Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

quote:

Same. Though I still think that the limited battery life is a good thing for my playing time. It presents me with a good hard limit to respect. Though I've noticed that Dragon's Dogma eats that battery like nothing else has in ages. FF VII-IX would let me play for hours without issue.

Oh yeah, more than any other mobile I've used you can clearly tell which games suck your battery to death and which don't. I probably get like a minute and a half per percent playing Skyrim or Assassin's Creed vs. like 5+ hours if I play Collection of Mana or simpler indie games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'll get whatever the new one is since I'll just mod my old launch one before selling it and pretty much get enough money for whatever the new one will cost. Switch is my main console so even minor performance bumps would be worth it to me.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Red Warrior posted:

Eh I really think that's overblown. You look at say Sony's first party stuff in particular all runs incredibly well still on the original model, and I don't see that Nintendo would be any different about that in particular. A lot of the third party stuff that did have issues were mostly on the One, which already had bad performance in the first place on a lot of games originally released for it. We're at the point where we've been getting games like Control that can be rough, but those games having issues running on the current gen are arguably more a function that they are really designed for the actual next gen rather than the intermediate consoles.

My normal model PS4 can't run the latest Assassins Creed game at a playable frame rate. Having upgrades on a console sucks, especially when there is no indication a game will play badly on your model. One model is better because of situations like that.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Spacebump posted:

My normal model PS4 can't run the latest Assassins Creed game at a playable frame rate. Having upgrades on a console sucks. One model is better because of situations like that.

It's definitely going to be developer dependent, to be sure. Like I could trust them doing some Witcher 3 bump ups or putting like 25% more power into BoTW2 without shafting the mobile players. But then I can also see Ubisoft putting like Far Cry 4 and 3 on the Switch Pro and having it melt someone's Switch Lite.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
My only feature wish for a Switch pro would be VR support. Labo was a proof of concept, with a little better resolution and better tracking on the joycons you could easily have something on the level of the Oculus quest.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I don't want VR until I get Bradbury's The Veldt.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spacebump posted:

My normal model PS4 can't run the latest Assassins Creed game at a playable frame rate.
I don't know the particulars but I assume this is some hyper boll

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Bloop posted:

so what

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The downside to no upgrade is pretty obvious I'd think: as indie games get more advanced, there will eventually be a point where the switch can't run a good portion of exciting new indies coming out, let alone ports of even older AAA games. Already many indie games have performance issues at launch unless they're very low impact

That's a worse scenario to me than the latest assassin's creed being choppy on the original model

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The Bloop posted:

When you can't ride the horse more than 30 feet without the game pausing to load, it's unplayable.

Zurtilik posted:

It's definitely going to be developer dependent, to be sure. Like I could trust them doing some Witcher 3 bump ups or putting like 25% more power into BoTW2 without shafting the mobile players. But then I can also see Ubisoft putting like Far Cry 4 and 3 on the Switch Pro and having it melt someone's Switch Lite.

That's the problem. Some developers will be lazy won't make sure it runs well on all models. That's why I'd prefer one model. Consoles are already on short enough cycles where it makes more sense to wait until they make a new console instead of have new models.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm not normally one for buying upgrades to a system I already own, but that deal last year that let me trade in my original Switch and get a redbox Switch for just $100 was absolutely worth it for me. My launch Switch struggled to keep the joycons attached and the USB charging port on the dock stopped working. I looked at that $100 the cost to replace my dock, get functional joycon locks, and do a joycon refresh. The extra battery life was just more icing on the cake.

I feel a bit disingenuous about trading in a Switch with so many problems, but Gamestop did their check-it-out procedure before they bought it from me. The rear end in a top hat in me is saying, "they did their due diligence, it's on them now."

Anyway, that's the story about the only time I bought an upgraded version of a console. Maybe my logic can help some of you think about your own Switch situation?

JohnnyBme
Aug 21, 2020
Do I need to play any other Paper Mario's before Origami king?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nail Rat posted:

Oh hey my 2ds xl is coming today, loving pumped to be able to play all the games Nintendo won't put on the switch (not talking about the ones originally designed for DS systems). Gonna start off with both Metroid II and Samus Returns for a laugh.
Play Metroid II with the EJRTQ Colorization patch. It's such a good update.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Same. Though I still think that the limited battery life is a good thing for my playing time. It presents me with a good hard limit to respect. Though I've noticed that Dragon's Dogma eats that battery like nothing else has in ages. FF VII-IX would let me play for hours without issue.

Typically I play with my system plugged in, but a longer battery life is always appreciated.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Spacebump posted:

When you can't ride the horse more than 30 feet without the game pausing to load, it's unplayable.

you'll have to forgive us for assuming, this is after all the thread where people whinged for what seemed like months straight about occasional frame drops in link's awakening

KingSlime posted:

The downside to no upgrade is pretty obvious I'd think: as indie games get more advanced, there will eventually be a point where the switch can't run a good portion of exciting new indies coming out, let alone ports of even older AAA games. Already many indie games have performance issues at launch unless they're very low impact

you have to keep in mind that sometimes a game isn't choppy because it's too chunky for the system - sometimes it's just ported or even coded poorly

like sure the Switch might eventually lag too far behind specswise, but given what I've seen of video games this is not something that will happen in the next year or even the year after that

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh, also, in spite of the blasphemous Blasphemous chat earlier in this thread and because of the praise for Hyper Light Drifter, I bought two games this afternoon. Just in time for a rainy weekend. :)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Bleck posted:

you have to keep in mind that sometimes a game isn't choppy because it's too chunky for the system - sometimes it's just ported or even coded poorly

Sure but in this and all cases wouldn't better specs help? Being limited to older hardware doesn't make people or companies less lazy on its own

It also gives the good companies / developers more resources to work with

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

JohnnyBme posted:

I've only played the Wii one and the N64 one. But that experience tells me no.

They seem largely disperate and the way each plays changes notably, for better or worse.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

JohnnyBme posted:

No but you should since they’re good, except Sticker Star.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

KingSlime posted:

That's a worse scenario to me than the latest assassin's creed being choppy on the original model

Honestly, by the time that point comes, Nintendo will probably be ready to release the Switch PU or whatever they may have planned for their next console. I think it's going to take a few years for big-name indies to require high enough specs to melt your Switch, especially since the "indie" part usually suggests the games having simpler graphics and physics due to the smaller nature of those dev teams.

I don't really see the point of a mid-gen upgrade like the PS4 Pro myself, though I could see them doing another Redbox modification or two down the line, and perhaps mess with the physical console a bit, for example making less-lovely JoyCons or whatever.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

Raji, a light 3D indie game developed specifically for the Switch looks like it runs kinda lovely. I'm not sure if that's just developer incompetence or a sign of the struggles of working within the limitations of the Switch but either way as a consumer it's less than ideal.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm not normally one for buying upgrades to a system I already own, but that deal last year that let me trade in my original Switch and get a redbox Switch for just $100 was absolutely worth it for me. My launch Switch struggled to keep the joycons attached and the USB charging port on the dock stopped working. I looked at that $100 the cost to replace my dock, get functional joycon locks, and do a joycon refresh. The extra battery life was just more icing on the cake.

I did the upgrade but my new Switch has a single dead pixel that will haunt me to my dying day

Truly a Faustian bargain

JohnnyBme
Aug 21, 2020

Zurtilik posted:

I've only played the Wii one and the N64 one. But that experience tells me no.

They seem largely disperate and the way each plays changes notably, for better or worse.

SeANMcBAY posted:

No but you should since they’re good, except Sticker Star.

Aight, I'm gonna buy it then.
Well, it isn't surprising there's no plot continuity or anything like that, but I for sure would like to get into older paper mario some time in the future.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Fallom posted:

I did the upgrade but my new Switch has a single dead pixel that will haunt me to my dying day

Truly a Faustian bargain

While my replacement doesn't have a dead pixel, there is a speck of black dust trapped below the screen protector. The screen protector on my original Switch was the only protector I applied flawlessly in my entire life.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

Oh, also, in spite of the blasphemous Blasphemous chat earlier in this thread and because of the praise for Hyper Light Drifter, I bought two games this afternoon. Just in time for a rainy weekend. :)

Nice enjoy them. My gaming time is going to severely drop now that class is starting up again, but I think I had a very profitable summer. I beat four Final Fantasies and in between them beat AC: Black Flag, A Short Hike, TOME (on PC), Tangledeep, SMB 2, Voxelgram, Broforce, Sonic 1+2, and Streets of Rage 1-4. I also played a ton of Tetris 99, Mr Driller Land, and Fitness Boxing.

...Man I have not gone out at all this summer. I'll admit some of those were done in spring thanks to Covid sucking. Geeze.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I honestly don't like to sell my old game systems for "Improved Versions." This stems back from when I was a child and had to earn my game systems via good grades and such. I earned them and have good memories about that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spacebump posted:

That doesn't sound like a frame rate issue in any way but it does sound like bullshit to even make the game "playable" on that version if that's even a remotely accurate description

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Violet_Sky posted:

I honestly don't like to sell my old game systems for "Improved Versions." This stems back from when I was a child and had to earn my game systems via good grades and such. I earned them and have good memories about that.

I don’t have much room to do that unfortunately anymore so I always sell them, especially if a newer one has bc.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I just want everyone to know that Curious Expedition is on sale. It has only gone on sale once before so you should get it right away because its awesome:
https://www.dekudeals.com/items/curious-expedition?format=digital
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6fW-gqQhkE

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

JohnnyBme posted:

You won't be able to understand a huge chunk of the lore without playing sticker Star first

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

I hadn't even considered something like that. I freaking earned my Switch.

When the Switch released I was studying for two professional exams over the course of ~9 months. The final exam was in the fall and results were mailed out in December. I wanted a Switch but was waiting until I passed everything because a) I didn't want to distract myself while studying and b) I didn't want to distract myself while potentially studying to re-take one or both exams. When I got my final passing letter in December I yelled a lot about it at the end of my driveway, called my wife and yelled about it at her while still at the end of my driveway, then I calmed down enough to say "I think I'm finally buying a Switch!" and she said, "do whatever you have to."

So ten minutes later I was at Best Buy buying a Switch.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

I hadn't even considered something like that. I freaking earned my Switch.

When the Switch released I was studying for two professional exams over the course of ~9 months. The final exam was in the fall and results were mailed out in December. I wanted a Switch but was waiting until I passed everything because a) I didn't want to distract myself while studying and b) I didn't want to distract myself while potentially studying to re-take one or both exams. When I got my final passing letter in December I yelled a lot about it at the end of my driveway, called my wife and yelled about it at her while still at the end of my driveway, then I calmed down enough to say "I think I'm finally buying a Switch!" and she said, "do whatever you have to."

So ten minutes later I was at Best Buy buying a Switch.

I have a similar story except without the exams and replace "yelling in the driveway" with "yelling at random confused people at Wal-Mart every story beat of Mother 3 and explaining how the English release will save gaming from its current dying state".

They don't allow me at Wal-Mart anymore.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Anyway, posted this a couple hours ago and kinda want to see if anyone bit on the game and played it yet.

Mega64 posted:

Speaking of which, any thoughts on Windbound so far? I'm pretty tempted, but would love some opinions before I drop $30 on it.

I thought it had a brief bit of hype months ago and the concept certainly interests me, but there's potential for the game to be garbage so I'd rather check first.

If no one else does I might have to bite the bullet for myself...

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

Pretty sure I didn’t earn mine so much as my family just felt sorry for me and got it to make me feel better; they generally keep Christmas gifts small, clothes and trinkets and whatnot, but the year I broke my jaw and spent the holidays wired shut, they loaded me up with a Switch and a ton of accessories (but no games :v:)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Mega64 posted:

I have a similar story except without the exams and replace "yelling in the driveway" with "yelling at random confused people at Wal-Mart every story beat of Mother 3 and explaining how the English release will save gaming from its current dying state".

They don't allow me at Wal-Mart anymore.

RIP your Walmart privileges.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Wal-Mart isn't a privilege, it's a right.

Regardless I've been bitter about Wal-Mart's $10 off Switch games ever since.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Looking forward to playing Cyberpunk 2077 on my Switch Pro

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

I'm excited about this trailer for Bloodbowl 3, should be a fun game to play anywhere. Hopefully the switch version is released the same day as the others but it sounds like sometime early next year anyways.

https://youtu.be/fgxs7zcVf9g

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Steve Yun posted:

Looking forward to playing Cyberpunk 2077 on my Switch Pro

I don't care if it's 480p, I'll take it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Switch doesn't have enough free-hanging dong for my tastes.