Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojfj7EVcdlo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm giving the Dark Souls 2 playthrough another watch, just for fun.

I had forgotten how much Pat says 'you know what I mean?' in this.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 28, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Drop your shield

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Perfect

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hasn't Pat acknowledged he kinda gets in like "phases" where a particular phrase just cannot escape his vocabulary?

also, obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpJ-RqjimUc

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'll always remember Dark Souls 2 as the first time two people got legitimately angry at each other on the channel, a feat that wouldn't be replicated until Omikron wait nevermind it happened in Bloodborne too

and then Star Trek was an entire LP of it

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TBF, that Star Trek LP is definitely just "they are breaking up" in video form.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Blockhouse posted:

I'll always remember Dark Souls 2 as the first time two people got legitimately angry at each other on the channel, a feat that wouldn't be replicated until Omikron wait nevermind it happened in Bloodborne too

and then Star Trek was an entire LP of it

I think Silent Hill Homecoming beat all of those.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TaurusOxford posted:

I think Silent Hill Homecoming beat all of those.

That was Matt being mad at the game though that's different

TheManSeries posted:

TBF, that Star Trek LP is definitely just "they are breaking up" in video form.

I didn't see that LP while it was running so I tried to go back to it recently it is so loving uncomfortable to watch. The barely hidden contempt for one another there occasionally bubbles to the surface and it made me stop it was just too much.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I honestly remember that Star Trek LP being pretty dang funny

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I honestly remember that Star Trek LP being pretty dang funny

Try watching it now knowing what you know. They're barely talking to each other, mostly just riffing in different directions, and occasionally one of them will just start poo poo talking the other in a way that doesn't feel very funny.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean after a year+ of castle superbeast, it's a miracle SBF lasted as long as it did

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol I don't usually watch tablelords but the mario jenga thing sounded neat, and they are rules lawyering the gently caress out of jenga.

and punchmom's comment about 32 minutes in with what IMMEDIATELY, INSTANTLY FOLLOWED was so perfectly timed it's ridiculous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9aZds2K1GE&hd=1

GODLIKE

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 29, 2020

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Hasn't Pat acknowledged he kinda gets in like "phases" where a particular phrase just cannot escape his vocabulary?

also, obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpJ-RqjimUc

Right now I feel like it's "How do I put this?" he says it nearly without fail every time he has to explain something to Woolie in the podcast

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Vandar posted:

I'm giving the Dark Souls 2 playthrough another watch, just for fun.

I had forgotten how much Pat says 'you know what I mean?' in this.

This is the only LP of theirs I've seen multiple times, and I don't know why. I kinda wanna watch it a third time after reading this post.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Try watching it now knowing what you know. They're barely talking to each other, mostly just riffing in different directions, and occasionally one of them will just start poo poo talking the other in a way that doesn't feel very funny.

I re-watched the first bit of the MGSV LP a while back, and it's a similiar thing- there are entire 3-hour chunks of video (which I assume were recorded in one sitting) where Liam-straight up refuses to talk to Pat, and just sullenly solo narrates what he's doing while Pat constantly tries to give him conversational hooks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Frog Factions is up for anime, and Woolie's segue into it. :allears:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So Liam closed up shop awhile ago from what I'm told, and Woolie/Pat have their operations of course

Does ANYONE actually give a poo poo about Matt's stuff? I never see it discussed, anywhere.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm not subbed to him but I watch Wha Happened when I see them crop up.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rody One Half posted:

Does ANYONE actually give a poo poo about Matt's stuff? I never see it discussed, anywhere.

I'm subbed to Matt for his Wha Happuns but none of his other content really interests me. Honestly most of Woolie's stuff doesn't interest me either - I just stay subbed for the CSB Highlight uploads.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Rody One Half posted:

So Liam closed up shop awhile ago from what I'm told, and Woolie/Pat have their operations of course

I don't know if anyone on SA does, but he gets decent numbers of views.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

I stopped watching his Whu Happen videos because it feels like he’s doing a routine inspired by a bunch of people way better than him at it. I don’t think any of them were really bad per say, just none of them were really standout to me whatsoever. Also Matt reading highly scripted stuff has always sounded weirdly off putting to me, but that’s just personal preference

I’ve never actually watched any of his let’s plays post SBF, maybe those are better

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I liked the Matt and Liam Sonic 06 and SA2 LPs, but I'll watch almost anything of those games.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Matt and Crymtina doing that pick up artist game was the last thing of his I wanted to watch. The critiques videos were solid to. I feel like they could really hit a formula but the scripted stuff just puts me off.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I hate Matt's scripted voice. I don't know why.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the Crymetina videos eventually started feeling really samey to me

I don't even like the Wuh Happens, the ones i've dipped back in on feel like he's just reading off pretty commonly known stories and he seems to have exhausted his insider connections

was The TakeOver any good? the graphics look bad

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I didn't actually hate the costume critique things that crymetina did but they all went on so god damned long that I just stopped watching them at some point. They really needed to be edited down to just the funny bits.

None of the videos where he's just playing games are interesting, they're all really boring. I tried to watch a few of the LPs where Liam was there but I still found myself skipping around or not paying attention so ended up dropping them all too.

Wha Happuns is good if he's not trying to report on stuff that's still happening, or if he has new information or is summarizing something that's a bit of a clusterfuck.

I stopped paying attention to his channel a long time ago and just look at the rare videos that people deign to post elsewhere.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm subbed to Matt for his Wha Happuns but none of his other content really interests me. Honestly most of Woolie's stuff doesn't interest me either - I just stay subbed for the CSB Highlight uploads.
I have been binging the thousand year door LP and it's legitimately one of the best things anyone from best friends has ever made, pre-split or otherwise. the poo poo that goes down in the Glitzville arc, and the ad-libbing they do for the characters, was some of the best comedy they've produced. I highly recommend it, it's such a good LP. It's got slow spots, as expected of any long LP, but MAN are the good spots worth it.

their constant bewilderment that this is a game that exists also never ceases to amuse because holy moly that game does some poo poo. I understand why Nintendo went in reverse so incredibly hard from it, but man, it is super disappointing anyways because it's such a unique game.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I have been binging the thousand year door LP and it's legitimately one of the best things anyone from best friends has ever made, pre-split or otherwise. the poo poo that goes down in the Glitzville arc, and the ad-libbing they do for the characters, was some of the best comedy they've produced. I highly recommend it, it's such a good LP. It's got slow spots, as expected of any long LP, but MAN are the good spots worth it.

their constant bewilderment that this is a game that exists also never ceases to amuse because holy moly that game does some poo poo. I understand why Nintendo went in reverse so incredibly hard from it, but man, it is super disappointing anyways because it's such a unique game.

A lot of woolie's LPs are pretty good. The Legend of the Mystical Ninja one he did with Eyepatch Wolf was pretty amazing, and the Doom ones were pretty good as well. He has a nice cast of characters with Reggie, Billy, and Little V.

Matt...makes me sad nowadays. I wish him well, but his new stuff really isn't doing it for me.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Matt's channel is doing insanely well, so at least he's got an audience. But yeah, I watch Wha Happun sometimes out of like "oh yeah I remember Lair, sure I will listen to this in the background and vaguely remember a friend buying a PS3 for it when they were 600 dollars." It's a fine show, but like. Very generic YouTube documentary style, it doesn't really let much personality show through.

All the guest stuff on his channel gives me bad vibes though, it reminds me so much of TGWTG stuff from a decade ago.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I occasionally watch Wha Happun because with a few glaring exceptions he does thorough research, organizes the information in a neat package and even digs up behind the scenes stuff that very few people know about. His Flophouse Files videos on the other hand need some serious work. They mostly consist of common knowledge to even casual video game players, he goes off on tangents for minutes at a time, the scripts are organized haphazardly, and worst of all he runs those running gags from the sbfp days into the loving ground.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I /did/ watch the SA2 lp actually, and then fell off the 06 LP, as I've always fallen off 06 lps despite that game being fascinating. It's just like, a curse.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the bit in the 06 LP where Liam finds the ability that shrinks you and lets you jump infinitely is a fever dream

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Matt's channel is the only one i watch with any regularity these days, and only really for Wha Happun to be honest. they're bite-sized enough that even if an episode is a dud i don't terribly mind

Woolie's stuff i usually just check out when people in here go all "hey check out this cool and fun thing", and lol Pat's stuff

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Pat's stuff can be good. his Frog Fractions stream was great, though of course nothing compared to Reggie's First Experience With Frog Fractions

Pat will actually do stuff like run into the spoiler bullets repeatedly to see what they say rather than see the gimmick and proceed to completely avoid it like reggie did. the "Gendo is a bad dad." one and pat is just immediately "HE SURE IS!" was fantastic.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Matt’s probably the former BF I watch the most these days, though I only check out the vids that look interesting to me. His current solo Devil’s Hunt LP is good stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
These crows talking about global warming and depletion of fossil fuels and downloading game apps through their FAT PIPES (in 2004!), what is this game lmao

That chapter 4 twist was so unbelievably good though, what an incredible game. They really need to let people go wild like this, this is legit the stuff of legendary games. The writing is so good too, and is genuinely hilarious

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Matt's content can be good but most of his Wha Happens are like...surface level looks into car fires that have been thoroughly picked clean by this point and his other analysis stuff is just....not good. If i'm gonna watch someone Talk about video games online I either want like breezy friend chat like The bombcast or actually really well thought out analysis like say...Noah Cadwell Gervais. Matt's non-LP stuff exist in this weird limbo of just kind being there.

I know he always wanted to branch out into more scripted poo poo but tbh his scripted stuff is kind of bland and he's still not really got the presentation down.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
matt's as knowledgeable and insightful as the average Games poster: [highly affected radio voice] did you know that Mario 2 was actually Doki Doki Panic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Wha Happun has such a bland presence that it strikes me as just someone dryly reading out the trivia/behind the scenes section of a game's wiki page.