 10g starter + 20g flour + 20g water. Ends up with 100% hydration because the weights are equal.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

BraveUlysses posted:

500g bread flour
300g water
12g salt

This is very similar to my recipe

When you become confident in your technique and eyeballing hydration you can add in 200 - 200 mashed/blended root vegetables and it bulks up the bread very well

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The King Arthur sourdough discard pancakes are incredibly good. I’m getting to the point where I’m feeding my starter just to build a batch of discard for crackers/pancakes/etc.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Democratic Pirate posted:

The King Arthur sourdough discard pancakes are incredibly good. I’m getting to the point where I’m feeding my starter just to build a batch of discard for crackers/pancakes/etc.

I've been making good use of their pizza dough recipe. Still have way too much discard for my taste though... maybe Saturday will have to be a pancakes day.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Those pancakes freeze pretty well too! I've got a nice stock of discard pancakes ready to go in the deep freeze.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

they are truly amazing

got another question, unrelated to my prior question

for this foccacia recipe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAkotB7wyUg

Ingredients you'll need:
825 g Bread Flour
150 g Whole Wheat Flour
830 g Water (100°F)
7 g Instant Yeast (or Fresh Yeast)
**150 g Mature Sourdough Starter for Sourdough Version**
20 g Fine Sea Salt
30 g Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Za'atar
Flaky Salt

so if i make this with my sourdough starter, do i still add yeast and the same amount of water and flour? he doesnt really clarify in the video

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

I've been making good use of their pizza dough recipe. Still have way too much discard for my taste though... maybe Saturday will have to be a pancakes day.

The standard pancakes are great, and adding chocolate chips really makes it a party.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Could use some advice on my starter. Started it 5 days ago with dark rye flour. After 48h and one feeding it had really puffed up nicely

On the third day I started 2x/daily feedings with King Arthur all purpose, and since then it seems to have lost its ability to double. Here’s what it looks like this morning, 12h after another feeding last night

It doesn’t smell off, but if I leave it for any longer than 12h the large bubbles go away and I’m left entirely with the small ones. It’s also very liquidy - probably the consistency of a pancake batter after I stir it down. Any advice? Should I be feeding it with whole wheat or rye? My apartment stays a pretty consistent 76-78 degrees so idk if temp is a concern.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Ya I think I messed up my starter too

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just keep feeding it it'll be OK

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Thumposaurus posted:

Just keep feeding it it'll be OK

Pretty much this. It's pretty common to get a false rise in the early going with a starter. Those aren't the yeast you want anyway.

Keep going with the rye. Use filtered or bottled water if you have it. You should be good before you hit the 10-day mark. But maybe not! Starters can be finnicky. If it looks too thin, just use a little more flour.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Chad Sexington posted:

Pretty much this. It's pretty common to get a false rise in the early going with a starter. Those aren't the yeast you want anyway.

Keep going with the rye. Use filtered or bottled water if you have it. You should be good before you hit the 10-day mark. But maybe not! Starters can be finnicky. If it looks too thin, just use a little more flour.

Also if yours is thin the rise isn't going to be impressive because the yeast farts will just bubble out like it's a soda.

I've got a nice, healthy starter that I've been using for about five or six months. It does its thing just fine, makes plenty of tasty bread. If I gently caress the hydration up during its feedings and make it too runny it doesn't hurt it any but it won't ever look like it gets the normal rise. It'll rise, but it settles down really fast too. If I keep it lower hydration it will rise like a dough, with visible bubbles staying around basically forever.

I've never noticed a difference between how effective it is after high or low hydration feedings. The only real difference that I can see is that you might need more or less water in the recipe to account for the hydration of the starter.

edit: if you're having trouble getting a starter going throw some raisins in it. You'll have to pick them out later, but it's a huge help if your local yeasts just aren't being helpful.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: if you're having trouble getting a starter going throw some raisins in it. You'll have to pick them out later, but it's a huge help if your local yeasts just aren't being helpful.

yeast eugenics!

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Changing the flour while you’re still trying to get a starter going is likely to set you back. Different available sugars and yeasts and all that. Just stick with the rye until you get consistent rising, then change over to AP if that’s what you’re aiming to maintain with.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I started my starter in a week using sultanas in warm water as the starter for my starter

I feel if I built it up from rye and milled flours I would be more protective, but that I can make a very similar starter, very quickly from sultanas has me not really getting sentimental about it

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I gotta vouch for the pineapple juice method as well.

My starter died when I brought it to my in-laws to be because they heat with a wood stove during the day and let everything basically freeze overnight. When I got back home, instead of using water for one feeding, I used some juice that collected from some freshly cut pineapple and that brought it back to life.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

PolishPandaBear posted:

I gotta vouch for the pineapple juice method as well.

My starter died when I brought it to my in-laws to be because they heat with a wood stove during the day and let everything basically freeze overnight. When I got back home, instead of using water for one feeding, I used some juice that collected from some freshly cut pineapple and that brought it back to life.

Hmm, is that because of the bromelain in pineapple which breaks down proteins? Might help the little bugs metabolize flour faster.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Okay cool - I had transitioned to a 50/50 mix of whole wheat and AP after 3 days, guess I’ll stick with that for a week and see if it takes. Thanks for the advice y’all

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Fritz the Horse posted:

Hmm, is that because of the bromelain in pineapple which breaks down proteins? Might help the little bugs metabolize flour faster.

Fresh pineapple , especially the skin, has an incredible amount of yeast

You can even make a Kombucha/Ginger beer/kefir type drink called tepache from pineapple skins

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
kept feeding my starter as recommended. i also have made sourdough pancakes with just the starter every morning. today they were excellent, the starter took on an almost sweet smell like a very ripe fruit while before it was more vinegar boozy

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
GOOD FUCKIN BREAD

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I made some pitas with sourdough discard but I used so much olive oil they basically became naan.

I'm not mad.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Chad Sexington posted:

I made some pitas with sourdough discard but I used so much olive oil they basically became naan.

I'm not mad.

Sounds like a naan issue.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

LifeSunDeath posted:

Sounds like a naan issue.

We doing indian food based puns?

https://youtu.be/X-C2EDE8rew

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Jestery posted:

We doing indian food based puns?

https://youtu.be/X-C2EDE8rew

Samo-sad, brilliant!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Their sourdough crackers are great for using up discard too.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-crackers-recipe

I make 'em with everything bagel seasoning on top.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Their sourdough crackers are great for using up discard too.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-crackers-recipe

I make 'em with everything bagel seasoning on top.

Make sure to get them thin! Mine came out chewy last time.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I've made the sourdough discard crackers a few times now. They are absolutely delicious.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I made (everything. the only correct ones) bagels

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Question for the brain trust.

I’m making a FWSY Pain de Campaigne and I started the levain this morning around 8. However, now my wife wants to go to the beach at basically first light tomorrow morning.

Can I hold the shaped loaves in the fridge and extra 8 or 10 hours okay? Assuming I would get home around 5/6 and bake them then? What about 24 hours if I wait until Monday morning? Or should I do something with the levain now to extend it? Or something after mixing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Murgos posted:

Question for the brain trust.

I’m making a FWSY Pain de Campaigne and I started the levain this morning around 8. However, now my wife wants to go to the beach at basically first light tomorrow morning.

Can I hold the shaped loaves in the fridge and extra 8 or 10 hours okay? Assuming I would get home around 5/6 and bake them then? What about 24 hours if I wait until Monday morning? Or should I do something with the levain now to extend it? Or something after mixing?

Just put it in the fridge for up to like a week. If you can, put it in the fridge a bi before it's done rising so it has food to eat while it cools down. It won't have as nice oven spring if you leave it for more than a few days but it will still be tasty bread. (In fact it will probably develop some more complex flavors.)

Unless you are looking for magazine-perfect bread, it is generally pretty forgiving if you get the proof anywhere close.