Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

So the murder 1 charge is in regards to the second victim, sounds like there's not much sympathy at the prosecutor's office for a self-defense claim against the guy trying to disarm an active shooter

Apparently that charge is a life imprisonment period. But they still had to put the since a gun was used 5 years can be added part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can tell the prosecutor's serious because they went with the standard array of charges instead of a single one they knew wouldn't stick.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

For me, this event was the death knell of the America I grew up in, that I thought it was. Some of the following might come off callous, and I don't mean it to- I'm just old and tired.

Beyond the 'normal' Officer shooting/protests/riots
A kid dropped by his Mom to join a militia with an AR15 at a place she had a reasonable belief he would be in danger. If not, why give him a god drat rifle? Then this idiot loving kid became a scared idiot kid. Then it just went full blown 2020 America. It's just so loving sad. I also can't help but feel this might be the tipping point. Like, it's ok now. This is going to embolden assholes, and escalate the rioters. Just gently caress.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm utterly astounded how many people are lionizing this kid and saying "well if the protesters weren't causing trouble or pedos or had views I disagreed with this wouldn't have happened!" right now. Part of this country straight up is cool with wanton police murder and protesters being killed because they, as far as I can tell, either want a civil war or want a return to segregation and slavery or both.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

maffew buildings posted:

I'm utterly astounded how many people are lionizing this kid and saying "well if the protesters weren't causing trouble or pedos or had views I disagreed with this wouldn't have happened!" right now. Part of this country straight up is cool with wanton police murder and protesters being killed because they, as far as I can tell, either want a civil war or want a return to segregation and slavery or both.

I'm more grossed by the people who just straight up post "this kid is a hero/should be president" and how they aren't immediately banned by Twitter and other social media platforms for promoting murder.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

bulletsponge13 posted:

For me, this event was the death knell of the America I grew up in, that I thought it was. Some of the following might come off callous, and I don't mean it to- I'm just old and tired.

A kid dropped by his Mom to join a militia with an AR15 at a place she had a reasonable belief he would be in danger. If not, why give him a god drat rifle? Then this idiot loving kid became a scared idiot kid. Then it just went full blown 2020 America. It's just so loving sad. I also can't help but feel this might be the tipping point. Like, it's ok now. This is going to embolden assholes, and escalate the rioters. Just gently caress.

rioters lol

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The biggest danger here is a Wisconsin jury taking pity on a "scared" kid and "not wanting to ruin his life."

Here's the other thing to consider. He fled across state lines after committing a crime. That makes it a federal case.

"I'mma pardon him. Boys will be boys, y'know? I said that first." :smugdon:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The biggest danger here is a Wisconsin jury taking pity on a "scared" kid and "not wanting to ruin his life."

Here's the other thing to consider. He fled across state lines after committing a crime. That makes it a federal case.

I predict it doesn’t go to trial for at least a year and he walks on state charges. Feds decline to prosecute.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

~40% of the country are just full blown bloodthirsty psychopaths, and we have to figure out how to deal with that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Midjack posted:

I predict it doesn’t go to trial for at least a year and he walks on state charges. Feds decline to prosecute.

And in the meantime, we're probably going to see a bunch of "his name is Robert Paulsen Kyle Rittenhouse" bullshit from the Boog and militia circles, his mom making appearances on OANN and Fox News... :negative:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Google Butt posted:

rioters lol

Straight up- I support it if they are. I'm just loving tired, so fling poo somewhere else, because I honestly don't give a poo poo if you want to quibble over the word vs sentiment. I used the wrong word, you got the meaning.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

~40% of the country are just full blown bloodthirsty psychopaths, and we have to figure out how to deal with that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The president did say sunshine was a good way to combat COVID, Putin and Jinping would be doing the world a favor.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

bulletsponge13 posted:

His mom was apparently there.

Edit: further searching showed the tweet posted was incorrect and so I removed it.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 28, 2020

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Second night in a row that Daniel Dale is just like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1299197751373303809

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That makes a potential federal charge of interstate flight. It doesn't mean the state can't prosecute him for murder. Of doesn't mean both the fed and state can't charge him with murder.Unless the proof required to find him guilty for both state and federal crimes are identical, all convictions stand. E.g. evidence to prove Wisconsin murder 1 and federal murder to interfere with exercise of rights are different, so both convictions would stand. (But the feds aren't going to take this case)

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is what will happen.
Caveat: I've had a pessimistic week.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

bulletsponge13 posted:

The rioters tend to be the cops hth

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

NHK announces Abe is resigning for health reasons

https://twitter.com/nhk_news/status/1299212119531859968?s=19

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Doesn't charging the kid with 1st degree murder mean they have to show it was pre-meditated?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

GoGoGadget posted:

Doesn't charging the kid with 1st degree murder mean they have to show it was pre-meditated?

Yeah, I'm worried it's an over-reach.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just assume he's going to walk. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised, but you won't be disappointed.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

About half my right bicep got cut after having a car door opening into me while biking like ten years ago in the same state this happened and i had to sign a whole bunch of releases to make public the novel procedure they used to meld the muscle back together. Basically involved loosely sewing the muscle back together and wrapping it in donor tissue. At least 95% original strength but its lumpy as gently caress and takes a bunch of physical therapy to get there. Hope the bullshit I went through can help him out

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

GoGoGadget posted:

I'd say crossing state lines (given a lift by his mum, no less) with an assault rifle for the purpose of walking around like a hard man wielding it, with the almost certain possibility that he'll come across violent people is pretty much premeditated murder.

He's gone really far out of his way to purposefully put himself in a confrontational position, whilst equipped with a firearm. What did he expect would happen??

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

WEH posted:

About half my right bicep got cut after having a car door opening into me while biking like ten years ago in the same state this happened and i had to sign a whole bunch of releases to make public the novel procedure they used to meld the muscle back together. Basically involved loosely sewing the muscle back together and wrapping it in donor tissue. At least 95% original strength but its lumpy as gently caress and takes a bunch of physical therapy to get there. Hope the bullshit I went through can help him out

From the video I saw it looked like his bicep was literally missing

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
America is getting wild cause a large number of people, including the president, see Democrats or people who don't support conservative values (lmao), as enemies to be removed/eliminated. Trump doesn't talk about america, he talks about america and democrats. That's why people cheer these murders on, cause they're killing 'enemies of america'

Advantageous
Apr 8, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

America is getting wild cause a large number of people, including the president, see Democrats or people who don't support conservative values (lmao), as enemies to be removed/eliminated. Trump doesn't talk about america, he talks about america and democrats. That's why people cheer these murders on, cause they're killing 'enemies of america'

This is essentially what it has boiled down to and, as the rhetoric becomes more extreme, this relationship will worsen. The moment someone calls themselves a "patriot", you can pretty much know immediately where they stand.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/BillforPA14/status/1298973206670389249?s=20

https://twitter.com/BillforPA14/status/1298973208444637191?s=20

etc

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I need to check on D&D, I guess. I have no idea of what the implications would be.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

GoGoGadget posted:

No. Wisconsin only requires an intent to kill, not intent to kill + premeditation.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

On the right wing they are saying both of the deceased victims were just out of jail, one of which is a sex offender, and the guy who was shot in the arm had a gun. They’re rubbing themselves raw over the loss of life. It’s pretty sickening.

They always do

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
The amount of people that aren't seeing people with guns showing up to where Rosenbaum lives as the instigation of all this is insane to me. Growing up in the area where it happened probably isn't helping.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hot Karl Marx posted:

It's why they don't care about covid and going without a mask and spreading it is seen as a patriotic act just an fyi.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1299335846512881665?s=19

Garbage humans in a death cult

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Took me way too long to realize what he meant by "pelts" on the wall. Holy poo poo, what a scumbag

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They're all like this too. They're as violent as it comes

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I spent like 5 seconds trying to convince myself he meant it all as an indictment but...theres no way

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Stravag posted:

I spent like 5 seconds trying to convince myself he meant it all as an indictment but...theres no way

I really want it to be satire, but nothing about it feels like mockery

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1299343151979659265?s=19

Did we get good news on that asteroid? Is it going to hit us and end this mistake called humanity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Don't worry, the planet is taking care of its pesky "life" problem and almost all of it is going to be dead over the next 100-150 years.