Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Ep 5 is gonna have this ship:

Looks pretty good there, hopefully we get some better angles.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kinda looks like Riker’s Titan if it had been designed during TNG season 5.

I was gonna say that it looked like the Shenzou with a Galaxy-era aesthetic to me. You can see it a bit better with STO's Georgiou-class, which is just the Shenzou with an Excelsior-era aesthetic, and is something of a midpoint between the two designs.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vageuly reminded of the Saber Class in overall layout, too.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Looks pretty good there, hopefully we get some better angles.
From that angle, it's a less gawky, TNG-movie-era version of the Cerritos itself.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ashpanash posted:

Interesting. It didn't strike me as the same joke at all. To me, the Rick and Morty joke was 'Oh no, the whole thing was real after all, AND there was plenty of obvious evidence that it was.'

On the other hand, the LDS joke is more 'Oh, even after all of my preparation, it turns out I'm utterly unprepared for what I'm experiencing.'

Well. You know what they say about examining jokes.

The context of both jokes are 'there's a character that is nominally trying to ascend and our protagonist interrupts'.

In R&M the setup is that Morty tries to do the right thing by asking a reasonable question and the punchline is that this directly results in a horrific unrelated consequence.

In Lower Decks, the setup is... (spoilers I guess for those who haven't watched) the guy was faking all along? He's ready, causing him to ascend, but actually isn't ready? Why is the Panda smiling? It's just a random mess of stuff thrown at the screen in the hopes that some of it gets a chuckle, but there's no build up to any of it. This also isn't the first time Lower Decks has tried to finish jokes with a shotgun approach to punchlines and it's a mark of the lazy low quality writing that everyone's complaining about. In episodes 1-3 I didn't mind that the show wasn't as clever as it could be because at least there were clearly structured stories about characters, this was just a mess of stuff.

e: the moral of this episode is "don't worry too much what other people think of you" except when you look at what happens that's not the message it sends.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Payndz posted:

From that angle, it's a less gawky, TNG-movie-era version of the Cerritos itself.

I do hope we see some TNG ships tooling around. A Nebula or Galaxy. Or hell, it'd be nice to see a New Orleans or Cheyenne or one of those for some real nerd credit, it'd be cool to get one into the show properly.

Or they could come across a Freedom Class, a ship even the Cerritos looks down on.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ashpanash posted:

Well. You know what they say about examining jokes.

Analyze it to the point of making it not fun anymore?

If anything, LDS has some amazing music, they seem to hit the music perfectly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mooseontheloose posted:

Analyze it to the point of making it not fun anymore?

If anything, LDS has some amazing music, they seem to hit the music perfectly.

The little TNG-style leitmotifs as the episodes start are perfect.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah, I notice that's the Vancouver, and Freeman mentioned that she and the tellarite served on the Illinois years ago. So it's a running gag that all the background ships in Trek are just uncreatively named after cities, not just the California-class?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I mean I'm glad they've at least extended beyond California-themed cities. I figured their entire gimmick there is that the entertainment world revolves around California. Still waiting on LDS to give us a non-North American one though.

(I say this as someone with an STO ship named after my home city :shobon: )

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

Still waiting on LDS to give us a non-North American one though.

I mean, I think that's part of the gag - background ships are always named after generic american cities in Trek.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MikeJF posted:

I mean, I think that's part of the gag - background ships are always named after generic american cities in Trek.

Off the top of my head I can think of Melbourne, Berlin, Budapest, Tripoli, Cairo, Havana.

But yeah, all of those cities probably also have towns in the US named after them too, so I guess the argument still holds :v:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

MikeJF posted:

Hah, I notice that's the Vancouver, and Freeman mentioned that she and the tellarite served on the Illinois years ago. So it's a running gag that all the background ships in Trek are just uncreatively named after cities, not just the California-class?

I've been to the city of Illinois. It was okay.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

The_Doctor posted:

People did when that padd showed up in the trailer. Turns out that was basically the entire joke. People make poops in the holodeck.

In my head they're bleeping out the word "cum" not "poo poo". Because that is what everyone is really using the holodeck for.

MikeJF posted:

Ascension gave me vibes of Bill Cipher.

Cipher's scene in Grunkle Stan's head too.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CommanderApaul posted:

In my head they're bleeping out the word "cum" not "poo poo". Because that is what everyone is really using the holodeck for.

When I made this point to my wife, she countered with “Well, have you ever seen a toilet in Star Trek?”

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

When I made this point to my wife, she countered with “Well, have you ever seen a toilet in Star Trek?”

If I go into a functioning Holodeck, I'm only going to create a toilet if that's what I happen to want to ejaculate into that day.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The artwork they use for the ships is interesting. In a still it looks a lot like vector clip art made out of a bunch of gradients with textures applied, but in motion they are pretty clearly 3D models. I'd be interested to know more about how they are animating and rendering them.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Riker goes to the holodeck to beat off, and loads a program that’s just two other Riker’s also beating off. They all look and wink at each other.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Phylodox posted:

Well, I have seen a shower. It's all pipes.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Riker goes to the holodeck to beat off, and loads a program that’s just two other Riker’s also beating off. They all look and wink at each other.

Only two?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

HD DAD posted:

They're on chairs - you know how they got there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TomR posted:

The artwork they use for the ships is interesting. In a still it looks a lot like vector clip art made out of a bunch of gradients with textures applied, but in motion they are pretty clearly 3D models. I'd be interested to know more about how they are animating and rendering them.

I think it's actually a combo. There are a lot of clips - most, actually - where it's moving across the screen without changing and just pan/zooming the images and it seems to be 2D art, but you don't really notice because the show has enough 3D model shots that it doesn't occur to you how many are 2D ones. And the 2D ones can be touched-up renders or 2D art traced over a reference render of their 3D model for better artistic look than a plain render would give, and the 3D cell-shaded ones pan around fast enough you don't notice they're a little different and less stylised.

Like in these shots,

All of the elements are moving/zooming independently of each other but they're all actually totally 2D if you watch. It's all done very deftly and looks great, though.

While this

Is a 3D model shot, and you can see it looks slightly less 'drawn' and more rendered than the above ones.

I don't think they even had a 3D model of the generation ship this episode, actually.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 28, 2020

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I'd still like to see a "serious" animated Trek someday.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nullsmack posted:

How dare you suggest that TAS isn’t serious

(This is where I post the ‘Kirk is a Jerk’ image)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CommanderApaul posted:

That's what I assumed was being bleeped.

I did like how all the stuff the Senior Staff does for fun is considering extra boring and annoying.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

twistedmentat posted:

That's what I assumed was being bleeped.

I did like how all the stuff the Senior Staff does for fun is considering extra boring and annoying.

You mean the joke of mocking everything we've seen other crews for recreation? How funny!!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Super Deuce posted:

You mean the joke of mocking everything we've seen other crews for recreation? How funny!!

It’s hilarious because what the TNG bridge crew do for fun is incredibly stuffy and dull.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

The_Doctor posted:

It’s hilarious because what the TNG bridge crew do for fun is incredibly stuffy and dull.

Sure, I guess... if you need to be bombarded with stimuli constantly.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

Sure, I guess... if you need to be bombarded with stimuli constantly.

this kind of thinly-veiled "if you think this is funny you are not as smart as I am" commentary sucks rear end, man. You could very easily have responded to this without the accusatory tone. There's been plenty of people discussing their negative opinions of the show ITT without the pointless hostility.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Lower Decks. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Lower Decks. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head.

Bazinga!!

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

this kind of thinly-veiled "if you think this is funny you are not as smart as I am" commentary sucks rear end, man. You could very easily have responded to this without the accusatory tone. There's been plenty of people discussing their negative opinions of the show ITT without the pointless hostility.

Saying people playing poker and appreciating concerts is stuffy and boring sucks rear end, too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Nullsmack posted:

The anime adaptation is going to be wild.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
turns out when you make a rick and morty star trek show you attract the most horrible grognard fans imaginable. who could have guessed!!!?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

to be fair, you need to have a really high iq to appreciate that the crew of the enterprise spends its recreation time on violin recitals and euchre nights

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You're lying to yourself if you think Picard didn't use the holodeck to gently caress.

Have y'all forgotten about Ruby?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lobo3c0NFg

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Reginald Barcley always fucks in the holodeck. It doesn't matter if he's doing something else, he will find time to gently caress.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Mariner would be a lot easier to accept if some one just admitted they only keep her around cause she is good in a pinch but annoying / insubordinate every time else that the just put up with. That is why Ransom was such a good foil for Mariner in the last episode: able to handle the issue and then actually punished Mariner for ignoring a direct order while admitting why he let her come along on the away team in the first place.

Otherwise I have no idea why Star Fleet hasn't drummed her rear end out already unless her parents just can't bring themselves to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And, I mean...Geordi.