Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I have a suspicion that a lot of what this thread looks for in a Kickstarter pitch is not what the average user of Kickstarter looks for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I def would prefer to see the general gameplay or concept pitch before t-shirts and comics and stuff absolutely, but you've already blasted past any of my projects funding so what do I know :margeball:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah this is goons we're talking about.

The pitch seems to be doing okay for you, so

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Naw, it's really important to hear different perspectives. Thanks for the constructive criticism!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'd normally say that all the t-shirts and posters and such always make me leery for a first time Kickstarter. But you already have a prototype? Yeah, that's a pretty good pitch.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

Echophonic posted:

I'd normally say that all the t-shirts and posters and such always make me leery for a first time Kickstarter. But you already have a prototype? Yeah, that's a pretty good pitch.

Yeah, we've got a few prototypes in circulation with reviewers and such. They seem to be enjoying it, check out what geekdad had to say: https://geekdad.com/2020/08/kickstarter-tabletop-alert-space-smuggling-meets-poker-in-antematter/

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Trudis posted:

Yeah we're working on slimming those stretch goals down a bit. You guys think that the gameplay should go above the components? We're not trying to hide how the game works or anything, but we've just heard that people like to see what exactly they're getting before they even care what the game is about.

Yeah that's the exact opposite of how I would want a kickstarter for a game to be laid out. "Here's the main thing we're pitching here" up front "here's all the doodads and reward tiers available" after

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The 'standard' ks page seems to usually go:
- Overview
- Gameplay
- What's In The Box / Pledge Levels
- Stretch goals
- Reviews
- Shipping costs
- Who we are
- Risks

With maybe a few things here and there swapping places, and they seem to flow pretty well.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Trudis posted:

Naw, it's really important to hear different perspectives. Thanks for the constructive criticism!

I think it looks great. I'm holding out hope that an early-bird opens up, but if not, I'm in for your deluxe. I was a little leery on first impression because I felt the Man vs. Meeple preview really sort of botched what makes the game exciting and, well, I already did back a prior Poker meets Genre game in Theomachy a million years ago but I can already tell I like the gameplay here much, much more. I think it'll be tricky to explain and sell folks on, but I'm hopeful it could really catch on.

Your visual design, though, is spot-on and beautiful. Love the look of the cards in particular.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I do think this is an object lesson, however, in why Early Birds suck. I found it late and now instead of pledging and contributing to the discourse (even though I know I can cancel and repledge if an EB opens up), my neuroses are such that I don't want to put my money in until I get a shot at that sweet sweet $20 discount. :P

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

I think it looks great. I'm holding out hope that an early-bird opens up, but if not, I'm in for your deluxe. I was a little leery on first impression because I felt the Man vs. Meeple preview really sort of botched what makes the game exciting and, well, I already did back a prior Poker meets Genre game in Theomachy a million years ago but I can already tell I like the gameplay here much, much more. I think it'll be tricky to explain and sell folks on, but I'm hopeful it could really catch on.

Your visual design, though, is spot-on and beautiful. Love the look of the cards in particular.

Thanks for the kind words! We liked Theomachy for the most part, but we felt like it short-changed the poker a bit. We wanted to give people an interesting, new way to play poker with stakes but with no real money being bet, and also add enough new ideas like the crew cards and the grifter to make it interesting for poker people and those who like the idea of poker but want to get into it without losing their paychecks, while keeping it chaotic enough that nobody really feels bad about losing. Plus if you're crap at poker there's still a path to victory for you via the board and player interactivity.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Trudis posted:

Thanks for the kind words! We liked Theomachy for the most part, but we felt like it short-changed the poker a bit. We wanted to give people an interesting, new way to play poker with stakes but with no real money being bet, and also add enough new ideas like the crew cards and the grifter to make it interesting for poker people and those who like the idea of poker but want to get into it without losing their paychecks, while keeping it chaotic enough that nobody really feels bad about losing. Plus if you're crap at poker there's still a path to victory for you via the board and player interactivity.

I feel like if you're going to showcase poker, you should really showcase it instead of dipping your toe in. Theomachy was in the unfortunate position of having just enough poker to alienate the people who hate it and not enough to really pull in the folks who love it. I think you've got the right alchemy based on what I saw. Plus, the card art is gorgeous. I've said that before, but I'll say it again. Huge draw.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I want the secret to having multiple 4000+ USD vanity backers right out the gate :shepface:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Eyes Have It posted:

I want the secret to having multiple 4000+ USD vanity backers right out the gate :shepface:

Targeting a hobby where there are lots of big money players? Poker is a lot broader than roleplaying at the best of times.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
posting this here since the company got its start on kickstarter in the first place:

holy poo poo. holy poo poo! DREAMFORGE GAMES LIVES!!!

https://wargamesatlantic.com/blogs/news/the-return-of-iron-core

Another game company picked up the Iron Core license, and will be reviving production of the Eisenkern and Panzerjaeger plastic kits(though it seems like they'll be modifying the production of them in some way). This is great, great news, I was afraid Mark'd just bow out of gaming entirely after liquidating the entire remaining stock of Leviathans and such, which would be a damned shame since the DF minis are legit some of the best non-GW minis on the market and also came with tons of accessories and extra heads so you didn't have the "two beakie helmets in a box of 10 space marines" problem.

https://wargamesatlantic.com/products/eisenkern-stormtroopers?variant=31903647662178

like, seriously, if they retain the manufacturing quality of the Wargame Factory kits, then the value of these 20-man Eisenkern kits is equivalent to the old 20-man Catachan Imperial Guard boxes from the early 2000's in terms of number of models vs price per box, but with vastly superior model quality. I'm super excited!

and to top it off, he's revealed a sneak peek at Space Soviets! I loving love the robo-ushanka. it's so stupidly unnecessary but that's what makes it great.

I would have preferred he move in on manufacturing the Shadokesh minis he teased like 7 years ago, since those are an incredibly solid xenos design. Makes me think of a mixture of Necron, Eldar, Tyranid and Egyptian design. he even had the molds and some sprues produced but the kit never manifested before dreamforge blew up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Looks like I'll get a second chance at a Mortis leviathan after all!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
possibly, though they're focusing on infantry for now it looks like. wouldn't surprise me if the leviathans made a return eventually, they're iconic, what gave him the footing to start his own company in the first place.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I imagine the tooling for those is a lot more of an investment, but if the license is active again there's hope.

Hopefully his 3d print city terrain will get a release, too. It was in the unsuccessful kickstarter, and I was afraid he'd washed his hands of the whole project.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
to be fair, he really hosed up trying to push a generic shoebox hovertank as his second kickstarter when, much as I love his stuff, his company is still very very niche. unfamiliar people might dive in for a rad giant robot model or a few squads of cool infantry models, but that grav-stug is just the most bland vehicle-you'd-see-in-a-made-up-video-game-on-a-sitcom level of design. He should've expanded his influence a bit with more infantry or the shadokesh or whatever before trying to get people to go in on a tank kit, especially when the barebones game it had to go along with it only had a single faction.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah there's definitely room for his future WW2 aesthetic but that stug wasn't going to win anyone over the same way a flying Tiger or laser Sherman might.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Man those aliens are good as hell. Echoing I'd definitely take those in plastic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the elbows are balljointed and you just glue or pin them in place, which I think is a much better design than the flat surface connection even if it can be a bit more unstable at times, it results in much more dynamic poses like the renders above.

they look so drat good. I really hope they go the kickstarter route to fund them if the company that licensed IC won't do it.

I like the head design a lot too, the bare head reminds me of Evangelion Unit-02 or something.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 29, 2020

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Am I misreading this somehow or are these just futuristic Nazis?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gilgameshback posted:

nah, they were originally designed as not-imperial guard alongside the not-space marines and not-titans. Mark's original push was to offer a more affordable option to games workshop's minis that didn't do the "only one special helmet in the box of 10 guys" thing, every model comes with every option including like 3 sets of heads, etc.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gilgameshback posted:

Yeah pretty much.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Well, I mean, Space Marines are pretty much Space Nazis, so...

(Eugenics, Superior Men, ultra-facist, ultra-xenophobic, etc)

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

nah, they were originally designed as not-imperial guard alongside the not-space marines and not-titans. Mark's original push was to offer a more affordable option to games workshop's minis that didn't do the "only one special helmet in the box of 10 guys" thing, every model comes with every option including like 3 sets of heads, etc.

Eh, there's an iron cross there and everything is painted grey. They're space Nazis, or maybe those dudes from Killzone (the fascist invading grey guys with red flags who were, in retrospect, space Nazis). From what I remember his tanks were also future not-panzers.

Years back it wasn't such a standout terrible aesthetic but man do I not want to paint Nazis these days.

Aliens look awesome though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The look is pretty obviously torn from Jin-Roh, where it is, um

Extremely a nazi look

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not defending the paintjob, but at the very least the models do not have molded nazi iconography on them or anything like that, I've seen them painted up as cadians and it worked real nicely.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 29, 2020

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

they’re literally called stormtroopers, dude

E: like, their naming scheme is German in its entirety, they use Nazi gas mask and helmet aesthetics, Eisenkern is literally German for Iron Core, Panzerjaeger is also German

They are space nazis, explicitly

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 29, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You're right, I was wrong.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 29, 2020

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Years back it wasn't such a standout terrible aesthetic but man do I not want to paint Nazis these days.

Yeah, I think that's the key context; these are figures from close to a decade ago, IIRC. How advisable bringing them back now is I don't know, given recent events, but their creation probably wasn't fuelled by the same energy as our current international far-right nightmare.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I remember talking to him when the kickstarter was first coming around in 2013 or 2012 and he specifically said he wanted to make a cheaper alternative to 40k without sacrificing model quality. Guess he stayed accurate in a way and went with the specific nazi imagery as opposed to 40k's dolled up version.

He could definitely stand to reimagine them at this point, though, now that all that was pointed out. Just...just even replacing the paintjob on the original box design would go MILES in helping that alone.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 29, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Feels like if you were to make an off-brand 40k it'd be advisable to lean into the Roman or Catholic stuff rather than the Nazi stuff.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I always thought Death Korps and by extension the Eisenkern Stormtroopers were modeled after late WWI Germans.

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games

EverettLO posted:

I always thought Death Korps and by extension the Eisenkern Stormtroopers were modeled after late WWI Germans.

I'd heard French, and doing a bit of a Google it looks like they're a combination of WW 1 elements: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=170013.0

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I just got a DHL shipping confirmation. But I'm not sure what it's for. I'm assuming a Kickstarter is delivering but I don't think any updates have suggested that.

The mystery box draws closer

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Streets is up on Kickstarter. I had a lot of fun with Sinister Fish' previous game Villagers, and this looks like another that's gonna get quite a bit of play.

And the art is gorgeous.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A few hours left on Northgard, a Viking 4X
Looks good + a ton of stretch goals unlocked.

I'd probably be on it, but I'm still weighing up my Wyrmwood Table pledge
(I'll probably do it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Imo never back a tabletop 4x. Those things are incredibly hard to get right