Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
3rd attempted, different weapon setup again, again made it to the second fight without an ammo drop for one characters weapon, and they start with no extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

This game has a lot of technical problems. I thought about making a long post listing everything but I didn't want to be a :words: party pooper.

It sucks because there's a good game (buried) in there.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah my patience for buggy/poorly running pc games is preeeeeety low these days.

I'll keep pushing, but these load times with the areas as small as they are are really starting to annoy me now that I'm traveling between places a bunch.

Most of the glitchy crap I've seen so far has been cosmetic thankfully, and a few random performance tanks for no apparent reason.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, the loading times are a big part of it. I hope the game can be patched quickly, if at all.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
I'm still relatively early but I think I might have trapped myself with maxing awareness first for a sniper character. Screwing around in the first fight it looks like max cooridnation is the way to go? That being said the game kind of just throws attribute points at you so I guess it doesn't really matter.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Coordination has different breakpoints for different weapons. Unless you do a stupid build like I described I think you probably only need 4 coordination, which let's you fire the sniper rifle once. If you have 6 or 8, you can still only fire it once and those points don't do too much for you

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

victrix posted:

Yeah my patience for buggy/poorly running pc games is preeeeeety low these days.

I'll keep pushing, but these load times with the areas as small as they are are really starting to annoy me now that I'm traveling between places a bunch.

Most of the glitchy crap I've seen so far has been cosmetic thankfully, and a few random performance tanks for no apparent reason.
all of these problems seem to be pretty common for big unity engine crpgs.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

terrorist ambulance posted:

Coordination has different breakpoints for different weapons. Unless you do a stupid build like I described I think you probably only need 4 coordination, which let's you fire the sniper rifle once. If you have 6 or 8, you can still only fire it once and those points don't do too much for you

8 lets you fire twice every other turn thanks to retaining, though I can count on one hand the number of fights my SM sniper fired three times.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Oh dear God what have I done

I chose to help Brygo, so my armory is staffed by monsters and a guy named Joey Bagadonuts. I feel like that's a win. HOWEVER. I also recruited Irv and made a clone of a party member and its now part my my squad? I don't know how to feel about this.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Love this game. Is anyone having black screen issues with it though? I've reached the Bizarre, and I've had two black screens in combat in this section only. I updated my GPU drivers but it still persists.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Yeah load times are rough in this game.

That said I do find it a bit funny that this game has some of the best facial animations/lip syncing I have ever seen, not something I expect from this kinda game.

Minus the load times im a few hours in and having a lot of fun so far. Heavy weapons are the real deal.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Game is unplayably buggy and it sucks because when it works it's fun.

Trying to play co-op with a friend and getting repeatedly slammed with a bug that deletes all quest progress from your log completely, which basically entirely breaks the game! The only way around it is to obsessively check the quest log and save like a paranoiac every 5 seconds to make sure I have backup saves to make sure our entire game isn't completely hosed. This also has the awesome side effect of sometimes we don't notice it's broke until we spend 10-15 minutes doing a fight, then after the fight discovering that all our quests are gone and we have to reload and redo the fight. It also happens CONSTANTLY, like once every 10-15 minutes. When you add the horrible load times, even on SSD, it makes the experience just atrocious.

I can't believe a bug this completely game breaking is in the release version of this game.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

Game is unplayably buggy and it sucks because when it works it's fun.

Trying to play co-op with a friend and getting repeatedly slammed with a bug that deletes all quest progress from your log completely, which basically entirely breaks the game! The only way around it is to obsessively check the quest log and save like a paranoiac every 5 seconds to make sure I have backup saves to make sure our entire game isn't completely hosed. This also has the awesome side effect of sometimes we don't notice it's broke until we spend 10-15 minutes doing a fight, then after the fight discovering that all our quests are gone and we have to reload and redo the fight. It also happens CONSTANTLY, like once every 10-15 minutes. When you add the horrible load times, even on SSD, it makes the experience just atrocious.

I can't believe a bug this completely game breaking is in the release version of this game.

Which version is this?

I keep asking because I haven't run into any bugs yet on PC steam (single player tho). I wonder if there's a more buggy version out there or if I'm just lucky

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Which version is this?

I keep asking because I haven't run into any bugs yet on PC steam (single player tho). I wonder if there's a more buggy version out there or if I'm just lucky

Game pass.

I'm reasonably certain it's a co-op related bug.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
So that's 2 posters with some lovely game pass issues

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
man I hope there's some payoff to going around arresting everybody

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Are payasos unambiguous hostiles? I'm always hesitant to shoot people in games like this for fear they're a faction I'll miss off somehow

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

According to the reddit, the coop multiplayer progress wiping bug is apparently also happening on console(as well as some assorted console game crashes).

Haven't seen a report about the progress wiping happening in singleplayer.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Are payasos unambiguous hostiles? I'm always hesitant to shoot people in games like this for fear they're a faction I'll miss off somehow

They're one of the gangs that the Patriarch battled to take over Colorado.

They're also the Killer Clowns from Fountain of Dreams.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

I think 8 AP is a good sweet spot for sniper since it lets your mark and shoot in one turn. My sniper is also my leadership character and I gave her 10 charisma and a couple of points of first aid so she's always buffing up the rest of the party by constantly blowing someone away or picking up a dead teammate.

doingitwrong posted:

Heavy Weapon with Serial Killer means you can take A LOT of shots. I nearly killed the robot thing (on Ranger) before the lady got the big gun fixed.

I try to switch between machine gun and flamethrower with my heavy weapons guy pretty often. Also unless I feel certain I can get a kill that turn I basically exclusively use ambush for the extra hit chance.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm just going to keep arresting literally everyone this game lets me arrest, in my own base. There is no way this can backfire. Not even at the inevitable base assault that always happens in these games.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
8ap cha sniper sounds good too. Dang maybe I'll reroll again. What other builds are people doing

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
High cha sniper using rally all the time is a nice support build

Personally, I went max coordination on mine, and will do luck next. 11AP with sniper and small arms means you can shoot your rifle, follow up with a pistol, reserve 2AP, then shoot your rifle twice next turn. I'm hoping to find some item that gives +1AP so that I can just fire the sniper rifle twice at the start of combat. 4 revolver shots are real good too, if you wanna build a gunslinger type character. Low AP weapons seem pretty strong with high coordination builds.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm just going to keep arresting literally everyone this game lets me arrest, in my own base. There is no way this can backfire. Not even at the inevitable base assault that always happens in these games.

I hope I can sell them into slavery or... perhaps something even more sinister?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

and we'll keep on fightin'... cuz there's wrongs that need rightin'

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So I noticed Level 2 requires 400 XP, level 3 requires 1100, while level 4 requires 1400. Does this mean level 5 is gonna need 2100? Is the XP requirement per 2 levels static?

I'm curious because if it is static then investing a bit in Charisma for the XP bonus may be a good idea generally. Usually XP requirement increases constantly per level and the XP bonus would barely do anything since it takes too long to give you a return on your investment.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
It's not surprising given the time between the two, but this feels so much slicker and smoother than WL2. And starts off in a less cold way. I'm sure there are still a ton of ways to gently caress your builds in the early - mid game and bugs but eh that comes with these smaller studio games.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

BULBASAUR posted:

So that's 2 posters with some lovely game pass issues

Anecdotally I am on Gamepass and I haven't hit any issues thus far. Though I'm maybe not as far in as the other 2 are. Worst I've gotten is slightly long load times.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is there a button that lets you move the camera to a spot on the map from the map screen? The camera is just slow enough i would like to just say "here is what i want to investigate" click the map and the camera is now looking at that spot. You could do that in Wasteland 2.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
October-11 boy the make it hard not to kill a child, but we know the truth, all synths must die

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

October-11 boy the make it hard not to kill a child, but we know the truth, all synths must die

:hmmyes:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I am fairly sure you are meant to apply the "sneaky poo poo" sneak attack bonus to a sniper or something, but using it on my all-melee Gigantic Andre the giant wannabe and having him charge up into a group and crowbarring someones head in with the sneak attack bonus to start the fight is the only way I want it :unsmith:

Also if you wanna make an all melee char I highly suggest the quirk that gets you +5hp per level, but you can't be revived in a fight. My melee dude has basically double the HP of everyone else in my group with that and his strength giving him more inherent HP. Plenty of times he only wasn't downed due to those extra hitpoints.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Longshot but anyone got Shinkawa art, particularly of the Cobra unit from MGS3 that I could use as portraits for this? I'm having a real hard time finding stuff that's high res enough.

The Fury and The End are kinda crying out to me.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 29, 2020

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

BULBASAUR posted:

man I hope there's some payoff to going around arresting everybody

It's topical I guess

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Decision paralysis strikes again while I sit on the character creation screen. Feeling a big guns medic and a sniper leader, do I get the ability to fill in gaps in skills fairly quickly?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You can make any number of custom rangers of your level, so you can, for example, make an armor and weapon mod skill monkey who just sits at the base and you only bring out to work on your gear between missions.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

...There's no auto-pathing so your non-controlled guys avoid mines you've already uncovered :what:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

blizzardvizard posted:

...There's no auto-pathing so your non-controlled guys avoid mines you've already uncovered :what:

That's in, like, every RPG, and the most annoying thing of all time.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddammit, I wasted skill points in weapon modding when the second companion already has it. I hope someone comes up with a save editor soon, grumble grumble

EDIT: Also the second companion has a really lovely stat spread for her weapon of choice. I suppose it's to compensate for her unique being actually pretty drat good for its level

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 29, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So as it turns out the new recruits you can get at base are not quite at the highest character level, I think it's an average or something. It does let me occasionally recruit new rangers at higher levels than some of mine, so my customs are now rather significantly outpacing the recruitables. Since the new guys obviously don't get the benefit from skill books this will eventually drop off in utility, but it's hilarious that they let you do it anyways.

Also making a dedicated "open up everything" character means that one character is getting way more exp than everyone else. Even my max charisma leader. I now wish I had made my max Cha Leader the master of unlocking just to see how stupidly higher than everyone else I could make his level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm just baffled that after making something as modern and sophisticated as Bard's Tale 4 they would actually double down on the skill bloat of Wasteland 2 when they were making this.