Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And still another trailer more for today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yifA6uK7NE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

EbolaIvory posted:

You mean the game they showed last year at OC6 and we already knew was exclusive?

Pretty much. I can't think of anything atm that isn't accessible that way.

With everything that is happening re: Facebook, why would you ever count on revive working indefinitely?

This being an Oculus exclusive is terrible. I will never buy anything on the Oculus store just because revive works now. It's obvious they will shut down that loop hole as soon as they decide it's worth while to do so.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anybody played Hellsplit arena?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Skyarb posted:

I will never buy anything on the Oculus store just because revive works now. It's obvious they will shut down that loop hole as soon as they decide it's worth while to do so.

More than likely the Rift S will lose Oculus store support after 3 years from launch, and they will offer you a partial credit for the games you purchased, for the Facebook Quest store. Probably will burn a lot of good will on that, but I think they only sold a quarter million Rift S worldwide and it'll be a legacy "Oculus" product, not a fully supported "Facebook VR" headset

I'm about to go list my Quest on SA Mart, been too busy

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Hadlock posted:

I'm about to go list my Quest on SA Mart, been too busy

I've actually been looking to offload mine as well. Have a 128GB model and it hasn't seen a ton of use, especially lately.

What's a fair price for a lightly-used Quest?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Honestly you could probably still sell one for the retail price if they're still not in stock officially.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WOW, they actually got the Wraith license? That's wild. I never thought I'd see a Wraith game, much less VR.

But I guess White Wolf is kinda like dead now? I have no idea who actually owns the IP even.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
House flipper is out the quest for $15!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hadlock posted:

More than likely the Rift S will lose Oculus store support after 3 years from launch, and they will offer you a partial credit for the games you purchased, for the Facebook Quest store. Probably will burn a lot of good will on that, but I think they only sold a quarter million Rift S worldwide and it'll be a legacy "Oculus" product, not a fully supported "Facebook VR" headset

This seems like a stretch on every level.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Not the way I would go with a licenced World of Darkness game, but ok, sure, why not.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

This seems like a stretch on every level.

The Rift S has been on borrowed time since it turned out the Quest could be tethered; It physically can't do hand-tracking, a third party's involved in manufacturing it, and it's sold worse than the Quest. The moment a 90Hz Quest, or Quest successor rolls out it is dead because there's no way Facebook wouldn't capitalize on a single device that gets them the PCVR market and standalone usage. And if those leaked renders are real then that 90Hz Quest revision is relatively imminent.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It wouldn't suprise me in the least if they release the Quest 2 at 90hz, and they reveal that the Quest 1 will do 90hz in tether mode only

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t expect a bright future for it support wise but the idea that they would just brick it for absolutely no reason seems ludicrous to me.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

I don’t expect a bright future for it support wise but the idea that they would just brick it for absolutely no reason seems ludicrous to me.

never stopped Google

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Not bricked, just reduced to legacy support. It not being compatible with a newer game will start and end at "Go buy a new headset :shrug:".

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Harminoff posted:

House flipper is out the quest for $15!

Honestly psyched about this lol. Quest is in dire need of more "open ended" types of games. VR is like the ultimate platform for poo poo like this and also vehicle simulators (Flight, Euro Truck, etc) and I wish they'd show up for it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I 100% give up on Payday 2. I cannot get this poo poo to work at all. All I want is 1) to hold my gun in my left hand and 2) to use the left stick to move/strafe and the right stick to pivot, no teleporting. Absolutely no combination of binds or options will allow me to do this. The instant you switch your gun-hand via the ingame menu every single set of binds including the defaults goes loving crazy. The left analog stick becomes completely nonfunctional except to madly vibrate and the right stick does crazy poo poo like forward taking you forward but down strafing you left, and moving back involves pressing on the touchpad for some reason.

I'm gonna go play Boneworks again.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EbolaIvory posted:

Pretty much. I can't think of anything atm that isn't accessible that way.

Pretty soon this statment will apply to your personal info! :suicide:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

i fully expect it to "softbrick" it by adding an annoying warning box every time you open the software, or making it not run newer games ("not compatible with this device!") etc
really bricking it would result in legal action but there's no law against making the experience so bad the only option is buying something else

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Inacio posted:

i fully expect it to "softbrick" it by adding an annoying warning box every time you open the software, or making it not run newer games ("not compatible with this device!") etc
really bricking it would result in legal action but there's no law against making the experience so bad the only option is buying something else

Would it result in legal action?

There was a case recently up here where Google bought a smart glasses company and immediately discontinued their product as in, the app will no longer open and without the app the smart part of the smart glasses is literally non functional. That's pretty close to bricking.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

When Fitbit bought Pebble they basically bricked every Pebble watch by shutting down the Pebble servers, I think there was legal action over that but don't think it ever went anywhere. There's plenty of precedent for tech companies bricking old devices without consequence. Buying competitors only to immediately shut them down is also super common, the head of Bigscreen said in an interview recently that Facebook basically said if they didn't get a big enough cut from their Oculus platform sales they'd just launch their own competitor and destroy them.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i mean, there's a difference between servers being shut down because the company got bought, went out of business etc, and facebook saying "we have a new model, your perfectly functional hardware is now unusable. do some overtime and get the new one"

(not that the former isnt just as poo poo as the latter, but i imagine its different legally speaking. i also have no idea what im talking about, im just guessing)

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

njsykora posted:

When Fitbit bought Pebble they basically bricked every Pebble watch by shutting down the Pebble servers, I think there was legal action over that but don't think it ever went anywhere. There's plenty of precedent for tech companies bricking old devices without consequence. Buying competitors only to immediately shut them down is also super common, the head of Bigscreen said in an interview recently that Facebook basically said if they didn't get a big enough cut from their Oculus platform sales they'd just launch their own competitor and destroy them.

The Pebble team at least built something into the software that lets you redirect to third party services. Rebble is a thing.

Better example would be the North smart glasses.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Inacio posted:

From a business standpoint I see absolutely no reason for them to do something like this tbh. Given how desperately they want people to adopt VR the idea the idea that they would arbitrarily bump one of their own devices out of the ecosystem seems like pretty wild speculation to me.

Now, if you said the S would slowly stop getting updates and become less usable over time I’d believe it’s entirely possible a few years down the road. Who knows though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

From a business standpoint I see absolutely no reason for them to do something like this tbh. Given how desperately they want people to adopt VR the idea the idea that they would arbitrarily bump one of their own devices out of the ecosystem seems like pretty wild speculation to me.

Now, if you said the S would slowly stop getting updates and become less usable over time I’d believe it’s entirely possible a few years down the road. Who knows though.

The Rift S isn't wholly owned by Facebook, Lenovo was tasked to make, manufacture and distribute it. The Quest is entirely their own device. The Rift S would be on the chopping block just to get Lenovo out of the picture.

Edit: As in no further updates and discontinued, not bricked.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 28, 2020

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The idea that they would brick the S is some hilarious gamer paranoia.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Like them moving to require a FB account to keep your device working is hilarious gamer paranoia?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the idea that they'd mandate Facebook logins after promising they wouldn't is some hilarious gamer paranoia

E: wow ok

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I don't think anyone's claimed that it's paranoid to think they'd move to consolidate more behind Facebook over time. There have always been clear reasons why they'd want to, they had just put it off for a while.

I don't see any reason why they would randomly decide to gently caress over S owners specifically. They're still maintaining their PC environment, at the very least through Quest using link. It's just kind of weird to assume that because they did one bad thing for an understandable reason they'd do a different bad thing for ??????? reasons

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'll be getting rid of my Rift as while I don't really care that companies spy on us or whatever I draw the line at being told I have to do something to carry on using a product I bought.
I'm not Angry Gamer about it or anything like that but I will be going elsewhere for my next headset.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Why would they care about 'getting Lenovo out of the picture', they aren't making a profit on the devices anyway the devices are just to get people into their ecosystem which is where (eventually, they think) huge profit is to be made.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm not totally sure what type of game will be this

https://twitter.com/OuterloopGames/status/1299371995310600192

There is a bit more of combat than I imagined

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

El Grillo posted:

Why would they care about 'getting Lenovo out of the picture', they aren't making a profit on the devices anyway the devices are just to get people into their ecosystem which is where (eventually, they think) huge profit is to be made.

Exactly.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
As far as I know Lenovo don't hold any cards at all, they don't own any of the tech involved and they were pretty much just contracted in to help with the industrial design of the thing, I don't think they have any say in anything

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Pistol whip just got a huge update, 3 new songs, challenge mode, a few new modifiers. It continues to be great!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

El Grillo posted:

Same reason Oculus is now openly FacebookVR when it didn't need to be; consolidation. The Rift S is superfluous in the face of a single device they can produce and sell to their entire marketbase themselves rather than only a portion of it.

Also if you had even the faintest doubt Facebook Horizon wouldn't be observing everything you do, to no-one's surprise it's downright Orwellian.

wezmon
Dec 31, 2007
This is probably an unpopular opinion in this thread, but I'm actually okay with this. I don't intend to use it myself, but I also think that if anyone goes in to it expecting it to be like a public space with all the freedoms that entails, they are being very naive.
I'd think if it like spending time in a shopping centre or something. You are undoubtedly being surveilled, and if you start talking poo poo to randoms, you can expect to be punished for it.
I mean, if they make it a lawless space, it will be just swastikas and goatses as far as the eye can see, right?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Of course it hinges on them doing a good job, which is not likely because it's Facebook, but yeah, when the alternative is more or less

spacetoaster posted:

Got Onward for Oculus Quest.

It's pretty cool, but my first few games were a bunch of kids screaming racial slurs and teamkilling.

I agree that there is theoretical value in a moderated space where people can't be huge assholes with no repercussions

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'll mod the VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wezmon posted:

This is probably an unpopular opinion in this thread, but I'm actually okay with this. I don't intend to use it myself, but I also think that if anyone goes in to it expecting it to be like a public space with all the freedoms that entails, they are being very naive.
I'd think if it like spending time in a shopping centre or something. You are undoubtedly being surveilled, and if you start talking poo poo to randoms, you can expect to be punished for it.
I mean, if they make it a lawless space, it will be just swastikas and goatses as far as the eye can see, right?

Moderation is absolutely a good thing, but watch the Horizon Safety Video and listen to what they can actually do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijmnk5L767U

If it was anyone other than Facebook, I'd actually say the headset locally recording the last few minutes for a report is actually a good idea.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 29, 2020