Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Putting together a site today ready for work on the weekend and the guys laying the metal pallets put one on a wasps nest. So we had to finish the site while angry wasps roamed around. Now I'm home and full of Chinese food to the point I cannot stand under my own power.

482: Amount of angry wasps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Any particular reason?

They wouldn't make him chairman.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miss the times when people like Breath Ray would get chased out of the thread. We've gone soft

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I'm looking for event space for the brewery I want to launch, and let me tell you, glancing at your phone to see messages saying "StoreFront has sent you a message" makes me double-take every time.

Naturally, I blame these forums.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

keep punching joe posted:

That and also he's a poo poo oval office.

If that was sufficient for Tories to resign there would be a government :sigh:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

forkboy84 posted:

Miss the times when people like Breath Ray would get chased out of the thread. We've gone soft

I haven't encountered them before they recently started posting in this thread but that's quite the rap sheet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have been deliberately biting my tongue because I thought I was supposed to try to be nice generally.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If this has been posted before then I missed it: https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/letsraisemore-for-refugees-than-farage-gets-likes

They're currently about £6k short. Obviously we know Britian is a hideously racist country hiding behind Legitimate Concerns About Immigration, but it'd be nice if they got a bit closer to the target.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Lady Demelza posted:

If this has been posted before then I missed it: https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/letsraisemore-for-refugees-than-farage-gets-likes

They're currently about £6k short. Obviously we know Britian is a hideously racist country hiding behind Legitimate Concerns About Immigration, but it'd be nice if they got a bit closer to the target.

Fortunately it's flexible funding, so they'll still get what's raised if it doesn't hit target. Obviously more is better though!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Saw a comment on a more Lib Dem forum than this one that tickled me a bit: "Labour should be pleased with the Tories' choice of Brexit negotiator. Now nobody can say they have the worst Tony or the worst Abbott in UK politics".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
mermaids is trending on twitter because thjey called out jk rowling nad its all horrible stuff so instead have this far funnier news

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1298526335493640192?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why is it called the lightning 2? It doesn't have anything to do with the EE lightning afaik?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Why is it called the lightning 2? It doesn't have anything to do with the EE lightning afaik?

Named for the Lockheed P-38 Lightning.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

OwlFancier posted:

As in P-38. It is american after all.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

OwlFancier posted:

It's a nod of the cap to the two previous aircraft. Marketing basically.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The P38 at least makes a bit more sense given how general purpose it was.

Naming the weird tries-to-do-everything plane after the single purpose "go fast up kill bombers" plane would be especially weird.

Also from the P38 wikipedia page, best name for a pilot ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Bong

MAJOR DICK BONG

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

mermaids is trending on twitter because thjey called out jk rowling nad its all horrible stuff so instead have this far funnier news

They're apparently looking to divert resources to the BAE Systems Tempest, which will definitely not be an even more hilarious boondoggle, honest.

quote:

Tempest will be able to fly unmanned, and use swarming technology to control drones. It will incorporate artificial intelligence deep learning and possess directed-energy weapons. Another piece of technology being designed into Tempest is so-called Cooperative Engagement Capability, the ability to cooperate on the battlefield, sharing sensor data and messages to coordinate attack or defence. Tempest will feature an adaptive cycle engine and a virtual cockpit shown on a pilot's helmet-mounted display. A generator that delivers "unprecedented levels" of electrical power has also been developed for the aircraft.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It's got at least one thing in common.

Jose posted:

Christ it's a sea of terf when she literally called for "a proper exploration of the factors that lead to" gender dysphoria with an eye to 'curing it' and called affirmation a worse alternative to a 'cure', as if the past decades weren't full of terrible attempted 'cures' that ended up far worse than affirmation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder what the cure to people being forced into the wrong gender performance could be :infinitelyexpandingthunkface:

I demand a full investigation into the causes of people going ow when I kick them in the gonads with a view to finding a cure for gonad pain.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Jose posted:

Lmao isn’t 70 the capacity of a single carrier? The carrier we have two of?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
You'll never have two out, one will cover while the other is along side.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Lol I saw this yesterday, particularly like the tweet from the TV licensing authority trying to DM them as if the person in charge of Kew Gardens has literally no idea what's going on and how to handle it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I can't believe you'd get 70 of those on one of the carriers we're getting?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Speaking of shipbuilding, Labour seem to have done a good thing and are pushing for the new fleet support ships to be built in the UK rather than put to international tender.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But apparently you can! Not sure how wise it would be to put every single plane weve got on the one ship though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

France I think only has shy of 200 combat jets in the entire airforce with 110 rafales which I guess would be the most equivalent in terms of function and age, so 70 is a bit small if they're planning to replace every jet in the RAF but not a small number overall.

On the other hand the french planes 1. exist and 2. fly so they might have the advantage.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

In, not just on, they have a big lift on the end that lets you stuff the inside of the carrier with planes too, they can pack them in like sardines.

E: Bobby why did you not post this in here??

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 28, 2020

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Speaking of shipbuilding, Labour seem to have done a good thing and are pushing for the new fleet support ships to be built in the UK rather than put to international tender.

these boondoggle ships can go so wrong i think the americans have now decided to buy a whole fleet of destroyers from the italians as their own program just kept producing garbage ships which somehow melted in saltwater

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
What do we want planes for? We need boats with a tow rope on the back to drag all the dinghies back to Islamland.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Buying less of those lovely planes is a good thing. I really thought they were gonna go through with it but you can always depend on the British military acquisitions system to freak the gently caress out when it realised that yes, it does have to actually pay for those things it ordered.

Saying that we did actually go through with building two useless non-nuclear super carriers. Love my force projection system to be dependent on oil in an unstable world.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Regarde Aduck posted:

Buying less of those lovely planes is a good thing. I really thought they were gonna go through with it but you can always depend on the British military acquisitions system to freak the gently caress out when it realised that yes, it does have to actually pay for those things it ordered.

Saying that we did actually go through with building two useless non-nuclear super carriers. Love my force projection system to be dependent on oil in an unstable world.

Several decades of fuel use is cheaper than a nuclear reactor along with the maintenance that goes along with it, they still have to return to port for overhauls etc. They're cheaper in theory, even with fluctuations in the price of fuel.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The reactors would be Rolls Royce modulars that pay back into the economy though. And potentially the same extended family of small modulars that have been operated by dangerously intoxicated submariners since 1963 without serious incident.

That still pays into an SMR power grid program even if it makes the ships themselves more costly over their lifespans.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But apparently you can! Not sure how wise it would be to put every single plane weve got on the one ship though.

The carriers can carry a max of 36 F-35Bs and 4 choppers each. The hangers and flight deck are roomy in my hungover opinion, but not that roomy

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Load capacity is 72 aircraft, obviously not operationally viable, I think that's a maximum of 40 f35s

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Several decades of fuel use is cheaper than a nuclear reactor along with the maintenance that goes along with it, they still have to return to port for overhauls etc. They're cheaper in theory, even with fluctuations in the price of fuel.

yes global warming is cheaper than no global warming, what a good argument

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

It's worth looking at our nuclear submarine problem. We've been taking them out of service then balking at the cost of properly decommissioning them. The end result is a slow stockpiling of old nuclear submarines, currently totaling 20 compared to the seven we have in service.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jaete posted:

yes global warming is cheaper than no global warming, what a good argument

The idea of an ecologically friendly aircraft carrier is... terrifyingly dystopian, IMO.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Load capacity is 72 aircraft, obviously not operationally viable, I think that's a maximum of 40 f35s

So at current maintenance rates that's between 4 and 8 actually ready to fly at any one time. RULE BRITANNIA!.

Guavanaut posted:

The reactors would be Rolls Royce modulars that pay back into the economy though. And potentially the same extended family of small modulars that have been operated by dangerously intoxicated submariners since 1963 without serious incident.

That still pays into an SMR power grid program even if it makes the ships themselves more costly over their lifespans.

Given one of the main safety features of submarine nuclear reactors is that if poo poo goes badly wrong they'll be safely at the bottom of the Norwegian Sea, I'm not 100% happy with them being the go-to solution for land-based generation.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The idea of an ecologically friendly aircraft carrier is... terrifyingly dystopian, IMO.

Chuck out the F35s, navalise Project Pluto and we can have the first carbon-neutral force-projection capability since Watt started loving around with kettles.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Build it in central london and you can have the same safety feature in a few decades.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Chuck out the F35s, navalise Project Pluto and we can have the first carbon-neutral force-projection capability since Watt started loving around with kettles.

I don't need a nuclear powered tory 2, thank you, the current ones are bad enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Build it in central london and you can have the same safety feature in a few decades.

Lol that you think we won't use the bones of everyone who has a two-letter postcode to build Thames Barrier 2: This Time We're Serious.