Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ham radio good poo poo, i like niles killing everyone at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cosmik Slop posted:

It strikes me that there is no way in hell there would have been a British show with young girls called "Mind Your Knickers". I think Daphne might be a compulsive liar.

Like half the fun of being a foreigner with Americans is telling them all kinds of random silly poo poo and they believe all of it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like half the fun of being a foreigner with Americans is telling them all kinds of random silly poo poo and they believe all of it

It's universal. Down in the beach areas of southern Delaware the locals might tell you to order a special, amazing local cocktail called a "Tidal Wave". If you ask a bartender for a Tidal Wave they'll pour a glass of water and throw it in your face. Same idea.

Evan Jellicle
Apr 20, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's universal. Down in the beach areas of southern Delaware the locals might tell you to order a special, amazing local cocktail called a "Tidal Wave". If you ask a bartender for a Tidal Wave they'll pour a glass of water and throw it in your face. Same idea.

Hey there fellow slower lower goon

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Ah, Delaware. Truly the most magical of states.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Sagacity posted:

Ah, Delaware. Truly the most magical of states.
Imagine Frasier and Niles being served scrapple or having to order lunch at WaWa. Marty would fall in love with Old Bay Seasoning and put it on everything, claiming it makes everything taste like crab.

Daphne would become obsessed with eating pizza from Grotto, claiming the intertwined spirals of sauce and cheese represent the dual nature of the galaxy or some poo poo which boosts her psychic powers. Roz would become sexually frustrated at the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk because there are no hot men, only endless fat sunburnt redneck dads.

Eddie picks a fight with a horseshoe crab but becomes best friends with it until the seagulls come.

sudonim fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 28, 2020

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Marty wins a free boat trip on what Niles assumes to be a luxury yacht. He tags along with Martin for a day trip that turns out to be on a trawler. Martin falls overboard and, atlhough the fishermen manage to bring him back aboard, it is up to Niles to revive him, allowing them to bond. Frasier, meanwhile, feuds with a seaside cartoonist that accentuated the wrong parts of his face.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If the Crane boys went to Rehoboth there would definitely be some gay jokes. Tasteful ones, not Friends level! Probably something about Roz (who is along for some reason) finding this amazing bar full of hot guys and getting a surprise.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If the Crane boys went to Rehoboth there would definitely be some gay jokes. Tasteful ones, not Friends level! Probably something about Roz (who is along for some reason) finding this amazing bar full of hot guys and getting a surprise.

Honey, it would be the hot guys getting a surprise :hmmyes:

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

KoRMaK posted:

ham radio good poo poo, i like niles killing everyone at the end

If you like niles killing everyone, boy have i got the weekend watch for you

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1334553/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's such a good movie.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

His outer limits episode is a lot of fun too.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Cosmik Slop posted:

It strikes me that there is no way in hell there would have been a British show with young girls called "Mind Your Knickers". I think Daphne might be a compulsive liar.

This could be a reference to the actress having made a couple of appearances in her underwear on The Benny Hill Show. Mr Hill was a womaniser both in character and in real life, and his show had many skits where he chased young women with view to getting their knickers off.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Watching Brooklyn 99 and Julia Sweeney is in an episode. I still hate her from being Ann Hodges. Her awfulness was only eclipsed by Daphne's family

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I googled Julia Sweeney because I couldn't remember who she was, and it lead me down a rabbit hole on the SNL sketch "It's Pat." What the actual gently caress was that? Something like a dozen sketches and a loving MOVIE all hinging on the idea "Isn't it funny that sometimes you can't tell if someone's male or female?" And by the way, no, it isn't funny. What the gently caress is wrong with anyone who'd think that?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Sunswipe posted:

I googled Julia Sweeney because I couldn't remember who she was, and it lead me down a rabbit hole on the SNL sketch "It's Pat." What the actual gently caress was that? Something like a dozen sketches and a loving MOVIE all hinging on the idea "Isn't it funny that sometimes you can't tell if someone's male or female?" And by the way, no, it isn't funny. What the gently caress is wrong with anyone who'd think that?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/its_pat

Who would’ve thought a 30 second joke stretched out to feature length wouldn’t be much of a hit?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
According to Chris Farley, Pat is a woman

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
SNL had a bunch of one-note movies. Some of them were ok (Coneheads? Blues Bros? Wayne's World?) And a bunch that just.... why.

Sunswipe posted:

And by the way, no, it isn't funny. What the gently caress is wrong with anyone who'd think that?
Late 80s/early 90s dealing with the unresolved baggage that androgyny revealed in the culture and also looked homophobia.

"omg is it a he or a her?!?"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 31, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was seeing people try to navigate a potentially embarrassing social situation. That's the joke.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

BigBadSteve posted:

This could be a reference to the actress having made a couple of appearances in her underwear on The Benny Hill Show. Mr Hill was a womaniser both in character and in real life, and his show had many skits where he chased young women with view to getting their knickers off.

I think it's more a case of the writers not quite understanding British slang. The whole gag was that Daphne had been one of a group of child stars on a show that in the US would be called "Mind Your Panties" and I reeeeally doubt they'd be making that show in the 70s (or ever).

(Daphne gets a lot of these clunker lines throughout the series. There's one episode where she calls an umbrella a "bumbershoot", which was never British slang for an umbrella. It was only ever something US authors claimed British people called it. Or when she says "someone's going to get a little spank on his fanny", which is UK slang for vagina).

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

"omg is it a he or a her?!?"

For a good time, try to remember the ending twist of Ace Ventura

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cosmik Slop posted:

I think it's more a case of the writers not quite understanding British slang. The whole gag was that Daphne had been one of a group of child stars on a show that in the US would be called "Mind Your Panties" and I reeeeally doubt they'd be making that show in the 70s (or ever).

(Daphne gets a lot of these clunker lines throughout the series. There's one episode where she calls an umbrella a "bumbershoot", which was never British slang for an umbrella. It was only ever something US authors claimed British people called it. Or when she says "someone's going to get a little spank on his fanny", which is UK slang for vagina).

Though the real story may be that she was almost definitely molested on set by an inexplicably beloved media celebrity

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Misses & myself had a hotel room last night. Do what you normally do when you get a room, then we both head out. She's gone with her girlfriends for one of their birthdays. I go to the pub but come back early. Get comfortable and sit on the bed to watch some TV. I notice the bed is made. Wait a second, we didn't leave til like 8, why would a cleaner come in that late? They didn't. We didn't even wrinkle the sheets

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

codo27 posted:

Misses & myself had a hotel room last night. Do what you normally do when you get a room, then we both head out. She's gone with her girlfriends for one of their birthdays. I go to the pub but come back early. Get comfortable and sit on the bed to watch some TV. I notice the bed is made. Wait a second, we didn't leave til like 8, why would a cleaner come in that late? They didn't. We didn't even wrinkle the sheets

sir, this is a frasier thread

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

codo27 posted:

Misses & myself had a hotel room last night. Do what you normally do when you get a room, then we both head out. [/i]
Cocaine and a rump?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Eggs Benedict (once annually)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Eggs Benedict (once annually)

Ugh that episode

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

Ugh that episode

Okaay.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

codo27 posted:

We didn't even wrinkle the sheets
Ah, the ol Niles Crane.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

codo27 posted:

Misses & myself had a hotel room last night. Do what you normally do when you get a room, then we both head out. We didn't even wrinkle the sheets

this isn't how to brag about sex-having in the Frasier thread. Needs to be something like "I carried her bags to the room, but counter to convention, it was I who gave her the tip!" while wearing an annoyingly smug grin and being too pleased with yourself.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
All she needs is the right Henry Higgins and she'll be ready for a ball in no time :mrapig:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACXTtkwK7xg

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

I am sure this makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bUV9PJfbJ0

For someone.

Somewhere.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The episode where Frasier and Niles try to bring an old Shakespeare actor from their youth back to the stage is great. The Shakespeare dude absolutely steals the show.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

oldpainless posted:

The episode where Frasier and Niles try to bring an old Shakespeare actor from their youth back to the stage is great. The Shakespeare dude absolutely steals the show.

UNNNNNNNGGGHHHHHH

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

oldpainless posted:

"The Shakespeare dude" is legendary theatre, film and television actor Derek Jacobi, thank you very much, and he won an Emmy for that episode. :colbert:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Timby posted:

"The Shakespeare dude" is legendary theatre, film and television actor Derek Jacobi, thank you very much, and he won an Emmy for that episode. :colbert:

Spot on, that is a great impression of the shakespearean dude

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/GoodPostReilly/status/1310753917794480128?s=20

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Heard a joke once.

Man phones psychiatrist
Says he hears the blues a callin'
Says he don't know what to do with
those tossed salad and scrambled eggs.
Doctor says treatment is simple -
Chez Henri serves a delightful and similar dish
try copying that - that ought to pick you up.
The caller cries"but Doc, I am Henri!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

We took a Frasier break, but started again. Just bought season 4, which means we now own all the Frasiers.