Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

OhFunny posted:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/08/26/national/politics-diplomacy/shinzo-abe-health-news-conference/

Also Japan's PM Abe has been to the hospital twice recently. No one knows why. He's expected to make a statement on his health Friday.

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/sta...hingawful.com%2

Guess those rumored health issues were true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Russian President visited his friend, a former Red Army soldier who fought as a sniper Stalingrad and now lives in the wilderness of Siberia, where he puts his marksmanship to use hunting wildlife.

As a token of their visit, the soldier presents him with a wolf pelt that's coated with gold. The President asks him how he made that, and he says that there's a particular stream where if he soaks the pelts in it, they get imbued with gold over time. The President's interest gets piqued, and he sends a surveying team to the area that the soldier described.

The engineers and technicians find that not only does that area have a huge gold deposit (which explains why the stream would deposit gold on anything it flowed through), but that there's also a veritable ocean of crude oil lying just underneath, with more barrels than even Saudi Arabia ever had.

The Russian President contacts President Jack Ryan to tell him the news, and they work out an agreement where American oil companies will help develop drilling and mining operations in the area so that Russia can profit from the discovery.

The word of this gets out, and that's what China is after when they invade.

Much, much later in the book, when the top commander of the PLA is driving around in his tank, the old sniper manages to shoot him right between the eyes because his head was sticking out of the turret. He then takes the opportunity to say that shooting one fascist now was not all that different from shooting the fascists so many years ago.

with a setup like that im amazed that chinas the villain and not that the soviet union sparks a popular uprising to prevent the country from being robbed of trillions of dollars

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad abe is resigning. of course his replacement will probably also be a ghoul, but he's been a poo poo pm. fun fact: his grandpa was a war criminal who brutalized manchuria. eat poo poo, bitch

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Some Guy TT posted:

with a setup like that im amazed that chinas the villain and not that the soviet union sparks a popular uprising to prevent the country from being robbed of trillions of dollars

It was written in the late 1990s when Russia was a "good guy," this would rapidly change (btw the Russian president allowed American oil companies to do what they will which should clue you in.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

The book was written in 2000, and since Clancy tried to keep things at least mildly grounded in reality, he also had to write-in that the Soviet Union did collapse, and so Russia was now a democracy-loving capitalist bastion of liberalism.

This was also the culmination of something like a three book cycle: in Debt of Honor, we see a cabal forming between the head of a Japanese zaibatsu, an Iranian mullah, and a senior CPC politburo member. Debt of Honor is when the Japanese step up to the plate and attack the US, but is parried by the President heeding Jack Ryan's advice as National Security Advisor. He gets elevated to Vice President to replace not-Ted-Kennedy getting implicated in not-Chappaquiddick, but a distraught Japanese pilot does a 9/11 on Congress during the State of the Union address so Ryan becomes President.

Executive Orders is when Ryan has to contend with rebuilding the US government after this decapitation, and then has to deal with the second part of the triumvirate when Iran assassinates not-Saddam-Hussein, assimilates Iraq, and forms the United Islamic Republic as a new regional superpower that attacks the US with an outbreak of Ebola virus. The Federal government implements lockdown procedures to secure the outbreak of Ebola, the US military does Gulf War 2.0, the not-Ayatollah-Khomeini gets assassinated with a smart bomb, and all is well.

The Bear and the Dragon was part three, where China takes its shot after the first two members of the pact have failed.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Mirello posted:

I'm glad abe is resigning. of course his replacement will probably also be a ghoul, but he's been a poo poo pm. fun fact: his grandpa was a war criminal who brutalized manchuria. eat poo poo, bitch

*monkey's paw curls, koike becomes pm*

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

extremely nice of the Clancy villains to attack the US one at a time, so it's a fair fight.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Russian President contacts President Jack Ryan to tell him the news, and they work out an agreement where American oil companies will help develop drilling and mining operations in the area so that Russia can profit from the discovery.

the rest of the plot was reasonable, but this is ridiculous.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

so we can do this to black babies but they can't? hosed up imo

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/sta...hingawful.com%2

Guess those rumored health issues were true.

They will most likely install some hardline anti China poo poo-hog.
This is 2020 so I’m not holding my breath for anything good to come out of this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know anything about Taro Aso? He's supposed to be the next in line in LDP leadership?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Anyone know anything about Taro Aso? He's supposed to be the next in line in LDP leadership?

For English resources, there's this:
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13663073

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

he comes from an old war criminal family, is an open member of a of a neo-imperial ultranationalist group, and is so bigoted he stopped a dude in his own party from becoming PM for being a burakumin

he's also considered a big joke because he might actually be illiterate

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

so he's probably gonna be pm for the next 20 years yeah

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

TARO ASO

Finance minister Aso, 79, who also doubles as deputy prime minister, has been a core member of Abe’s administration. Without a clear consensus on who should succeed Abe, LDP lawmakers could elect Aso as a temporary leader if Abe resigns.

In 2008, Aso was elected LDP leader and hence, premier, in hopes that he could revive the long-dominant party’s fortunes. Instead, the LDP was ousted in a historic election defeat in 2009, languishing in the opposition for the next three years.

The grandson of a former premier, Aso mixes policy experience with a fondness for manga comics and a tendency towards gaffes.

lmfao Japan gonna get weeaboo Biden

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
can a person be weeb if they r japanese? food for thot

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Aso is a racist, misogynistic piece of poo poo. He's also loving old.
Aka he'd represent his voter base pretty well. :haw:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Russian President visited his friend, a former Red Army soldier who fought as a sniper Stalingrad and now lives in the wilderness of Siberia, where he puts his marksmanship to use hunting wildlife.

As a token of their visit, the soldier presents him with a wolf pelt that's coated with gold. The President asks him how he made that, and he says that there's a particular stream where if he soaks the pelts in it, they get imbued with gold over time. The President's interest gets piqued, and he sends a surveying team to the area that the soldier described.

The engineers and technicians find that not only does that area have a huge gold deposit (which explains why the stream would deposit gold on anything it flowed through), but that there's also a veritable ocean of crude oil lying just underneath, with more barrels than even Saudi Arabia ever had.

The word of this gets out, and that's what China is after when they invade.

Much, much later in the book, when the top commander of the PLA is driving around in his tank, the old sniper manages to shoot him right between the eyes because his head was sticking out of the turret. He then takes the opportunity to say that shooting one fascist now was not all that different from shooting the fascists so many years ago.

Can you write a Taiwan version? A super popular tw pro green youtuber just got shot for real, you can start with that.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 09:47 on Aug 28, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Mirello posted:

Literally all of the potential PM candidates are sons of former PM/fraction leaders/war criminal.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 09:37 on Aug 28, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

yooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7EHYonXWzE

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

stephenthinkpad posted:

That's your argument for preventing the Chinese from getting their wealth? no you should argue for bringing down the current resource consumption per capita of America and Canada to the world level!

You don't get it. Wealth is poison. Americans have almost entirely been corrupted by capitalist alienation at this point. One of my favorite things about living in China was that the Chinese are generally only half-alienated. They still have social intelligence and the ability to think and act for the greater good. I was very lucky to be able to learn from that and change before I was totally alienated. All the wealth in the world is not worth losing this insane advantage.

On top of alienation, Chinese becoming individually materialistic like Americans are would further doom the planet's biosphere. That's why I want China to evolve into communism or something like it. I do not want them to become 'wealthy' like Americans are for their own sake and for the sake of everyone else.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grapplejack posted:

Lol come on that's a heritage foundation website

Agreed. Twitter is not a reliable source at all.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
ah, the noble savages living in china used to coexist in peace with nature, much like the natives here in america, but now i weep for their lost innocence...............

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cool strawman bro

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Saying ‘I do not want them to become wealthy like Americans for their sake and our sake’ is patronizing at the very best. If this taste of wealth is truly so poisonous and corruptible that it can’t be removed from America then that’s that. If the wealthiest nation on earth with free labour and land couldn’t do it why could China, its fatalist to only to one side and unfair

you can’t tell people ‘do as I say not as I do’ no matter how you shake it

Professorjuggalo has issued a correction as of 12:49 on Aug 28, 2020

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Literally all of the potential PM candidates are sons of former PM/fraction leaders/war criminal.

yeah japan politics sucks. basically like letting all the nazis back into govt (which they did do in west germany, but had some shame about it). I dunno what could sink the ldp though, the opposition is extremely toothless.

also @naanviolence stfu, your constant trolling/ contrarianism makes this thread an eyesore to read. as someone who lives in china and is married to a chinese you suck.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Professorjuggalo posted:

Saying ‘I do not want them to become wealthy like Americans

I read that as 'in the same manner as' not 'to the same degree as'

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

VideoTapir posted:

I read that as 'in the same manner as' not 'to the same degree as'

why not say something like ‘I hope China tries to consume more like the Japanese or European’ instead of malthusiany ‘all of us will die if China can achieve a quality of life that Americans will never themselves give away thats amazing to have once you get it but you’re evil for trying’. either way I’m done with the topic cause I’ve def been making GBS threads it up on the derail myself

best way I can put it is imagine trying this argument in a African geopolitics thread

Professorjuggalo has issued a correction as of 15:18 on Aug 28, 2020

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/rodericday/status/1299360207470985218

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

NaanViolence posted:

You don't get it. Wealth is poison. Americans have almost entirely been corrupted by capitalist alienation at this point. One of my favorite things about living in China was that the Chinese are generally only half-alienated. They still have social intelligence and the ability to think and act for the greater good. I was very lucky to be able to learn from that and change before I was totally alienated. All the wealth in the world is not worth losing this insane advantage.

On top of alienation, Chinese becoming individually materialistic like Americans are would further doom the planet's biosphere. That's why I want China to evolve into communism or something like it. I do not want them to become 'wealthy' like Americans are for their own sake and for the sake of everyone else.

Great post. This reason alone is why I prefer China to win the next Cold War. China is literally the last major country with a functional government somewhat independent of finance-capital (fascism). It’s illustrated quite nicely in this exchange:

quote:

Isaac: Maybe the Luminous Path, but China knows that the Red Arrow are business owners, entrepreneurs, community leaders, and that they protect the city from outside influences.

JC Denton: You said 'outside influences.' What does China fear?
Isaac: China is the last sovereign country in the world. Authoritarian but willing - unlike U.N.-governed countries - to give its people the freedom to do what they want.

JC Denton: As long as they don’t break the law.
Isaac: Listen to me. This is real freedom, freedom to own property, make a profit, make your life. The West, so afraid of strong government, now has no government. Only financial power.

JC Denton: Our governments have limited power by design.
Isaac: Rhetoric--and you believe it! Don’t you know where those slogans come from?

JC Denton: I give up.
Isaac: Well-paid researchers - how do you say it? - 'think tanks,' funded by big businesses. What is that? A 'think tank'?

JC Denton: Hardly as sinister as a dictator, like China’s Premier.
Isaac: It’s privately-funded propaganda. The Trilateral Commission in the United States for instance.

JC Denton: The separation of powers acknowledges the petty ambitions of individuals; that’s its strength.
Isaac: A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

JC Denton: Perhaps certain qualities are an inseparable part of human nature.
Isaac: The mark of the educated man is the suppression of these qualities in favor of better ones. The same is true of civilization.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Bear and the Dragon was part three, where China takes its shot after the first two members of the pact have failed.

It also ends in a successful, spontaneous democratic revolution in China.

Clancy would always have these big events, Russia getting super rich, mega-Iran/Iraq, and China going democratic but have to act like it didn't happen later on because it would be a weird alt-history where some person picking up a book in an airport would have no idea what was going on.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Clancy would always have these big events, Russia getting super rich, mega-Iran/Iraq, and China going democratic but have to act like it didn't happen later on because it would be a weird alt-history where some person picking up a book in an airport would have no idea what was going on.

It is a good way to judge the success of commercialized bug-eyed nationalism. Dugin needed a Jack Ryan if he really wanted to sell copies.

You can make the argument though that a Tom Clancy is necessary in the US because American state nationalism after the Civil War is inherently unstable and has similar features to Turkish nationalism (which also has a ton of similar weird geopolitical conspiracy authors).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:07 on Aug 28, 2020

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
i think the motivation behind resetting in book universe is to have an easily identifiable foreign other as the antagonist without the author having to spend a lot of words building up

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

huhwhat posted:

i think the motivation behind resetting in book universe is to have an easily identifiable foreign other as the antagonist without the author having to spend a lot of words building up

Part of it is that American foreign policy itself is incoherent and the "Clancy-verse" reflects that.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:19 on Aug 28, 2020

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
american foreign policy being "america first" is p clear to anyone on the receiving end, though tbf "[nation] first" is also the foreign policy of other nations. its just that if ur trying to get more details than that or figure out some grand strategy behind the 4d chess moves being made ur going to end up being sorely disappointed

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Malkina_ posted:

Great post. This reason alone is why I prefer China to win the next Cold War. China is literally the last major country with a functional government somewhat independent of finance-capital (fascism). It’s illustrated quite nicely in this exchange:

Please don't base your knowledge of China off of Deus Ex. Or at least play past the first hour to when you get to China and realize that it's independence from the UN is entirely in service of protecting and enriching local tyrants. Finance-capital plays a huge corrupt role in the CCP and much of it's platform is shaped by SOEs and the politicians that have massive financial stakes in them

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
corollary to that dont base ur knowledge of chinar off of forum goons and western sources

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

huhwhat posted:

american foreign policy being "america first" is p clear to anyone on the receiving end, though tbf "[nation] first" is also the foreign policy of other nations. its just that if ur trying to get more details than that or figure out some grand strategy behind the 4d chess moves being made ur going to end up being sorely disappointed

Granted, I think part of it is specifically an American issue of geniuses in the beltway thinking up some new grand strategy every year or so coupled with new administrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

It is a good way to judge the success of commercialized bug-eyed nationalism. Dugin needed a Jack Ryan if he really wanted to sell copies.

You can make the argument though that a Tom Clancy is necessary in the US because American state nationalism after the Civil War is inherently unstable and has similar features to Turkish nationalism (which also has a ton of similar weird geopolitical conspiracy authors).

I think the difference is that Clancy had editors and it was genre fiction, "airport" fiction at that, which is something that's very controlled and has to follow rules like romance novels. Jack Ryan and the other characters couldn't really change or grow because someone has to be able to pick up the book, know what's going on without reading the other books. While it's part of this trilogy of sorts, it's set up as a standalone for those reasons. The problem is that there was an increasing scale of one upping previous books to keep the fans hooked but this ultimately ends in the real world being changed dramatically. Tom Clancy was mostly for men who jerked off to Jane's catalogs and his antagonists were generally people conservatives whined about, like Greenpeace for instance. I don't think something like Rainbow Six influenced politics in any stretch, other than being entertainment for right leaning miltech nerds.

Dugin himself is a pseudo intellectual that doesn't really have editors from what I understand. It's just him rambling about the ravings of past lunatics about how the Russian people contain a unique soul that's pumped up on murder energy while the rest of the world is weak or whatever. Unless I'm wrong, he's never tried his hand at fiction but if he did, I'm sure it would make Clancy look like a savant.

I wish China didn't have laws about it because I'm sure there'd be some wild Clancy type stuff out of China judging by the military fanfiction sites that are popular with the PLA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

At the same time though do you really want super long admins

Also idk if it came up in here but some other names that have come up are Fumio Kishida, Abe's foreign ministry guy, and Taro Kono, the defense minister. Kono is really hawkish so we'll see who wins out. Kishida was Abe's personal choice but he might not have legislative support.