Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

This game doesn't really have a respec but so long as you haven't spent any skill books you can just make a new Ranger back at base, who'll come at the average party level and is fully customizable... So it's awkward but you can just make the exact same appearance to your character and pretend the old one never existed. You can also use your infinite supply of people to have a dedicated armor/weapon customizer as well as a barter bot (because the level 7 barter perk makes you INSANE amounts of money).

It's still occasionally worth having barter levels on a party member though, as it comes up in conversations pretty frequently (usually as a Give Me More Money option).

i should have done this instead of playing programmer god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

So there's a really weird bug in the Union Station area if anyone else happens to run into it. 100% of the time that I chose the Hard-rear end option to initiate the first fight the game would just rapidly switch between characters until I reloaded. If you use any other option the fight seems to progress normally.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Charisma 9 gets you +18% experience but Charisma 10 gets you +30%. Those kinds of breakpoints are interesting and so I’m trying to get a sense of just how much faster, in practice, levelling with a Charisma 10, maybe even a Charisma 10 Bookworm really is.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I played wasteland 2 at launch, so I'm gonna wait until they fix 3 and catch it during a sale. Looks good from what I've seen though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
OK, I'm starting to think alt-tabbing affects how right mouse button movement works. On a fresh load it works as expected, hold button, character/squad moves to it and and you can drag and continue no problem. But, after alt tabbing, it straight up changes to a pseudo steering wheel and it's annoying as hell. So I guess no alt-tabbing for me for the time being.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I want to remind everyone that this gun is in the game. 99 penetration. I'm not sure I fully understand what that means.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Furism posted:

I want to remind everyone that this gun is in the game. 99 penetration. I'm not sure I fully understand what that means.

It means that it functionally ignores armor.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

All energy weapons have 99 penetration.

That one isn't good, because it eats lot of expensive ammo. 10 per shot, minus the discount.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Woah, I just realised the level 5 perk for animal whisperer affects every pet in the party. So if you give everyone enough points to have a cat companion (think its only 2/3), thats +12% crit for all.

That seems huge.

Edit: Just tested, it only applies to pets that are acquired before picking up that perk, so get everyone a cat before then I guess?

That's definitely a bug.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 29, 2020

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
Am I missing something? On the very first mission when you leave the ice and start looking to kill the guy with the rocket launcher, I have no ammo. Like, in the very first fight my AR person used up all their rounds and my other character, heavy weapons, has like 5 shots left and I keep dying because I'm trying to run into fights and punch everyone to death.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

BattleSausage posted:

Am I missing something? On the very first mission when you leave the ice and start looking to kill the guy with the rocket launcher, I have no ammo. Like, in the very first fight my AR person used up all their rounds and my other character, heavy weapons, has like 5 shots left and I keep dying because I'm trying to run into fights and punch everyone to death.

tutorial spoilers There's some boxes with ammo and stuff near the hostage situation and then more between the next fight and the rocket launcher fight. But there is an RNG element to what's in the loot boxes which means that you can run out, which is a weird design choice, but here we are.

As a person with terminal restartitis, I've worked out that you can save ammo by not engaging in combat in the first fight since the vehicle kills pretty much everything on turn 3. And then mop it up and hope that the crates give you the ammo you need.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm playing on supreme jerk. If you're having a hard time with some of the tough encounters, remember you can move your dudes back and not forward. My tactics tend to be to use my flametrooper to light the immediate clump of enemies on fire and then to keep falling back into cover focus firing on the de-buffed stuff. Snipers can outrage turrets and vehicles too, so if you're against those... they can't move closer than a certain point and you can just plink them to death with rocket launchers/long rifles.

I still think Fallout Tactics has been the best tactical RPG I've played, in terms of combat, level design, and integration of vehicles. I also miss the older style of map movement on an actual map, this one seems to railroad you in certain directions too much (at least right now, I'm not very far)

On the other hand... in W3 you can put a big rear end scope on your flamethrowers giving yuuge range bonuses :allears: fuckin owns

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Bland posted:

The precombat seems to actively disencourage you from trying to resolve situations peacefully because if it turns out that a situation can't be resolved without a fight then there's a drat high change you're going to get ganked before you even have a chance to act. So now I guess I'm playing as a deranged 'shoot first ask questions later' type because I'd rather not have to reload the game (and enjoy the wonderful load times) if the game springs a fight on me and kills me before I get a turn.

Yeah this is the biggest problem for me. If you see an encounter beforehand and it looks like you can talk to someone, if you can't do any dialogue checks you end up getting attacked first. Sometimes you can try to game the encounter by shooting first, but then a cutscene literally stops your bullet from hitting and goes into dialogue anyway. And if you did use a dialogue check you end up getting less EXP and basically no loot.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Is the game breaking co-op bug (where you lose all quest progress and money at random) a guaranteed occurrence or is it just happening to an unlucky minority? Because I can't imagine how a bug this huge could make it into a retail release of a game in this day and age. My playthrough is completely dead in the water before even getting out of Colorado Springs until they can patch this.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Bland posted:

Is the game breaking co-op bug (where you lose all quest progress and money at random) a guaranteed occurrence or is it just happening to an unlucky minority? Because I can't imagine how a bug this huge could make it into a retail release of a game in this day and age. My playthrough is completely dead in the water before even getting out of Colorado Springs until they can patch this.

I have seen it some people reporting that it doesn't happen to them, for me and my friend we played for maybe 8 hours before it happened to us a single time and since then it has happened at an increasing frequency, to the point where its maybe 30% of the time that we load to any zone it occurs which is obviously nearly unplayable.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
That first encounter with the clowns kicked My rear end

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I'm just playing on normal but I've found mechanics to be incredibly powerful. Any fight that seems tuff is made into a cake walk by just hucking a bunch of decoys or disco bots all over.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Someone set off a suicide bomb on Major Tom and I was ready to get so god drat mad but the little guy was okay.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

Happened to me twice with a heavy and I'm seeing people complain about it on Reddit too. This seems like a really dumb early game oversight.

Many people have reported variations on this. Also if you die outside of combat, the character doesn't come back. I am staying the hell away from that perk.

I think I'm gonna sit on this for a few patches and play something else I guess. Looks like it needs a bit more tuning.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

My sniper is sucking rear end, hoping the capstone trait helps

Also don't be me, Str +health gains are not retroactive, so be sure to raise Str up a few points on everyone early, or end up with poo poo tier hp in the midgame :eng99:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Major Tom, Polly and a clone don't seem to take up pet slots so you can potentially run around with 9+ pets I think

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
should I side with Brian or the marshals?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

victrix posted:

My sniper is sucking rear end, hoping the capstone trait helps

Also don't be me, Str +health gains are not retroactive, so be sure to raise Str up a few points on everyone early, or end up with poo poo tier hp in the midgame :eng99:

I ended up having to give my two Poindexter skill monkeys the HP perk so that they could actually MAYBE have a chance of surviving one attack if needed. At least one of them is the sniper so she barely gets shot at, but the other one is my leader/medic who... Goes down a lot.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

should I side with Brian or the marshals?

I have no idea what the long term consequences are but siding with Brian gets you an armory guy that goes "eyyyy its the rangers!" when you talk to him so that justified my choice

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lakbay posted:

Major Tom, Polly and a clone don't seem to take up pet slots so you can potentially run around with 9+ pets I think

There are two other combat followers that don't take up pet slots I know of too as well as the Cyborg chickens

The Provost and a Discobot with the Reagan AI shoved into it

I currently have 11 pets (and could theoretically have had 14 if I hadn't returned the Cyborg Chickens to the coop). Combat in tight areas can be a loving nightmare. It also hugely nerfs Shotguns, Explosives and Heavy Weapons since you can't control what they're going to attack and almost all of them are melee. Still they can deal pretty significant damage and are amazing meatshields to keep your Rangers safe since they recover full HP on area transitions.

For Animals though up through Denver I'd definitely advocate prioritizing getting Billy/Jean the unique Goat and a generic mountain Goat follower. Their special stuns enemies which is hilariously useful.

Otherwise the good early animals are Chickens (who have no special but a large damage bonus) and Dogs/Wolves for their debuffs. Also make sure to grab the Animal Whisperer 3 perk, it doubles your animals health and applies to Major Tom and Polly as well as your normal pets. Its basically the only way I've found to keep Polly alive and Polly's got similar damage potential to the Chickens though insanely low health.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 30, 2020

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
so the perfume for gwynplaine is bugged or what the gently caress, im searching the warrens kitchen and nothing

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Zeta Acosta posted:

so the perfume for gwynplaine is bugged or what the gently caress, im searching the warrens kitchen and nothing

It's in a tunnel outside the kitchen area.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
Maybe it's just me but this game is a lot more forgiving of movement than XCOM was. I feel my guys can move a hell of a lot farther to get into cover and still fire. and I finally found bullets and adopted a cat in a hat :unsmith:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

I ended up having to give my two Poindexter skill monkeys the HP perk so that they could actually MAYBE have a chance of surviving one attack if needed. At least one of them is the sniper so she barely gets shot at, but the other one is my leader/medic who... Goes down a lot.

Tell me your builds?

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
unlimited ammo bug (also related to the starting with almost no ammo at character creation):

So that "bug" (if it is one) where people are starting the game with almost no ammo (such as 5 sniper shots) can be fixed if you keep swapping between starting weapons at character creation. It just keeps giving you ammo every time. It also works every time you roll a new ranger at the HQ.

i.e. if you keep clicking heavy weapon + sniper rifle at character creation, it'll give you ammo for both weapon types each time you click. It may work if you just click a single weapon type repeatedly, but I didn't test that.

I suddenly have almost 1500 heavy machine gun ammo and almost 400 sniper rounds at the start of the game

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How do you hack robots in combat? My dude has 10 nerd stuff and I don't see an option anywhere

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

victrix posted:

How do you hack robots in combat? My dude has 10 nerd stuff and I don't see an option anywhere

You have to get the associated perks on the nerd stuff tree, then they show up on your character skill menu in combat.

When you make it to the Bazaar, don't forget to stop by the museum and take a tour with a special forums friend!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

You have to get the associated perks on the nerd stuff tree, then they show up on your character skill menu in combat.

When you make it to the Bazaar, don't forget to stop by the museum and take a tour with a special forums friend!

I took Targeting Override, there's nothing in the skill menu?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

My Level 3 guy with Nerd Stuff 2 could hack a robot (the spider in the garage) in combat through a skill? It's showing up on my skill menu

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Can you screenshot it? Want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious

Would be nice to use while I'm fighting giant walking cannons :shepface:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

victrix posted:

Can you screenshot it? Want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious

Would be nice to use while I'm fighting giant walking cannons :shepface:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah that uh, literally does not exist for my dude with 10 hacking

:cripes:

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Played a few more hours of coop and this time I got hit with the quest/money reset glitch 3 times. There was also one time I desynched with my coop partner and his character kept hitting an enemy over and over again until they went into a negative life total

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Used the explosives strike ability for one of my characters and for the rest of the battle I got sub 5 fps. Was not great. It did a gently caress ton of damage at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

victrix posted:

Yeah that uh, literally does not exist for my dude with 10 hacking

:cripes:

Its a talent you have to take I think?

*edit*

From my own experience I must say I am very happy I put a lot of first aid on my melee dude. I am playing on the harder difficulty and a lot of fights I am only getting through cause he can self heal and has double the HP of everyone else(with a lot of armour). The healing pack that gives you 30% con for 3 turns is invaluable and its the only reason I managed to clean up the "big boss" fight of the bizzare pig-clowns area.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 30, 2020