Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And eventually they had cover versions of songs, so they were paying some money, but not the big bucks you'd need for the real artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

JOHN CENA posted:

i always tended to enjoy feds that just used real music from the start like roh and pwg. roh would just include it on their dvds and hope nobody noticed until the hdnet deal came in and raised their exposure. i always wondered how ecw got away with it on tv and ppv. people claim that heyman had music industry contacts but because its heyman i somehow do not believe that

they weren't allowed to. paul was lucky his dad was a really good lawyer

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Smoking Crow posted:

they weren't allowed to. paul was lucky his dad was a really good lawyer
Yeah, and it's not exactly clear if the Tommy Boy deal was real.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
The Tommy Boy deal was that Heyman got $1000/week from Tommy Boy for commercial time, that was it. He made up some bullshit story years later about them giving him $1000/week to have 2 Cold Scorpio use their songs (lol what) and that's how he got to use all the music for free.

I think Dreamer said Heyman didn't license any music other than the Harry Slash and ECW album stuff and just hoped no one would notice - free TV clearances back then were a grey area, but he knew when he switched to PPV that charging people money and then playing the music would be more of a risk. That's why a lot the music started changing to in-house/covers after Barely Legal. They weren't doing national VHS releases other than mail-order stuff, so they could get away with putting shows out and not editing out the music since it wasn't sold in stores. Obviously when they went out of business and Pioneer started putting out ECW DVD's, it was quickly realized they were hosed and everything needed to be heavily edited.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I don't know all of the ins and outs of the ECW situation, but some broad strokes of "music clearance", in the era of ECW:

Pretty much all licensing of music makes a distinction between "recordings" and "ephemeral/broadcasting" use. In the 1980s and 1990s, there was a pretty clear cut distinction between the two; a television or radio broadcast was ephemeral, whereas a VHS/DVD or cassette/CD was permanent and a 'recording'. Most ephemeral uses (whether broadcast or things like 'playing recorded music over the loudspeakers in a public place like a stadium or wrestling show') were covered under a blanket license. So to use "Enter Sandman" as an example:

Radio stations could play "Enter Sandman" all they wanted because they had a blanket license from BMI/ASCAP (ASCAP being the group that handles Metallica's copyrights). Likewise Yankee Stadium could play "Enter Sandman" when Mariano Rivera walks out because they also have a blanket license. Most TV broadcasters have blanket licenses too so if an MTV show wanted to use "Enter Sandman" in the background of an MTV Rock N Jock B-Ball Jam airing, they could too.

With a blanket license you're supposed to have a log of all of the music you play, which you submit to the licensors and they take the pool of the blanket licenses you and everyone else bought and distribute it out to the songwriters/performers. There's no sort of approval process for this; an artist can't say "102.7 FM is allowed to play my new single, but 92.3 isn't because one of their DJs made fun of me." The Allan Parsons Project couldn't prohibit Ricky Steamboat (or the Chicago Bulls) from using Sirius as their entrance theme because they're Horsemen/Pistons fans. This extends out to today with Donald Trump or other politicians using music by artists who disagree politically, because they've got a blanket license for putting on live events, though some musicians are basically suing Trump anyway

This all got very complicated as people mentioned when the line between ephemeral broadcasts and 'permanent' recordings started to blur (in terms of on demand video, streaming radio, etc.), though it was pretty clear cut when the home video/DVD market really opened up to things that weren't movies. You have to seek out and obtain individual licenses for every song you include on a home video/DVD, which is why it either took forever or we got bowlderized re-edited DVD/streaming re-releases of old WCW/WWF shows, Miami Vice, Northern Exposure, The State, any variety show with live musical guests, etc.

What's not clear with ECW/Paul Heyman is if he ever even bothered getting a blanket license for those old shows; my understanding is that if you were a network/cable show, you'd just be able to use their license so any music used on an old WCW show was covered under Turner's contract, old Raws were covered under USA's, etc. ECW for the bulk of its television run was syndicated, which I believe means that ECW would have had to cover that. There's also the issue that commercials are covered under completely different licenses, so hypothetically using Misrilou for ECW ads would have required an actual contract. Nothing about ECW or Paul Heyman suggests to me he bothered to do any of this.

This incidentally is also probably why no one in AEW is using their indie music; it's true that it would be really easy to legally license Jane or Tarzan Boy or whatever to air on TNT, but it would be a complicated web of licenses to make sure they don't get sued for streaming that song on FITE TV, or broadcast on TSN, or letting you purchase it after the broadcast on B/R Live etc.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Edge & Christian posted:

What's not clear with ECW/Paul Heyman is if he ever even bothered getting a blanket license for those old shows; my understanding is that if you were a network/cable show, you'd just be able to use their license so any music used on an old WCW show was covered under Turner's contract, old Raws were covered under USA's, etc. ECW for the bulk of its television run was syndicated, which I believe means that ECW would have had to cover that.

I'd think channels like SportsChannel, Sunshine Network and MSG which carried ECW would have had blanket licenses for in-stadium hockey/baseball/basketball music

TNN probably did too for Monster Jam or rodeos or whatever - they had an entire show that was just live footage from a line dancing club at some point, so I'm sure they had some kind of music licensing deal

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

it's really hard to understate how bad paul heyman was at business

the man lost money on licensing a video game

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Wasn't that because he desperately needed funds to stay afloat and as a result, got Acclaim to give ECW an advance/invest in the company? I would imagine both ECW games sold like poo poo too.

I think they also lost money on the ECW Action Figures. A lot of the late era ECW licensing deals seem to be rather bad because Paul just needed the immediate money infusion to keep the grift going.

I would have to look up the ECW bankruptcy Observer issues again for all the figures, but I remember Acclaim, Original San Francisco Toy Makers, and the NY TV channels being at the top of the list of creditors claiming losses from ECW going under

bartok
May 10, 2006

Weren't the ECW games pretty much reskins of WWF Attitude?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

bartok posted:

Yes

Even the Gameboy Color one

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Though at least the second game added a bunch of dumb gimmick matches. The first didn't even have that

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

bartok posted:

They didn't even update the names of the internal files. If you explore the disc (or put it on a Playstation Classic), it still calls everything WWF Attitude.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

Though at least the second game added a bunch of dumb gimmick matches. The first didn't even have that

There was a throw your opponent into lava match.

A side note, some of the generic themes from those two games are quite fun to listen and compare to the real ones.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Those and the WWF Attitude game were so tedious to play. Pausing every 30 secs to bring up the menu and read what 10-button combo does a DDT.

Also they didn’t bother to include everybody’s specific moves so like half the roster in each game had a “close enough” move as their finisher

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

With a blanket license you're supposed to have a log of all of the music you play, which you submit to the licensors and they take the pool of the blanket licenses you and everyone else bought and distribute it out to the songwriters/performers. There's no sort of approval process for this; an artist can't say "102.7 FM is allowed to play my new single, but 92.3 isn't because one of their DJs made fun of me." The Allan Parsons Project couldn't prohibit Ricky Steamboat (or the Chicago Bulls) from using Sirius as their entrance theme because they're Horsemen/Pistons fans.
As a former volunteer DJ I can confirm that it's a huge pain in the rear end to keep a playlist of everything you play and exactly how much of the track you played.

quote:

You have to seek out and obtain individual licenses for every song you include on a home video/DVD, which is why it either took forever or we got bowlderized re-edited DVD/streaming re-releases of old WCW/WWF shows, Miami Vice, Northern Exposure, The State, any variety show with live musical guests, etc.
It took forever to get Daria on DVD.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

There was a throw your opponent into lava match.

A side note, some of the generic themes from those two games are quite fun to listen and compare to the real ones.

The entire terrible Warzone-engine series remains completely justified by the existence of this theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22okVsQVXAM

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CarlCX posted:

The entire terrible Warzone-engine series remains completely justified by the existence of this theme:

*does the Let's Go Skiing taunt*

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The best thing about those games is listening to all the clips totally out of context and the weird challenge/taunt clips on PSX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEx4R_4XED0

The HBK "It's time to go to school, Jackson!" is particular mystifying. Love Owen's "Here's the part where I hit my move!"

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
WWF War Zone was worth it entirely for the Ahmed Johnson promos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bGErn95VGQ

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Halloween Jack posted:

As a former volunteer DJ I can confirm that it's a huge pain in the rear end to keep a playlist of everything you play and exactly how much of the track you played.

I had radio shows in college, and now I know why we had to do that. I would have thought a college station would be exempt, but who knows.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

TL posted:

I forgot about toothy boy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TL posted:

Ahmed was like the Platonic ideal of a 1980s WWF wrestler. Insane promos, insanely jacked look, good presence, oh what could've been.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MorrisBae posted:

The Tommy Boy deal was that Heyman got $1000/week from Tommy Boy for commercial time, that was it. He made up some bullshit story years later about them giving him $1000/week to have 2 Cold Scorpio use their songs (lol what) and that's how he got to use all the music for free.
Recently someone mentioned to me that they looked into it and Tommy Boy didn't have any control of any of Scorpio's various ECW themes, anyway, though I haven't done that research myself.

More broadly, when we did the ECW's road to PPV/Mass Transit BTS Patreon special, we realized what a large part of the situation probably was. For years, the end of the show credited "Mike Esterman/On Q TV" as "music coordinator," and we decided to Google him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GmrFJbjqaU

It became clear that Mike Esterman was some NYC club guy with one of those public access shows that mixed interviews, performance footage, and regular commercial music videos. There were even some public access shows that were just music videos. There were a bunch of these back in the day, and a lot of them actually got the videos sent to them officially from the labels. We came to the obvious conclusion that—almost certainly for the music videos and probably also for playing entrance music—their theoretical defense was based on using whatever license and/or implicit approval Esterman had to use the music. It would also explain the choice to keep some of the footage of the original music videos in the ECW music videos with the wrestling footage; that perhaps it was more than an artistic choice.

Smoking Crow posted:

it's really hard to understate how bad paul heyman was at business

the man lost money on licensing a video game

Tato posted:

Wasn't that because he desperately needed funds to stay afloat and as a result, got Acclaim to give ECW an advance/invest in the company? I would imagine both ECW games sold like poo poo too.

I think they also lost money on the ECW Action Figures. A lot of the late era ECW licensing deals seem to be rather bad because Paul just needed the immediate money infusion to keep the grift going.

I would have to look up the ECW bankruptcy Observer issues again for all the figures, but I remember Acclaim, Original San Francisco Toy Makers, and the NY TV channels being at the top of the list of creditors claiming losses from ECW going under
Sort of. I need to refresh my memory on the bankruptcy coverage, too—the original docs aren't on PACER anymore for reasons I don't understand, as I thought there was a time limit before bankruptcy cases fell off the site, but that was years ago and the Acclaim bankruptcy from just 3 years later is still up—but here's what I can add off the top of my head:

Acclaim paid $1.5 million for 15% of the company (that's why Heyman's pitch to Billy Corgan a year later was $1 million for 10%). I don't THINK ECW ended up owing anything specifically due to the terms of the license as much as they quickly leveraged the relationship out the rear end and never paid the loans back.

With syndication affiliates, those were time buys where ECW just fell behind in paying. MSG let them stay for close to a year without payment, which is kind of insane.

With Toymakers, I don't remember that debt ever being explained, so we have to assume that there was either a loan or an advance that was actually a glorified loan. Same for FarmClub.com.

TNN wasn't a debtor at the end, but the deal required so much money flowing into TNN and increased production expenses that it also contributed to the end of the company.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Oh god I totally forgot about the last ditch FarmClub thing just to try and get on USA’s radar

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Basically like 95% of ECW's existence was Paul Heyman trying to bullshit his way out of bankruptcy

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Benne posted:

Basically like 95% of ECW's existence was Paul Heyman trying to bullshit his way out of bankruptcy

95% seems low

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CarlCX posted:

I'm almost positive I had this game and I don't remember this at all.

Wait, I think I only had the second one, Warzone. Attitude was the first, yes?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Attitude was the second

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, then I have no idea how I missed that song, I definitely had Attitude. That was the one that opened with a tribute to Owen, right?

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

I had both and the only thing I remember about them was the character heel/face alignment being out of date and having to enter in a Mortal Kombat fatality buttom combination to do anything other than a basic move.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I really liked Attitude since it was the first wrestling game I played with decent create-a-wrestler and career modes. May have been the only game back then I bought the day it came out - called a bunch of local stores and most of them wouldn't sell it to me until they did it for people who had put in pre-orders. I thought the engine was fine, but I didn't play a lot of other wrestling games, and a lot of what I did play was much worse (WCW Nitro for PSX was atrocious).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Warzone/Attitude had slightly better looking graphics and actual voice lines, and dogshit everything else, especially animations. No Mercy is the best wrestling game ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLy9gglWLsg&t=115s

How could you not enjoy these clips from Rocky?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 29, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i lolled irl at austins diving headbutt

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I remember Warzone and Attitude being better than Nitro and Thunder, though not by much. On Tour and Revenge were good, and No Mercy was of course even better using the same engine. I liked Mayhem at the time (it has something I've never seen in another wrestling game: the ability to create an invisible wrestler, or a wrestler who is simply a floating head) but it's quite stiff to play, and while I played the heck out of the first two Smackdown games I don't think they've aged anywhere near as well as No Mercy.

But at least none of them are as bad as Backstage Assault. That's the first time I remember getting seriously miffed with a Blockbuster rental.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MorrisBae posted:

I'd think channels like SportsChannel, Sunshine Network and MSG which carried ECW would have had blanket licenses for in-stadium hockey/baseball/basketball music

TNN probably did too for Monster Jam or rodeos or whatever - they had an entire show that was just live footage from a line dancing club at some point, so I'm sure they had some kind of music licensing deal
Got distracted by this but looking it up, you're right. Independent stations are generally responsible for signing up for blanket licenses for whatever they produce, whether it's syndicated or otherwise. TNN (which was under the Viacom Umbrella) 100% would have had it, but even if a UHF station in Kansas City decided to air ECW Hardcore TV in the mid 1990s, they would have had a blanket license and if they didn't it wasn't Heyman's problem.

The real hang-up for ECW using all those popular songs would have been is if anyone was paying attention to their VHS tape selling, or I guess if BMI/ASCAP showed up to one of their events and asked for their live event license. Which sounds absurd, but BMI/ASCAP has an entire department that goes around to restaurants, bars, bookstores, anywhere that might be playing music to ensure they've got a license and have paid up. If you're just playing the radio (or I guess a free over the air television channel) you're in the clear, but if you were playing music off of a copyrighted CD/LP/cassette and didn't have a public broadcast license, you're technically in violation of copyright. Because of the proliferation of iPods and other devices in the early 2000s, they went on an insane run of going around fining coffee shops, independent shops, etc. ECW was long dead by then though.

Anyway, what's even weirder is that the album of ECW Theme Songs But Recorded By Knock Off Bands came out in 1998, which was before they went onto TNN or (to my knowledge) got a legit home video distribution deal. That could have just been down to it being a lot cheaper to put out a CD that way, though.

When did ROH switch over to original composition for entrances?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Edge & Christian posted:

ECW Theme Songs But Recorded By Knock Off Bands
They actually got some pretty big names on that covers album. Motörhead did a cover of Enter Sandman, and Bruce Dickinson did a great version of The Zoo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tQ5FIG_m3w

White Zombie, Megadeth and Anthrax were on there as well. I was pretty surprised to see how many big-name artists they had on ECW Extreme Music.

I also like the cover photo, which looks like Sandman was trying to put up a barbed wire fence but was too drunk to do it properly and this was the end result.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 29, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Edge & Christian posted:

When did ROH switch over to original composition for entrances?

Some point in 2009 I think. But after they started on HDNet for some reason. Because I just checked the DVD for the first show of The Final Countdown Tour and ironically enough Bryan Danielson is coming out to a very bad knock-off of The Final Countdown, where as at the 7th Year Anniversary he had the proper tunes.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Doc M posted:

I also like the cover photo, which looks like Sandman was trying to put up a barbed wire fence but was too drunk to do it properly and this was the end result.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CarlCX posted:

I never knew Japanese Death Match Legend the Death Dealer Dr. Luther had a singing career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I liked Mayhem at the time (it has something I've never seen in another wrestling game: the ability to create an invisible wrestler, or a wrestler who is simply a floating head)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNHem-LeOZw