Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

actually it isn't telling at all besides jeddit is a dumbass?

o
k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

keldon posted:

it was just a quest to prove someone wrong on the Internet.

you fit right in here!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I suspect digital sales are always tougher in the sense that people who own the tabletop version are going to always be up against some amount of feeling as though they are "buying the game twice".

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Flip side is that it's a much less expensive way to test a game than buying it yourself. For 5-10 bucks each, I learned that I had no desire to actually buy and play Burgle Bros, Isle of Skye, Street Masters, and more. Very fair trade off, though most apps don't do a great job of actually teaching their games.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

Buying it on iOS lets you play on the TV if you have Apple tv, or cast it to a smart tv, and will also be playable on any mac laptop or desktop with the next version of Mac OS and apps go universal. So if the screen you play it on matters, iOS is actually the best option because it covers all bases.

Not everyone should have to go through the extra steps. Thus the pricing is not reflective of the limitations and thus in my opinion should be reduced. I don't have Apple TV and have no plans to get it or especially pay for it. One thing I need to be clearer on is that I'm not against whatever pricing they put up for a game. I just think for my existing setup paying the same on iOS as I would on PC is not acceptable for me and my budget.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What limitations? It's the full game, the full code, and the full experience.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the full experience of a game involves spending a minimum of 2 hours creating a custom storage solution. so I'm actually getting less value when I buy an app that automates everything

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
When can I get an app that simulates popping cardboard and rummaging through my stock of baggies to find one that's the perfect size for the pieces I want to group together?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

What limitations? It's the full game, the full code, and the full experience.

I've already stated them BL. You're saying if I have this that and the other, then the experience is the same. Well I don't want to pay for Apple TV, I don't want to learn how to hook my IPad up to a TV. In my opinion that's a significant limitation for a game I can play on my computer with its 24" monitor. Sure it's fine I guess if you already have all of the stuff, but I don't, and won't.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The game is available on those platforms so you have freedom to choose what fits your tastes best. I'm trying to understand the logic of why an iOS app can't be the same price as the game on other platforms. Your form factor preference is no different than someone saying a Switch game should cost X instead of Y because they can't play it on their monitor.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

The game is available on those platforms so you have freedom to choose what fits your tastes best. I'm trying to understand the logic of why an iOS app can't be the same price as the game on other platforms. Your form factor preference is no different than someone saying a Switch game should cost X instead of Y because they can't play it on their monitor.

I think the phrase is 'what the market will bear'

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aramoro posted:

I think the phrase is 'what the market will bear'

Pretty much.

Now, I'm seeing people here saying that the Roll app costs $10. That's about what I paid for the Race app; I'd pay the same without complaint for Roll. But that's not what it costs on the UK store:

Are Google being greedy shits again and jacking up the price in the UK?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Ok so as mentioned, the market doesn't seem to reflect their pricing. Again, they can charge whatever the hell they want. However, the reason for example that Roll for the Galaxy doesn't cost as much as the board game is that you get a lesser experience. Which is what I'm saying about Civ on the IPad, out of the box you get a lesser experience. Just to note, Civ 6 went on sale at the end of 2018 and I got it for $30, a far more reasonable price for me and my budget.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Civ 6 went on sale on iOS for $5 for the full game too, so I don't think sale prices are really relevant to the discussion. Civ 6 on a tablet is not a lesser experience.

I don't know the last time I bought a $60 video game either, but there's nothing wrong with their prices being uniform across platforms if the game is complete.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Where is the dang mage knight app?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

sonatinas posted:

Where is the dang mage knight app?

Where is the dang dungeon lords app? Which was an unlocked tier in the Kickstarter and has never appeared.

And for that matter where is the dang Tash kalar app? It was designed as a computer game from the outset.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

VLAAAAAAAAAAAAADA INTENSIFIES

:krakken:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Beffer posted:

Where is the dang dungeon lords app? Which was an unlocked tier in the Kickstarter and has never appeared.

And for that matter where is the dang Tash kalar app? It was designed as a computer game from the outset.

Those two at least have decent to good online implementations with rules. Mage Knight has nothing!!

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

silvergoose posted:

Those two at least have decent to good online implementations with rules. Mage Knight has nothing!!

There’s a TTS mod for Mage Knight but that’s it.

I love all of Vlaada’s games, but the only one with a solid iOS implantation is Galaxy Trucker. Thankfully, it is the absolute best board game iOS ever produced.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Aggro posted:

There’s a TTS mod for Mage Knight but that’s it.

I love all of Vlaada’s games, but the only one with a solid iOS implantation is Galaxy Trucker. Thankfully, it is the absolute best board game iOS ever produced.

I specified with rules, yeah.

Is the TTA app not on iOS?

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Keldon, I remember playing your app a long time ago before board game apps were a thing. I was really impressed with how smoothly it ran even with multiplayer online and how fast and good the AI was. It's still a gold standard for how board game apps with AI should be, in my opinion.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

silvergoose posted:

I specified with rules, yeah.

Is the TTA app not on iOS?

Ah, it’s an iPad only one that I didn’t see when I searched.

Edit: or I just overlooked it when searching specifically for it and not just “Vlaada”

I haven’t played Through the Ages, but maybe I’ll mow a lawn or recycle some cans or walk a dog and buy the $10 app on my $200 tablet in order to have a digital copy representing hundreds of hours of innovation and labor.

Aggro fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 29, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TTA is on iphone as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

My group are starting to talk about resuming face-to-face meetings in September. I am ... unsure.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The TTA app is incredibly good. I've never played the physical copy but it seems like it would be excruciating.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

misguided rage posted:

The TTA app is incredibly good. I've never played the physical copy but it seems like it would be excruciating.

In my youth I played it a few times live and it's fine if everyone knows the rules, but that's a pretty big ask for any given game in general.

Mage knight is longer in person though, especially 4p.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

My group are starting to talk about resuming face-to-face meetings in September. I am ... unsure.

Aren't you in the plague capital of Scotland though?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You don't get to be the plague capitol without a few meetups.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Jedit posted:

September 2021? Sounds optimistic, but not impossible.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jedit posted:

In May, a kinda rightwing dude who runs a game night that I sometimes go to asked in the guild "Soooo open up anytime soon? Anyone want to come over?" which I and others responded with, more or less, "Are you out of your goddamn mind"

and then he asked again early this month.

MA is an okay state plague wise but still wtf

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

One of my groups is potentially going ahead next week, as it appears relatively safe to be doing so where I am; NSW, Aus.
Unfortunately I cannot have certain people in that group over because they are teachers from 'high risk areas', who have had confirmed cases around them, and :laffo: gently caress that sorry lads.

I've been absolutely loving fiending for another round of Feast for Odin.

Potentially looking at planning a massive Twilight Imperium 8 player day as well in December, depending on the launch date of Prophecy of Kings.
(But :laffo: planning anything more than 1-2 weeks away)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Florida is still at 4,000 cases a day. Last big gaming day I had was Escape Winter con in February and at this rate it’ll probably be 2021 before we can safely have a gaming get together. :smith:

We’ve been playing Psychic Pizza Deliverers via FaceTime with friends and no one has won in 20 turns yet so we’ve made every round a race to see who delivers first. The best we’ve done is 24 turns :v:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The gradiation from Covid Agoraphobia to Covid Hoax is crazy. I say as long as you are low risk and keep group small, play away. I am more at risk at work than with 2-4 friends.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

djfooboo posted:

The gradiation from Covid Agoraphobia to Covid Hoax is crazy. I say as long as you are low risk and keep group small, play away. I am more at risk at work than with 2-4 friends.

Unless you can trace every member of that group exposing yourself to more vectors is almost a linear increase of exposure risk, especially sharing close indoor quarters. It’s not just 2-4 friends, it’s everyone they’ve come in contact with for the past 5-10 days, and you’re exposing them to the people you work with too.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Yes, but are those friends consistently just going to work then coming back home? Do they have to visit multiple places a day? Are they in a high risk profession? etc etc.
Where I am we had 14 cases yesterday, but these are still things to consider.

I straight up do not under any circumstances want to catch this bloody thing.

The only Pandemic I want is to be played at the table :v:

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 29, 2020

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I work in public health, I know how it works. I just value my autonomy enough to allow for some recreation with like-minded people. We are social creatures and need people in our lives besides immediate family.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Infinitum posted:

One of my groups is potentially going ahead next week, as it appears relatively safe to be doing so where I am; NSW, Aus.
Unfortunately I cannot have certain people in that group over because they are teachers from 'high risk areas', who have had confirmed cases around them, and :laffo: gently caress that sorry lads.

I've been absolutely loving fiending for another round of Feast for Odin.

Well, yeah, I'm dying to get a game of something, but I'm not dying to get a game of something. The shop where we meet is still working out the details - I'm told they've removed a couple of tables and are hardcore enforcing safety rules - but I may give this first meet a miss and see how it goes.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I live in a county that has only had 150 cases for the entire pandemic so far. 60 of those were in the local nursing home. The two guys who I play games, me and my wife are all work from home and only go to the grocery store. We haven’t played games at all since last December for obvious reasons but we are considering maybe tryIng a day soon. I’m very paranoid about it so I probably won’t but it’s very tempting with how careful all of us have been during the whole thing.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I just started doing a monthly board game day again with a group of four friends, all of which work from home, and all of which agreed that this would be their only social interaction. And we wear masks while playing, and never get closer than the opposite corners of the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gonna launch a kickstarter for some plotting rods :hmmyes: