Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

oliwan posted:

Barney ronay arguing that it wasn't a penalty vs Messi lol

Came here to say that while Football Weekly is my favourite by a long way, I'm getting really tired of Barney's schtick. And so are the other contributors, judging by the way they interact with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Answers Me posted:

Came here to say that while Football Weekly is my favourite by a long way, I'm getting really tired of Barney's schtick. And so are the other contributors, judging by the way they interact with him.

Ronay is fine when Wilson is on to offset him otherwise he's loving tedious.

Ninpo

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
You can just run around the field all day jumping in front on peoples feet when theyre trying to kick it

....yeah ????

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Bundy posted:

Ronay is fine when Wilson is on to offset him otherwise he's loving tedious.

Ninpo

Wilson does more than offset Ronay's Ronayniness, they make a double act together that turns it from dull, dreary pointless iconoclasm into pretty bloody entertaining banter. I love it when those two are on.

Also enjoyed Glendenning owning him pretty hard over PSG.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Barney gonna Barney

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/14/why-so-much-neymar-rage-he-is-the-complete-attacking-footballer

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

cause he's a bit of a oval office, that's why :)

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Barney Ronay just sucks so much

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I just need to stress once again that I love Jonathan Wilson and could listen to him talk about football all day.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

that’s a lot of lines about what neymar smells like

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Did Kate Mason improve on the Ramble? I heard her excruciating debut where she basically refused to take part in the game at the end and decided to swerve any future appearances, though to be fair I have missed a lot of their stuff for the same reasons others have mentioned (prioritising FW and club specific stuff first).

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah she is a very weird fit for the ramble. How did she even end up on it? That being said I was massively skeptical about max when he joined FW and look at him now.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol at Barry pronouncing Lionel in Lionel Messi as Lionel in Lionel Richie

Lionel Messi

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Barry's pronunciation has always been fantastic. Nabil Fekir which he always says as "fecker" is another highlight

Jippa posted:

I was massively skeptical about max when he joined FW and look at him now.

I never understood why people hated Max so much on the occasions he'd stand in for Jimbo, and I never really saw any reason for it other than he's not Jimbo. Which, well, yeah - but he was never trying to be either. Since I'm not in the UK I never saw him on TalkSport or Soccer AM, so maybe that was a factor.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

webmeister posted:

I never understood why people hated Max so much on the occasions he'd stand in for Jimbo, and I never really saw any reason for it other than he's not Jimbo. Which, well, yeah - but he was never trying to be either. Since I'm not in the UK I never saw him on TalkSport or Soccer AM, so maybe that was a factor.

It was just lazy sterotyping on my part. I think two eps ago wilson jokingly calls max a "poo poo tim lovejoy "(soccer am guy). That is exactly what I assumed max was going to be like.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

oliwan posted:

lol at Barry pronouncing Lionel in Lionel Messi as Lionel in Lionel Richie

Lionel Messi

That's his name. He's named after Lionel Richie.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"The sporting director will get fired, because the 4th sporting director in 5 years is clearly the problem. And the coach will go, because the man in charge for 6 months is clearly the problem too."

drat Sid, Vicious.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

webmeister posted:

Barry's pronunciation has always been fantastic. Nabil Fekir which he always says as "fecker" is another highlight

I think I - and many others - associated him with the stereotypical 90s, thick-as-pig-poo poo laddish football pundits who were all over Sky at that time. While he does carry some of that aura about him, he's obviously pretty intelligent and thoughtful so has been good for FW.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mickolution posted:

That's his name. He's named after Lionel Richie.

Can’t decide if that’s better or worse than being named after Reagan

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

I think I - and many others - associated him with the stereotypical 90s, thick-as-pig-poo poo laddish football pundits who were all over Sky at that time. While he does carry some of that aura about him, he's obviously pretty intelligent and thoughtful so has been good for FW.

I get that, but a lot of people are just babies who want their free podcast to be exactly how they want it and hate change. Not saying this is you at all, I mean in general. Even on decent sites like The Guardian, the comment section is awful.

(I get the irony of me saying this after complaining about The Ramble further up the page)

webmeister posted:

Can’t decide if that’s better or worse than being named after Reagan

Much better.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

The Perfect Element posted:

ah yes the oxford educated guardian journalist thick as pigshit max rushden

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

RideTheSpiral posted:

Yes.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

RideTheSpiral posted:

Have you ever seen Soccer AM?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
max rushed is like the platonic ideal of a privileged bougie lib... I can tolerate it as long as they are talking about football and nothing else.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

oliwan posted:

max rushed is like the platonic ideal of a privileged bougie lib... I can tolerate it as long as they are talking about football and nothing else.

He must be delighted.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Mickolution posted:

Have you ever seen Soccer AM?

no

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Lucky you. It's like the other poster said, laddish humour, but toned down so it can be broadcast in the morning time. It's pretty lowest common denominator stuff, but there were a few good jokes that just got run into the ground. I haven't seen it in years and I'm not sure I even saw it when Max was presenting.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

The two lockdown specials of The Offensive were wonderful. Such a horrendously underrated podcast.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Living in the shadow of Tim Lovejoy

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mickolution posted:

Lucky you. It's like the other poster said, laddish humour, but toned down so it can be broadcast in the morning time. It's pretty lowest common denominator stuff, but there were a few good jokes that just got run into the ground. I haven't seen it in years and I'm not sure I even saw it when Max was presenting.

It wasn't even that toned down in the early days, hence it's cult following. By the time Max arrived they were reforming it massively, haven't seen it in years but heard mixed things about Bullard.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I weened myself off Soccer Am years ago, but I could have it on in the background on a Saturday morning while cooking breakfast or whatever. However, Helen leaving the show about two years ago wasn’t even acknowledged. She had been on it for, what, twenty years and suddenly Jimmy Bullard was sat there. It may have been her decision, but the change not even being mentioned was really weird. Whatever.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Fun ramble today the lads were in high spirits.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

re: people's problems with Max on Football Weekly, I've been listening through the archives over the summer while redoing the garden and his first guest host appearance was a mix of him being amusing but also him basically showing off all of his relationships with minor celebrities, being a spoiled rich oval office complaining about having to furnish his newly bought London flat, the fact that he can play the clarinet, etc. the following episode the pod discussed how some listener commentary was "never get this snooty prick on the cast ever again", i assume some of the dislike of him is a carry over of this.

Here's the episode for anyone who cares, and the follow-up.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 28, 2020

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Which of Wilson's book are good? I've got Inverting the Pyramid but it's a bit dry but still enjoyable enough.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I remember enjoying Behind the Curtain. I’m remembering a comical and interesting travelogue and football history book centring around Yugoslavia, Romania and Hungary.

Like a lot of Wilson’s books it’s one of the chapters from Inverting the Pyramid but more - so if you enjoyed the Eastern Europe part of that you’ll enjoy this.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Wtf is this thing they're doing where fans get to do the final section of FW? It sounds dreadful, and I can't fathom why anyone thinks it's a good idea at all.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

an_mutt posted:

re: people's problems with Max on Football Weekly, I've been listening through the archives over the summer while redoing the garden and his first guest host appearance was a mix of him being amusing but also him basically showing off all of his relationships with minor celebrities, being a spoiled rich oval office complaining about having to furnish his newly bought London flat, the fact that he can play the clarinet, etc. the following episode the pod discussed how some listener commentary was "never get this snooty prick on the cast ever again", i assume some of the dislike of him is a carry over of this.

Here's the episode for anyone who cares, and the follow-up.

It’s funny because I liked max exactly because of the reasons you listed for people not liking max. I thought it was a fun character to listen to because of how trite the poo poo he liked to focus on was. I also loved his schtick of reading negative comments.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I like where Max has gotten to now as host -- able to present what happens, but then steps to be the audience surrogate while supported by / surrounded by very smart people on the topics. Especially compared with the last two episodes, that smoothness or quality of broadcast is just missing a little bit -- not that Melissa is bad, just not as extra-super polished at that skill.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I think "early Max" was guilty of nothing more than attempting to play to his audience, much as he did on Soccer Saturday, so naturally thought Guardian readers wanted a boogie swine fronting it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's much more grating with kate on the ramble. She just doesn't fit the show well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
No one has mentioned the idiot spending 15 minutes on his stupid theory that football is the same without fans and that we really don’t need them?