Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Speaking of Metroid, Zelda fans have have been truly blessed over the last years.

Even if SS handled like a mentally challenged donkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The last Metroid game I played was on the Wii I think? I dunno, I prefer 2D Metroid- I find the SNES game was my favorite :shobon:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Gadzuko posted:

I like weapon durability but more rechargeable weapons like a permanent megaton hammer and boomerang for instance would be cool and feel very Zelda IMO.

Really the only thing I missed in BOTW was the Metroid element of constantly finding new things to permanently improve my abilities. Basically I just want more divine beast type abilities. Like a shrine that gives me fire power, and now I can light any weapon on fire so I don't have to cart around elemental weapons the whole game. Stuff like that.

Bust Rodd posted:

Not being able to drop certain things while playing (like fire rods or Korok leaves) is a glaring oversight, I will concede that point. Having to pause and access a menu just to let something go is RDR2 levels of clunky bullshit.

This exactly.

Kinda what I was trying to say but came across poorly. Like, why not channel WW and have your glider actually be a giant korok leaf, which you can also use for wind generation and puzzles? Add more funky moves via magic powers from dungeons to give more weird combat moves like Wind Waker, as well... charge a spin attack but then you jump to do a rising spin attack, smash style, which can launch stuff and also gives you air to then transition into a downstab that can knock most enemies over. Give me a few other things I can do with a perfect dodge instead of the rush, like if you dodge and then hit the throw button you will hookshot the enemy and can pull the weapon out of their hand or something.

Add the Megaton Hammer back in as a relic, same for the multi-target boomerang. Combine all that crap with stasis, cryonis, etc and give me even wilder puzzles where I need to freeze some water to raise a target, then stasis another moving target which brings them all in range of each other to throw the boomerang and ricochet between them to carry a blue flame to another torch which you already used the leaf to spin a lens so it makes a focused light beam that you then use your shield to reflect at an eye door or whatever. And that's just one of 6-8 puzzle rooms in one of the 8-12 dungeons. The dungeon retired me to collect a weird outfit and climb all over a ridiculous canyon finding keystones or some other macguffin just to open the door/reveal the place.

If you could marry that into BotW size world and climbing and whatnot, that would seriously be the perfect Zelda game.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 28, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I watched all the Other M cutscenes because I love Metroid and figured the game couldn’t really be that bad, could it and it’s legitimately worse than you’ve heard. I’m absolutely baffled that teams of people worked on this game and came away proud of it. It doesn’t stand up to Nintendo’s typical standards even remotely, it seriously looks and sounds and reads like a bad fan fiction about Samus having daddy issues.

IIRC even Nintendo quietly stated it’s not canon, but I might be making that up

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bust Rodd posted:

I would rather have the Grappling Hook from WW to be honest

Me too. Ripping stuff off enemies was the best fun.

Cartoon Man posted:

If a hookshot makes it into BOTW2, I would prefer it to primarily be used for combat with the occasional navigation use for secret areas. Hookshot combat could be amazing, stab someone with it like Scorpion and depending on the enemies weight you either zip over to him or zip him your way. Maybe sling him around in circles then release and use him as a wrecking ball into other enemies.

Tie it in with the Iron Boots, like in WW. They need to make a comeback too.

Also I've been replaying Rosy Rupeeland and how come that lets me cook up multiple doses of potions and whatnot at the same time and BotW doesn't? Phooey, I say!

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

I watched all the Other M cutscenes because I love Metroid and figured the game couldn’t really be that bad, could it and it’s legitimately worse than you’ve heard. I’m absolutely baffled that teams of people worked on this game and came away proud of it. It doesn’t stand up to Nintendo’s typical standards even remotely, it seriously looks and sounds and reads like a bad fan fiction about Samus having daddy issues.

I heard that rumor too but if we all just say it's not canon, then it isn't canon.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bust Rodd posted:

Breath of the Wild is absolutely a Zelda game and your definitions of dungeons are incredibly narrow and Hookshots peaked with Double Hookshot Spider-Man and the Shiekah Slate is a cooler and more interesting item than any other previous ones, IMO.

I would rather have the Grappling Hook from WW to be honest

Breath of the Wild could only be improved by the addition of a Grappling Hook or Hookshot/Clawshot or whatever. Grapple and launch off stuff like in Just Cause? Hell yeah sign me up!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Normally I'd pull for the hookshot, it's generally the coolest thing in a Zelda game, but in BotW I think the grappling hook might have the potential for some absurd physics tricks. Pull weapons right out of the monster's hands, hang from a ceiling and and start swinging just right to leap through a gap, stick one end in the ground and grab the other end with Magnesis and just trip fuckers all day, stick a bomb on the end and use it like an explosive flail. No wait, I've got it. Do the thing where you stasis launch a giant block, but hold onto it with the grappling hook and now you can parasail.

Edit: you can probably do most/all of this with the Hookshot but Wind Waker makes me thing of the grappling hook as the thing that lets you swing around while the hookshot was a much stiffer tool.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 28, 2020

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I like ideas for items that will enhance puzzles or exploration, like Fuzz was saying. I'm really comfortable with the weapons system as-is, but items synergizing more with combat would be cool.

Bust Rodd posted:

When the game came out, Nintendo was adamant that it was canon and the Prime trilogy was not, which is just hilarious.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The last Metroid game I played was on the Wii I think? I dunno, I prefer 2D Metroid- I find the SNES game was my favorite :shobon:

Well you certainly are not alone there, considering Super Metroid is widely considered to be one of the best video games of all time, and probably at least half of Metroid fans consider it their favorite.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
breath of the wild with a hookshot sounds just like just cause - fun for about five minutes

Bust Rodd posted:

the big thing was Yoshio Sakamoto saying "This is the story I've always had in mind for the character, so it doesn't matter if it conflicts with how you saw her."

like maybe you shouldn't have made eight games before that, idiot

and then he personally canceled the Metroid series as part of what I can only assume is some kind of bitch fit

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LMAO we all fell in love with his waifu and made her into a better character than he wanted, a tale as old as time.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The way I see a grapplehook working in BotW is less like Just Cause 2 and more like previous Zeldas. It'd only work on wooden objects it can pierce and long, narrow objects it can wrap around (although being fairly generous about what counts) so it'd reward being aware of objects in your environment.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
BotW2 will have the Hookshot. Tell me I'm wrong. We're going to be underground: climbing will only get you so far, you're going to have to repel down things, you're going to have to be able to get up things without running out of stamina. It's 100% going to be in the second game. With the general speculation that Link will have a prosthetic arm, throwing a hook in there (among other upgrades) seems like a no-brainer.

Speculation: The more I think about it, Nintendo could really pull a cool role-reversal where Zelda is the Protector for awhile. Assuming it's Link's sword hand that gets lost, he won't be as the fighter he once was and who knows, maybe the Master Sword won't work with a prosthetic/mystical hand. It resets Link for the sequel and Zelda will the main protagonist, maybe until she figures out a way to restore his hand. Or they tag-team the adventure where he's the utility but she's the fighter...

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Fuzz posted:

As for durability it's not that the system itself is annoying, it's that after 100+ hours it gets loving tiresome, particularly when you're fighting stuff with health bars so long that you break 4+ weapons beating them to death

I think, based on your subsequent reply, that this was essentially hyperbole, but can you confirm just so I can stop scratching a furrow into my head about what enemy you could possibly meet at that point in the game that required anything close?

The only problem I ever had with the weapon breaking system is that it didn't autoput another one into your hand when one broke. That would have been a small but nice QoL improvement (especially for bows, but I don't know why manually switching bows was more annoying to me than weapons, it just was). Otherwise, not only was the breaking never an actual problem, it led to a lot of combat situations that turned into a mad scramble that was ultimately way more interesting and fun than if it had just been "mash attack until dead".

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sarcastro posted:

I think, based on your subsequent reply, that this was essentially hyperbole, but can you confirm just so I can stop scratching a furrow into my head about what enemy you could possibly meet at that point in the game that required anything close?

The only problem I ever had with the weapon breaking system is that it didn't autoput another one into your hand when one broke. That would have been a small but nice QoL improvement (especially for bows, but I don't know why manually switching bows was more annoying to me than weapons, it just was). Otherwise, not only was the breaking never an actual problem, it led to a lot of combat situations that turned into a mad scramble that was ultimately way more interesting and fun than if it had just been "mash attack until dead".

It was hyperbole, but sometimes you actually do still have some junk rear end 30-40 damage weapons hanging around that you forgot about, and well you may as well break them on that Silver Lynel's face, so why not.

FooF posted:

BotW2 will have the Hookshot. Tell me I'm wrong. We're going to be underground: climbing will only get you so far, you're going to have to repel down things, you're going to have to be able to get up things without running out of stamina. It's 100% going to be in the second game. With the general speculation that Link will have a prosthetic arm, throwing a hook in there (among other upgrades) seems like a no-brainer.

Speculation: The more I think about it, Nintendo could really pull a cool role-reversal where Zelda is the Protector for awhile. Assuming it's Link's sword hand that gets lost, he won't be as the fighter he once was and who knows, maybe the Master Sword won't work with a prosthetic/mystical hand. It resets Link for the sequel and Zelda will the main protagonist, maybe until she figures out a way to restore his hand. Or they tag-team the adventure where he's the utility but she's the fighter...

gently caress that they're going full circle and making TP references with Link being a "Wolf" and it's all heavy handed Sekiro channeling.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 28, 2020

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Peak hookshot is justcause 2.

Let us have that in botw 2.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RickRogers posted:

Speaking of Metroid, Zelda fans have have been truly blessed over the last years.

Even if SS handled like a mentally challenged donkey

I know Other M gets just absolutely poo poo on but I've never really seen a major negative response to the "main" Metroid games. People have been begging for the Prime trilogy to be released for almost a decade.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I mean, just Zelda gets so much love as a series in comparison, a shame really.
Just give us the prime quadrilogy and release the Metroid 2 Remake and a 2d successor to fusion on switch and we'll be happy, I suppose.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been toying around with Arkham Knight again, and remembering that yes, having a quickfire grappling hook to shoot at people/grab stuff during fights is a good mechanic. So add that back in please.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My god the swimming in Oracle of Ages is terrible after you get the mermaid suit. Constantly tapping the d-pad to get around is wearing out my thumb - and there's so much swimming.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The best part about the grappling hook in WW was stealing items from enemies, let me use one to take rare materials or hidden undroppable equipment from monsters!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Alxprit posted:

The best part about the grappling hook in WW was stealing items from enemies, let me use one to take rare materials or hidden undroppable equipment from monsters!

Or grab their weapons then murder their pathetic unarmed asses.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alxprit posted:

Killing hynox by stealing their guts and toenails while you're fighting them

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Reminds me of pickpocketing the Briar Heart from those Briarheart guys to kill them without even trying.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
It's all fun and games until you miss a bokoblin and hookshot an exploding barrel into Link's face :supaburn:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Final Blog Entry posted:

It's all fun and games until you miss a bokoblin and hookshot an exploding barrel into Link's face :supaburn:

This is the post that actually convinced me that it's a good idea

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:same:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

pentyne posted:

I know Other M gets just absolutely poo poo on but I've never really seen a major negative response to the "main" Metroid games. People have been begging for the Prime trilogy to be released for almost a decade.

Other M is the only actually bad Metroid. The only ones that really get less positive reception are Fusion and Prime 3, both due their linearity (compared to other games). They're both still fantastic and heaps more open than most titles that claim to be a Metroidvania

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I would've thought Prime 2 was less well-loved, I could never get through it due to my dislike of dealing with environmental damage zones.

Much like a particular Zelda I similarly dislike :thunk:

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

I would've thought Prime 2 was less well-loved, I could never get through it due to my dislike of dealing with environmental damage zones.

Prime 2 was definitely the blue cheese of the trilogy. An acquired taste, but once you "get it", holy poo poo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RickRogers posted:

Prime 2 was definitely the blue cheese of the trilogy. An acquired taste, but once you "get it", holy poo poo.

I'd definitely give it another shot if it were easier to do without digging up an old console.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'd definitely give it another shot if it were easier to do without digging up an old console.

GameCube...old? Oh no. Time to die now I guess

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

prime 2 is liked less than 1 for sure but it's still clearly a metroid game. 3 gets more poo poo for kinda getting away from what people expect from the series.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RickRogers posted:

GameCube...old? Oh no. Time to die now I guess

Haha same. I should've said "console that is not currently plugged in and running" since I think I bought the trilogy for Wii U too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Bloop posted:

This is the post that actually convinced me that it's a good idea

Please start a petition to put me on the creative team for BotW2, I need the work.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Fuzz posted:

Please start a petition to put me on the creative team for BotW2, I need the work.

They'll just pay :10bux: and read the thread.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Other M was poo poo but all the Prime games are gold, even 3. The one thing 3 did poorly was put Samus into society at large, which felt weird. On the one hand, it was kinda cool seeing Colonial Marines do a full-scale invasion but on the other, Metroid has always been about isolation. Prime 2 took some getting used to but it had some cool payoffs. The original Prime is still the best though. Oddly, I felt cheated that you never actually fought Mother Brain and there were just allusions to her in the lore/info dumps in Prime (i.e. "Command")

But, to the degree that Metroid is like Zelda, there aren't any "bad" ones (except for Other M which I never played and forget it exists), just varying degrees of good ones.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

FooF posted:

Oddly, I felt cheated that you never actually fought Mother Brain and there were just allusions to her in the lore/info dumps in Prime (i.e. "Command")

Maybe we’ll get lucky and Prime 4 will be a stealth remake of the first game but with the 3D worlds, combat, and movement of Prime games.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

no. please. can we stop remaking metroid games and actually make new ones with new and cool environments and ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Amppelix posted:

no. please. can we stop remaking metroid games and actually make new ones with new and cool environments and ideas.

I would take a stealth remake of metroid 1 in the sense of BOTW being a stealth remake of zelda 1, that is, strip the premise down to the essence of what made it great, and then rebuild it from the foundation up without feeling like you're required to carry forward any specific prior conventions.