Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm sorry you have to go through that.

My parents set up an LLC for their assets and a power of attorney over their medical needs (I am secondary for both of them after each other, if that makes sense). My sis and I will get assets should they pass, but maybe I should look into getting some access to their accounts. My dad does the finances, but is losing it a bit. My mom is double checking his work, but this isn't something she's cared about before and its hard for her to learn now in her late 60's. Most of the time is her calling me and asking if I can do it, which I could if she gave me her passwords, but I have fundamental reservations over having unrestricted access to peoples' accounts. For now I deal with visiting them (which I am limiting these days for obvious reasons), logging into their PC with Chrome Remote Desktop (so they can see what I am doing), or, usually, letting my sis deal with it (which she doesn't really have the time for).

It'd be a lot simpler if they didn't have a credit card for basically every store that offers one (:wtc:). But at least they only have two bank accounts (:psyduck:).

EDIT: Bad snipe, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

Lots of states have filial obligation laws, but they're rarely, if ever, enforced, and I think only once has it been tested in court (in PA). Ones I've looked up tend to be very specific in the scenarios that they apply, and personal debt is not generally one of the scenarios.

There you go, I didn't realize it. Either way they're hosed up. Kids can't choose their parents.

Gaj posted:

Its both, she also gets frustrated with any prolonged conversation, and has bladder control issues. Her MS along with the 12 medications and various painkillers she takes also sometimes makes her especially ill, like right now. She wont be able to talk much, is in significant pain. And at worst she may just go into a fugue state for a week or 2. On wensday she said "arrange for PoA" today she just said "no". Ill wait until shes a bit more clear headed to begin.

There is significant evidence to show she cant take care of her own finances and that her mental capacity is diminished, but she will fight that with a full lawyer if I dont take a soft touch.

Good luck. this sucks. Time is of the essence here because the more incompetent she gets mentally the harder it is to have things stand up. If you want someone declared incompetent it's a whole different ballgame, and if they have the mental power to fight back on it then it's an even further uphill battle, perhaps insurmountably so, but that's up to your attorney, her attorney, and probably your dads as well. The burden of proof is very high to deprive someone of control over their life.

Uthor posted:

My parents set up an LLC for their assets

Isn't what they want a trust? (Serious question.)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Uthor posted:

I'm sorry you have to go through that.

My parents set up an LLC for their assets and a power of attorney over their medical needs (I am secondary for both of them after each other, if that makes sense). My sis and I will get assets should they pass, but maybe I should look into getting some access to their accounts. My dad does the finances, but is losing it a bit. My mom is double checking his work, but this isn't something she's cared about before and its hard for her to learn now in her late 60's. Most of the time is her calling me and asking if I can do it, which I could if she gave me her passwords, but I have fundamental reservations over having unrestricted access to peoples' accounts. For now I deal with visiting them (which I am limiting these days for obvious reasons), logging into their PC with Chrome Remote Desktop (so they can see what I am doing), or, usually, letting my sis deal with it (which she doesn't really have the time for).

It'd be a lot simpler if they didn't have a credit card for basically every store that offers one (:wtc:). But at least they only have two bank accounts (:psyduck:).

EDIT: Bad snipe, sorry.

My parents set up a trust, thankfully they're both fully with it and should have plenty of time more.

They did it after going through the absolute hell of their own parents' estates. All my grandparents died within a year or two of each other, and there was a lot of scrambling in the preceding years to make sure they could afford care and not lose their houses.

"We don't want you to go through what we did" and I constantly thank them for it every time it comes up

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

H110Hawk posted:

Isn't what they want a trust? (Serious question.)

Yes, sorry. Wrong term. I vaguely remember it being named something like "name name LLC", but I could be wrong. It is a trust.

DarkHorse posted:

My parents set up a trust, thankfully they're both fully with it and should have plenty of time more.

Honestly, I think it's a little overkill for them, but my godfather had a lot of trouble when his parents passed, so it got my parents to do it. His parents owned an apartment building and had tenets, though. My folks have one house, one car, and some money in the bank.

We did it kinda last minute about four years ago right before my dad went under the knife for open heart surgery. At his age, it was really touchy if he'd make it. But it was a fast and painless process. And, like I said, not that complicated. My sis and I split everything except her kids get an extra $1k each or something.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 29, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you own a house or are over the small estate probate limit in assets you're probably due for a trust. They're simple things which save people a lot of headache.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just a quick note, if anyone signed up for that Penfed $200 bonus on a new checking account, they are sending them out now. I signed up on 5/20 and got my bonus yesterday.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Does anyone use simple online banking and understand its interface / where it puts money and why I can't find it?

I have a shared account set up with my partner, and transfered money from my account to the shared one last week, but can't find it anywhere. In the activity log it shows as transferred and there is no activity log showing it going anywhere else. It's a really bad ui and I'm hoping someone can explain it to me.

Alternatively, is there a different online banking system with an easy to use ui that includes shared /personal accounts and goal buckets that actually keep money from being used? I like all the features of simple, just despise how it's presented.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Spikes32 posted:

Does anyone use simple online banking and understand its interface / where it puts money and why I can't find it?

I have a shared account set up with my partner, and transfered money from my account to the shared one last week, but can't find it anywhere. In the activity log it shows as transferred and there is no activity log showing it going anywhere else. It's a really bad ui and I'm hoping someone can explain it to me.

Alternatively, is there a different online banking system with an easy to use ui that includes shared /personal accounts and goal buckets that actually keep money from being used? I like all the features of simple, just despise how it's presented.

Ally checks those boxes for me. Also if you can't find your money you need to be on the phone post haste.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Hey folks, I recently left my crummy retail job and am looking to rollover the 401k into my Vanguard Roth IRA. Am I understanding the process right in that I need to create a rollover/traditional IRA first, and then transfer from there into my Roth account?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Spikes32 posted:

I have Chime and like it for those aspects a lot - it is a pain if you deal with paper checks at all, but if you're all online it's great!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I need a personal loan from like SoFi for an unexpected tax bill, assuming no prepayment penalty, is it better for my credit score to pay the whole thing back within a 30 day window, or let it sit for a full credit cycle for the credit unions to digest the loan, then pay it off? I think the interest for 30 days is going to be way less than $100, which thankfully is a rounding error for the entire financial year, and not a reoccurring cost.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

If I need a personal loan from like SoFi for an unexpected tax bill, assuming no prepayment penalty, is it better for my credit score to pay the whole thing back within a 30 day window, or let it sit for a full credit cycle for the credit unions to digest the loan, then pay it off? I think the interest for 30 days is going to be way less than $100, which thankfully is a rounding error for the entire financial year, and not a reoccurring cost.

I would say do whatever is cheaper , and don’t worry about gaming your credit score to that extent.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Cow Bell posted:

Hey folks, I recently left my crummy retail job and am looking to rollover the 401k into my Vanguard Roth IRA. Am I understanding the process right in that I need to create a rollover/traditional IRA first, and then transfer from there into my Roth account?

Unless you really are sure, I wouldn't put it into a Roth, you'd have to pay taxes on that conversion (and depending on how much is there, may not be able to do the full amount). A rollover IRA is fine.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Does anyone in here have a basic savings account bank recommendation? I'd like to stash roughly a thousand bucks (USD) and leave it there as an emergency fund.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Does anyone in here have a basic savings account bank recommendation? I'd like to stash roughly a thousand bucks (USD) and leave it there as an emergency fund.
Local credit union. If you want big national, Ally.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

Local credit union. If you want big national, Ally.

Can you elaborate on why Ally? My mom uses Pathfinder so I was leaning there.

I'd go with a local credit union but I might be moving states within the next two years (might!) and don't know how much of a hassle it would be to handle that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Pathfinder's savings account requires you to use your debit card 12x/mo to earn a competitive interest rate (1%). I would look to Ally, Marcus, Amex, etc - any of the online HYSAs will be just fine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can you elaborate on why Ally?

It's basic, free, has a not bad app.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Discover dropped to 0.8% which may or may not be competitive anymore, but they've been a great online savings for me in the past.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

It's basic, free, has a not bad app.
Yup. This and a competitive interest rate. I'm sure there are alternatives that are comparable, Ally just happens to be the one I use.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks guys, I'll get that set up and then try to forget I have the dosh.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Discover dropped to 0.8% which may or may not be competitive anymore, but they've been a great online savings for me in the past.

That's what Ally is at too, and I don't think anyone else is going to be far enough above that to really matter.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you look at a rate chart graph they all move together, just depends on your personal preference

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I have opened an account at ally and it's depositing my check into it, thanks guys! :toot:

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have opened an account at ally and it's depositing my check into it, thanks guys! :toot:

Yeah, Ally is a great online 'hub' account. I use it to connect all my bank and brokerage accounts.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I need to set up a business account for my new LLC. Neither my current credit union (Capital One) nor Ally, the one I normally see bandied about here, have business accounts. Any recommendations? The LLC is my one-man software development house, so I don't think I need a ton of functionality; as long as I can make transfers and payments I should be good to go.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

my credit union (Capital One)

:thunk:

An actual local credit union may have good business accounts with low/no fees. Maybe there are online options I'm unaware of. Definitely avoid the big retail banks (BoA, WF, Chase, etc.).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I know. I was happier with ING Direct but they got eaten and I haven't gotten around to changing yet.

I'd prefer to be online if possible, especially during the plague times.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm applying for a job with Washington state. The retirement plan is a hybrid plan that has good 403(b) matching (7.5% of your salary matching 1:1), and a small PERS (Service years * 1% * average of highest five years of salary). Assuming it's still there when I retire (probably 30-35 yearsish), would my social security get reduced because of the PERS? I couldn't find anything regarding this for Washington state (I know my mom gets CALPERS, but that's a much, much larger amount, and her social security gets reduced by a third because of it).

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Thanatosian posted:

I'm applying for a job with Washington state. The retirement plan is a hybrid plan that has good 403(b) matching (7.5% of your salary matching 1:1), and a small PERS (Service years * 1% * average of highest five years of salary). Assuming it's still there when I retire (probably 30-35 yearsish), would my social security get reduced because of the PERS? I couldn't find anything regarding this for Washington state (I know my mom gets CALPERS, but that's a much, much larger amount, and her social security gets reduced by a third because of it).
It's a federal rule, not state, although your pension is state funded. You can calculate the effect of WEP here: https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/wep.html

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
My bank (Ally) is getting rid of email as a recovery option, so now I only have my cell number in there. The page says "we suggest two methods" which was obviously written before they decided to dump emails, but it raises the question: do people protect important accounts with more than one recovery source in case of some disaster? If so, what do they do?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

My bank (Ally) is getting rid of email as a recovery option, so now I only have my cell number in there. The page says "we suggest two methods" which was obviously written before they decided to dump emails, but it raises the question: do people protect important accounts with more than one recovery source in case of some disaster? If so, what do they do?

I scream at the poor schmuck on the phone that SMS based authentication for financial transactions is perhaps more dangerous than just emailing me retrospectively and to please disable it on my account. TOTP, FIDO, or if you insist, a voiceprint. My gmail account is more secure than SMS.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I also did not understand this decision.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Yeah, I remember a very big client of my previous job using SMS for securely logging into something very important and thinking that was strange, but I guess I didn't make that connection when thinking about my six bux.

I've emailed them to ask for those options, maybe if enough people do they will, or I'll change banks again. It's not like I'm getting anything from the interest anymore.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can you elaborate on why Ally? My mom uses Pathfinder so I was leaning there.

I'd go with a local credit union but I might be moving states within the next two years (might!) and don't know how much of a hassle it would be to handle that.

Ally used to have extremely competitive savings rates, something like 2%, which was way higher than anybody else

Since middle of last year they've been tapering way down, I checked last night and mine is at 0.8%

That said, their website does not piss me off, their phone support speaks good english, and I've made a couple dollars in interest since opening the account, so I'd say they're at least average, if not above average

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Ally used to have extremely competitive savings rates, something like 2%, which was way higher than anybody else

Since middle of last year they've been tapering way down, I checked last night and mine is at 0.8%

That said, their website does not piss me off, their phone support speaks good english, and I've made a couple dollars in interest since opening the account, so I'd say they're at least average, if not above average

And note that their interest rates are still competitive to other online banks commonly mentioned here for equal amounts of effort. If you're willing to setup a rube goldberg machine of accounts at 8 different places to make an extra few % interest a year that's different.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Rates are way down across the board, and with the current climate and Fed policy they will likely stay that way for a while. None of the banks are individually just being lovely or anything like that.

Yeah there are some loss leader gimmicks you can jump through hoops to squeeze a bit more out, but the gains are small and not worth the brain space to think about to me. More power to ya if it is to you, though.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 18, 2020

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, being forced to use SMS as my second factor is very possibly enough to get me to switch. What's another good online bank that lets you use email still?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

I scream at the poor schmuck on the phone that SMS based authentication for financial transactions is perhaps more dangerous than just emailing me retrospectively and to please disable it on my account. TOTP, FIDO, or if you insist, a voiceprint. My gmail account is more secure than SMS.

One thing to note that is newer on SMS verification security wise, depending on your carrier , they rolled out basically a SIM swap lock. I have it on Verizon, and I can’t change the SIM cards on my phones without first logging into my Verizon account, going to number lock, and unchecking my number.

Don’t know how perfect it is because I haven’t tested it, but worth turning on if you have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Google Voice is resistant to SIM swaps too, last I checked.