Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You could probably fill an entire thread just with "Idiots on Social Media talking about Brexit".

You'd think the crap published by the S*n or Express is so stupid nobody would repeat it unless to ridicule, but without fail you see talking points brought up there reappear on social media and it's all so unbelievably stupid and stupid and stupid. It's exhausting how stupid it all is.

The idiots are literally the government of the UK at this point and pointless twitter grandstanding has long found its way in official negotiating verbiage, to the utter bemusement of EU negotiators. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

You could probably fill an entire thread just with "Idiots on Social Media talking about Brexit".

You'd think the crap published by the S*n or Express is so stupid nobody would repeat it unless to ridicule, but without fail you see talking points brought up there reappear on social media and it's all so unbelievably stupid and stupid and stupid. It's exhausting how stupid it all is.

The idiots are literally the government of the UK at this point and pointless twitter grandstanding has long found its way in official negotiating verbiage, to the utter bemusement of EU negotiators. :psyduck:

Sadly, many many people are quite stupid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I am very excited to reintroduce the continentals to the meaning of "the tans are at it again"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

sugar mouse posted:

Well depends on your point of view. For the working class, it was getting rid of the foreigners. For the middle class, they were largely tricked into thinking the economy might improve but also secretly glad the Muslims might get deported.

So you're saying for some of them it was racism, for others it was racism AND greed.

How are these people "reasonable-ish"-again?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You know it's true what that one meme says. I'll readily admit that America is a corrupt empire with a virtually non-existent social net that has on the whole done more harm than good to the rest of the world

And yet there's something deep inside my dna that sends a thrill through my body whenever I see the british get owned

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
my two cents of the "effing and dating across political lines " topic.

regressives also cant stfu about any hotbutton issue and turn everything into a culture war death battle they have to win.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

christmas boots posted:

You know it's true what that one meme says. I'll readily admit that America is a corrupt empire with a virtually non-existent social net that has on the whole done more harm than good to the rest of the world

And yet there's something deep inside my dna that sends a thrill through my body whenever I see the british get owned

I wish I had that recent tweet of piers morgan having a fit of apoplexy about some yank disrespecting the queen and the yank just basically tells him to gently caress off.

Like if there's one thing the US did good it was engendering a deep hatred for the monarchy and the fact that some people have not kept it up is IMO unforgivable.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I've always respected how the French took a really definitive stand on that issue.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

So you're saying for some of them it was racism, for others it was racism AND greed.

How are these people "reasonable-ish"-again?

You gotta start with the premise that within an inherently systemic racist society, it takes active work to fight against the deep racist ideas and therefore, even when we're trying to be progressive, we have to accept our own racism when we deal with anything relating to race. Taking from that point of view, I know very progressive people that get this. I also know a lot of people that aren't burning crosses but can't really understand systemic racism. For example, a large number of people here think that racism is bad, we don't have a problem here in the UK but also we have a problem with immigrants. They're not bad people, they're just not able to grasp that these three statements contradict each other.

Maybe it's the word 'reasonable' that's not right here. I mean that they're not fundamentally bad humans, they're just not smart enough to really grasp how systemic racism works.

Ugh ugh I'm becoming that guy that fills up this thread with discussions. I'll stop. Sorry folks, I'll come back only with good IOSM

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/GeraldoRivera/status/1299327387075850241

https://twitter.com/vulture/status/1299438772753510402

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
LeBron's son could and would beat the poo poo out of Barron Trump, and I say this not having any idea how old he is. My statement stands even if the kid is in kindergarten.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
QAnon has been spreading like wildfire around the Internet, but the idea of it spreading on LinkedIn feels like a joke somehow.
https://twitter.com/btdecker/status/1299451369296887809

Somewhere in that thread, there’s a grab of someone listing their occupation as “Q Researcher/Autist.” They use autist as a self-deprecating term of endearment picked up from edgy channers, but at least some of them think it’s an accepted term outside of their weird circle. I’ve seen another Q graphic declare “We are autists” in an otherwise straightforward explainer.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Aug 28, 2020

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ohh, so that's why everyone's talking about that dead-eyed botox golem

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I support fascism because I'm against fascists

https://twitter.com/sullydish/status/1299430625875820544

https://twitter.com/sullydish/status/1299441677451563010

https://twitter.com/sullydish/status/1299447358560796685

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Skwirl posted:

LeBron's son could and would beat the poo poo out of Barron Trump, and I say this not having any idea how old he is. My statement stands even if the kid is in kindergarten.

They're about the same age and Bronny is a highly touted basketball prospect so yeah

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

i'd hope lebron's son would be a better kid than to beat up a disabled person

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the Trumps have those weird long hanging arms he may have a lot of reach

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, fascism sure does dispense with law. Fascism has never once used law in its favor!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The speed with which Rowling went from "oh I didn't know this was transphobic I just liked it because it was feminist!" to "nevermind I'm actually transphobic" is incredible. Has to be a record run.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

The speed with which Rowling went from "oh I didn't know this was transphobic I just liked it because it was feminist!" to "nevermind I'm actually transphobic" is incredible. Has to be a record run.
Rapid Onset Gendercrit Dipshitery

she totally knew. even then her follows were full of TERFs

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

so what is it about britain that makes their celebs decide to launch into self-destructive transphobic episodes
because it seems to happen oddly regularly there

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

StillFullyTerrible posted:

so what is it about britain that makes their celebs decide to launch into self-destructive transphobic episodes

They have a wildly popular message board/website that's a proto-facebook called mumsnet somehow even more filled with boomers than normal facebook.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sugar mouse posted:

Well depends on your point of view. For the working class, it was getting rid of the foreigners. For the middle class, they were largely tricked into thinking the economy might improve but also secretly glad the Muslims might get deported.

For the wealthy, it meant they can avoid the big clamp down on corruption that the EU was putting in place. Because they're in control, they told everyone else that it would be great for the economy and hinted very strongly that we'd be able to get rid of all the people that are different.

Also lol at the concern posts.
My favourite contingent were the ones who didn't think it would pass and didn't want it to pass but voted leave to up the numbers and scare the EU a little.

Good job guys.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's absolutely been the greatest success for fascists to convince the world that liberals are as far left of the dial as you can possibly go.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Splicer posted:

My favourite contingent were the ones who didn't think it would pass and didn't want it to pass but voted leave to up the numbers and scare the EU a little.

Good job guys.

there were a lot of those in the UK Megathread in D&D, lol
"put a bit of a scare into those capitalist EU bastards"
"oh gently caress me"

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So Call of Duty put Reagan in their game, people are having fun:

https://twitter.com/KharloKong/status/1299224801161216000

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

there were a lot of those in the UK Megathread in D&D, lol
"put a bit of a scare into those capitalist EU bastards"
"oh gently caress me"

The only guy that did anything remotely like that was Tesseraction.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Anora posted:

So Call of Duty put Reagan in their game, people are having fun:

https://twitter.com/KharloKong/status/1299224801161216000

https://twitter.com/ViolateGeneva/status/1299002617889251329?s=19

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Stunt_enby posted:

far right that you actually need to worry about disavows and makes fun of shapiro, mostly because he's jewish and they're anti-semitic but also for making an rear end out of himself constantly

I have never seen someone so ashamed to wear a yarmulke as Ben Shapiro. I mean, I've never seen anyone ashamed to wear their yarmulke besides him, but he uses loving stealth technology to hide a tiny one on the back of his head. Just imagine the amount of mens hair dye he's going to slather on when he starts turning grey, his hair is going to look like a wet black cat. If it wasn't virtually invisible his career as an alt.right spokesman would probably be over in a matter of hours, and boy oh boy, don't he know it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Syd Midnight posted:

I have never seen someone so ashamed to wear a yarmulke as Ben Shapiro. I mean, I've never seen anyone ashamed to wear their yarmulke besides him, but he uses loving stealth technology to hide a tiny one on the back of his head. Just imagine the amount of mens hair dye he's going to slather on when he starts turning grey, his hair is going to look like a wet black cat. If it wasn't virtually invisible his career as an alt.right spokesman would probably be over in a matter of hours, and boy oh boy, don't he know it.

I honestly didn't know he wears a yarmulke.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Rapid Onset Gendercrit Dipshitery

she totally knew. even then her follows were full of TERFs

Oh yeah she totally knew it's just wild how quick she went from denying she knew to embracing it.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

Oh yeah she totally knew it's just wild how quick she went from denying she knew to embracing it.
It's been like almost 2 1/2 years tho since the "middle-aged moment"

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Syd Midnight posted:

Wait, are you saying he wears one regularly and just makes it as unnoticeable as possible? Why not just not wear it? I was under the impression that, outside the more conservative sects, wearing a yarmulke in your day-to-day life is kind of a personal choice thing for most Jewish people.

That's not to say Shapiro couldn't be a really conservative Jew, but I'd expect a different line of grift if that were the case.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I think you’ll find that Ben Shapiro is an incredibly ignorant and intellectually incurious person who is also desperate for the approval of people who literally want him dead.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
IIRC Ben is Orthodox and reeeeal smug about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The best theory I had was that a lot of second wavers actually got very big in academia here, and now they're the establishment and old and conservative and have a disproportionate amount of power and platform as a result.

It's really wild that they've basically reinvented all the poo poo that was slung against early feminists except it's now them saying it about anyone who doesn't conform to their idea of femininity.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 02:58 on Aug 29, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PhazonLink posted:

my two cents of the "effing and dating across political lines " topic.

regressives also cant stfu about any hotbutton issue and turn everything into a culture war death battle they have to win.

And course all they talk about is how leftists can’t stfu about VEGAN or OBAMA or RACISM

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pththya-lyi posted:

IIRC Ben is Orthodox and reeeeal smug about it.

His sister, Abby, runs a trad orthodox YouTube channel that's all about her being extremely conservative and anti-feminist and saying you're a slut if you don't cover as much skin as possible, in between making some of the worst food seen by mankind.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

That's not ramen, that's a crime scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

His sister, Abby, runs a trad orthodox YouTube channel that's all about her being extremely conservative and anti-feminist and saying you're a slut if you don't cover as much skin as possible, in between making some of the worst food seen by mankind.

What in the gently caress