Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Maz: I believe this Rey might be the future of the Force. I will help guide her path through the fog of discovery, and —
Someone Else: Maz! The unions are fighting against their inequitable treatment!
Maz: Not on my watch. *pulls out gun, runs off in opposite direction*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rian Johnson knew exactly how crappy of character Maz was.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Was the old EU like this
The first first EU story, the Marvel comics adaptation of ANH stated the issue of his medal with some caption like, "As for Chewbacca, he too will receive a medal, but because of his height the short princess cannot place it around his neck. Be assured he'll be receiving it in a private ceremony later."

I like how the "Maz gives the medal that Han used to buy drinks back to Chewbacca" continues to make Han be a shithead in the ST. You wouldn't want to denigrate the character of Maz going through Leia's belongings after her death.

All of that....for a loving bit nobody cared about.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chewie got a five-issue miniseries (titled Star Wars: Chewbacca) that ended with him giving his medal to some folks he helped out set directly after A New Hope

So his reaction to getting a medal in TROS was probably "dafuq do I need this for?"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

teagone posted:

Rian Johnson knew exactly how crappy of character Maz was.

Maybe he did and maybe he didn’t, but somebody clearly thought Maz being revealed as space-CIA was insanely hilarious. The solution to the character is not a lengthy laugh-free sequence where her old lady glasses... are spy glasses! And she’s using a jetpack!!!

These movies are just relentlessly unfunny.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i still don't get why people thought "it's salt" was some kind of epic one liner

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I still dont get why people get so mad about that line

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's just a studio-feeling line for dummies that makes no sense in actual context. Turning it back around as a way to smugly say "you mad" to people who didn't like the movie was of a piece with all lovely burns employed by libs- powerful covfefe energy

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ingmar terdman posted:

I still dont get why people get so mad about that line

The line itself is just innocuous exposition. A random character explains to the audience that the white stuff isn’t snow. Whatever.

The issue is more to do with why this is in the movie. Why is it necessary to specify what sort of mineral the ground is made of? They seem to be underlining that Krait is a ‘mineral planet’ (unlike other planets, this one is made of minerals) - but the actual point of the “white dirt over red dirt” imagery is a hastily-introduced and halfassed ecological theme. The planet is bleeding! All this conflict is hurting the planet!

That imagery of course bombed hard, because nobody actually gives a poo poo about a small amount of topsoil being kicked up in a barren wasteland. So you have this dippy spirituality and “don’t punch Nazis” stuff that people just completely tune out.

All that remains is this dude testing an unfamiliar substance that he finds on the ground, by eating it.

“Hmm. Cyanide.”

As is the case throughout TLJ, people can’t follow the narrative at all, and consequently just project whatever they want onto the film. So here, out of the mess, they picked up on the word “salt” and took it as a reference to the slang for being upset by videogames. So now the movie is about videogames.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 27, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

No it's because it's the film going HAHA our battle of rebels against imperial walkers on a completely white background isn't on a SNOW planet therefore this isn't a complete rip off of Empire.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Henceforth, every new setting in Star Wars will be introduced with someone eating the scenery to establish what it tastes like.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
I hate sand.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Was the old EU like this

Boba Fett canonically fell into the Sarlacc Pit twice

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Rochallor posted:

Boba Fett canonically fell into the Sarlacc Pit twice

that's good though

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

In the old EU, Han Solo won a planet while gambling. He then kidnapped Leia and took her there to “court” her. This is in the book called The Courtship of Princess Leia.

Luke trained a new Jedi who was turned to the Dark Side by the ghost of an ancient Sith. This newly turned dark side apprentice stole a literally invincible starship that could destroy entire solar systems. Which he used to kill billions. But he felt bad about it later, so he was forgiven, and allowed to be a Jedi and serve in the New Republic. I’m pretty sure Luke and his other apprentices prayed the Sith ghost away, but I can’t remember for sure.

There was a Super Star Destroyer hidden underground in Coruscant, and it was risen to the surface by a woman who rose to the top of the Empire by sleeping with Tarkin. This woman would become head of The Empire, and later The New Republic.

Luke fell in love with a ghost Jedi trapped in the computer of starship. She got a new body. Then they broke up. I honestly don’t remember what happened to her after that.

Leia was almost raped by a green skinned alien who gives off pheromones and wears see through clothes, and has an assassin sexbot.

Almost everything I just said occurred before The New Jedi Order, after which things got really loving weird.

The new EU sucks in a lot of ways. But so did the old one. Let’s not pretend otherwise.

Even I’ll admit that medal poo poo is really really dumb, though. Where is that actually from?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
"It's salt" was intended to, along with "Everything you just said is wrong", be made into hella sweet reaction gifs to own people on Twitter and Tumblr. Don't forget how terminally online Johnson is.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

THe o ld EU at least wasn't being made up to rationalize poorly explained or visually confusing nonsense in the movies. These explanations aren't even an EU, they're just a lovely webcomic writer going "nuh-uh, that not what happened at all, it actually makes perfect sense". It's hoenstly not a dyanmic I though i'd see out of serialized web content.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The last Jedi is clearly the third best stars wars movie m. It’s so good.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

no way does it beat phantom menace

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It depends if you think the Spielbergian pacing of ep 1 is a detriment

If you don’t then last Jedi is 4th best easy

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I know that money is the ultimate motivation but the old EU was also motivated by the apparent fact that there were no plans for more movies and people were invested in seeing what happened to the classic characters. Now you've got a steady stream of high budget film/tv content coming out forever and also no one cares about the new characters.

The old EU was super mixed quality and was way more boxed in than the ST (in that they couldn't do anything too terribly game-changing to the classic characters). BUT people still had interest in seeing how Luke rebuilt the Jedi, how the Empire was mopped up. I just can't bring myself to believe that anyone cares what Rey is going to do or how the galaxy rebuilds. Not even ROS was interested in leaving the door open - they sent Rey back home and had the Sheev Ships blow up from kill the queen kill the colony logic

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ingmar terdman posted:

The old EU was super mixed quality

wrong. it was all good.

:colbert:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNss5RWD6mY

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Ingmar terdman posted:

The old EU was super mixed quality and was way more boxed in than the ST (in that they couldn't do anything too terribly game-changing to the classic characters). BUT people still had interest in seeing how Luke rebuilt the Jedi, how the Empire was mopped up.

From what I've seen of the new EU, yeah, the random noise in quality level has basically been compressed. There's nothing absolutely terrible like the Sun Crusher or the Bounty Hunter Wars, but also nothing to make you say, "poo poo this is actually pretty good" like Wraith Squadron.

Horizon Burning posted:

"It's salt" was intended to, along with "Everything you just said is wrong", be made into hella sweet reaction gifs to own people on Twitter and Tumblr. Don't forget how terminally online Johnson is.

This is QAnon level reasoning.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

euphronius posted:

finally someone else sees the light

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It really shouldn't be surprising that blockbuster movies are deliberately trying to create hella memes for free advertising on the internet, it's only the natural progression from whedon quiporama.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
nah i'm pretty sure the salt line was in reaction to people saying tfa was just a rehash of new hope

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Rochallor posted:

People were posting them as camripped reaction gifs the first week TLJ released lmao

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Elfgames posted:

nah i'm pretty sure the salt line was in reaction to people saying tfa was just a rehash of new hope

But wouldn't a better option be to have a planet that is nothing like Hoth, or structuring a movie so it isn't just ESB (with a dash of RotJ)? I mean TLJ zigs where they zag, but it still has similar structure.

People wouldn't have a leg to stand on then, just doing what looks a lot like the battle of Hoth, but it's salt not ice, doesn't really cut it. I mean, in TFA it was a death star planet, not a death star space station but that distinction doesn't stop it being the exact same movie.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Horizon Burning posted:

People were posting them as camripped reaction gifs the first week TLJ released lmao

So? That doesn't mean the director is acting in conspiracy to deliver blows to his political rivals. It means people who make gifs saw a scene with the word salt in it. And as long as we're speaking anecdotally, I've never seen the gif being used.

garycoleisgod posted:

But wouldn't a better option be to have a planet that is nothing like Hoth, or structuring a movie so it isn't just ESB (with a dash of RotJ)? I mean TLJ zigs where they zag, but it still has similar structure.

People wouldn't have a leg to stand on then, just doing what looks a lot like the battle of Hoth, but it's salt not ice, doesn't really cut it. I mean, in TFA it was a death star planet, not a death star space station but that distinction doesn't stop it being the exact same movie.

Having a salt planet is an incredibly cool idea that's totally justified by the visuals. It's an unnecessary battle at the end of a too-long movie, but in isolation it looks great. It just didn't need to be a direct retread of Hoth.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Rochallor posted:

But it's literally what happened lol

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Rochallor posted:

Having a salt planet is an incredibly cool idea that's totally justified by the visuals. It's an unnecessary battle at the end of a too-long movie, but in isolation it looks great. It just didn't need to be a direct retread of Hoth.

But it was a direct retread of Hoth. It's like the difference between Jakku and Geonosis. Both are desert planets but Geonosis is obviously not Tatooine while Jakku obviously is. Sure Johnson could have made an interesting septic involving a planet with salt flats and crystals and poo poo, but he didn't. "It's Salt" only seven as an unconvincing justification that "No see my movie totally isn't just ripping off ESB. It's not snow despite acting in the exact same way and being visually identical!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!

Rochallor posted:

Palpatine didn't kill himself

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rochallor posted:

but also nothing to make you say, "poo poo this is actually pretty good" like Wraith Squadron.

Alphabet Squadron would like a word with you. The novels are a good idea executed well, and if you've spent any time with the X-Wing or TIE Fighter games, you know exactly what's going on at every moment of every space fight. I'm hoping for some Alphabet Squadron content for the starfighter game coming out in October, it'd make for good single-player DLC.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The Little Death posted:

THe o ld EU at least wasn't being made up to rationalize poorly explained or visually confusing nonsense in the movies.

A great deal of it was exactly that. That's why it gave us poo poo like Force Kick and light saber styles.

Ingmar terdman posted:

The old EU was super mixed quality and was way more boxed in than the ST (in that they couldn't do anything too terribly game-changing to the classic characters).

Yeah, look at how unambitious the Heir to the Empire trilogy was. Zahn seemed to be writing under a rule that nothing that happens in that trilogy could be bigger or more momentous that what happens in the movies.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I respect the Thrawn trilogy more for not trying to upstage the events of the OT, really.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

And he still had to reel himself in (Jorus Cboath was initially a mad clone of Obi). That being said I reread the Thrawn trilogy in the leadup to TFA (bc once that came out disney would come to everyones house to destroy their decanonized materials you see) and I was surprised at how well they mimicked the energy and pacing of the OT movies in book form

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PeterWeller posted:

A great deal of it was exactly that. That's why it gave us poo poo like Force Kick and light saber styles.

Nobody in the world was confused by those things.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

So it was pointless effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

PeterWeller posted:

So it was pointless effort.

It was, and it was needless nerd embellishing, but I still respect it more than saying "listen, Maz didn't steal a medal off Leia's corpse like we implied via visuals and dialogue. She just for no reason went to the intergalactic pawn shop where Han traded his missing brother-in-law's war memorabilia for drug money, and gave him that one instead." And releasing that explanation only after people reacted with "Maz steal from the dead".