Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Picard is the guy who lost his heart in a bar fight with not-Klingons and ended up becoming Captain of the Flagship. A smart show would have him appear as a series finale to provide a cap to Mariner and Boimler's arcs and basically repeat the lesson of Tapestry.

Mariner would be told "You keep asking everyone to trust you but that's never going to happen as long as you can't even do simple poo poo according to the rules" and Boimler would be told "Following the rules is great but if you want to be noticed for command you need to stand out and know when to take a few risks".

You don't even need to do a comedy version of Picard (but Stewart's work in Family Guy shows he can absolutely do it), you could have him do that role entirely straight. The meta joke could even be that the Enterprise is the only non-dysfunctional ship in the fleet, which is why it gets so much work to do. Or just go through all the wild stuff that happened in TNG because the crew are dysfunctional there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Epicurius posted:

I liked that it followed the rule of meetings.

There's a natural progression when it comes to working your way up the ranks of an organization, and your attitude about meetings.

1. Wow. All the important people go to meetings
2. I'm finally important enough to get to go to meetings.
3. God, not another meeting!

Both the meeting to discuss getting new chairs and the mandatory socializing felt really real to me.

Also Shaxs and the catdoctor are cool and good, more of them please.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Super Deuce posted:

You literally said... Man, it's hopeless. You'll defend the nonsense of this show regardless.

I’m not defending anything, this show doesn’t need defending. I’m just saying what I like and what I don’t and why. You, on the other hand, have done almost nothing in this thread but argue. You’ve made it very obvious that you really hate this show, but you can hate it just fine without having to prove people who do like it are wrong somehow, y’know?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MikeJF posted:

Best throwback trek reference this week was Ransom doing the Riker leg-up while he hit on an ensign.
You mean the thing he's been doing almost constantly in every episode so far?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

The evil AI menace from Picard was practically, beat for beat, a ripoff of the Reapers from Mass Effect.

Right down to the concept of the Catalyst and the organic lifeforms creating the AI that ultimately turns on them and attacks their civilization.

It was so blatant I'm shocked there's anybody around here defending what they did.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I enjoyed the back half of the episode more than the start. I think they need to tone down Mariner as a lot of her quirks are not endearing nor make sense in the context of a militarily structured organization.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Alchenar posted:

You don't even need to do a comedy version of Picard (but Stewart's work in Family Guy shows he can absolutely do it), you could have him do that role entirely straight. The meta joke could even be that the Enterprise is the only non-dysfunctional ship in the fleet, which is why it gets so much work to do. Or just go through all the wild stuff that happened in TNG because the crew are dysfunctional there as well.

In light of how insecure the Captain is, I still think it would be amazing to have Stewart and Frakes guest star as a straight laced Picard and Riker on a joint mission where they do everything competently and it just aggravates the Cerritos command more and more. Not to say Stewart and Frakes can’t be funny, just competent.

Or I mean any number of other funny things they could do with cameos now that physical looks aren’t a barrier. I brought up Q a week or so ago and imagining Mariner quibbling with Q might be the only thing that makes her sass bearable, while Boimler ineptly tries to put the brakes on whatever the two of them eventually get into.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Martytoof posted:

Frakes can’t be funny, just competent.

God I want a Frakes cameo now. Put the whole "acting Captain" bullshit from Picard behind us and have him roll up in the Titan.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Or I mean any number of other funny things they could do with cameos now that physical looks aren’t a barrier. I brought up Q a week or so ago and imagining Mariner quibbling with Q might be the only thing that makes her sass bearable, while Boimler ineptly tries to put the brakes on whatever the two of them eventually get into.
I was actually reading a thread where someone else took the same premise in a different direction. Q shows up and Mariner tries to have fun adventures with him, but he blows her off, saying that it's only fun if the other guy is an uptight straight man who still has some fight in them. Q then goes on to bother the rest of the crew, but doesn't get the reaction he's looking for (the senior staff are just irritated with him, Boimler is too much of a coward to stand up to him, Tendi's too nice, Rutherford awkwardly tries to roll with everything). He then finally returns to Mariner and figures out how to get under her skin by making her a lieutenant commander with an exemplary service record.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That’s much more plausible given Mariner is way more annoying than Q.

And a genuinely funny idea.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I like the cartoon Star Trek and I hope they make a lot more of it. I hope it inspires a bunch more animated Star Treks.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Marshal Radisic posted:

I was actually reading a thread where someone else took the same premise in a different direction. Q shows up and Mariner tries to have fun adventures with him, but he blows her off, saying that it's only fun if the other guy is an uptight straight man who still has some fight in them. Q then goes on to bother the rest of the crew, but doesn't get the reaction he's looking for (the senior staff are just irritated with him, Boimler is too much of a coward to stand up to him, Tendi's too nice, Rutherford awkwardly tries to roll with everything). He then finally returns to Mariner and figures out how to get under her skin by making her a lieutenant commander with an exemplary service record.

This is a fantastic episode concept.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I really liked the ascension scene. Finally a scene that made me laugh out loud. (Well, an amused chuckle, but it was definitely out loud.)

I feel like they still need to dial in Mariner's character a bit, but I'm starting to get a handle on what they want to do with her. And it's nice to see Tandi get some characterization. I look forward to an episode where Mariner isn't front and center.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TomR posted:

I like the cartoon Star Trek and I hope they make a lot more of it. I hope it inspires a bunch more animated Star Treks.

Dud of an episode aside, I’m afraid I’m only 105% behind this opinion.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Drone posted:

It still irks me that the nameplate is on the wrong end of the saucer though. I don't really get why they did that.

It's so people know which ship is running away from them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It’s actually on the front of the ship and they’ve had it in reverse all this time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ashpanash posted:

I really liked the ascension scene. Finally a scene that made me laugh out loud. (Well, an amused chuckle, but it was definitely out loud.)

It's literally just this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CUiyT0Uh6w

e: except the Rick and Morty joke was much funnier

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

I'm convinced that the reason Picard failed was because they put together a much tighter story for the first season than we actually got, were all set and ready to go, and then someone (be it a writer, a producer, whatever) took a gigantic Sharpie to the whole thing and made massive changes. The writers then didn't really try terribly hard to adapt the story they wrote to account for the new changes, and so you get things like... including a random Riker/Troi episode in the middle of it -- which I mean it was a fine episode but it reeked of "we put this in here because we had to" because of its wild departure from the season's pacing.

Huh, come to think of it, what's Chabon's stated reason for not returning for season two? Is it realistic, or does it stink of 'excuse covering the real reason for departure'. I could easily see him leaving or being forced out after conflicts over that kind of thing.

To many interests tugging on it has always been Trek's bane, after all. It's the biggest reason why Voyager and Enterprise ended up the way they did. The only thing everyone could agree on was wishing they had TNG's ratings. "Be more like TNG! And play it safe!"

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 27, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I don't see where all the hate is coming from for this episode; they toned down the manic pace slightly, had a proper Trekkian sci-fi gimmick with the generation ship and terraforming goop, and made Mariner a bit less insufferable by putting her on the back foot and showing more of the relationship between her and Carol. Plus Tendi actually got to do something for once. It was the most solid ep so far, for me.

Best gag was Boimler's hot-mic moment with his combadge, though. How do they know when you've stopped talking to the person at the other end?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

It’s like a lot of scenes. “Well-meaning doofus attends a solemn event and disrupts it with their doofery” is a super common comedic scenario. Rick and Morty neither invented it nor perfected it. I guarantee you that The Simpsons has done it better than either show. Multiple times. Which is probably true of any joke you can name.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Phylodox posted:

It’s like a lot of scenes. “Well-meaning doofus attends a solemn event and disrupts it with their doofery” is a super common comedic scenario. Rick and Morty neither invented it nor perfected it. I guarantee you that The Simpsons has done it better than either show. Multiple times. Which is probably true of any joke you can name.

No, specifically the late-episode scene where guy starts ascending and then regrets it. It's literally the same afterlife joke, except not nearly as cleverly told.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Episode felt unbalanced. The humor wasn't really there, the C(?) plot with Boimler needed way more time given to it or they should have just left it out, I don't know.
By the time it was over I just felt like I wasted 20 minutes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

No, specifically the late-episode scene where guy starts ascending and then regrets it. It's literally the same afterlife joke, except not nearly as cleverly told.

Oh, then I have to disagree. “Why is he smiling?!? What does he know?!?” puts it over the Rick and Morty scene for me.

Also, The Simpsons probably did that better, too.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Huh, come to think of it, what's Chabon's stated reason for not returning for season two? Is it realistic, or does it stink of 'excuse covering the real reason for departure'. I could easily see him leaving or being forced out after conflicts over that kind of thing.

To many interests tugging on it has always been Trek's bane, after all. It's the biggest reason why Voyager and Enterprise ended up the way they did. The only thing everyone could agree on was wishing they had TNG's ratings. "Be more like TNG! And play it safe!"
From (Variety)

quote:

You were going to step away as showrunner of “Picard” in order to make your Showtime series based on “The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay” with your wife Ayelet Waldman. Where are you with that?

Truthfully, you can’t really be the showrunner of a show and do anything else. It was all consuming. I loved every minute of it — the hard parts as much as the easy parts. But I recognized that I couldn’t do it again, and also finish a novel, and also develop “Kavalier & Clay” and ultimately co-showrun that with Ayelet. There’s just no way. So I’m still an executive producer on “Picard.” I’m writing two episodes. I was there breaking the second season, all the way through. I was engaged, I think, in exactly the same degree as I was on Season 1 up to the point where it’s time to start production — and at that point, I will not be doing the same thing at all. I’ll just be continuing to give notes and, and be involved as an EP.

(Showtime is a ViacomCBS property)

I imagine if there's any drama behind the scenes, CBS wouldn't give have been given a production deal.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Funny all the hate for this past episode. I didn't really like episode 3 too much but I thought episode 4 was pretty funny and enjoyable.. So far episode 2 is my clear favorite. Show is delightful IMO.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Counterpoint: this scene didn't even make me crack a smile (and I don't hate R&M as much as I've just never watched past the first season or 2)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, ep 4 good, and had a great Trek concept. It helps they could properly visualise it in a way they’d never be able to in live action. LDS is fine, y’all.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I didn't enjoy episode 4 as much and I'm not sure why.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

My terrible hot take:
Episode 4 felt to me like Mariner said at the end, they're laughing at us, not with us. It came across to me as "Gee didn't TNG suck? Only a loser would find that nerd poo poo interesting."

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Ep 5 is gonna have this ship:

Looks pretty good there, hopefully we get some better angles.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Alchenar posted:

Interesting. It didn't strike me as the same joke at all. To me, the Rick and Morty joke was 'Oh no, the whole thing was real after all, AND there was plenty of obvious evidence that it was.'

On the other hand, the LDS joke is more 'Oh, even after all of my preparation, it turns out I'm utterly unprepared for what I'm experiencing.'

Well. You know what they say about examining jokes.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
How had no one pointed out the episode stole a front page joke from 2006?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
People did when that padd showed up in the trailer. Turns out that was basically the entire joke. People make poops in the holodeck.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ashpanash posted:

Interesting. It didn't strike me as the same joke at all. To me, the Rick and Morty joke was 'Oh no, the whole thing was real after all, AND there was plenty of obvious evidence that it was.'

The whole bit is just a vehicle for an obscure Ghost reference, really.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think the episode was fine.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

I think the episode was fine.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought the ship getting attacked by the genesis goo was fun.

They're clearly aiming this at a late teens early 20 audience or what they think that age demographic wants to see in their characters so I can see why some fogeys my age dislike it, but I can adjust.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

This episode got a rating of 2 laughs out of me, with one of them being a very long and hearty laugh. It was otherwise entirely too tropey and had too much reset at the end and not enough "person actually learning a lesson and changing." A shame after the last episode got me all in.

That being said, I did actually like the premise at the start. Generation ships + matter that converts inorganic to organic is fun stuff. A bit wasted on this episode but still better than nothing.

The worst part is how prideful officers are. Incredibly un-Trek and un-entertaining.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 28, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I liked this episode a lot. Honestly, the only thing I didn't really like was the very end of Ensign Lieutenant Ensign Mariner's arc.

I've accepted this as an episodic comedy cartoon that just so happens to use the Star Trek setting, and that the spirit and tone of the show shares only that superficial connection. Maybe the writers want it to be considered canon, but I don't seriously see that happening. And in that light, it seems OK to me, considering this is just the first season. So, I was expecting the reset button to be pressed at some point near the end. But the way they did it seemed... I don't know. Cheap?

I think a better way to do it would have been to leave most of it off-camera. Have Admiral Whoever say one word clearly wrong, have him say it wrong again, zoom in on Mariner's smirking face, and then smash cut to her back in the lower decks as an ensign, talking about how she knows how to get demoted.

Oh, and I loved the ascension scene. The dude finally made it. The way that was handled was downright hilarious.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ascension gave me vibes of Bill Cipher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Ep 5 is gonna have this ship:

Looks pretty good there, hopefully we get some better angles.

Kinda looks like Riker’s Titan if it had been designed during TNG season 5.