Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
big yikes at drilling a hole in your skull though. nope nope nope nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

We've developed a highly accurate and advanced roboscalpel that will reduce recovery time and make Link surgery a completely outpatient procedure. It's accurate to +/- 1 mm.

Currently we are working with teledoctors to train the AI that will power the SurgAIon.
teledildoctors

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Silver Alicorn posted:

big yikes at drilling a hole in your skull though. nope nope nope nope

your trepanation trepidation is noted but as you see the robot brain stapler is harmless and will put your skin back (and maybe even your skull!) in the mall kiosk faster than you can say the word purple, or cool, or whatever vocabulary you retain

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

he won't install one on himself, of course. you first

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Tesla sales director: People are complaining about getting stuck in their driveway while their car's firmware updates.
Elon: *cracks knuckles*

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Agile Vector posted:

your trepanation trepidation is noted but as you see the robot brain stapler is harmless and will put your skin back (and maybe even your skull!) in the mall kiosk faster than you can say the word purple, or cool, or whatever vocabulary you retain

Oi, I had a brain hole drilled and retained at least, uh, 60% of my vocabulary?

I'm still missing some but they couldn't have been all that important because it's been five years, I'm sure I'd have picked them back up by now.

Yeah I was gonna go "I had a brain hole drilled and I retained all my vocabulary and most of my teeth" but then I remembered I did actually lose a significant chunk of my vocabulary.

The skin will heal fine, that's not a problem, apart from the hair growth around the scar. The skull bits are gone forever.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
But yeah I look at that and go "wait, a modern battery and a charging coil inside your loving head". Drilling a hole in my skull, sure whatever, but a battery of this scale?

Also look at it and ask why the charging pad is a button replacing some of the skull instead of just a pad between the skull and the skin. And why the battery isn't in your neck instead of inside your skull.

The more you know about these the more the :gonk: grows.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

you've already thought about this way more than musk has

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

eee, im glad you retained enough to cover the time spent replacing the stragglers. i know you went into detail before, but its always impressive what can be done now

theres just so many questions here. youre right with the battery location; why not behind the ear like the early plan, similar to how a cochlear implant is attached? cost isnt an object, make a wonky little charge dock or something. anything that doesnt require trying to wear an apple watch dock in bed for 8 hours

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I am aware I'm a lot more educated on the subject than Musk. You tend to have a bunch of stress when getting a skull hole drilled - well, if you retain the capacity anyway - and my reaction was to read up real bad.

Also among the immediate thoughts I had was "you could have these be charged by smart glasses or headphones you're wearing why go through the bullshit of a charging cable on the top of your head?". I wear gear to sleep and boy howdy is my reaction to anything attaching on top of my head just a "gently caress no". The wire management alone. Any wire flexible enough to stay attached would fray basically immediately. And how are you keeping it in place?

It's a fascinating mixture of "impossible bullshit" and "lovely ideas that people solving these problems have long since abandoned", like a rocket controlled by artificial intelligence orbiting the moon and dragging a piano wire behind it turn the moon into convenient slices for burgers.

I mean, yes, I know Musk doesn't just google up what the state of the art looks like, otherwise he'd be able to make cars that can handle rain.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
all of musks "ideas" are taken straight out of the 1970s and 1980s scifi novel he read while growing up as a larval nerdling. domed cities on mars, self driving cars, asteroid mining - its all straight up heinlein/clarke/niven poo poo, same as i read as a teenager

this is just his handwaving effort at making neuromancer real

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

he won't install one on himself, of course. you first

Proof is in the pudding. He wouldn't do this, full stop. I bet if it wasn't illegal he'd have a stable of mental patients on display with prototypes

e: not that that kind of thing hasn't stopped him before

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Yes we're using people's useless sleep cycles to mine bitcoins, and the fart app makes real farts too"

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Woops, smells like someone just solved a huge block.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
code:

DIRECTIVE 69 LOL
DIRECTIVE 420 LOVE THE CAR
DIRECTIVE 666 IN CASE OF MUSK, PRAISE

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

you've already thought about this way more than musk has

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

infernal machines posted:

oh, no, it's a lifetime battery

now this is interesting

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

bit my tongue off after software update caused seizure, but still love scar

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's a very invasive eeg, with all of the value of a very invasive eeg

it doesn't do anything else, nor will it at any time in the foreseeable future. the only viable product was the surgery robot, the rest was musk's usual flimflam, and i wouldn't exactly trust a musk run company to build a reliable robot either

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 29, 2020

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

it's a very invasive eeg, with all of the value of a very invasive eeg

it doesn't do anything else, nor will it at any time in the foreseeable future. the only viable product was the surgery robot, the rest was musk's usual flimflam, and i wouldn't exactly trust a musk run company to build a reliable robot either

~~`<biohacking>`~~

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

endlessmonotony posted:

As someone who already has an implant in their skull that idea is amazing.

It's bad on so very many layers.

There's the obvious questions like "what does it do and how does it do it?" and "what if I don't loving want a hole drilled in my skull?", but there's also questions of "how do you maintain it?", "what do we do when the person needs a MRI?" and "what if the person starts showing stroke symptoms?".

This is already a hassle on way less invasive and way less complex brain implants, even mine being wirelessly programmable adds a whole goddamn lot of steps to anything relating to my head.

you must be mistaken. elong personally invented brain implants

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Carthag Tuek posted:

now this is interesting

technically true if it gives you a stroke and kills you in a year

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PIZZA.BAT posted:

technically true if it gives you a stroke and kills you in a year

tbh it's a bit slow

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I know I've seen a Brain-computrer interface somewhere that already did typing. I know this is just more Tesla hype, but everthing shown or described in that demo has been done before.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I didn't watch the presentation but I'm having trouble finding if he cited any scientific studies at all? It sounds like he just got a Nazi doctor to drill a hole in a pig's head and stick a Fitbit inside with no particular hypothesis or testing protocol.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

I didn't watch the presentation but I'm having trouble finding if he cited any scientific studies at all? It sounds like he just got a Nazi doctor to drill a hole in a pig's head and stick a Fitbit inside with no particular hypothesis or testing protocol.

IIRC Krieger was actually secretly :jewish: in that season, though?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Little Death posted:

I know I've seen a Brain-computrer interface somewhere that already did typing. I know this is just more Tesla hype, but everthing shown or described in that demo has been done before.

it's incredible that our lord and savior elan muks created time travel and went back in time and created a brain interface for those that needed it most

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

at least 3 pigs actually!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/usuallymyfault/status/1297946052159352832?s=20

didn't love the car enough, i guess

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Endless Mike posted:

didn't love the car enough, i guess
Looks like systematic firings to avoid vesting and payouts. Wow. What a gently caress.

Also:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

hobbesmaster posted:

elon musk whats to drill a coin sized hole in your skull and use a robot to to install a device his company developed

sadly there will be millions of people that want to do this

he says there will be no noticeable neural damage! just look at these 3 pigs!

just LOL. I literally pitched this idea for a 7th grade English presentation in which we were supposed to make up some product for people to invest in. I distinctly remember thinking "who cares how it would really work". apparently I could have been the next elon musk.

thank god I avoided that fate

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

not the first time

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

update on my stupid model 3 poo poo that i know you guys dont give a gently caress about

on friday, i popped the screen back in, it didn't power on for 30 seconds, and when it did the screen wasn't responding to touches. a two-button wheel reboot thing got it working again, whew. i slapped on a lovely $25 silicone cover around the edges cause i'll probably do stupid poo poo to it again.

have you guys noticed the error about the 12V battery? yeah, apparently it died. also, a/c doesn't work when it has a bad 12V battery, yay. i immediately drove down to the marietta service center, and they popped a new battery in minutes, and it was free of charge.

so everything's back to normal after getting rear ended and my clumsy screen bashing. who knows when i'll pop back in here so you guys can laugh at me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's some quality barefoot driving

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

that's some quality barefoot driving

i was wearing flip flops that day, i hate driving with flip flops

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i was wearing flip flops that day, i hate driving with flip flops

same because the pedal always gets stuck in the flip flop and a shoe is way easier to muscle memory

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you should. flipflops are a stuck accelerator waiting to happen and you should probably hedge your bets there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i will state that more than one of us in this thread

* loving hates your car and thinks you're a huge dummy for putting up with it
* really appreciates your periodic posting of weird poo poo that happens to that car

it's horrifying but also legitimately fascinating

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

not me, i love the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i do appreciate you posting about your car trying to kill you too.

that'll be funny right up until it finally does.

then it'll be hilarious