Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Big thumbs up for the Ciaphas Cain trilogy audiobook. The multi cast reading is great, I love love love the way they did Sulla's excerpts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Oh god I could barely tolerate reading it how was it like in audio

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

I haven't read it yet because Deathwatch, but Requiem Infernal by Fehervai is supposedly approaching literature with good 40k horror, so check that out and report back and tell me to read it already.

Fehervari is my new fav BL author, Requiem Infernal is so good

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Has anyone read Praetorian of Dorn? I liked it, but I re-read it and I totally convinced myself that alpharius was using the psyker trick mentioned where his mind can get transferred into the bodies of his space marines, so that when they say they are alpharius, they actually could be. But then the last chapter threw that theory to the ground when Omegon notices he's alone after the one Alpharius died. But I like that he died by having a complicated plot to talk to one of the most intransigent primarchs. After reading Master of Mankind, I kind of wonder what would have happened if he went straight to the Empruh himself.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ardent Communist posted:

Has anyone read Praetorian of Dorn? I liked it, but I re-read it and I totally convinced myself that alpharius was using the psyker trick mentioned where his mind can get transferred into the bodies of his space marines, so that when they say they are alpharius, they actually could be. But then the last chapter threw that theory to the ground when Omegon notices he's alone after the one Alpharius died. But I like that he died by having a complicated plot to talk to one of the most intransigent primarchs. After reading Master of Mankind, I kind of wonder what would have happened if he went straight to the Empruh himself.
The way I interpret it is Alpharius's gambit is ultimately a really complicated suicide

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Finally got Saturnine and blasted through it. drat, it felt good after First Wall. I honestly thought it juggled the variation between the different battles well enough to avoid being stale and it really allowed the Primarchs to shine a bit. I love that we saw some humour from Dorn.

Although did anyone else find it a lttle off putting how easily Dorn seemed to essentially kill Fulgrim (until he regenerated as snakey boy)? Fulgrim is supposed to be one of the scariest fighters with 2 primarch kills under his belt (well, one now RG came back) but he seemed to be a foppish, whining baby getting beaten up by his big brother. I know he's distracted by his corruption and barely interested in the material world, but it didn't feel like Primarch vs Primarch. He was almost pre-corruption Lorgar level pushover

I also like what they did with the Ollinus Piers myth, although I'm still a bit confused. Is there a perpetual and a random guardsman with similar names? Or is he the Olly we've followed in the story?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

boredsatellite posted:

Oh god I could barely tolerate reading it how was it like in audio

I was with you, so what they did was have the woman who voiced the silent sister in Saturnine go full ham and it just works.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Dog_Meat posted:

Finally got Saturnine and blasted through it. drat, it felt good after First Wall. I honestly thought it juggled the variation between the different battles well enough to avoid being stale and it really allowed the Primarchs to shine a bit. I love that we saw some humour from Dorn.

Although did anyone else find it a lttle off putting how easily Dorn seemed to essentially kill Fulgrim (until he regenerated as snakey boy)? Fulgrim is supposed to be one of the scariest fighters with 2 primarch kills under his belt (well, one now RG came back) but he seemed to be a foppish, whining baby getting beaten up by his big brother. I know he's distracted by his corruption and barely interested in the material world, but it didn't feel like Primarch vs Primarch. He was almost pre-corruption Lorgar level pushover

I also like what they did with the Ollinus Piers myth, although I'm still a bit confused. Is there a perpetual and a random guardsman with similar names? Or is he the Olly we've followed in the story?

Fulgrim was transformed when he fought Guilliman. I don't think it was supposed to feel like a primarch fight because Fulgrim wouldn't have been manipulated by top knot and would have a been a harder fight for Dorn if he wasn't hopped up on space drugs and chaos. Snekgrim would probably killed Dorn too if he actually tried.

I think the Ollinus in Saturine was the perpetual's grandson. He end up in Terra way way early and settled down to wait. He'll still show up on the Vengeful Spirit somehow.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Dorn has also been shown to have some sort of ability to quell the warp around him, which may have also given him a fighting chance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dorn is so utterly single-minded it doesn't surprise me that the Warp can't really dig at him.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yey

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
For the Saturnine Ollanius questions:
Remember that Grammaticus said something about the method of getting to Terra allowing for vast changes in timing and location. Grenadier Piers remembers actual Mithric cults from the Roman era, dudes a perpetual.
Grammaticus and Ollanius were last seen hopping through spacetime trying to make it to Terra, though they were separated. This isn't their first trip "back to the future" in the HH series, and its kind of cool what the various authors have done with the characters, their unique perspective of time, and their movements.

Every indication, including how he talks about himself points to the fact that he ended up in the "past" and has lived his life as a grizzled Terran soldier through the latter parts of the crusade. His ability to see Jenita speaks to the Ollanius character's ability to see objects of faith that was brought up in Know No Fear and his side stories.

The Perpetual side stories have played fast and loose with time and continuity. Grammaticus and Pierson have overlapping "lived" experiences throughout this period.

Granted BL and GW have come out as strongly being anti-canon so there aren't hard and fast rules.
Any idea that Piers/Pierson are different people is supported neither by the text or the context. Its the same dude, he's not dead dead and I expect he, John and the other remainders of their kind are going to have a big part in the finale.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 25, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Immanentized posted:

For the Saturnine Ollanius questions:
Remember that Grammaticus said something about the method of getting to Terra allowing for vast changes in timing and location. Grenadier Piers remembers actual Mithric cults from the Roman era, dudes a perpetual.
Grammaticus and Ollanius were last seen hopping through spacetime trying to make it to Terra, though they were separated. This isn't their first trip "back to the future" in the HH series, and its kind of cool what the various authors have done with the characters, their unique perspective of time, and their movements.

Every indication, including how he talks about himself points to the fact that he ended up in the "past" and has lived his life as a grizzled Terran soldier through the latter parts of the crusade. His ability to see Jenita speaks to the Ollanius character's ability to see objects of faith that was brought up in Know No Fear and his side stories.

The Perpetual side stories have played fast and loose with time and continuity. Grammaticus and Pierson have overlapping "lived" experiences throughout this period.

Granted BL and GW have come out as strongly being anti-canon so there aren't hard and fast rules.
Any idea that Piers/Pierson are different people is supported neither by the text or the context. Its the same dude, he's not dead dead and I expect he, John and the other remainders of their kind are going to have a big part in the finale.

The Mythric cult points to him not being the perpetual. He talks about the cult being a recent history experience. He does mention it's probably older, but he is talking about a recent experience. It also doesn't make sense in that Pierson was hardcore catholic so why wouldn't he go with that? It can't be he is worried about the imperial truth since he is expressing belief in Mythrus. We see in his reaction when he meets her that he really believes in it and isn't just bullshitting the remembrancer. It doesn't make sense with anything we know about the perpetual.

quote:

‘In the Grenadiers, when I joined up,’ Piers said, ‘we had a confraternity. Just private, unofficial.’

‘Like a warrior lodge?’

‘No!’ Piers snapped. ‘Not like that Astartes bullshit. Just an association. We offered thanks, for surviving battles and such, to Mythrus. Some way she was a god. From a long, long time ago. A god who watched over warriors.’

‘She?’

‘I called her she. I call my weapon she.’ Piers patted the heavy caliver leaning against the rubble beside him. ‘I believe in Old Bess before anything else. Gender’s not the point here-‘

‘Gender is fluid?’

‘poo poo,’ Piers groaned, and shook his head wearily. ‘Let’s stick to one matter at a time. Your mind’s everywhere. Mythrus looked after us. I don’t know if she was a god, or used to be a god, or what. I don’t know if any of us even really thought she was a god. But it made us feel better. A little faith, see? To keep us warm through a cold night in the trench, to keep us safe in a firefight.’

He also doesn't talk at all like the perpetual we saw in the previous books. He doesn't really give any indication he is that person. If he is the perpetual then it appears he has somehow lost his memory, but being a perpetual I don't see how that is possible.

There is also this, which admittedly, could be a lie, but taken with the rest I don't think it is

quote:

‘No,’ said Hari. ‘Is it Oleander?’

Piers sagged and sighed. He muttered something.

‘What was that?’ asked Hari.

‘What did he say?’ asked Grosser.

‘I said, if you must know,’ said Piers, ‘it’s Ollanius.’

Grosser and Cavaner burst out laughing.

‘Oh my life!’ giggled Grosser. That’s an old fart’s name! A grandad’s name!’

‘It was me grandaddy’s, as it happens,’ Piers protested. ‘An old family name. A good Uplander name. Stop bloody laughing.’ He looked up at Hari. ‘Don’t bloody write it down, boy!’
[/spoiler]

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 25, 2020

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

right then fellow nerds, what sound I read next? Master of Mankind or Plague War?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Master of Mankind is definitely pretty good, but I haven't read Plague War. For those still keeping up, I ending up buying Tallarn and Requiem Infernal.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Arbite posted:

I was with you, so what they did was have the woman who voiced the silent sister in Saturnine go full ham and it just works.

Oh gently caress that sounds incredible

Also Plague War is pretty good

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I listened to the audiobook so im not quite sure, but was the unmarked legionary that qas guarding the perpetual lady a second (lost) legion warrior? his armor said 2LE or something to that effect

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Nuclear War posted:

I listened to the audiobook so im not quite sure, but was the unmarked legionary that qas guarding the perpetual lady a second (lost) legion warrior? his armor said 2LE or something to that effect

It was wishy washy as always, but didn't it imply he was a template of some kind for the astartes with no primarch bloodline? I never even registered the number being the same as a lost legion.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

He was a space marine whose geneseed was made from the Emperor's genes directly. One of the very first prototypes before the Primarchs were finished.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It would be fitting if the two lost legions and their accompanying primarchs were exterminated due to siding with pacifist mom.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So this isn't warhams (or even hams-adjacent) but (at least in :gop:land) Audible has Steven Fry reading Sherlock Holmes for free if anyone's looking for an intermezzo or some poo poo. BVMF used to read me these when I was an literal childe and I'd listen to Fry reading just about anything so it's "extremely my jam" (as the kids say these days).

:shrug:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have to say that Avenging Son is pretty good so far, but man did they get the wrong narrator for what is supposed to be the first book in a new Horus Heresy novel chain. His voices tend to make some characters sound like the urgently need to find a restroom, and Gulliman has the strangest voice choice.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

notaspy posted:

right then fellow nerds, what sound I read next? Master of Mankind or Plague War?

Plague war is poo poo except for maybe the parts with robottoman. Do yourself a favor and read anything by Abnett, ADB and Wraight first. Also Josh Reynolds.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Miguel Prado posted:

Plague war is poo poo except for maybe the parts with robottoman. Do yourself a favor and read anything by Abnett, ADB and Wraight first. Also Josh Reynolds.

And Peter Fehervari

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Nuclear War posted:

LE2 was the catalog number for the Limited Edition Space Marine way back in 1986 or so, the one that got redesigned and released in plastic a few years ago. It’s just a fun easter egg referring to a Space Marine that existed before everything else, much like the character.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

PantsOptional posted:

LE2 was the catalog number for the Limited Edition Space Marine way back in 1986 or so, the one that got redesigned and released in plastic a few years ago. It’s just a fun easter egg referring to a Space Marine that existed before everything else, much like the character.

Ngl, a little bit disappointed

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Improbable Lobster posted:

And Peter Fehervari

And Mike Brooks and Robert Rath

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Miguel Prado posted:

And Mike Brooks and Robert Rath

And John French (Horusian Wars specifically)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XAzZSqdJaw

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
So I decided to pick up the first Ciaphus Cain novel last week and blew through it in no time. I'm halfway through the second book now.

I'm liking it, it's a refreshing change and I like the charaters, the footnotes and the shift in narrative styles ("Purge the guilty - an impartial account" :D ). But I can see what people mean about the repetition. "I was going to do X... of course, had I known what was going to happen I wouldn't have done X".

I wasn't quite prepared for the number of pop culture references though. Aliens, Predator, Apocalypse Now, etc.
"There is a significant credit value attached to this installtion"
"If it bleeds we can kill it"
"I love the smell of promethium in the morning"

Still, WH40k was always a tongue in cheek homage and you can forgive it when you have Rambo running around and warboss Margaret Thatcher.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
They're very good for some lighthearted reading where I know that Cain is going to be kicking back and sipping tea at the end. I just wish Sandy Mitchell would understand that you get only one "comely" per novel. The second time you describe the same character as comely in a book you've already gone too far.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Guyver posted:

I think the Ollinus in Saturine was the perpetual's grandson. He end up in Terra way way early and settled down to wait. He'll still show up on the Vengeful Spirit somehow.

The source for the "Olly stands between Horus and the Emperor" story just happened. It will later be retold as happening on the Vengeful Spirit, but that story has been told. That was it, there won't be any more to it, stories get exaggerated as they get retold - especially if they turn into legends, and even more so if there needs to be a legend.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 29, 2020

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

mllaneza posted:

The source for the "Olly stands between Horus and the Emperor" story just happened. It will later be retold as happening on the Vengeful Spirit, but that story has been told. That was it, there won't be any more to it, stories get exaggerated as they get retold - especially if they turn into legends, and even more so if there needs to be a legend.
This would be more convincing if we weren't reading a story about literal gods and monsters.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think everyone's really mean to Sulla. She's not the greatest writer but, you know, it's a change of tone and that can be fun?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Schadenboner posted:

I think everyone's really mean to Sulla. She's not the greatest writer but, you know, it's a change of tone and that can be fun?

I think Sulla is a lot of fun. In her mind she's in a completely different story. A warrior of righteousness following the lead of a legendary unflappable hero (who is her mentor and not simply doing his best to put distance between them at every opportunity)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The thing I love about Eisenhorn as a narrator (I'm on Malleus right now) is the times when he's like "I managed to track him down. I won't explain how because it's boring Inquisitor stuff. Anyway so there I was, having found him..."

It's just so stupidly gruff and smug, I love it.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
He's just skipping the long and tedious grunt work that probably consists of like 99% of an Inquisitors life, but you never see it because its boring and tedious.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Klaus88 posted:

He's just skipping the long and tedious grunt work that probably consists of like 99% of an Inquisitors life, but you never see it because its boring and tedious.

Counterpoint: Missing In Action and Master Imus's Transgression are both e.deece?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Klaus88 posted:

Oh I know, that's what I'm saying. I'm not only glad he's doing that but it makes me laugh that he specifically calls out that he's skipping over that stuff in his telling of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SnakesRevenge posted:

I think Sulla is a lot of fun. In her mind she's in a completely different story. A warrior of righteousness following the lead of a legendary unflappable hero (who is her mentor and not simply doing his best to put distance between them at every opportunity)
What I love about it is that clearly he's both too much of a coward to tell her to gently caress off, and too much of a professional to not actually be mentoring her in exactly the way she thinks he is.