Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ethanol posted:

just blatantly not even putting the screen refresh rate issue or completely missing wind data in the known issues list, we should have known they weren't going to patch it

That's not the known issues list, that's the list of stuff being fixed in the first patch.

It would be nice for them to acknowledge the other issues, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Popete posted:

Has anyone had issues with ATC giving you landing clearance at the same time as other planes? I was flying in pattern and finally got clearance as shortly afterwards I hear ATC give an inbound AI airliner clearance to land on the opposite end of the runway. Sure enough as I'm coming in to land I see a giant airliner coming right at me. I tell ATC imm going around and I again get clearance to land which I then do safely.

It's been a thing since they originally introduced it in the series lol

Anime Store Adventure posted:

No, totally agreed. I said if I could play within a day or two of launch without some major hell bug, it would be a "good" launch by today's standards. My contention is just about their communication. It would go a long way to say "sorry the weathers hosed and we're looking at it" considering they have an issues tracker.

They're pretty bad about comms for sure. Their entire forum is pretty neglected on their part, and if you complain about anything you get zealous defensive responses from fellow community members.

They'll get it right eventually but the community management is pretty mediocre.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is the "Live Traffic" setting for other Air Traffic working properly? I've had it on that setting and pretty much never see any other planes at all, even flying into or out of places like JFK, SFO, etc. I don't really care if the planes I'm seeing are real-world planes or not, should I just set it to AI?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My pet theory is that they pushed out the PC release when it was a little half-baked specifically to serve as a public beta and stress test for the XBox version. It's going to be a flagship, first-party launch title for the new console and it would be really embarrassing if it ran like poo poo and was full of bugs.

Also I would note that the current performance and level of finish is equivalent or superior to every other flight simulator at release. It's not a high bar to clear but it's still the best so far.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Sagebrush posted:

My pet theory is that they pushed out the PC release when it was a little half-baked specifically to serve as a public beta and stress test for the XBox version. It's going to be a flagship, first-party launch title for the new console and it would be really embarrassing if it ran like poo poo and was full of bugs.

Also I would note that the current performance and level of finish is equivalent or superior to every other flight simulator at release. It's not a high bar to clear but it's still the best so far.

100% agree, in my case performance is fine but frankly I don't find it enjoyable to "fly" in just yet. I'm glad to not have to have gone to the config tweaking lengths some have, which is a far cry from the state of things in X-Plane and P3d on the same overpowered box. This definitely screams, "let's just make some money on the open beta."

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Is the "Live Traffic" setting for other Air Traffic working properly? I've had it on that setting and pretty much never see any other planes at all, even flying into or out of places like JFK, SFO, etc. I don't really care if the planes I'm seeing are real-world planes or not, should I just set it to AI?

“Properly” might be a strong word but it definitely does grab some real planes and I’ve seen it work fairly consistently, but I can’t speak to the “density” of flights. Especially since ATC is so hosed I don’t anticipate that we’ll ever get anything close to AI planes that can approach a “busy” airport level.

Not sure if rando AI are better.

Sagebrush posted:

Also I can’t disagree with this especially considering I got X-plane 11 after they added their AI ATC which is still worse than MSFS’s, their live weather broke shortly there after, worldwide, and even after I got a live traffic plugin the world still felt almost completely empty.

So despite the worst bugs, those features still beat out X-Plane 11 “today” more or less. (Though xplane has since fixed the weather and has active sky support.)

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 27, 2020

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
The weather is my big issue, I don't want to have to shell out for Active Sky again.

But I will if that's the only way to get some winds more than once in five flights

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

A MIRACLE posted:

Yes it’s buggy. Yes it’s my favorite game since battletech

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Charles posted:

That's not the known issues list, that's the list of stuff being fixed in the first patch.

It would be nice for them to acknowledge the other issues, though.

im specifically talking about this page

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/known-issues-last-modified-8-27-2020/128064

edit: there is a list that says live weather at the bottom? hopefully that is stuff they are addressing, can't really tell if its automatically populating there or not based on popular threads.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 27, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm having trouble with the Garmin G3000. Sometimes it's becoming partially unresponsive for me. Last time was when I was creating my flight plan. I had added departure and arrival airports, activated that leg of the journey, and from that moment on I couldn't get out of the flight plan or make any changes anymore to it. The buttons would light up when you hover over them, and I could enter the menus for the waypoints, but none of the buttons would do anything. I also couldn't get out of the flight plan anymore. Is that a bug?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Jfc

quote:

Achievement: In The Wild

Currently, users are not able to receive the achievement “In the Wild.” Our team is currently looking into it.

I'm pretty sure this is new since I last looked here. For real, guys?

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Am I right in thinking the Gladiator MkII is the best AIO? I'm using the Logitech 3D and wouldn't mind an upgrade but the Thrustmaster HOTAS is both out of stock and quite a large setup.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Gasoline posted:

The weather is my big issue, I don't want to have to shell out for Active Sky again.

But I will if that's the only way to get some winds more than once in five flights

Right, I'm supposed to be in a hurricane, but it's nice weather. I mean the main screen map shows it, but I'm loaded in and it's clear skies.

ethanol posted:

im specifically talking about this page

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/known-issues-last-modified-8-27-2020/128064

edit: there is a list that says live weather at the bottom? hopefully that is stuff they are addressing, can't really tell if its automatically populating there or not based on popular threads.

Oh gotcha, yeah and that list is 10 days old to boot.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Jfc

I'm pretty sure this is new since I last looked here. For real, guys?

Yeah I think that got added today. lol that achievement unlocking is a "top issue."

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

csidle posted:

Did anyone happen to record Sagebrush VOR tutorial - otherwise, Sagebrush, I'd chip in a buck for a youtube version of it. Would love to understand the VOR system.

If you're looking for not-flight-sim-specific, I watched this video the other day to learn VOR in general.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Charles posted:

Oh gotcha, yeah and that list is 10 days old to boot.

it's updated as of today

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Bold Robot posted:

Did you check your graphics settings? I believe there's one specifically for rendering real world / AI planes, if your overall settings are medium or low it may have been toggled off.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
For understanding the SDK and creating assets there's also https://www.reddit.com/r/FS2020Creation/

Check out this Meigs Field addon

(for those that may not know, Meigs Field was in Chicago and was the default starting field for the older MS Flight Sim games. It was torn down by the mayor of Chicago rather quickly, by being bulldozed overnight, to the dismay of many. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meigs_Field)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m3MYf3KLbo

hannibal fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 28, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweet. Hopefully someone makes a Kai Tak soon

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm used to developers having, you know, a sense of urgency in addressing widespread crippling downloader/installation issues. I had assumed they were addressing those behind the scenes, server-side. But lmao, nope, they're really making people wait two whole weeks.
It's a French company in August, everyone is on vacation

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Soy Division posted:

It's a French company in August, everyone is on vacation

Best time for a launch obviously.

Like I don’t begrudge them their vacation but it’s dumb to release now if that’s the case

Oh well I got it on gamepass for a buck and I’ve had a blast. I consider it open beta.

If they polish it up I’m so getting that loving dreamliner

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Like I dont begrudge them their vacation but its dumb to release now if thats the case

Oh well I got it on gamepass for a buck and Ive had a blast. I consider it open beta.

If they polish it up Im so getting that loving dreamliner

Launch it and leave baby

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Anyway, until my VKB Gladiator comes in the mail I'm just letting the AI copilot fly OnAir missions transporting very legal, very cool cargo out of Panama. With damage turned off AI can complete most OnAir deliveries, it's great as a glorified screen saver. Also a good chance to re-familiarize myself with the avionics, etc

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Like I don’t begrudge them their vacation but it’s dumb to release now if that’s the case

Oh well I got it on gamepass for a buck and I’ve had a blast. I consider it open beta.

If they polish it up I’m so getting that loving dreamliner

Counterpoint: Game's a dollar via gamepass.

But yeah, this was a shaky launch. I'm glad I refunded it on steam day 1.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grumio posted:

The new IL-2 series, aka the "Great Battles" series (Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Kuban etc) is excellent. While it's not full clicky cockpit like DCS, it's a great sim with great graphics, feeling of flight and damage models.

The original Battle of Stalingrad is seen as the base game, and it's a good starting point. From there it depends on what era/theatre you fancy- Battle of Kuban covers ~1943 in the caucuses, while the new hotness is Battle of Bodenplatte, focusing on the western front in late 1944-early 1945. I'd lean towards the latter, it's what the most popular servers tend to use these days.

You just missed a big sale, but odds are there'll be another one in a month or two, so you can grab it for cheaper.

We don't have organized events, but there are usually goons flying several times a week in the evenings on the airgoons discord and happy to show you the ropes

Awesome, thanks a lot. I'll try to track down Stalingrad/ Bodenplatte on discount somewhere because I'm definitely not paying over 100EUR to dick around with it for a bit

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

It's so obvious that OnAir was designed by Germans. Lots of insane details but terrible UX. I think it's the reputation deductions for extremely minor poo poo that really seals the case for me

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Soy Division posted:

It's so obvious that OnAir was designed by Germans. Lots of insane details but terrible UX. I think it's the reputation deductions for extremely minor poo poo that really seals the case for me

The stall ones are the worst. You get dinged 0.5% with even just the slightest hint of the warning sound. And if you're just barely hovering over the stall range while landing, you can get that warning multiple times in rapid succession, and it will ding you 0.5% for every instance. (And I get that isn't how you're supposed to land, but I'm bad at this, okay.) That part of the reputation system can't be as designed. You're getting penalized multiple times for one stall event.

The other annoying part is when the autopilot whips your plane around for no good reason and you get a 1% reputation hit for a 45 degree bank.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Does it ding you half a percent for stalling on landing in the small GA planes? because it's different in airliners but in a 172 it is totally fine and appropriate to hear the stall horn come on as you flare.

45 degree banked turns are also a basic flight maneuver. Yeesh

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Does it ding you half a percent for stalling on landing in the small GA planes? because it's different in airliners but in a 172 it is totally fine and appropriate to hear the stall horn come on as you flare.

Yep. And like I said, if you start to hear the horn then it goes away and comes back, you get hit twice. Or as many times as that happens. Fun!

edit: I like OnAir's general philosophy of making you fly properly and professionally, or else your reputation will suffer, but its current FS2020 implementation is pretty broken still. I figure it's something that will get better over time. Hopefully.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 28, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just installed an additional 16 gigs of ram and upgraded from an i5 8600k to an i9 9900k because of this stupid loving fun as hell game.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Xpost from the OnAir thread while we're on the topic of getting hosed

Thom and the Heads posted:

Oof. Almost just crashed my brand new rented Grand Caravan on my first job due to autopilot putting me into a death spiral. Luckily I had enough altitude to recover but I think OnAir is going to be VERY upset with me after I land.

Thom and the Heads posted:

Narrator: They were

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

45 degree banked turns are also a basic flight maneuver. Yeesh
Also dings you for taking off without flaps in a tiny GA plane. yeah I really need flaps for my 172 to make it off this 8000ft runway

They should just give you a "professional flying bonus" that can be turned off by people who don't care

Soy Division fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 28, 2020

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just installed an additional 16 gigs of ram and upgraded from an i5 8600k to an i9 9900k because of this stupid loving fun as hell game.

Any better?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Soy Division posted:

Also dings you for taking off without flaps in a tiny GA plane. yeah I really need flaps for my 172 to make it off this 8000ft runway

They should just give you a "professional flying bonus" that can be turned off by people who don't care

You can turn off the "realistic flying" in settings so it doesn't ding you. You just miss some XP bonuses that don't much matter imo.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
That's kind of why I haven't touched OnAir. That sort of gamification is enough for me to hook it straight into my veins but getting kicked in the face for a million minor infractions that don't affect anything would be infuriating. Doubly so if it meant my run wasn't profitable or I couldn't afford a shiny new thing.

Sagebrush posted:

This, plus I'd go one further and say their plan is to somehow get this thing running on Xbone (let alone Series X) and then port those performance enhancements back. Halo is delayed and Sony has nothing, so having a certified hit on day one is a massive deal this gen. If I were a gambling man I'd say there's a large amount of people desperately swearing at xbone dev kits and two guys trying to fix PC installer bugs.

I still like the game and it runs fine for me, but it's gotta suck if you're hardcore into sims and the biggest release in a decade is unplayable. :/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Spectracide posted:

Here's a Reddit thread about a tweak to improve FPS inside planes with a glass clockpit. Basically it lowers the update rate of the 2D panels. Comments look promising. Check it out if you're CPU bound in airliners.

I installed these files and it increased my frames in the Cessna 172 to 60fps.... by completely breaking the PFD and MFD so that they didn't display anything.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Grumio posted:

IL 2 GB words

For the single player career is there a better way to make missions not involve 20 mins of flying each way than starting as a squadron leader and just moving waypojnts closer to the objective? I like the flying and stuff but I would very much rather just skip past the long flights to the objective and just do the objective (and also not be a squadron leader from the off because I like being told what to do)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Not the Messiah posted:

For the single player career is there a better way to make missions not involve 20 mins of flying each way than starting as a squadron leader and just moving waypojnts closer to the objective? I like the flying and stuff but I would very much rather just skip past the long flights to the objective and just do the objective (and also not be a squadron leader from the off because I like being told what to do)

When you start a campaign you can select your rank. From the difficulty settings you should be able to set an option to start near your objective.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Black Griffon posted:

Man, all this talk of WW2 planes has me itching to reinstall IL-2. I uninstalled it a month ago because I hadn't played it in a minute and thought "eh, the HOTAS is probably just gonna rest for a while", and then all this happened and I realized it was on gamepass.

Sorry to derail but I can't find this on gamepass? I wouldn't mind playing another flight sim/casual game that doesn't set my PC on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Popete posted:

When you start a campaign you can select your rank. From the difficulty settings you should be able to set an option to start near your objective.

son of a bitch if its that obvious and I've missed it I'm going to throw myself out of a window meticulously rendered cockpit