Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Man I love pecans. I used to like walnuts alot, but their taste is forever tainted by the memory of pecans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK so any objection to this?
- Move the plant thread from TGO back to DIY as a "horticulture" thread
- DIY gardening thread becomes the edibles thread? Like back to veggie gardening and similar "english country garden" content?
- Kaiser opens a new outdoorsy greenery thread in TGO

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Jaded Burnout posted:

- DIY gardening thread becomes the edibles thread? Like back to veggie gardening and similar "english country garden" content?

Makes sense.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah that makes sense.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas for the TGO thread let me know. I’ve got some recommendations on books about trees/forests etc but would love more. Also my very limited edible wild plant knowledge (greenbrier, cattails, and ground nut, lol)could certainly use some expansion. I know the woods of the SE US fairly well, but there’s lots of other types of forests and plants and things to learn about!

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hooray

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is good, but instead of making it "edibles vs horticulture", I'd say call the new one "all-purpose general plant poo poo of all kinds" and let the existing one be what it is, which is mostly "plant troubleshooting that happens to be dominated by vegetable poo poo but isn't required to be". Keep bonsai, keep hydroponics, open new "is this poison ivy????/can i get high eating this????" thread in TGO, and any new technique or type of plant that eventually gets big enough for it's own thread (permaculture/chompies/succs, etc) goes in DIY.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

HELLO LADIES posted:

This is good, but instead of making it "edibles vs horticulture", I'd say call the new one "all-purpose general plant poo poo of all kinds" and let the existing one be what it is, which is mostly "plant troubleshooting that happens to be dominated by vegetable poo poo but isn't required to be". Keep bonsai, keep hydroponics, open new "is this poison ivy????/can i get high eating this????" thread in TGO, and any new technique or type of plant that eventually gets big enough for it's own thread (permaculture/chompies/succs, etc) goes in DIY.

if anime can have its own subforum, then plants should have their own subforum too

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Sounds good to me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think that we should move the threads about growing into RR/PSP because really it's about the plants inflicting violence on each other and/or on the landscape, for our gain and amusement.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I think it’s worked out naturally pretty well. This thread is the horticulture catch all, the gardening thread is for productive food gardening, hydroponics is I assume weed and perhaps giant tomatoes, and the bonsai squad have their own super niche thing

No matter what each threads original intent was, the invisible hand of the free forums has guided the posters where they need to be

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

The champion Pacific madrone is growing right next to some lady’s house in Mendocino County, California.

drat, now I have an oak tree I want to nominate. There's a coastal live oak (quercus agrifolia) on my old college campus that's just massive and sprawling. Google Maps couldn't even get it in one shot.

Actually, the whole campus is really pretty imo. Retro 60s/70s buildings and lots of mature trees. There's even a creek that cuts through the campus and the banks are completely wild. Being able to sneak into the woods between classes was always a great way to relax.

Ok Comboomer posted:

if anime can have its own subforum, then plants should have their own subforum too

:yeah:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This magnificent specimen of Quercus lobata in Mendocino County is the largest oak on the continent.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Platystemon posted:

This magnificent specimen of Quercus lobata in Mendocino County is the largest oak on the continent.

:eyepop: wow that's a monster! I live in the land of huge live oaks (Quercus virginiana) but they are usually low and spreading to keep from getting hurricaned-that beast looks like a live oak that grew straight up.

I made a plant/tree chat in TGO that this kind of big tree chat would be perfect for!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938360

I think JB is moving this thread back home to DIY soon?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Platystemon posted:

I cant get enough of these giant tree pics bring en to the new thread. That second one?!? :eyepop:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I cant get enough of these giant tree pics bring en to the new thread. That second one?!? :eyepop:

The two big rear end oak trees in my yard are now struggling with feelings of inadequacy. Thanks plant/gardening/horticulture/420 thread :rolleyes:

Oil of Paris posted:

I think it's worked out naturally pretty well. This thread is the horticulture catch all, the gardening thread is for productive food gardening, hydroponics is I assume weed and perhaps giant tomatoes, and the bonsai squad have their own super niche thing

No matter what each threads original intent was, the invisible hand of the free forums has guided the posters where they need to be

I still feel like the OP is not very representative of the things that get posted here but hopefully things will pick back up whenever we move back to DIY. I haven't yelled at anyone about growing their succulents in disgusting natural soil for multiple weeks now.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hold on tight folks, we're going on a journey.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

A good old-fashioned plant identification request to celebrate the move:

What weird thing could be growing alongside my (unhappy) caladium?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The place we just moved into has this handsome Atlas cedar out front:

It's just a babby at around 50ft, but still quite impressive.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

A question about my aloe for the new/old plant thread!

I had always assumed that my aloe just liked growing kind of droopy since that's how I got it, but it occurred to me that's probably not the best logic :v:

The window faces east, I live in Massachusetts, and water about once a month currently with just water, no fertilizer. The aloe is about two years old now. If it's not supposed to be this droopy, how could I fix this? A grow light and a bit more watering?

The leaves do feel plump when I touch them, they are just barely starting to curl in so I watered them just now. I had a fungus gnats a few months back which made it lose some leaves but it didn't change in droopiness either way. My plants live on mostly benign neglect

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

The leaves do feel plump when I touch them, they are just barely starting to curl in so I watered them just now. I had a fungus gnats a few months back which made it lose some leaves but it didn't change in droopiness either way. My plants live on mostly benign neglect

The fungus gnats are kind of worrying because it suggests that your Aloe has been sitting in moist substrate for longer than it really should. A gritty mix won't hurt it, and it could definitely help.

That aside, it does look like it would appreciate some more sun. There are a few species of Aloe that can have narrower leaves and a slightly droopy habit but from the pictures it seems like it's reaching to get more light (causing it to be unable to support its leaves) or flattening out for the same reason. Are the droopy leaves limp if you try to move them or are they just fixed in that position?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah after the gnats I ended up repotting with half miracle gro succulent/cactus mix and half this stuff (https://www.amazon.com/Succulent-Cactus-Soil-Mix-Pre-Mixed/dp/B072HKXT2S) which has pumice and pine bark and some other things. The water drains out of the hole at the bottom pretty quickly ever since. Should I go even grittier?

The bottom ones are a bit limp, the top ones are fuller and keep their shape pretty well, they’re not resting on the edge of the pot.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

The bottom ones are a bit limp, the top ones are fuller and keep their shape pretty well, they’re not resting on the edge of the pot.

I have an aloe that was like this due to a period of neglect, and I wound up cutting off the droopy bottom leaves and repotting it deeper. It worked well for me but I think mine was farther gone than yours.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Yeah I think that bad boy needs a ton more light, I’d give that grow lamp a whirl

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Should I go even grittier?

The stuff you linked looks pretty good, but you're kind of defeating the purpose by mixing dirt in with it—it's also somehow way the gently caress more expensive than Bonsai Jack? If my indoor succulents in medium/small pots still have moisture in them more than three days after watering I start to get a little nervous, but whether or not you can achieve that indoors without going full gritty will depend on how well the humidity in your house/whatever is controlled. It has been humid as gently caress in MA lately, at least where I'm at.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 29, 2020

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Wallet posted:

The stuff you linked looks pretty good, but you're kind of defeating the purpose by mixing dirt in with it—it's also somehow way the gently caress more expensive than Bonsai Jack?

drat, didn’t know about this stuff. I have some potted plants like a jade and a hen and chicks that I think would really be happier in this. Not really my area of specialty so never looked for proper soil. I think they’re currently in a mix of leftover ancient soil conditioner (pine chips), some sand, and some smaller gravel that I took out from the driveway lol. So thanks!

Also I was just given several bromeliads as a congrats gift and this could be useful to propagate them from the their offsets, maybe??

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I find that often in my area Miracle-Gro mixes are already contaminated with fungus gnat larvae :( I've moved over to using exclusively promix with other amendments for airiness and grit because of this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

subpar anachronism posted:

I find that often in my area Miracle-Gro mixes are already contaminated with fungus gnat larvae :( I've moved over to using exclusively promix with other amendments for airiness and grit because of this.

Or, at minimum, fungus. The mold itself is harmless to your plants (if anything, it's arguably helpful since it breaks down the organic material) but if you're already dealing with a gnat problem it can make it way worse.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Oh so I screwed it up more trying to be cheap :sweatdrop: I'll keep bonsai jack in mind for next repotting and give a grow light a go for now, thanks goons!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

drat, didn’t know about this stuff. I have some potted plants like a jade and a hen and chicks that I think would really be happier in this. Not really my area of specialty so never looked for proper soil. I think they’re currently in a mix of leftover ancient soil conditioner (pine chips), some sand, and some smaller gravel that I took out from the driveway lol. So thanks!

Also I was just given several bromeliads as a congrats gift and this could be useful to propagate them from the their offsets, maybe??
All of my indoor succulents are in it at this point. You do need to give some occasional fertilizer (organic, many succulents are sensitive) but it's nice stuff.

I think bromeliads want a bit more moisture retention but I could be wrong.

subpar anachronism posted:

Yeah, it's kind of hard to avoid bringing in fungus gnats at some point if you are ever adding plants that you aren't washing all the soil off of so just using something they don't like as much as possible feels like the way to go. I got some as a bonus gift with a largeish papyrus that I couldn't resist when I saw it being sold for 6$ as an annual. I think I've gotten rid of them after applying diatomaceous earth for a few weeks, but we'll see.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 29, 2020

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

How soon can I repot a plant after... repotting a plant? I have an aloe and a kalanchoe that I potted in generic compost mix two weeks ago, as succulent soil was OOS in every shop in the area. I managed to get a good mix off of etsy finally, and I know they'd be happier in it.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Supposing you were a monster who figured special succulent soil wasn't THAT big a deal (eg, me) - if you repot in a different medium, do you need to try to remove every bit of soil from the roots before transplanting? Or can you leave the root ball in soil if the rest of the pot is succulent medium?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s an Amorphophallus titanun blooming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm1MJD-Qq5E

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Wallet posted:

All of my indoor succulents are in it at this point. You do need to give some occasional fertilizer (organic, many succulents are sensitive) but it's nice stuff.

I think bromeliads want a bit more moisture retention but I could be wrong.

Yeah, it's kind of hard to avoid bringing in fungus gnats at some point if you are ever adding plants that you aren't washing all the soil off of so just using something they don't like as much as possible feels like the way to go. I got some as a bonus gift with a largeish papyrus that I couldn't resist when I saw it being sold for 6$ as an annual. I think I've gotten rid of them after applying diatomaceous earth for a few weeks, but we'll see.

I've had good luck keeping them almost eradicated. I use mosquito bits in the soil and the bacteria feed on the eggs and kill them but are safe for people and pets. If I have a plant come in that seems to have a lot, I'll water with 1/3 drugstore level hydrogen peroxide to get a jump start killing what's in there.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I just pulled about two gallons of sludge out of my building's gutter. Turns out there was a plastic bottle blocking the downspout so it's probably been accumulating for a while. Is there any reason I shouldn't dry it all out and then add it to my compost? A lot of it is probably potting soil from my plants, which are on that roof, but I can't know how much. I've just shoveled it into some empty pots for the time being.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

showbiz_liz posted:

I just pulled about two gallons of sludge out of my building's gutter. Turns out there was a plastic bottle blocking the downspout so it's probably been accumulating for a while. Is there any reason I shouldn't dry it all out and then add it to my compost? A lot of it is probably potting soil from my plants, which are on that roof, but I can't know how much. I've just shoveled it into some empty pots for the time being.

Any tar on your roof? If not, neither are any other undesirable substances that might have gotten washed out then it's probably fine, probably just leaves, moss and your old soil after all.
Maybe mix in some suitable 'brown composting material' (leaves, small twigs, even shredded untreated cardboard etc) and leave it to rot down for a little longer as it's probably super wet.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

RickRogers posted:

Any tar on your roof? If not, neither are any other undesirable substances that might have gotten washed out then it's probably fine, probably just leaves, moss and your old soil after all.
Maybe mix in some suitable 'brown composting material' (leaves, small twigs, even shredded untreated cardboard etc) and leave it to rot down for a little longer as it's probably super wet.

Hmm, almost all of the roof isn't tar but there's about a yard of tar covered with gravel bits right by the gutter. Does that make it a non-starter?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RickRogers posted:

Yeah, I would probably make a cheap vermiculture setup and let the worms process it for a bit.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

showbiz_liz posted:

Hmm, almost all of the roof isn't tar but there's about a yard of tar covered with gravel bits right by the gutter. Does that make it a non-starter?

Ah, that's probably fine. Just don't eat your compost raw.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Yay, thanks!

The compost project is going well. Almost every day now I have to aggressively prune the flowers off two of my big basils and then I add them to the bin, so every time I open the lid now it smells awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

AfricanBootyShine posted:

How soon can I repot a plant after... repotting a plant? I have an aloe and a kalanchoe that I potted in generic compost mix two weeks ago, as succulent soil was OOS in every shop in the area. I managed to get a good mix off of etsy finally, and I know they'd be happier in it.

Those are both succulents, so have good water reserves to tide them over from any root disruption. I'd say just repot them.