Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Squirrel update:

Welp, I'm in the squirrel raising business now too.. my neighbors found 2 more and also spotted the mom dead out on the street they think hit by a car so they're definitely orphans.
Lucky for us they're already furred because if they were much younger you need to stimulate their junk with a wet qtip to potty them!

This is Kodo and Podo, one is a lot more chill but both are super cute and they like to burrow into my shirt and snuggle up to the warm.
I took them out of their cage to clean it and reset the bedding but it's hard to get pics when there's 2 of them!

Here's Kodo, Podo had already tucked himself into the sock while they were chillin in the tub while I cleaned house

Here's Kodo making a big mess eating grapes and fig before I cleaned the cage

Here they are happily snuggling together in their sleeping bag after room service, if you look close you can see a little bit of squirrel poking out

Tools of the trade, fig, grapes, almonds, baby food and a little coffee creamer in a syringe

Eventually I'll get some good shots of them :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Spatial posted:

Is there no convention this year, even an online thing?

SC backers always get pretty angry about the state of the game in the middle of the year and then get mollified by the con. This has been the pattern for years. Maybe CIG just doesn't care this time because they're making so much money right now.

The more money they make, the less game there is. At this pace in 2022 they'll take in 1 billion dollars and there will be nothing left but a half-finished web page that only loads up in Netscape Navigator.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is this fraud still going?

Because if so, nothing will stop it. Even Bernie Madoff's pyramid scheme collapsed after 2008. Here we are in another recession, and Chris Roberts is still going strong.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020
So how many times has elevator panels been delayed now? Twice? Thrice?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Here we are in another recession, and Chris Roberts is still going strong.
The recession actually worked in their favor. Nerds apparently go to ground and buy stupid poo poo with stimulus cheques so lots of money went to CIG.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Thoatse posted:

Squirrel update:

Welp, I'm in the squirrel raising business now too.. my neighbors found 2 more and also spotted the mom dead out on the street they think hit by a car so they're definitely orphans.
Lucky for us they're already furred because if they were much younger you need to stimulate their junk with a wet qtip to potty them!

This is Kodo and Podo, one is a lot more chill but both are super cute and they like to burrow into my shirt and snuggle up to the warm.
I took them out of their cage to clean it and reset the bedding but it's hard to get pics when there's 2 of them!

Here's Kodo, Podo had already tucked himself into the sock while they were chillin in the tub while I cleaned house

Here they are happily snuggling together in their sleeping bag after room service, if you look close you can see a little bit of squirrel poking out

Tools of the trade, fig, grapes, almonds, baby food and a little coffee creamer in a syringe

Does either Kodo or Podo know how to program a physics engine of a flight model?

Asking for a friend :iiasb:

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Spiderdrake posted:

The recession actually worked in their favor. Nerds apparently go to ground and buy stupid poo poo with stimulus cheques so lots of money went to CIG.

I wonder how it's gonna be when the covid situation will still not be over by xmas 2021, with the economy in complete collapse, unemployment skyrocketing, and people getting evicted en masse.

I guess we'll see a lot of angry refudians citizens on one side, and a lot of "teaching others how to get refund should be a felony" :reddit: on the other side.

But eventually they'll all realize that Star Citizens was about all the pledges we made along the way.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKJfRwjA2RA

I take back what I've said before, CIG just gave us all what we've wanted and showed us all the awesome core tech they're working on! Checkmate FUDsters :smug: seriously the rejoicing in the comments is hilarious. Shitizens were ready to burn the place down, but they got the nesting doll roadmaps and a lovely video about core tech that will never be finished and it's all good again.

spoilers: "we're working on icache/server meshing/global persistence/god tech and happy with the progress we're making on core tech in year 8 of our MMO" :shepspends:

ok it's actually funny how they say they have to go back and rewrite a huge amount of code that was written to assume there was only one server to deal with. So they wrote a massive amount of code without thinking about server meshing or any of the things that make star citizen the game they actually promised... great job guys.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Thoatse posted:

Squirrel update:

You're good people. All you need to do now is start painting and by God you got yourself a public access show.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
Also my favourite point in all these videos is when the talking head looks at the camera and is like, "there's A LOT to work on, it's just... there's a lot" and sort of shakes their head with a smirk of knowing resignation... like I know this poo poo will never get finished but maybe if the coronavirus cheques keep coming something will happen or.... :shrug:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

L. Ron Hoover posted:

I take back what I've said before, CIG just gave us all what we've wanted and showed us all the awesome core tech they're working on! Checkmate FUDsters :smug: seriously the rejoicing in the comments is hilarious. Shitizens were ready to burn the place down, but they got the nesting doll roadmaps and a lovely video about core tech that will never be finished and it's all good again.

spoilers: "we're working on icache/server meshing/global persistence/god tech and happy with the progress we're making on core tech in year 8 of our MMO" :shepspends:

ok it's actually funny how they say they have to go back and rewrite a huge amount of code that was written to assume there was only one server to deal with. So they wrote a massive amount of code without thinking about server meshing or any of the things that make star citizen the game they actually promised... great job guys.

Yeah it’s just more “early days exploration” of how to make an MMO in year 8. I skimmed the video, but my favorite part is when they talk about how Server Meshing won’t really solve any of the game’s current horrible problems, and those are the result of fundamental issues in the engine like clock synchronization and “a LOAD of bugs that have crept in over the years”. And there is a huge laundry list of things they have to fix before they can implement server meshing, which in itself isn’t even at the stage yet where two servers can talk to each other.

It basically amounts to an admission that they have a giant pile of spaghetti code on their hands, and you could see the fatigue and resignation in the devs. By CIG standards it was all remarkably honest and straightforward.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 29, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

So how many times has elevator panels been delayed now? Twice? Thrice?

They were originally planned for 3.9 so they have been kicked down the road 3 times.

Related fan-fiction

quote:

Currently there are legacy panels and the first rendition of building blocks. The new building blocks one is not very stylizes, efficient, or has any variety.

Why does that matter?

Elevator panels are a common and frequent interaction point for players! Cities, Stations, and ships all use them.

What CiG is probably doing is:

Unify the panels between all ships, stations and cities to building blocks.

Making a CR approved template which is efficiently laid out and not cumbersome to navigate.

Variety. They require different styles for ships, stations, cities, manufacturers, ect.

Physical elevators in cities and stations take time and CiG can utilize that time to allow some server meshing related shenanigans. Such as transferring you from the server which was populated by those on the exterior of a station/city to the server which runs the interior during your elevator trip.

Elevators are an important part of this game, just like the drat bartender, gas clouds, and all the other "fluff" which which individually almost go unnoticed but together make the game we are looking for.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:reddit: Star Citizen physics are so lifelike that ramming head-first into a ship causes you to fall *backwards* instead of carrying momentum

https://i.imgur.com/waBO04x.mp4

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ponzi posted:

Star Citizer: Bird-brained development

:golfclap:

UnknownTarget posted:

What is even the point of SC?
I take it this was a rhetorical question?

Bofast fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 29, 2020

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Star Citizen: Elevators are an important part of this game.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kosumo posted:

I need a clip of their bullshit loading screen crashing the game, stat.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is this fraud still going?

Because if so, nothing will stop it. Even Bernie Madoff's pyramid scheme collapsed after 2008. Here we are in another recession, and Chris Roberts is still going strong.

Well, you see, the difference here is that pyramid scheme participants expect a RETURN on investment.

You see:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

It really is a cult, it's loving insane.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
is it true that Odyssey had some concept art of a bar?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:discourse: :laffo: :gary:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lol

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

L. Ron Hoover posted:

Some backers will never learn. No matter how many times CIG says something and then those things go to poo poo they will still lap up any new dreams.txt offered by this scam.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Fargin Icehole posted:

Bartenders, outposts floating just above the ground, the works. No penguin plushies yet though.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Fargin Icehole posted:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Scruffpuff posted:

Somewhere deep in the bowels of CIG (and by that I mean in the offices of whatever game development company they outsourced it to) is a hastily rammed-together "SQ42" shooty game. It will come out of nowhere, be completely divorced from SC, be very obviously cheap and fast and generic, and will be heralded as "owning the haters" by the cult and proof this is NOTASCAM.

Quote the poo poo outta this.

You better believe my poo poo quoting is ready.

Mirificus posted:

Star Citizen Behind the Scenes: Vision Stabilization
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aca-y58V6_U

Yeah, this is pretty much what I expected. It's like wow, turns out there's not any good reason to unify 3rd person and 1st person animations. Too bad there was no one they could ask about this sort of thing.
Fidelity is a harsh mistress.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/CloudImperium/status/1299387928305565698

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 29, 2020

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
Fraudster con man Braben announces transparent new scheme to cheat innocent gamers out of their hard earned whalebucks.

https://www.mcvuk.com/business-news/frontier-launches-new-games-label-frontier-foundry-with-two-new-titles/

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

You will have Spectrum apps and games. Spectrum has programs like Empire Report News etc. Players will be able to make content to upload to Spectrum - the Reliant MAKO News Van is designed for this.

You can catch up with in-game sporting events like the Murray Cup Racing etc. There will be other social events taking place around the verse as well as local and Empire elections. You can do shopping via your Mobiglas. There will be plenty to occupy you while in QT, not least will be getting to know your crew (NPC or human) and building a relationship with them.

You do have to eat, drink and take a shower also. Might as well do that while in QT.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
who cares about a game lets get us a more immersive web browser experience!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

14:42 if the time thing doesn't work. I am not a developer, nevermind a network developer, but even I can tell by the answer of this dude that they are trully and royally hosed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKJfRwjA2RA&t=882s

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Snazzy Frocks posted:

who cares about a game lets get us a more immersive web browser experience!

You do not need to take a shower in real life but in SC you do, so better shower a bit (in game) while you travel.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

L. Ron Hoover posted:

They've always had development rear end backwards.
A normal company would 'design once, code once' type methodology.
But as we know CIG has always had a 'gently caress do what Chris says at this moment' way.
First they had the hangar, which you could only see your ships. And they bodged code into that to allow you to walk around inside them.
Then they bodged code so you could fly them around.
Then they bodged code so you could carry items from one area to another area.
Then they bodged code so you can do it with a few others in the same place.
Then they bodged code etc.

Instead of going 'Ok, we need 100 planets, all of them land-able on, lets say max players of 1000 on each, lets calculate how much server loads, bandwidth, etc we will need and work from there',
you had 'And your fully AI fish in your luxury commander space yacht will be able to smell your methane farts from the procedural beans and eggs that another player serving under you made for you! All while giving orders to other players from your space sex dungeon (who will also have other players). '

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

MedicineHut posted:

14:42 if the time thing doesn't work. I am not a developer, nevermind a network developer, but even I can tell by the answer of this dude that they are trully and royally hosed:

I think what's extra funny is they can avoid this mountain of server issues by releasing a singleplayer game... and they can't even do that. So even if by some miracle they figured out the servers, who wants to bet they still wouldn't be able to make a videogame out of it

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Every so often I’m reading this thread on my couch after work and I let out a completely involuntary ‘jesus christ’ and ~*my wife*~ looks over at me questioningly and I realised something: In this, the hell year of 2020, with some new attraction added to the Cavalcade Of Bullshit every day, SC is the only thing that consistently makes me gawp like a mediæval peasant looking at a Cardi B video.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Kosumo posted:

Can we get Beet back as a mod, please?
Thread title hasn't changed in months.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

happyhippy posted:

They've always had development rear end backwards.
A normal company would 'design once, code once' type methodology.
But as we know CIG has always had a 'gently caress do what Chris says at this moment' way.
First they had the hangar, which you could only see your ships. And they bodged code into that to allow you to walk around inside them.
Then they bodged code so you could fly them around.
Then they bodged code so you could carry items from one area to another area.
Then they bodged code so you can do it with a few others in the same place.
Then they bodged code etc.

Instead of going 'Ok, we need 100 planets, all of them land-able on, lets say max players of 1000 on each, lets calculate how much server loads, bandwidth, etc we will need and work from there',
you had 'And your fully AI fish in your luxury commander space yacht will be able to smell your methane farts from the procedural beans and eggs that another player serving under you made for you! All while giving orders to other players from your space sex dungeon (who will also have other players). '

Bodged Citizer: Space Sex Dungeon Edition

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Dogeh posted:

Can we get Beet back as a mod, please?
Thread title hasn't changed in months.

I asked this earlier, but do you know what post the current thread title is from?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I stare at the trash fire that is this game and I say to myself

what the chris

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

I have a weird feeling that clive johnson, the lead network programmer, will be at splash damage sometime in the next six months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Mr.Tophat posted:

I stare at the trash fire that is this game and I say to myself

what the chris

You stare at the trash fire and wonder why the fire is still unfinished.