Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I put my collection away to make room downstairs for an extra wfh office. It's all alara and forward plus esper stoneblad and breakfast burrito in there somewhere.

And in hindsight very random still sealed product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Buying multiple cases of VIP boosters isn't my thing, but then again I own at least 4 decks worth more than a decent used car so...

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wizzardstaff posted:

Everything I've seen about Arena vs paper MTG with regards to customer communication reminds me all too closely of my own company, which produces multiple software applications that are technically compatible and interdependent but are actually produced by teams who hate each other and want nothing to do with each other.

Pretty amazing username post combo

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I wanna see more of people's collection. Show me your swag.

I sold off my collection years ago, I miss owning really cool mtg poo poo.. Nowadays I'm only sitting on a box of ikoria collector's boosters.

Here's a build of Lands that's a few years old, plus a few of my collection of forests

https://imgur.com/a/HBXVM

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I have a foil teferi I opened at a GP. That’s still good right?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
For now, if you look at the upper left corner with a jewelers loup it'll tell you how many days until the card destroys itself.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Corbeau posted:

I feel like this kinda just passed under the radar in the frenzy but I very much want to know more about this.
As someone said upthread, it's only for the multiplayer component of it. Shandalar is still amazing though and people have made it compatible with modern machines. I don't have a download link handy but try poking around the slightlymagic forums and you can find it I'm sure. The also have info on Forge, which is a fun little AI driven Magic game that you can play on Android devices. You can also try the old Duels of the Planeswalker games with a bunch of new decks if that's your thing.

Reik posted:

I gave my collection to a friend that builds decks and cubes for us to play with casually. I had a playset of Lion's Eye Diamonds and didn't know the price on them went up :(
LED is a card that didn't make sense to me for years, who would want that. Then I saw a streamer crack one in response to Yawgmoth's Will in vintage cube storm and the world's biggest lightbulb went off in my head.

Also,

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Here's a build of Lands that's a few years old, plus a few of my collection of forests

https://imgur.com/a/HBXVM

lands has always been one of my favorite archetypes and im so fuckin mad i didnt buy tabernacles when they were around 200

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My collection is in one large Tupperware storage bin and two smaller bins, it's horribly unorganized other than one of the smaller bins holding all of my sleeved decks.

The most impressive thing in my collection is probably my mostly foiled-out Modern Mill deck but I still have a few cards to go before it's complete.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I put my collection away to make room downstairs for an extra wfh office. It's all alara and forward plus esper stoneblad and breakfast burrito in there somewhere.

Holy smokes, Chaos draft at Fuzzy Mammal's house.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Shrecknet posted:

gently caress the haters cracking packs is awesome. Stupid monkey brain like surprises in crinkle paper.

"crinkle paper" is now the code word for foil cards

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

boo_radley posted:

"crinkle paper" is now the code word for foil cards

no those are pringles

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m confused where do you get the 3 boxes worth of 2XM boosters from?
WOTC support. and it's just shy of two boxes, aren't 2XM boxes 24 packs each?

presumably they're doing this to avoid a class-action lawsuit over the false advertising, and I'll take it because from prior class-action experience, I would get approximately enough for a burger king impossible burger in like 7 years after the lawsuit.

house of the dad posted:

I have a foil teferi I opened at a GP. That’s still good right?
is it a core 2021 teferi? there's literally 9 different versions of that one for some stupid reason, ranging from 20-60 bucks. check the versions on here and find which numbered one it is

Grifter posted:

As someone said upthread, it's only for the multiplayer component of it. Shandalar is still amazing though and people have made it compatible with modern machines. I don't have a download link handy but try poking around the slightlymagic forums and you can find it I'm sure. The also have info on Forge, which is a fun little AI driven Magic game that you can play on Android devices. You can also try the old Duels of the Planeswalker games with a bunch of new decks if that's your thing.
Gaby Spartz made a very helpful installation guide for Shandalar, I highly recommend it if anyone wants to play. Shandalar is a bit janky but man is it a unique and fun game, and they will never, ever, EVER remake or rerelease it because that wouldn't be exploitable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ElS9C7qik&hd=1

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Grifter posted:

As someone said upthread, it's only for the multiplayer component of it. Shandalar is still amazing though and people have made it compatible with modern machines. I don't have a download link handy but try poking around the slightlymagic forums and you can find it I'm sure.

It's so sad that the version that had all the cards in single player as well was purged from the internet in a storm of internet drama. That's what I get for not keeping a copy around =(

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

is it a core 2021 teferi? there's literally 9 different versions of that one for some stupid reason, ranging from 20-60 bucks. check the versions on here and find which numbered one it is

Well, seeing as he said he opened it at a GP...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
got around to making that buying/selling/trading thread post for the VIP stuff, will add the non-box topper stuff later: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3679632&pagenumber=424&perpage=40#post507653736

also, a long shot, but are there any folks in here with excess Unstable rare variants or extra near mint Unglued cards? I'm short a couple Unstable cards for a complete set and like a fifth of an Unglued set roughly, the above post has everything I'm after listed.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Cynic Jester posted:

It's so sad that the version that had all the cards in single player as well was purged from the internet in a storm of internet drama. That's what I get for not keeping a copy around =(
I'm interested in both the idea that it had the cards in single player and the internet drama. Go on...

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Here is some random life counters I dug up while looking for a few cards for EDH. I can't even begin to calculate how many games I played with the sleeved one and the other two I have never actually used. I picked them up for $15 probably 10-11 years ago because they look cool.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.facetofacegames.com/allosaurus-shepherd-jumpstart/

lol I know Jumpstsrt has distribution issues but today I learned Allosaurus Shepherd is over a hundred bucks

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

fadam posted:

https://www.facetofacegames.com/allosaurus-shepherd-jumpstart/

lol I know Jumpstsrt has distribution issues but today I learned Allosaurus Shepherd is over a hundred bucks

Good lord

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

loving why.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Shrecknet posted:

loving why.
:capitalism:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

There’s just not a whole lot of them floating around and it’s a powerful effect a lot of decks in different formats want. Once the Jumpstart pipeline starts up again it should go down a lot, iirc they’re going to keep it in print for a while.

The memey mill lord that only Reddit guys have any interest in is like 30 bucks.

Edit- here’s a price visualizer:

https://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz&s=JMP

Stuff like Tinybones being 50 bucks is pretty telling.

fadam fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 29, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
https://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz&s=JMP

Prices are insane right now. I had originally planned to save the packs intact for future grab-and-play shenanigans, but instead I ended up selling anything remotely good I opened for store credit. When boxes are $100 again I'm going to pick up another one, format is fun as hell for casual play.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I wonder if a lot of these Jumpstart unique cards will also be in Commander Legends. Turn around time between Jumpstart and Commander Legends probably wasn't long enough to plan for Jumpstart being so short printed unexpectedly.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i would imagine the prices would be a lot more down to earth if the set had actually been played in paper in significant amounts compared to non-pandemic sets

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

flatluigi posted:

i would imagine the prices would be a lot more down to earth if the set had actually been played in paper in significant amounts compared to non-pandemic sets

Oh, for sure they would be.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
It's a rare card in a niche product with a print run lower then it's demand that is being speculated to have a strong impact on Legacy and is likely going to become a cEDH staple.

Also, Magic nerds are bad with money.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There are also roughly 10,000,000 Elf decks in the Commander world and no one hates getting their spells countered more than Timmy. Shepherd is in the unfortunate sweet spot like Stoneforge Mystic was, where it’s an incredibly powerful tournament level card that also happens to perfectly slot into even the most casual of green decks. Literally everyone who plays Magic could find a home for this card, compared to Emiel or Tinybones, who are decidedly more narrow.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I still want an Emiel and I have one in my cart right now, but I keep thinking "maybe it'll go down..." But it never does.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve heard that Mystery Boosters, Jumpstart, and 2XM were all supposed to be printed to order and would be available and according to literally every retailer in North and South Carolina that is simply not the case. I have no idea what’s going on but every other major toy company has gotten back up to speed on to production in light of COVID and Hasbro is a billion dollar mega corporation so I honestly have no idea what the gently caress is going on anymore.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve heard that Mystery Boosters, Jumpstart, and 2XM were all supposed to be printed to order and would be available and according to literally every retailer in North and South Carolina that is simply not the case. I have no idea what’s going on but every other major toy company has gotten back up to speed on to production in light of COVID and Hasbro is a billion dollar mega corporation so I honestly have no idea what the gently caress is going on anymore.

Here in Nebraska apparently every local game store got less than half of the Jumpstart they ordered, and the one I usually visit had sold out before 5 PM on release day. I just want to pick up 8 packs for not gently caress you pricing and play a couple casual games with my wife.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Vidmaster posted:

Here in Nebraska apparently every local game store got less than half of the Jumpstart they ordered, and the one I usually visit had sold out before 5 PM on release day. I just want to pick up 8 packs for not gently caress you pricing and play a couple casual games with my wife.

That's exactly what I did with my box, and to be honest the gameplay of Jumpstart wasn't all that great if that's any consolation. It felt like the vast majority were just non-games. There's the normal Magic RNG of getting mana screwed out of one of your colors combined with sometimes on player having a great synergistic pairing like Goblins and Lightning being Red Decks Wins quality and the other having some major anti-synergy combo like Milling and Cats where you just durdle around for a few turns and die.

Luckily I opened two of the mill guy, two tinybones, and a few other random cards that I promptly turned around and sold so I made my money back but also didn't get either of the two cards I was hoping for (Allosaurus Shepherd and Emiel the Blessed). I'm just going to wait for the second printing to pick those up with the store credit I got from selling off the mythics I did open.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The actual gameplay of Jumpstart is extremely piss poor and almost always decided before the round starts. If your opponent opened a planeswalker pack every card in their deck is better than the best card in your deck. The power levels are all over the place.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Hey do you guys have any strong recommendations for a web cam/stand setup for paper magic games? I'm going to be plugging it into a surface pro if that matters.

Thanks in advance

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ybrik posted:

Hey do you guys have any strong recommendations for a web cam/stand setup for paper magic games? I'm going to be plugging it into a surface pro if that matters.

Thanks in advance

I think the best one is the Logitech c920(s), but you're not going to be able to get one, or if you do, expect to pay double for it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Grifter posted:

I'm interested in both the idea that it had the cards in single player and the internet drama. Go on...

https://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=19626

That's the drama. The files I have not been able to find since before that went down.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 29, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Maro has said that basically jumpstart can only be made at some (not all) of their usual printers.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Ybrik posted:

Thanks in advance

How good is your phone? If it’s relatively new, get a program called iVCam and use your phone as a webcam.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Balon posted:

How good is your phone? If it’s relatively new, get a program called iVCam and use your phone as a webcam.

I've got an iPhone 7 is that able to use the app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Ok I just grabbed a 1080p Webcam and a stand. I think my phone might be usable but I have this mental image of me forgetting to turn it off vibrate and it falling and spiking an expensive piece of cardboard so I'll go the safer route lol