Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I don't think DCUniverse is anywhere close to complete enough for that kind of thing.

I seem to recall that when the comics content was expanded a while after launch they said that, other than the newest releases (last year?), everything that DC had digitized was available on DCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

The existence of three Jokers on Earth-1 (mainline DC is Earth-1 right?) implies the existence of three Jokesters on Earth-3 (that's the Crime Syndicate Earth, right?).

Make the three Jokesters, Coward Geoff Johns

Mainline Earth is Earth-Prime or Earth-0, interchangeably. Earth-1 is specifically the Earth where the Earth-1 series of books takes place

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

I seem to recall that when the comics content was expanded a while after launch they said that, other than the newest releases (last year?), everything that DC had digitized was available on DCU.

That's still gonna have a lot of gaps in it for a company that's been publishing books for almost 90 years. Marvel still doesn't have all their X-Men related stuff on their service and their weren't multiple X-books until the mid 80s. Batman's had multiple books since the 40s or 50s.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

catlord posted:

I feel like Johns felt like he hadn't left a big enough mark on the history of DC and this is one of his attempts to cement a legacy. Mind you, if that's accurate I feel like he's seriously underestimating his influence, we're going to be living with his decisions for a long time.

Yeah. He wants a Crisis on Infinite Earths and keeps making Zero Hours.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. He wants a Crisis on Infinite Earths and keeps making Zero Hours.

At least Zero Hour created great tie-in issues!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

If this actually happens I'm going to find you and set you on fire, because either you somehow willed it into existence or can predict the future and either way it means you're a witch.

Maybe they are Geoff Johns

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Barry Convex posted:

The original plans, based on the art from DC Rebirth and/or Justice League #50, clearly had the three Jokers as being original, Bolland/TKJ, and Snyder/Capullo “modern,” which would have made far more sense, but... as with Doomsday Clock, a lot of circa-2016 plans fell through
Sitting here trying to decide if today's YT episode will be me blowing the lid wide open on The THREE JOKERS being a Father/Son/Holy Spirit thing or if there are FOUR JOKERS and the Bossman is actually Immortal Undercut Joker.

catlord posted:

I feel like Doomsday Clock and Three Jokers are two dumb ideas that didn't have the decency to come out in a timely manner and instead just sat around stinking up the joint.
Yeah.
Doomsday Clock couldn't even get Doc's powerset right. But the constant delays just push both series out of any sort of relevance.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Sitting here trying to decide if today's YT episode will be me blowing the lid wide open on The THREE JOKERS being a Father/Son/Holy Spirit thing or if there are FOUR JOKERS and the Bossman is actually Immortal Undercut Joker.

The latter seems like the case to me and it honestly could've been a really interesting plotline where the Joker is dunking people in chemicals and brainwashing them to think they're him and watching what happens and nudging things as necessary to maximize the chaos.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe they are Geoff Johns

Fire still seems like the best solution.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

*throws his trench coat open and places his hand on his katana* "Ah, you see... It is I... The Fourth Joker..."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Jokers from infinite timelines unite against the Legion of Bats in a miniseries event that will shake the very foundations of the Dark Knight and change the face of Gotham City forever. What sinister tricks does the Clown Prince of Crime Time have in store for Batman? And is the strange Knight Jester an ultimate friend or foe?

Find out in 2022's epic, GALLOWS HUMOR

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Jokers from infinite timelines unite against the Legion of Bats in a miniseries event that will shake the very foundations of the Dark Knight and change the face of Gotham City forever. What sinister tricks does the Clown Prince of Crime Time have in store for Batman? And is the strange Knight Jester an ultimate friend or foe?

I hate how plausible this sounds and how much more interesting this seems than Death Metal.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

And how does this all fit into the plans of the Batman Who Laughs?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sitting at the comic store, and it’s amazing seeing how many people are buying all five covers of Three Jokers. That, and someone just spent two and a half grand on 70’s and 80’s Marvel books.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Space Fish posted:

If you are referring to Super Sons and Adventure of the Super Sons, you are correct, they rule.
Oh good. Thanks man.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Sitting at the comic store, and it’s amazing seeing how many people are buying all five covers of Three Jokers. That, and someone just spent two and a half grand on 70’s and 80’s Marvel books.

Two and a half grand? So X-men wise that is the start of the "New X-Men" to Genosha and the launch of the renumbered books right? Blue and Gold teams? God I wish I didn't know that just offhand. But I don't know that all that X-Men would be 2 grand plus. Iron Man? Armour wars was fun but don't see it costing. Avengers? Thor? Death of the Executioner was metal as gently caress but still not pricey. Tell me someone bought ten thousand copies that series starring the super Trucker or the NFL superhero.

All you guys talking about the Three Jokers now has me slightly intrigued. Still irritated they killed Suicide Squad as that would have been an easy sell for me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Codependent Poster posted:

And how does this all fit into the plans of the Batman Who Laughs?
BWL is largely nerfed after the Perpetua Wars. But a sliver of his being gets subsumed into the creature known as Infinite Jest, who is able to rise to power after Jack Napier (Japes, or Jack'Nape on his home dimension) betrays the Batman Brigade of Earth Tomorrow.

There's a wonderful chapter where the Batman Of Gay Earth, the Knight Fantastic, fights against his mortal foe, the silverhaired Joe Straight, only to come to a mutual understanding.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

Can I report this?

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

The biggest thing that bugged me about Three Jokers, and perhaps it's a petty thing to get hung up on, is that if we have to see the death of the Waynes one more time... why retcon/overwrite the final page of Batman RIP? (Where we find out what inspired "Zur en Arrh") I wouldn't care so much, but I can guarantee I'll continue to re-read Morrison's run far more often in the coming years than anything Johns has ever done with the character.

His characterizations of Barbara/Jason were pretty solid, I have to give him that. I just wish the characters had more to work with than just flashbacks. And Peter J. Tomasi has done equally strong character work before, yet he still doesn't seem to have the same clout as Johns. I really enjoyed when Tomasi was writing Guy Gardner in Green Lantern Corps a long time back.

Is the Three Jokers batsuit supposed to be the same one introduced in Batman Incorporated? If I'm remembering correctly, that's where the chest-mounted bat-floodlight originated?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

:perfect:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Tossing in my dumb bet: there’s a fourth Joker, and he vaguely resembles Heath Ledger’s portrayal

E: this is an elseworld title, introducing us to Earth- clown car

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 27, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

I saw my old boss recently and he sas that vintage books are booming. They're pondering opening a third store, business is that good.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

DogsInSpace! posted:

Thank you sir. I'd like to support cool people. As long as they don't mind shipping way out west then I am good.

They've been shipping to me in BC for fifteen years (crazy it's been that long since I started reading comics again). They are cool people and will treat you right.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just realized Lucifer was also cancelled. Was it any good? I was trying to get into the Sandman Universe books and that one and Hellblazer were the ones I was actually interested in reading.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rhyno posted:

I saw my old boss recently and he sas that vintage books are booming. They're pondering opening a third store, business is that good.

This sounds like a tangentially good sign for the continued survival of DC Universe's comics arm.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

radlum posted:

I just realized Lucifer was also cancelled. Was it any good? I was trying to get into the Sandman Universe books and that one and Hellblazer were the ones I was actually interested in reading.

I'm curious about that one too, I read the whole Mike Carey series years ago, but haven't read any of the newer stuff under that title.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Aww, I quite like (liked :sweatdrop:) Lucifer. The first arc was kinda compact with like, some weird thing about him being trapped in some dimension he made because of Reasons, but even with all that it had a really fascinating dynamic with a ton of gallows humor.

It's been interesting to see the character of Lucifer shift and evolve up until now, from Gaiman to Carey to Holly Black and now to Dan Watters. All these previous Lucifers were kinda prideful dicks, but there was a sense of bitter humility to their personalities as well. The way that Watters writes Lucifer is more like...he actually is, deep down, a genuinely flawed, toxic individual who brings bad things to people around him, and is quick to shirk his responsibilities or pin the blame on others instead of owning up to anything. With the other Lucifers it's like...when people call him evil, we understand that they don't really quite understand him and that there's really not such an easy concept as true good guys or true bad guys in this narrative. But when people call this latest Lucifer evil, it's...well, it's a bit more understandable. We can kinda see where they're coming from.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The Mike Carey Lucifer book is probably my favorite comic ever. Deep down it is all about what if someone was totally dedicated to a goal and would do anything to achieve it. Even though they do a pretty good job making him likeable and sympathetic, with pretty reasonable motivations, everyone is ultimately a tool and the book doesn't shy away from that either. One of the final things that happens is a character forcing him to confront that what other people want matters and it really works.

Also huge shout out to my boy Remiel, great character.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Darkest metal nightmare 2, metal harder would have been fine if it was like a 4 issue deal or something, but apparently it's dragging out until october and good grief i'm so sick of the extra goth jokbats running around. For someone who's supposed to be the combination of Joker and batman it still only feels like a different joker, and he's far overstayed his welcome

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The silliest part of the Batman Who Laughs is that he still doesn't have superpowers, but he also never does cool martial arts stuff or uses gadgets. He just ambiguously Wins and throws poisoned batarangs at people.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Android Blues posted:

The silliest part of the Batman Who Laughs is that he still doesn't have superpowers, but he also never does cool martial arts stuff or uses gadgets. He just ambiguously Wins and throws poisoned batarangs at people.

That absolutely fits a Batman/Joker combination.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

McCloud posted:

Darkest metal nightmare 2, metal harder would have been fine if it was like a 4 issue deal or something, but apparently it's dragging out until october and good grief i'm so sick of the extra goth jokbats running around. For someone who's supposed to be the combination of Joker and batman it still only feels like a different joker, and he's far overstayed his welcome

October? Final issue drops in January...

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Laughing Zealot posted:

:discourse:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I feel like everything after the Shark in Three Jokers was good. Seems like the only time since Under the Red Hood that Jason's character makes any sense and isn't just an annoying headache with daddy issues.

I guess "best Jason Todd character development" isn't a high bar to clear but it's something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I feel like everything after the Shark in Three Jokers was good. Seems like the only time since Under the Red Hood that Jason's character makes any sense and isn't just an annoying headache with daddy issues.

I guess "best Jason Todd character development" isn't a high bar to clear but it's something.

Good thing Dark Titties Anime isn't here anymore to hear that.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Laughing Zealot posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I didn't know when it was gonna be over and just guessed. Clearly I undershot..

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Hey don't worry, if you want a Jason Todd classic story, there's always the Red Hood crossover with Joker War
he blows up a building and kills a bunch of people and fails to actually do anything meaningful other than get beat up by the new character they're pushing and Dicky Boy

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I read the first issue of Three Jokers and the only feeling I came away with was how gross it is that they repeatedly fetishize/sexualize Barbara’s bullet wound/injury.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

catlord posted:

I feel like Johns felt like he hadn't left a big enough mark on the history of DC and this is one of his attempts to cement a legacy. Mind you, if that's accurate I feel like he's seriously underestimating his influence, we're going to be living with his decisions for a long time.

I feel like Doomsday Clock and Three Jokers are two dumb ideas that didn't have the decency to come out in a timely manner and instead just sat around stinking up the joint. DC's been teasing Three Jokers for loving ages and I just cannot possibly care. Just get it out your system, guys, at least Doomsday Clock ended, even if it took an extra loving year.

Doomsday Clock was Johns best DC work IMO. I loved how he incorporated stuff from ostranders suicide squad and reincorporated a lot of forgotten DC lore. I also like that it was self contained and didn’t have a 100 different “must read” tie ins and had a definitive ending unlike Stuff like Infinite crisis and blackest night.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
:bignews: Drake is back to being Robin! :bignews:

After Damien threw away the identity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

:bignews: Drake is back to being Robin! :bignews:

After Damien threw away the identity