Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
lol, remember Wildstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I had fun with the trial but not enough to spend any money on it.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I would play emulator wildstar if such a thing existed but that's more curiosity because i've heard a wide variety of things about the game, running the whole spectrum between "this game is perfect" and "this game is literally an old, large poop"

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

The mutants who told you Wildstar is perfect must be reported to the government and placed in a steel box for their own good. They are dangers to themselves and others.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Did magic legends ever have a specific release date?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lampey posted:

Did magic legends ever have a specific release date?

Nah, its still a ways out. I have played the closed beta, and it was a bad game. Super generic, the card mechanic is weird and doesn't work for an action RPG, and it barely resembles Magic the Gathering.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Does anyone actually miss Wildstar? The most enjoyable thing about that game for me was watching the lovely, arrogant developers crash and burn.

i have one friend who cleared like all of the wildstar content and i'm pretty sure he misses it

Syrophenikan
Aug 17, 2010
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Nah, its still a ways out. I have played the closed beta, and it was a bad game. Super generic, the card mechanic is weird and doesn't work for an action RPG, and it barely resembles Magic the Gathering.

I liked the card mechanic because it was different and interesting...but that wore off after a few hours. It basically boils down to you not having all your abilities at one time, and your keybinds effectively change constantly. It needs to be completely reworked or scrapped, because holy poo poo I couldn't keep up and had to stare at my action bars to know what to do.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

blatman posted:

I would play emulator wildstar if such a thing existed but that's more curiosity because i've heard a wide variety of things about the game, running the whole spectrum between "this game is perfect" and "this game is literally an old, large poop"

https://github.com/NexusForever/NexusForever/

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

New World looks bad.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm genuinely surprised it came out

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdSxXjHtmRs

for those curious

looks like every other mediocre mmo.

Been playing a lot of planetside 2 again, I think that game is close to being a good mmo but it's definitely stagnated. I think the alerts honestly ruin interesting gameplay.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Does anyone actually miss Wildstar? The most enjoyable thing about that game for me was watching the lovely, arrogant developers crash and burn.

Healers had to aim their heals like skillshots and I thought that was cool and engaging. It made healing randoms harder and more frustrating, though. I enjoyed the medic class despite all the other issues with the game. I would actually like a game that isn't WoW but is basically about running heroic 5 mans from the Cataclysm era (the last time I played WoW, IDK if they made heroics hard again after that) and I can be a holy priest or one of the healers from Wildstar. GOt hosed up MMO taste.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdSxXjHtmRs

for those curious

looks like every other mediocre mmo.

Been playing a lot of planetside 2 again, I think that game is close to being a good mmo but it's definitely stagnated. I think the alerts honestly ruin interesting gameplay.

ps2 has surprisingly solid FPS fundamentals, but I don't feel as if the "massively" part was every leveraged for anything other than the spectacle of big fuckoff battles which were also the weakest part of the experience, gameplay-wise. But really the fact that SOE managed to make a decent multiplayer FPS is more than one could ask for in the first place.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game looks more like Elder Scrolls Online to me now. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but its completely different from what was originally talked about.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Holy poo poo new world looks aggressively boring

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I feel like I'm on drugs because I thought New World looked decidedly "okay" when the rest of the internet is dunking on it

Maybe it's because I tried out Crowfall recently and that was a huge pile of poo poo.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Rexicon1 posted:

I just skipped around that entire video; his gear never changes. Maybe some stats go up, but he looks the exact same for four hours of footage.

E:

Guess I'm blind. But that ridiculous hammer and shield obscures so much that it tricked me into thinking it didn't change at all, which his clothes do.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

THE BAR posted:

I just skipped around that entire video; his gear never changes. Maybe some stats go up, but he looks the exact same for four hours of footage.

E:

Guess I'm blind. But that ridiculous hammer and shield obscures so much that it tricked me into thinking it didn't change at all, which his clothes do.

The hammer animations are ripped straight out of GuildWars 2.

Seriously, it's almost to much, they only reason it's not a rip-off, is because the animations are worse.

Also, that hammer looks unbelievably stupid.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I feel like I'm on drugs because I thought New World looked decidedly "okay" when the rest of the internet is dunking on it

Maybe it's because I tried out Crowfall recently and that was a huge pile of poo poo.

They're dunking on it because it looks just okay. "WoW but better graphics" doesn't cut it.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Randomly thinking about the time when Lineage 2 originally came to the west, not too long after the Lord of the Rings movies came out, and there where just dozens of elf archers named variations of Legolas everywhere

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

They had a vision for new world, which was ripped out during the reboot when management obviously told the devs to "just do what other succesful MMO's do" so now its some lumbering monstrosity of stitched together concepts of different MMO's. I mean I see the overall world design of wow, the combat from ESO/GW2, the loot from Destiny 2, the hilarious oversized weapons from Monster hunter world.. their next step is probably to add in anime cat girls from FF14.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Baller Time posted:

Randomly thinking about the time when Lineage 2 originally came to the west, not too long after the Lord of the Rings movies came out, and there where just dozens of elf archers named variations of Legolas everywhere

Now when a new MMO releases its full of people with variations of Game of Thrones character names. Its interesting how times change.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
New World was not great when I played it a few months ago because the actual gameplay loop was super barebones and combat seems like it had not been completely fleshed out. They could turn it into a good game from what I played but chances are they won’t, I fully expect it to be bad and if they released it today as is it would be real bad. Every post I read in these forums making GBS threads on it is like someone read an article written by a guy who watched some YouTube videos made by one of those whiny gamer channels and now you’re here to give your own hot take. The complaints are more generic than the gameplay what the gently caress are you guys talking about? World design of wow? Loot of destiny 2? What?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Now when a new MMO releases its full of people with variations of Game of Thrones character names. Its interesting how times change.

In FFXIV the franchise I see from the most is Naruto

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Foolish video game people picking names that already exist. They don't even know about DnD's naming conventions for the various races that you can gently caress around with.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just lol if all your dudes don't have Simpson's names

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
just lol that we never got a simpsons mmo

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

in world of Simpsons the best gear feels like I'm wearing nothing at all

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I enjoyed EQ2 PvP a lot, it's still the only MMOG PvP i've played where they allowed tanks to actually taunt.
A real group working together did super well and that was interesting to me!

Also since it was all world PvP it meant you got to know people and for me killing orgetorix the french ogre monk who logs out whenever he's losing is way more interesting than just another generic person in a battleground.

Having non-mirrored factions was cool too although since PvP was a small part of the game it wasn't hugely balanced.

Back in UO everyone was Drizzt or Gandalf
That said in FF14 I don't see many GoT names. A few, but it's definitely way rarer than drizzt was!

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 28, 2020

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

You know nothing, J0n_Sn0w_04!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Taear posted:

I enjoyed EQ2 PvP a lot, it's still the only MMOG PvP i've played where they allowed tanks to actually taunt.
A real group working together did super well and that was interesting to me!

Also since it was all world PvP it meant you got to know people and for me killing orgetorix the french ogre monk who logs out whenever he's losing is way more interesting than just another generic person in a battleground.

Having non-mirrored factions was cool too although since PvP was a small part of the game it wasn't hugely balanced.

Back in UO everyone was Drizzt or Gandalf
That said in FF14 I don't see many GoT names. A few, but it's definitely way rarer than drizzt was!

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/community/search/?q=Uchiha+Legolas

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

I am just reminding myself that New World has another 9 months of development left. I really want this to be a good game, but I still have a lot of doubt. What I am really excited for from Amazon Game Studio this year, is that they are bringing Lost ARK Online to America later this year.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I am just reminding myself that New World has another 9 months of development left. I really want this to be a good game, but I still have a lot of doubt. What I am really excited for from Amazon Game Studio this year, is that they are bringing Lost ARK Online to America later this year.

Gimme dat lost ark. Can’t wait for boat gacha.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Freakazoid_ posted:

just lol that we never got a simpsons mmo

i swear if this loving bart keeps standing in the fire

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

I said come in! posted:

how can you still be this naive after having witnessed dozens of mmo's be uninspired schlock from internal alphas all the way through to release?

also "this game just looks mediocre, not horrible" is not a good defense

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

how can you still be this naive after having witnessed dozens of mmo's be uninspired schlock from internal alphas all the way through to release?

also "this game just looks mediocre, not horrible" is not a good defense

Well there has to be a good MMO that comes out at some point, right?

Right??

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the only good mmo was Toon Town

fun Toon Town fact: jamie christopherson was one of the composers who wrote its OST, and he would later go on to compose for the pirates of the carribean mmo and metal gear rising: revengeance

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am shocked, shocked I say that I am having fun and enjoying myself playing the Ascension private server of WoW. Years of not having fun in any MMO and then this stupid hacked together thing reveals itself as the only good MMO that isn’t FFXIV. Moola made a thread about it in the WoW subforum if y’all wanna give it a go. It’s an excellent way to lose a day or two.

WOTLK was so close to being a good MMO apparently. Blows my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

I checked this out, there's not much to it other than character creation, spawning items, and housing (so it's good to go for dress-up). It did make me remember the absolute ridiculousness of the granok and drakken female models, though.