Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Random anecdote: I've posted before about the 700sqft built-in-1960 one-bedroom wood-frame condos across the street that kept getting snapped up for $500K each. Well we met one of the new owners out on the street a few months ago. (Apparently my partner knows them tangentially.)

They're a couple, with a newborn, and a gigantic dog. In a one-bedroom. Apparently it's not working out, so they're thinking of "going back to renting". I'm curious about how that works so soon after buying a place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Random anecdote: I've posted before about the 700sqft built-in-1960 one-bedroom wood-frame condos across the street that kept getting snapped up for $500K each. Well we met one of the new owners out on the street a few months ago. (Apparently my partner knows them tangentially.)

They're a couple, with a newborn, and a gigantic dog. In a one-bedroom. Apparently it's not working out, so they're thinking of "going back to renting". I'm curious about how that works so soon after buying a place.

I'm sure they'll find out how it doesn't work when they go to their bank to ask about breaking their mortgage.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Insane. On what planet could anyone imagine that apartment working out for 3 people? At any rate, I bet they'll enjoy losing whatever equity they have on the realtor/mortgage fees, and if they are lucky that'll be enough to cover it all.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

ICYMI, Ewan Sidall decided to go toe-to-toe with a moron realtor in the middle of the night a few days past:

FYI that realtor is the same bastard who called out a woman journalist, who was not towing the RE industry line by suggesting Canada was too indebted, as being "a girl...probably in her late 20s with very little writing history just out of community college.". Turns out she's only just a staff writer for Bloomberg for over a decade with two degrees and over a thousand publications and some in outlets such as the NY Times, Guardian, and others.
https://twitter.com/natalieobiko/status/1258460576503611392

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Oh god, here's his apology:

https://twitter.com/owenbigland/status/1258848697896460294

:females:

Yep, so much better.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

The tone-deafness of this guy is just something else. No wonder he's a realtor.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
"OwenBigLand"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

RBC posted:

"OwenBigLand"

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

RBC posted:

"OwenBigLand"

Username checks out.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

RBC posted:

"OwenBigLand"

You know what they say about large land owners... They're compensating..... For negative future returns that everyone will have to bail em out of.

These"'gurus" are not different than martial arts "masters" that have never taken a hit in the face in their life.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

https://www.timescolonist.com/real-estate/third-generation-landowner-wants-exemption-from-speculation-tax-1.24193865

gently caress this guy

quote:

“If I’m third-generation owner of a property, why am I being charged with a speculation tax that is intended for vacant properties or foreign owners who don’t use them?” he said.

I call this home. I just don’t live here enough to avoid paying this tax.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Glad to see he is considering selling. If I'm not mistaken, that is exactly what the speculation tax was intended to encourage.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
realtors are weirdos at the best of times, but with the real estate market being so hot for so long whatever professional standards they may have tried to abide by have long given way to pure derangement

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So has anyone talked about how many landlords are about to default when university students don’t show up to rentals this week.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

So has anyone talked about how many landlords are about to default when university students don’t show up to rentals this week.
:munch:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

i think most of them are in denial about it

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

quote:

The third-generation owner of a waterfront property in North Saanich is urging the province to create an exemption under its speculation and vacancy tax for long-term owners such as himself.

His property — considered the family homestead — is not being held for speculation, said retired businessman Malcolm Winspear of Dallas, Texas

It's great that the entire article and issue is predicated on not being able to read the last half of the tax name.

Also, they have a foundation that is responsible for millions of dollars of charitable donations but are eager to fight against taxes.

T.C. fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 29, 2020

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

These people ALWAYS save their big threat for most of the way through their letters -- it might make more sense for them to sell the house! They think this is taking their ball and going home but are too self centred to realize that someone else would be buying the ball.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

yippee cahier posted:

These people ALWAYS save their big threat for most of the way through their letters -- it might make more sense for them to sell the house! They think this is taking their ball and going home but are too self centred to realize that someone else would be buying the ball.

"I might have to sell my vacant property!" threatens confused man too stupid to understand law meant to reduce the number of unoccupied properties

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

i think were supposed to feel sorry for the guy who inherited a valuable property or something

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

sbaldrick posted:

I dunno if this is that significant. Probably a lot of empty basement suites in Kits due to this, but I assume most of the time that money just is gravy. Maybe a few house owners a bit more pinched without that extra $1000-2000 a month?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

depends on the area, the smaller university towns in the gta are absolutely rife with over leveraged speculators buying up single family homes and renting them by the room to students

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

The only way you can afford a home in Victoria is if you put a student in your basement. The neighbourhoods around campus all have illegal suites in them. At least that's what my landlady told me when I was a student there.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Will noone stand up for the rich people??

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RBC posted:

i think were supposed to feel sorry for the guy who inherited a valuable property or something

yeah this is what it is. Literal propaganda to make you sympathize with the absentee land owner; this could easily happen to you (if only your grandfather was a wealthy gentleman of some kind)!

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Basement suites have been used as a way to over leverage on a mortgage in BC since well before they were legal. It's the main reason they're prevalent.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

yeah this is what it is. Literal propaganda to make you sympathize with the absentee land owner; this could easily happen to you (if only your grandfather was a wealthy gentleman of some kind)!

Billionaires paying millionaires to tell the middle class to hate the poor, is how I heard it eloquently put once.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Guest2553 posted:

Billionaires paying millionaires to tell the middle class poor to hate the poor, is how I heard it eloquently put once.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bi-la kaifa posted:

The only way you can afford a home in Victoria is if you put a student in your basement. The neighbourhoods around campus all have illegal suites in them. At least that's what my landlady told me when I was a student there.

It's nigh on impossible to buy a house here without a suite. If you tell people you don't want a "mortgage helper" they look at you like you're absolutely nuts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

leftist heap posted:

It's nigh on impossible to buy a house here without a suite. If you tell people you don't want a "mortgage helper" they look at you like you're absolutely nuts.

Yeah, no suite was a firm requirement when we were looking. Problem of course was that even if it didn't already have one, if it had a basement big enough it would be priced as if it did. So we had to find a place with only a 6' half basement.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

When we were looking for a house it seemed stupid to buy a 2000sqft home and only be able to use half as a living space. So we just bought a 1000sqft home and now we get to live alone with a smaller mortgage. Why would you want to depend on someone else to pay your mortgage? It's like renting except you have to pay for everything.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bi-la kaifa posted:

When we were looking for a house it seemed stupid to buy a 2000sqft home and only be able to use half as a living space. So we just bought a 1000sqft home and now we get to live alone with a smaller mortgage. Why would you want to depend on someone else to pay your mortgage? It's like renting except you have to pay for everything.

It's free money!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Since you're mostly paying for the land, a bigger house just shifts more of the cost onto the building (which you can use to generate money) rather than just the land. It's why every house that can't have a suite is pretty much demolished or lifted when it sells now :(

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'm not sure how it would work if you're also living in the home, but renting out an apartment makes the vast majority of the standing costs (property tax, mortgage interest, strata fees, etc) tax deductable.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

qhat posted:

I'm not sure how it would work if you're also living in the home, but renting out an apartment makes the vast majority of the standing costs (property tax, mortgage interest, strata fees, etc) tax deductable.

Percentage-based. Gets a bit more complicated as you go and at sale time re: principal-residence exemption for capitalized costs, if you actually do it properly (haha).

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I feel like writing off stuff around the rental component probably doesn't make sense given that it fucks up with the capital gains exemption, which is probably gonna be way more worth it.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

I feel like writing off stuff around the rental component probably doesn't make sense given that it fucks up with the capital gains exemption, which is probably gonna be way more worth it.

Isn't the law is that if you rent out part of your property for income, you lose the capital gains exemption on that proportion of the property?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Small house big lot is the way to go.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Isn't the law is that if you rent out part of your property for income, you lose the capital gains exemption on that proportion of the property?
Disclaimer, I'm not an expert on Canadian tax laws, but I believe once your convert part of your residence from primary residence into rental, it effectively is treated as a sale of that portion of the property and immediately re-acquired at the fair market value, and vice versa if you convert from rental into your primary residence. At the time of sale of the whole property, you owe the capital gain between all periods for which your property was not your primary residence. Someone please correct me if this is inaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Femtosecond posted:

This is only true in places like Vancouver where house prices went hyperbolic in the past 5 years. If house prices (and also rental prices) were closer to historical norms then it absolutely makes sense to claim the deduction over the exemption since yeah your house went up 3-4% yoy and you're going to have to add 50% of that to your income that year (so really you only pay like 20-25% of the gain), but you also yielded 7-10% in rental income over that time of which most is tax free thanks to all the deductions. Vancouver rental income is around 3-4% ROI right now which is shockingly poor and frankly I'm surprised anybody rents anything out because your net return is approaching what you would get from a total market bond ETF.

qhat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 31, 2020