Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Small White Soapstone is one of the best additions to the game and easily one of the best ways of getting your humanity back. Really sad they didn't keep it in 3, helping clear an area without going so far as double-teaming the boss is good fun in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can still get summoned as a hollow(well, when you're unembered but same thing) with the normal white sign soapstone in ds3. I don't really get why people like the small white soapstone so much considering you can already easily get back embers that way.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

because of the short length. that's the thing people like. being able to help clear basically just one difficult area and peacing out is so much more appealing than having to stick it out with your host all the way to the nearest boss to get your reward. that has a very high failure chance and mostly depends upon the host and not you. it can be fun but it's an entirely different sort of thing from "hmm i am low on resources right now, let me lay down a sign and be back in three minutes"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The whole point is that it actually incentivizes you to help with the level and you'll get out and get your reward after a short time of doing anything. As a normal phantom you have to get a boss kill so most people put signs near bosses. Putting it earlier significantly increases the risk of wasted time as if you don't get a boss kill for any number of possible reasons, you gain nothing.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

You can still get summoned as a hollow(well, when you're unembered but same thing) with the normal white sign soapstone in ds3. I don't really get why people like the small white soapstone so much considering you can already easily get back embers that way.

If I get summoned at the start of the very first level in Dark Souls 3 I have to play until either I die, the host dies, or we get to the boss. Sometimes I want to help someone fight mobs and explore but not have the whooole shebang in front of me.

Other than souls there's no good reward for soapstoning if you die before the boss.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah, back when DS2 was poppin' you could find small signs basically anywhere and call in a small army, or make some pesky invader's life more interesting. The casual co-op was one of the best aspects of DS2.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Dremcon posted:

Anyone have a good guide or checklist for SotFS to help get all the achievements? I beat it guideless a month ago and started a new game with the intent to use a guide to see what I missed, but quickly stopped due to burnout.

I’m on DS3 now and nearing the end, so I’d like to go back to SotFS and complete it. 100%’ing DS1 was some of the most fun I’ve had in a game.

Edit: NPC quests too, if possible. I never summon NPCs on my first DS run-through so I’m sure I missed a lot.

The Wikidot wiki isn't being updated any more, but it's generally the best resource.

Also, the wandering NPC questlines in DS2 are all resolved through summoning them for a couple boss fights to get the ending.

Also also I think there's like two spells that are only available either in NG+ or NG++.

The only achievement that's tricky is the Gathering of Exiles one, since that requires getting everyone to hang out in Majula at the same time, and it's easy to wind up with Licia dead or to miss Gilligan entirely.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
On top of the many convenience reasons listed before, I also quite liked the smooth & silky stone to trade off as a reward more than I did the Token of Fidelity. It was a pretty solid, universally useful reward that regularly sent me to the crows. Granted, I just like the crows.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

You can use it as a slow heal, too. Honestly, if the crows had more unique item trades, they'd probably be my favorite. Having junk you can trade out for shots at a titanite chunk or slab was a nice reason to keep coming back.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Had a great coop moment recently. I wanted to clear out the room with the Stone soldier and Ruin sentinels and it’s chore. Decided to get some help from the NPC shade and saw an actual human sunbro sign.

The human had a rude name, a ridiculous outfit and a gigantic hammer. Cleared everything like mad, ran around pointing out all the items and the hidden bonfire, and finally helped me beat the Dragonrider duo.

After the boss was down they chugged all estus in a single gulp, Praised the sun and went away. :fyadride:

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
being invaded even after you’ve cleared an area and are just dropping your soapstone to grind Sunlight Medals takes me off guard every time

not that my guard being up would help because I’m apparently the worst PVP person

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Any good advice on fighting Fume Knight? Mostly on equipment and buffs. I can get it to second phase pretty reliably, but get stomped on all day.

I’m doing a mostly STR build with som DEX for using good weapons. I suck at twitch dodging and have used a shield for my least terrible attempts.

I can get >30 load with rags, but if I go for >70 I can wear semi-decent armor.

My leveled weapons are a claymore, a broadsword, a Heide Sword and a magic halberd. Been mostly using the Heide sword since it’s fast.

Should I go for fire resist? Longroll? Slower but heavier? Rings? Fashion?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

In phase 2, my first advice is keep him towards the center of the room so you always have space behind you to back up when he does his fireball circle.

I always emphasized fast rolling without a shield in phase 2, I imagine a Gyrm greatshield would be your best bet if you're using a shield. What gets people the most about Fume knight is that he can appear to be done with a swing combo and then follow it up with an ultra-delayed greatsword swing just when people think it's safe to attack or heal, so be vigilant for his fakeouts is key. You can always roll forward and left to both dodge through his flame sword sweep attack and his sword stab attack, both leave him open for hits even with a slow weapon. Slow/fast weapons don't really matter, there's just fewer chances to hit with a slow weapon.

You can also keep him from going into phase 2 period. When you chug estus at close range, his phase 1 AI will follow up with an overhead slam of his greatsword that leaves the sword cracked and red for the next 20 seconds. If you keep chugging every 20 seconds once he's under the threshold to transform, you can keep his sword cracked permanently, and he cannot go into phase 2 while his sword is cracked. Chugging at further range will trigger a stab with his short sword that won't affect his transformation.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

Any good advice on fighting Fume Knight? Mostly on equipment and buffs. I can get it to second phase pretty reliably, but get stomped on all day.

I’m doing a mostly STR build with som DEX for using good weapons. I suck at twitch dodging and have used a shield for my least terrible attempts.

My leveled weapons are a claymore, a broadsword, a Heide Sword and a magic halberd. Been mostly using the Heide sword since it’s fast.

Watch the video where the guy does it without dodging or running and wallow in your own mediocrity. It's what I did

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

axolotl farmer posted:

Never go for >30, it's not worth it at all.

The major determining factor here will be learning his timings, not your equipment or buffs. Some of his phase 2 moves are really slow(like the 'EEEEEE' burning sword sweep) and you have to delay your roll by a lot for them, others(like his running thrust) are quite fast.
Phase 1 also has fast and slow moves, but they're separated between which sword he's using. Phase 2 that's no longer the case so you just have to learn the animations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Oh hey it's people talking about the Fume Knight again!

NGDBSS posted:

To clarify/expand on what Mr Dog said previously, it's generally easier to not have to switch modes against the Fume Knight by equipping Velstadt's Helm as the host. If you do so he instead just goes straight to phase 2, with the following four attacks:
-A (relatively) quick multi-hit combo. Dodge away from this.
-A telegraphed point-blank AoE. Dodge or run away from this, including the dark fireballs that it releases after the initial burst.
-A slow fiery sweep of his sword. Learn how to dodge under this to his left, then smack him in the rear end once (or twice with a really fast weapon).
-A charging stab. Learn how to dodge towards him (effectively ducking under the sword), then smack him in the face once.

I used to have a hell of a lot of trouble with the Fume Knight, and hated him for having so much health. But then I took him apart as above, and with this strategy he's pretty easy. Just make sure not to stay in his face; by doing so you'll discourage him from using the combo (which is bad for counterattacking) and towards the charge (which is good for counterattacking). A lot of the bosses have some optimal range that encourages a particularly helpful distribution of attacks, but perhaps none more so than the Fume Knight (play keep-away!) and Sir Alonne (get in his face). (The Ancient Dragon doesn't loving count; he's a bonus boss.)
With enough experience you can punish all of these, but if you're fresh to the fight you should play keep-away for the harder-to-dodge attacks.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

axolotl farmer posted:

Is the Iron passage worth it? I’m getting mobbed and slammed and if I try to go Brave Sir Robin to the boss I get a fatroll curse and murdered.

Oh man I remember invading in there when the DLC was released... using greatbows, getting seeded, throwing Fire Orb... good times.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

Oh hey it's people talking about the Fume Knight again!

Thanks for the advice, everyone! :tipshat:

Will keep trying!

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011
I apologize in advance because I'm sure this question has been asked before. I've played through all the FromSoftware Souls/Soulslike games except for Dark Souls 2 and 3. I have both the original and the SOTFS versions of Dark Souls 2 on PC. For someone who hasn't played the game before, is it worth it play the original and then SOTFS or just jump straight into SOTFS?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I played DS2 for the first time about a year or so ago, and had the same question. I was told to just jump into SOTFS, and I did, and you know what? It was awesome.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I like both. I found the original to be easier. Enemy and item placement was tweaked quite a bit in SOTFS and made some areas a lot harder. Both are great though.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

SOTFS for the first-time experience. OG DS2 if you feel like checking it out afterward and seeing what things are different.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I couldn’t get into DS2 until SotFS, now it’s my favourite Souls game.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lord Grundle posted:

I apologize in advance because I'm sure this question has been asked before. I've played through all the FromSoftware Souls/Soulslike games except for Dark Souls 2 and 3. I have both the original and the SOTFS versions of Dark Souls 2 on PC. For someone who hasn't played the game before, is it worth it play the original and then SOTFS or just jump straight into SOTFS?

From seems to consider Scholar the "final" version, and it is the one with the most bosses, if you care about experiencing "all" of it.

I wouldn't play Scholar if you've never played any other Souls game to completion, since a lot of the early areas particularly expect you to come in with some expectation of the bullshit you'll face, but you should be fine.

Without going into the specifics: Scholar rearranges enemy and trap placement (sometimes to gently caress with players who played the base game to death, sometimes just to be fucky), it has more hostile and friendly NPC phantoms, rearranged item placements, it hides the DLC keys in the game rather than giving you them upfront, and (if you meet certain conditions) it has an extra optional boss the vanilla game doesn't have. If you have the time, it can be fun to explore both and get the different experiences, too. It's not much different than, say, playing through DS1 or DS3 with one of the big re-haul mods enabled.

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011
Thanks everyone for all the information. I'll start with SOTFS. If I can beat Sekiro I probably won't have a problem with the slight difficulty bump.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The absolute madman did it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-YQK1C54iE

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Guillermus posted:

The absolute madman did it:

pro-click

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I did that way back in vanilla DS2 but that was when Holy Water Urns were absurdly overpowered. Probably a much more impressive feat now.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Just beat Aava the Big Kitten. Now I get the complaints about enemies on turntables. :mad:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

just wait until you fight two of them!!!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The path there is surprisingly easy...

...once you've taken it thirty times.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GodFish posted:

The path there is surprisingly easy...

...once you've taken it thirty times.

Do it once you've gotten all the crowns and summon all three phantoms every time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Do it once you've gotten all the crowns and summon all three phantoms every time.

I hate that part so much that I ended doing this every time. Summon as much as I can and then just leave the one with the highest hp for the kitten duo so I can burn one down.

Gigadweeb
Sep 3, 2020
felt cute, thought I might delete later
seriously though Leydia robes are fashionable, goddamn, never seen people wear them

cum beast

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

^ good fashion souls

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Also, those icy hedgehogs in Eleum Loyce can bite my rotten undead rear end :mad:

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

I beat the pursuer in the forest of fallen giants, is he just going to keep showing up in all these random places in the lost bastille? I can't really take him on here the areas are too cramped.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BigHandsVince posted:

I beat the pursuer in the forest of fallen giants, is he just going to keep showing up in all these random places in the lost bastille? I can't really take him on here the areas are too cramped.

he shows up in four places in the lost bastille but iirc each one is treated as a different, non-respawning enemy so you only have to beat him once in each spot. also you can just run away if you don't want to fight him

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

BigHandsVince posted:

Summon some help. Distracting him is worth the health buff he gets.

You can also just come back to him once you're leveled up and have a stronger weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you can parry many of his attacks if that helps. his "pose and then hover forward and swipe" attack is pretty easy to parry.
HOWEVER, there's a really annoying issue where if you're locked on to him when he does that move, sometimes your character will just turn and parry in the wrong direction with no stick input. I have found no solution to this besides unlocking

also the early lost bastile area with the dogs+crossbowmen on wood platforms and a pursuer is by far one of the hardest fights in the whole game if you do it when you first come there