Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Plasbad posted:

Oh hey, for all those interested in ranked battles online, starting next month they're actually banning the use of the top 10 Pokemon in both ranked singles and doubles.

Banned Pokémon: Venusaur, Gyarados, Porygon2, Tyranitar, Torkoal, Hippowdon, Magnezone, Togekiss, Excadrill, Whimsicott, Incineroar, Mimikyu, Rillaboom, Cinderace, Indeedee, Dragapult

This should honestly shake things up a lot and keep it interesting. And these bans extend to VGC as well.

I foresee a handful of Pokemon possibly being good/back to being good now: Arcanine, Sandaconda, Pincurchin, Weezing with the Misty Terrain, the hail users, more rain, maybe more Urshifu. The terrain and weather gaps will be filled by the appropriate replacements; less sun and sand is certain but the latter can still be triggered through the aforementioned anaconda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

GoodBee posted:

I just finished playing through White then Black. Now I'm on White 2 and it's adorable. I like naming my rival. I don't have my first badge yet.

I don't know if I should play X/Y or Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby next though.

What a coincidence, I just played through White for the first time and I'm simultaneously playing Alpha Sapphire and Y. I only played Gen 5 up to the first gym back when it was new so it was cool to experience it finally. BW2 is too expensive for me and frankly I'm spoiled on QOL changes since then. I played through X when it came out but only up to the Elite 4, I didn't touch the post game at all. I skipped ORAS as well, which I feel like was a mistake now that I'm actually playing it.

Thoughts on Gen 6: super training is OP. I had fully EV trained Pokemon (the three starters) before the first gym. The ORAS implementation of the touchscreen is awesome and I'm mad that the Dexnav hasn't been in other games. XY probably has the best starters imo, though for having such a physical focused move pool (in level up at least) it's weird that Greninja has a higher special attack (however slight it is). The big downside of playing these games after putting so many hours into gen 7 and 8 is having to deal with HMs again.

To actually answer your question, I would say play XY before ORAS. XY has a really cool region as well (although I seem to be in a minority in that I really like Alola too) but ORAS improves just enough that I feel like playing XY after will feel like a step backwards.

Fake edit: Gen 8 should have leaned into PokeBritain by giving us a postgame in Kalos like Gen 2 had Kanto in the postgame.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Diet Poison posted:

poo poo, that's something I never realized I missed. Naming my rival after my various nemeses was always fun. Bring that back, Gamefreak.

I'd also like to be able to control their appearance, too. Maybe under the guise if your character dragging them along the the clothing shop and hair salon. Hell, the rival's basically always your best friend anyway.

OMG that would be great! I played Shield, Moon, then White and Black. Those all had static rivals. It might also be cool to customize your rivals personality too.

Humerus posted:

To actually answer your question, I would say play XY before ORAS. XY has a really cool region as well (although I seem to be in a minority in that I really like Alola too) but ORAS improves just enough that I feel like playing XY after will feel like a step backwards.

Fake edit: Gen 8 should have leaned into PokeBritain by giving us a postgame in Kalos like Gen 2 had Kanto in the postgame.

I played a lot of Gen 3 on the GBA but I heard the remakes were worth playing. I do want to play X/Y more than ORAS. I also really like Alola. I played Moon but I'm going to go back and play Ultra Sun eventually. I guess after ORAS.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

GoodBee posted:

OMG that would be great! I played Shield, Moon, then White and Black. Those all had static rivals. It might also be cool to customize your rivals personality too.

The uptick in shipping fan art would be insane. Also the uptick in lovable rear end in a top hat tsundere rivals.

N-not that I like that sort of thing or anything y-you idiot! *luminescent blush*

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of rear end in a top hat rivals, Bea made her debut in the main anime this week (and Ash got wrecked hard)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I want the drat pss back

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
That last DLC fight was something else.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Well drat Digging Pa went kind of nuts on me today. He dug me up 152,000 Watts! :stare: Like holy goddamn!

I've given 1 million Watts to the dojo lady now. Don't know if there's any more milestone after that because I was too busy being blown away by how many Watts I got.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Well drat Digging Pa went kind of nuts on me today. He dug me up 152,000 Watts! :stare: Like holy goddamn!

I've given 1 million Watts to the dojo lady now. Don't know if there's any more milestone after that because I was too busy being blown away by how many Watts I got.

I think the limit is 3 million watts and after that there's nothing left to update. So 2 mil more to go I guess? Digging Pa rules by the way, he really helps out when the game has essentially become apricorn farmer simulator since I'm trying to collect 999 yellow apricorns so I can have an unprecedented 3 loving moon balls....yes I'm bitter about these drop rates.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Silver Falcon posted:

The next milestone is 3 million but you only get her rare league card.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Type the mystery gift code PKMNPLAYERSCUP to get a Porygon2 and make all your wild dreams come true!*

* conditions may apply

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

RatHat posted:

The next milestone is 3 million but you only get her rare league card.

That's basically all you get, right? Reduced cost vitamins and a rare card? Doesn't seem worth that grind.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

GoodBee posted:

I just finished playing through White then Black. Now I'm on White 2 and it's adorable. I like naming my rival. I don't have my first badge yet.

Omega Ruby has the better climax because Groudon sets the sky on fire and the music isn't drowned out by the sfx like it is in Alpha

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

That's basically all you get, right? Reduced cost vitamins and a rare card? Doesn't seem worth that grind.

The half price vitamins are very good but you only need 400k watts for that. The rest isn't really worth it, yeah.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GoodBee posted:

I suggest ORAS first because playing through in the other order I flat out could not finish that game

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/nobita_4/status/1298205220132929536

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:allbuttons:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I really like using ghost Type Null as a fighting check.

RatHat posted:

That Diglett has 31 in all IVs.

EDIT: Diglett, not Ditto. If the game gave out a perfect IV Ditto that'd be nuts.
Aw, shucks. The alolan diglett was a ground/steel type with the ridiculous hilarious rockband hair, right?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sanctum posted:

I really like using ghost Type Null as a fighting check.

Aw, shucks. The alolan diglett was a ground/steel type with the ridiculous hilarious rockband hair, right?

Yep. Honestly it's not that hard to get perfect IV Pokemon these days(well, for breedable Pokemon) but it was a nice bonus.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I mean, if people need perfect IV Dittos they kind of only have to ask.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kurieg posted:

I mean, if people need perfect IV Dittos they kind of only have to ask.

Who can give me a 4 IV ditto with 0 in ATK and SPD?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Powerful

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is Popplio’s hidden ability a big deal? From what I can see a lot of the time you don’t even want to use hyper voice on it

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is Popplio’s hidden ability a big deal? From what I can see a lot of the time you don’t even want to use hyper voice on it

According to Pikalytics, 63% of the people that use her have Hyper Voice. From personal experience, her hidden ability is awesome.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Sometimes you want to give that Substitute user a big wet "gently caress YOU". And it lets you activate Throat Spray and act like a pseudo Choice Specs.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Hyper Voice is also a spread move, so hitting both opponents is definitely relevant. Downside is Hyper Voice doesn't change types when Dynamaxed, so sometimes gotta run 2 "water" moves if you plan on Maxing the Primarina.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

In singles Primarina's ability doesn't matter, but in doubles it's essential since Sparkling Aria and Surf hit allies.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’ve seen lots of people online in Sw/Sh wearing crowns. How do I get one?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Hyper Voice is also a spread move, so hitting both opponents is definitely relevant. Downside is Hyper Voice doesn't change types when Dynamaxed, so sometimes gotta run 2 "water" moves if you plan on Maxing the Primarina.

I think it does, at least it does with Sylveon's Pixilate. For Sylveon, IIRC the move selection says it's Normal type but it will also say it'll be super effective against the types Fairy would be super effective against. It's also called "Max Strike" in the move select but then plays the animation for Max Starfall. I would be really surprised if it worked differently for HA Primarina.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Fortis posted:

I think it does, at least it does with Sylveon's Pixilate. For Sylveon, IIRC the move selection says it's Normal type but it will also say it'll be super effective against the types Fairy would be super effective against. It's also called "Max Strike" in the move select but then plays the animation for Max Starfall. I would be really surprised if it worked differently for HA Primarina.

Liquid Voice doesn't change moves based on their original type like other type-changing Abilities, it changes sound-based moves, and since Max Strike isn't a sound move Liquid Voice doesn't apply.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve seen lots of people online in Sw/Sh wearing crowns. How do I get one?

Finish the pokedex for the Isle of Armor.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hrist posted:

Finish the pokedex for the Isle of Armor.

Great, I just need a Seadra and a Porygon-Z

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Restricted sparring with ground types is garbage. Last type I have to clear and I’m not IV training to beat an in game challenge. Straight horse poo poo.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Liquid Voice doesn't change moves based on their original type like other type-changing Abilities, it changes sound-based moves, and since Max Strike isn't a sound move Liquid Voice doesn't apply.

I run both Primarina and Sylveon on the same team and was wondering why they worked differently, this explanation was perfect thanks

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

bartlebee posted:

Restricted sparring with ground types is garbage. Last type I have to clear and I’m not IV training to beat an in game challenge. Straight horse poo poo.

What do you get for clearing those?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Lots of BP iirc

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
And some shirt. I started it amd felt like finishing it but the ground type run is not fun. I think the only other one that sucked this much was grass type.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I wonder if there's enough goon pokemon interest to sustain an 8 person draft league

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I used to make gym leader style teams for fun. Nothing ever competitive, but I liked the idea of being a Rock type gym leader with all Pokémon based off dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You get 30BP for getting 5 wins and 30BP for the first time getting 5 wins in each type and then 3BP for each win. After you get 5 wins in each type you get a t-shirt with Mustard on it.