Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

SeANMcBAY posted:

You should. It basically fixes some of the bullshit design of the original and plays very well.

https://twitter.com/oatmealdome/status/1299042914304229381?s=21

Temper your expectations on a Switch Pro any time soon.

This just in! Switch pro delayed until 2022, watch out two hour video to find out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

lets hang out posted:

BM Zero takes everything good about the original game and actively makes it worse, it's really weird.
I think BMZ is a fun take on the original, but I was disappointed that they completely changed Area 2 for the worse. I think they had to change it though since the level design in OG BM exploited the edge wrapping behavior of maps, and Area 2 was particularly notable for it. I did appreciate the liberties they took towards the end of the game including the stealth section and fighting bosses with Sophia.

Also, the bizarre map wrapping thing is part of the reason why a lot of 8-bit games didn't do on screen maps. Their geometry is non-Euclidean and involve non-obvious warps.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

If any of you are interested in some pretty okay budget games you should check out Rainsdowne Players and Hero Hours Contract.

i haven't played hhc yet, is the town exploration as substantial as in rainsdowne? because that was definitely the main thing i enjoyed rather than the theater minigames.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zurtilik posted:

Why are people in such a hurry to give Nintendo another $300+ dollars for essentially the same system? I mean the Lite at least filled a niche. Now they're just trying to get a few extra FPS and an inch or two of screen.

I hated how many weird variations of the DS/3DS their were.

They think that a new revision means parity with a PS4 non-pro. So they'd only be two console generations behind. Rather than just using that $300 to buy a PS4 because...um...

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

yellowyams posted:

i haven't played hhc yet, is the town exploration as substantial as in rainsdowne? because that was definitely the main thing i enjoyed rather than the theater minigames.

Haven't played enough to say. Though you do have a limit of social interactions between each mission which seems to tie into the boosts you get from your labor dispute.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Takoluka posted:

I love that over three years, Nintendo has effectively had one model for their console, and it is driving people bonkers. "They're the New 3DS guys! They've got to do it! It's Nintendo! They're greedy and stupid! WHY AREN'T THEY DOING IT!?"
The New 3DS came out four years after the 3DS though.

Nintendo did rush out revisions of the GBA and DS but that was due to flaws of both systems (especially the DS in face of competition from the PSP) needing to be addressed to encourage sales. Nintendo tends to not muck around with systems for which sales are strong, maybe making silent cost-reduced revisions which is effectively what they've done with the Switch so far.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Zurtilik posted:

Why are people in such a hurry to give Nintendo another $300+ dollars for essentially the same system? I mean the Lite at least filled a niche. Now they're just trying to get a few extra FPS and an inch or two of screen.

Part of it is that companies have trained us to expect an upgrade every year or two. It's almost like if marketing has a profound effect on human behavior and decision-making

I bought a Redbox switch just for the battery upgrade and would probably upgrade to whatever they come out with because I'm part of the problem. FCC filings make me think it could be legit

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
A "Switch Pro" makes like no sense at all, the games that are trying to be 4k aren't coming out for the Switch. And if the "Switch Pro" was so far ahead that they *did* start coming out for only that, what third party support there is for the older Switch would dry up and you would lose a lot of face with customers by killing off something as popular as the Switch after only 4-5 years. Especially because they've said they're likely to support the Switch longer than they have previous consoles.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The timeline of DS is wild. My memory makes it seem like the DSi came out in like 2010 at the death of the original DS. But it came out in 08 and had an XL companion a year later that I don't even remember.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

A "Switch Pro" makes like no sense at all, the games that are trying to be 4k aren't coming out for the Switch. And if the "Switch Pro" was so far ahead that they *did* start coming out for only that, what third party support there is for the older Switch would dry up and you would lose a lot of face with customers by killing off something as popular as the Switch after only 4-5 years. Especially because they've said they're likely to support the Switch longer than they have previous consoles.

Honestly they could remove the bezels, blow up the screen, and add a little more horsepower so it doesn't struggle with current games when docked. That seems like a no-brainer upgrade to me that wouldn't disrupt the market

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The DSi XL rules

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A 4K Switch makes no sense. A Switch Pro makes a lot of sense. Devs not named Nintendo are having a hell of a time putting out Switch games that run at 700p 30fps. You can only live off indie treasures for so long.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

HLD is good and fun but I get triggered when people compare it to LTTP or zelda in general

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

A 4K Switch makes no sense. A Switch Pro makes a lot of sense. Devs not named Nintendo are having a hell of a time putting out Switch games that run at 700p 30fps. You can only live off indie treasures for so long.

Exactly. Some of y'all never play docked and it shows.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zurtilik posted:

I want a better battery than my current model and I also want an excuse to softmod homebrew games and get some emulation on my old Switch.

At this point though I'll probably wait for the Nintendo Switch One SX.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Spacebump posted:

Thanks for this post, my roommate was having a rough morning. I sent him that and it helped.

Leaked audio of the Sybian kart in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as-o01CW5Vs

Mega64
May 23, 2008

American McGay posted:

You can only live off indie treasures for so long.

I've been living off of them pretty drat well so far this year! I just finally got into Dead Cells, and I still have a bunch of indie games I need to get back to.

Speaking of which, any thoughts on Windbound so far? I'm pretty tempted, but would love some opinions before I drop $30 on it.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

American McGay posted:

I kind of get the appeal there but if they don't make every game at least playable undocked then there's going to be issues and so that makes me wonder what the max power we can really put on docked games is. I guess a lot of these Switch games are good at scaling, but we will see.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I, for one, am happy that Nintendo hasn’t been trying to occupy the same space as Microsoft and Sony for over a decade now, and would rather they not start to try now with a Switch Pro or what the gently caress ever

Nobody is buying a Nintendo console for the latest and greatest first-person shooter with XXXTRA REALISTIC GRAPHICS, they’re buying a Nintendo console to have their buddies over to take shots and dunk on each other at Smash Bros

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

What Nintendo needs to do is learn how to make joy sticks.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think anyone is asking them to occupy the same space. But personally it would be nice to play Witcher 3 on a Switch without having it look like absolute garbage. They're always 1 or 2 steps behind graphically, but they're very soon about to be 4 steps behind.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

American McGay posted:

I don't think anyone is asking them to occupy the same space. But personally it would be nice to play Witcher 3 on a Switch without having it look like absolute garbage. They're always 1 or 2 steps behind graphically, but they're very soon about to be 4 steps behind.

They did come in at a wild time, to be sure. But I don't know if a full step up is feasible without them getting into another gen as well.

What would be neat is if we could get an add-on to the Switch itself for like $150 or something. Like the N64 expansion pack. But I feel like that would be its own cluster.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

What Nintendo needs to do is learn how to make joy sticks.

Too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOof7nrsOko

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I'd say a Switch Pro that's directly analogous to the PS4 Pro/XB1X is not a bad idea. Games still support the base hardware, but run on the Pro and they do 1080p handheld, up to 1440p upscaled to 4k by Nvidia's Shield AI upscaling docked, maybe with HDR (which with Nintendo's art direction would be great).

There's no need for them to be targeting the same audience or compete with publisher attention for cut down versions of stuff for the next gen consoles, they have carved out their segment and do just fine without it, but incremental improvements to the hardware make sense even from a component sourcing perspective.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

lets hang out posted:

BM Zero takes everything good about the original game and actively makes it worse, it's really weird. At least the bosses aren't as messed up.

What makes you think this? I’m curious.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Oh hey my 2ds xl is coming today, loving pumped to be able to play all the games Nintendo won't put on the switch (not talking about the ones originally designed for DS systems). Gonna start off with both Metroid II and Samus Returns for a laugh.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
If I were going to give an Atelier game a try, having never even seen gameplay of any of the series, where should I start?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Oh hey my 2ds xl is coming today, loving pumped to be able to play all the games Nintendo won't put on the switch (not talking about the ones originally designed for DS systems). Gonna start off with both Metroid II and Samus Returns for a laugh.

Hell yeah I got a 2ds XL before the pandemic hit and I got hundreds of hours worth of persona q, etrian Odyssey, and all sorts of dumb poo poo. Not to mention WarioWare gold, and I still haven't even gotten half the games I missed out on

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Oh h*ck!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Red Warrior posted:

I'd say a Switch Pro that's directly analogous to the PS4 Pro/XB1X is not a bad idea. Games still support the base hardware, but run on the Pro and they do 1080p handheld, up to 1440p upscaled to 4k by Nvidia's Shield AI upscaling docked, maybe with HDR (which with Nintendo's art direction would be great).

There's no need for them to be targeting the same audience or compete with publisher attention for cut down versions of stuff for the next gen consoles, they have carved out their segment and do just fine without it, but incremental improvements to the hardware make sense even from a component sourcing perspective.

Every time this happens, games start showing up that run like absolute garbage on the base hardware and run fine on the "good" one. Devs have been making games for the Xbox One X and the PS4 Pro, offering compatibility with the base model, not making games for the One S and the Slim and then offering *more* with the X and Pro.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Takoluka posted:

Every time this happens, games start showing up that run like absolute garbage on the base hardware and run fine on the "good" one. Devs have been making games for the Xbox One X and the PS4 Pro, offering compatibility with the base model, not making games for the One S and the Slim and then offering *more* with the X and Pro.

Yeah, this is why I think no "pro" model is coming.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Small price to pay for better performance on the gooder model imo.

You may not like it but this is what peak console performance look like

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zurtilik posted:

Remember how many people sold their old Switch and upgraded to a red box almost instantly? That will 100% happen again if they put out a magenta box with a Switch that has slightly more fps and bigger screen.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

KingSlime posted:

Small price to pay for better performance on the gooder model imo.

You may not like it but this is what peak console performance look like

If $400 is a small price for you then yeah.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

FiestaDePantalones posted:

If I were going to give an Atelier game a try, having never even seen gameplay of any of the series, where should I start?
That's a source of debate even among the fans, but in short, for a more modern take, Atelier Ryza. For a more traditional JRPG either Rorona (with time management elements and whimsy), or Ayesha (with less time management elements and a little less whimsy).

Or have this lovely gran tell you which you might like: https://youtu.be/fg__LJIAn5o

It's a very cozy series and you really can't go wrong with anything, IMO. I'm so glad I tried it late last year. I'm already five games in now. I started with Ryza. (Here's the SA thread as well)

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 28, 2020

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Takoluka posted:

Eh I really think that's overblown. You look at say Sony's first party stuff in particular all runs incredibly well still on the original model, and I don't see that Nintendo would be any different about that in particular. A lot of the third party stuff that did have issues were mostly on the One, which already had bad performance in the first place on a lot of games originally released for it. We're at the point where we've been getting games like Control that can be rough, but those games having issues running on the current gen are arguably more a function that they are really designed for the actual next gen rather than the intermediate consoles.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Mega64 posted:

If $400 is a small price for you then yeah.

Sell your old console, man!! You don't need every generation of GBA + modded ones with IPS screens on permanent display.

Keeping the old one for a homebrew'd switch would be sick... But I also have a spare pixel 4a that I was going to turn into an emulation device and honestly I might be better off with that and a nice attachable controller

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I have a launch day Switch so I could be tempted to get a new one, assuming if it has enough upgrades to make the cost worth it.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

KingSlime posted:

Sell your old console, man!! You don't need every generation of GBA + modded ones with IPS screens on permanent display.

Keeping the old one for a homebrew'd switch would be sick... But I also have a spare pixel 4a that I was going to turn into an emulation device and honestly I might be better off with that and a nice attachable controller

I'm still dropping 150-200 easy. The resell value will sink if something that big comes out probably.

I'm not against the existence of a Switch Pro I just worry about the implications for the other versions, especially the Lite which can't dock at all.

I'd probably buy a Pro and give the Switch to my sticky handed stepkids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

I really liked Metroid II when I played it on the heels of Metroid. It's a neat game.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I have a launch day Switch so I could be tempted to get a new one, assuming if it has enough upgrades to make the cost worth it.

Same. Though I still think that the limited battery life is a good thing for my playing time. It presents me with a good hard limit to respect. Though I've noticed that Dragon's Dogma eats that battery like nothing else has in ages. FF VII-IX would let me play for hours without issue.

Honestly all I want is Joy-cons that aren't defective. I'd just buy those.