Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will LiS2 feature more dead/deabeat parents than LiS1/BTS?
Yes
No
Paul Zuvella, what you are asking it literally not possible.
View Results

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think the lack of discussion stemmed from the game being kind of polarizing among the fanbase (some people liked it, some people hated it) and the fact that the story didn’t really give us a lot to talk about the way the previous two games did.

Honestly the only real mystery was what happened to their mom as I think we all knew Daniel’s powers would go as unexplained as Max’s were in the first game (I guess in this universe either mutants exist or traumatic events have a 50/50 chance of giving you superpowers). Also, personally I think crossing the border at the end gives you a better ending regardless of how you raised Daniel as opposed to surrendering.

I personally liked the game but wasn’t really a big fan of the revolving door of supporting cast members. I’d much prefer if the next game was a bit more focused on a single location like the Arcadia Bay duology was (I’d still be fine with switching to a new cast and setting again though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I really really really liked the scene between Sean and his mom at the motel

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I really really really liked the scene between Sean and his mom at the motel

I honestly liked Karen in general a lot more than I was expecting to and would actually play a side game starring her (Lyla, Cassidy, and Chris could also make for decent protagonists).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 25, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Someone rename this thread to Tell Me Why Life is Strange, Too!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Someone rename this thread to Tell Me Why Life is Strange, Too!

On the subject, should there be a designated Tell Me Why thread or should we just repurpose this one?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm a bit worried about Tell Me Why. The other non-LIS game I played was Vampyre and I thought it was absolutely garbage terrible. As far as I understand it, it was a different team than the LIS games. Worried about ending up with another Vampyre

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I'm a bit worried about Tell Me Why. The other non-LIS game I played was Vampyre and I thought it was absolutely garbage terrible. As far as I understand it, it was a different team than the LIS games. Worried about ending up with another Vampyre

The game looks sort of Life is Strange-esque from the trailer and the plot sounds kind of interesting. Also, Vampyr was a different kind of game while this is more of a narrative one. Granted it still might not turn out great but I’m hopeful at the moment. But yeah, aside from LiS DontNod doesn’t seem to have the best track record when it comes to games.

I really wish it would get ported over to PS4 eventually though.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Have Dontnod explained why the new game is conspicuously lacking a PS4 version? After all, both seasons of LiS and BtS were playable on that console so it seems distinctly non-awesomesauce that they've decided to leave PS4 owners out in the cold like this.

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 26, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eshettar posted:

Have Dontnod explained why the new game is conspicuously lacking a PS4 version? After all, both seasons of LiS and BtS were playable on that console so it seems distinctly non-awesomesauce that they've decided to leave PS4 owners out in the cold like this.

DontNod didn’t make BTS but I’m pretty sure their other non-LiS related games got PlayStation versions as well so yeah, I’m kind of curious why this one is suddenly Microsoft exclusive.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looking it up, apparently the game is being published by Microsoft themselves so that would explain why it’s Xbox/PC exclusive:

https://www.psu.com/news/is-tell-me-why-coming-to-ps5-and-ps4/

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Macaluso posted:

As far as I can tell the Game Director on Tell Me Why was the lead level designer for Vampyr and has credits on all of Dontnod's Life is Strange projects. Never had a lead role before. So it could go either way!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So has anyone tried out the first episode of Tell Me Why yet? If so, what do you think?

Also, should we bother making a thread for the game or just repurpose this one?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
its on pc game pass

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

So has anyone tried out the first episode of Tell Me Why yet? If so, what do you think?

Also, should we bother making a thread for the game or just repurpose this one?
i liked and agreed with most of this review: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y3z4vg/tell-me-why-smothers-its-representation-in-bubble-wrap

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not gonna lie, that doesn’t sound great. But maybe things will improve as it goes along.

Also, how exactly were they able to get all the episodes out so quickly this time (the release dates are only like a week or so apart)? Did they just write and program the whole game ahead of time or something?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Not gonna lie, that doesn’t sound great. But maybe things will improve as it goes along.

Also, how exactly were they able to get all the episodes out so quickly this time (the release dates are only like a week or so apart)? Did they just write and program the whole game ahead of time or something?

Might explain why is MS only, they got the cash to do it all at once, not have to leak it out piecemeal to keep the project funded.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Honestly, who the gently caress wants cis creators to be more daring with trans stories though? gently caress that. I'm glad they're scared and writing on egg shells.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
interesting critical concerns in this review. but i'm not sure the text can fully live up to them. the original life is strange, i'll admit, is subtly quite clever. there are tacit literary references to catcher in the rye (max caufield = holden caulfield). max's photography is something like a metaphor for her childish naivete; and her time travel powers are actually a sort of self-regression; an inability to accept the past. her teacher symbolizes this self-regression in a parallel way with his murderous fetish for 'freezing' life in its tracks. so max has to grow out of her childish fantasy of omnipotence--of being able to 'save' everyone--in order to grow. but i would still equate it most readily to a ya novel.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Really enjoyed the first Tell Me Why and am jazzed that it's coming out weekly. As the brother of a trans person I wished there was a little bit more guilt about accidental deadnaming and family tension etc but perhaps it's coming in future episodes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Really enjoyed the first Tell Me Why and am jazzed that it's coming out weekly. As the brother of a trans person I wished there was a little bit more guilt about accidental deadnaming and family tension etc but perhaps it's coming in future episodes.

Out of curiosity, what’s the actual gameplay like? Is it pretty similar to the Life is Strange series?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Honestly, who the gently caress wants cis creators to be more daring with trans stories though? gently caress that. I'm glad they're scared and writing on egg shells.
i do?

not 'daring' exactly but id rather they just relax and just have things be natural rather than putting out q&a pressers about how much bubble wrap things are in

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Given how trans identities are often used and exploited for cheap pathos, as you yourself pointed out with the inclusion of a character who gets deadnamed in TLOU2, and how quickly inaccuracies spread such as the misplaced pronoun usage in DP2, I think Dontnod did the responsible thing by being very cautious and very clear about what players should expect to see.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, what’s the actual gameplay like? Is it pretty similar to the Life is Strange series?

It's practically identical.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

It's practically identical.

Do you have a “power” of sorts? And if so, how does it work?

Also are there any kind of optional collectables like the photos/graffiti/souvenirs from the LiS series?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

Do you have a “power” of sorts? And if so, how does it work?

Also are there any kind of optional collectables like the photos/graffiti/souvenirs from the LiS series?

Yes (telepathy between twins and the ability to conjure exact 3D memories).

And yes (small wooden toys).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How does the power work in actual gameplay though?

So it’s basically a Life is Strange game with the numbers filed off, neat. Since it was published by Microsoft themselves and likely will never be available on anything besides their products I might have to buy an Xbox One at some point.

For now though, I’ll just watch the game vicariously via Let’s Plays.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I really liked how you earn Sam's respect if you stand up for yourself and call him out on his backhanded compliment..

e: https://kotaku.com/tell-me-whys-first-episode-is-too-real-1844867529 v good article by Riley MacLeod

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 28, 2020

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it feels very much like life is strange. first couple hours were pretty slowww. like, one puzzle, and no notable decision points

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, are there any LiS alumni (or notable actors in general) among Tell Me Why’s voice cast?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any LiS alumni (or notable actors in general) among Tell Me Why’s voice cast?

Not that I'm aware after having checked but... you know you could just look this up for yourself right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yes I certainly could. Nevermind then

Edit: Not that I can see but the main female lead Alyson is voiced by Erica Lindbeck who’s apparently done a lot of work involving anime dubs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erica_Lindbeck

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 28, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just watched a playthrough online as I’m probably not going to be able to play the game myself for a while. But in any case, I like this well enough. The characters seem fine and unlike LiS 2 it actually brings back a bit of mystery to the story.

In fact, if Square didn’t own the copyright I’m almost positive this probably would have been a Life is Strange game as it’s got a lot of the same elements you’d expect (powers, simplistic puzzles, optional collectables, dorky get lovable main characters, etc). The concept of two playable characters is interesting as well (though you seem to be Tyler more often than not so far).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 29, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity though as I only watched a playthrough, does picking different memories to follow (like the one in the store if you pick Alyson‘s memory instead of Tyler’s) lead to a drastically different outcome or do both more or less produce the same basic end result?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 30, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Given how trans identities are often used and exploited for cheap pathos, as you yourself pointed out with the inclusion of a character who gets deadnamed in TLOU2, and how quickly inaccuracies spread such as the misplaced pronoun usage in DP2, I think Dontnod did the responsible thing by being very cautious and very clear about what players should expect to see.
I think its worse than tlou2 thing tbh. That faq on their website made my blood boil

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eh, it’s harmless enough and Tyler more or less just seems to be treated like a normal guy. Also regardless of how well he’s represented I do kind of like him as a character.

Holy poo poo that ending though, As it turns out Alyson killed their mom and Tyler took the blame. Also the Mad Hunter appeared but that likely was just a panic induced hallucination.

Also I forget, do they ever mention anything about their dad in this episode?

Next time we embark on another time honored LiS tradition (breaking into an office to search for files).

But yeah, despite some issues here and there the game seems good and definitely should be able to scratch the Life is Strange itch until if/when the next proper game comes out.

Should we make a separate Tell Me Why thread though? It feels like more people might actually pay attention to it in that case.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 31, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sadly the only thing that could make me pay attention is a PS4 release

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Sadly the only thing that could make me pay attention is a PS4 release

The game was literally published by Microsoft themselves so I can safely say that’s likely never going to happen.

If you can run it, there is a PC release as well though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't

Fortunately Cuphead was also MS published and just got a PS4 release so I just have to wait two or three years.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I vote make a new thread called something like "Dear Esther, Tell Me Why Life is Strange in the Woods" and call it the emotional narrative adventure megathread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I vote make a new thread called something like "Dear Esther, Tell Me Why Life is Strange in the Woods" and call it the emotional narrative adventure megathread.

Sounds good, I don’t have the time to make one myself currently but if anyone else wants to go for it then go ahead.