Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Zoran posted:

I respect the Thrawn trilogy more for not trying to upstage the events of the OT, really.
Likewise, I respect Lucas for using Zahn's name for the capital. Only the EU nerds would have cared and maybe not even that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

When Han talks about parsecs in Star Wars, the script says he's lying to fleece some rubes. The EU says that Han would never lie and is being entirely truthful, and it only sounds like gibberish garbage because Han is also a genius astrophysicist who does drag races around black holes.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The Little Death posted:

It was, and it was needless nerd embellishing, but I still respect it more than saying "listen, Maz didn't steal a medal off Leia's corpse like we implied via visuals and dialogue. She just for no reason went to the intergalactic pawn shop where Han traded his missing brother-in-law's war memorabilia for drug money, and gave him that one instead." And releasing that explanation only after people reacted with "Maz steal from the dead".

That's fair. I don't. I think the difference between the two EU's is just that the new one is needlessly answering questions that are a year old, and the old one was needlessly answering questions that were a decade old.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

thrawn527 posted:

Leia was almost raped by a green skinned alien who gives off pheromones and wears see through clothes, and has an assassin sexbot.

I Spit On Your Force Ghost

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Robot Style posted:

When Han talks about parsecs in Star Wars, the script says he's lying to fleece some rubes. The EU says that Han would never lie and is being entirely truthful, and it only sounds like gibberish garbage because Han is also a genius astrophysicist who does drag races around black holes.

I think the thing people don't consider here is that Han lying to fleece some rubes and Lucas not knowing what a Parsec is are not mutually exclusive. It seems to me that the "lying" that Han is doing is that the Falcon is as fast as he says it is. Like bragging your car can go 200 mph when it can actually barely make it to the gas station and back without falling apart, which perfectly matches the whole reveal that far from a sleek speedster, the Falcon is "piece of junk". Of course none of this changes the dumbness of the EU trying to endlessly justify the line with convoluted explanations about black holes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

galagazombie posted:

I think the thing people don't consider here is that Han lying to fleece some rubes and Lucas not knowing what a Parsec is are not mutually exclusive. It seems to me that the "lying" that Han is doing is that the Falcon is as fast as he says it is. Like bragging your car can go 200 mph when it can actually barely make it to the gas station and back without falling apart, which perfectly matches the whole reveal that far from a sleek speedster, the Falcon is "piece of junk". Of course none of this changes the dumbness of the EU trying to endlessly justify the line with convoluted explanations about black holes.

It's so pointless because the OT makes it perfectly clear that Han is trying to get some $$$ and that the Falcon is a piece of poo poo ship and that its only edge is its hyper drive, which owns when it actually works but he still exaggerates a lot and it breaks down often.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

the best gag in episode 4 that literally nobody ever brings up is that Han talks himself up as a hot poo poo pilot, but both times fancy flying would be actually useful he conveniently fucks off to a gun turret and leaves chewie to actually fly the ship.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

the best gag in episode 4 that literally nobody ever brings up is that Han talks himself up as a hot poo poo pilot, but both times fancy flying would be actually useful he conveniently fucks off to a gun turret and leaves chewie to actually fly the ship.

doesnt he fly through the asteroid field in empire?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
That's not episode 4.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

oh oops

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

galagazombie posted:

...I thought the EU explanation was kind of clever. :ohdear:

And I mean, the black holes are canon now, lawl.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

galagazombie posted:

I think the thing people don't consider here is that Han lying to fleece some rubes and Lucas not knowing what a Parsec is are not mutually exclusive.

That's extremely silly.

If we assume that George Lucas doesn't know what sand is, we can conclude that - in the eyes of God - the surface of Tattooine is actually covered in raw sugar.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If we assume that George Lucas doesn't know what sand is, we can conclude that - in the eyes of God - the surface of Tattooine is actually covered in raw sugar.
"Doon. Dessert planet."

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The parsec explanation was one of the few pieces of EU gap-filling I thought was actually interesting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That's extremely silly.

Like Star Wars planets aren't already enough like video game levels

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The Death Star turns the sugar planet into a delicious caramel

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Intentionally bombing your jedi tests so you can join the team that goes around licking planets

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Exploration_Corps/Legends

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

That's extremely silly.

given what is known about him It's reasonable to assume George Lucas is not well versed in the terminology of astro-physics. given what we know about him it's not reasonable to think he doesn't know what sand is.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

galagazombie posted:

given what is known about him It's reasonable to assume George Lucas is not well versed in the terminology of astro-physics.

That's not reasonable to assume at all. That assumption is even based on multiple faulty presumptions.

-Dozens or hundreds of people needed to read the script carefully and ask questions about it - especially Harrison Ford and Alec Guiness, in this case.

-You don't need to be well-versed in astrophysics to look up a word in the dictionary.

-Fantasies about George Lucas' mind can't change what actually occurs in the film.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

presumably Luke, a talented pilot aspiring to go into space, knows what a parsec is. i bet he understood exactly what Han was saying there

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That's not reasonable to assume at all. That assumption is even based on multiple faulty presumptions.

-Dozens or hundreds of people needed to read the script carefully and ask questions about it - especially Harrison Ford and Alec Guiness, in this case.

-You don't need to be well-versed in astrophysics to look up a word in the dictionary.

-Fantasies about George Lucas' mind can't change what actually occurs in the film.

"Don't worry Carrie, nobody wears underwear in space"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

And this from the wise rear end who was criticizing the salt line earlier!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

:eyepop:

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
The parsecs thing is so dumb. Just accept that the line is a tiny, tiny error that doesn't even really matter rather than insane mental gymnastics to make it make sense. There are much more glaring errors that would benefit from explanation.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is there any proof the millennium falcon is the fastest ship in the galaxy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cheesus posted:

The first first EU story, the Marvel comics adaptation of ANH stated the issue of his medal with some caption like, "As for Chewbacca, he too will receive a medal, but because of his height the short princess cannot place it around his neck. Be assured he'll be receiving it in a private ceremony later."

I hope they made another story explaining why Chewbacca wasn't able to lean down to stoop to her level.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Lando seems to agree that it is faster than any ship in the rebel fleet, but he's as much of a bullshitter as Han, so it's hard to say.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Glottis posted:

The parsecs thing is so dumb. Just accept that the line is a tiny, tiny error that doesn't even really matter rather than insane mental gymnastics to make it make sense. There are much more glaring errors that would benefit from explanation.

What's interesting is the necessary production of those mental gymnastics that reveals how a portion of people approach these films. They don't have qualms about an under-handed Han Solo who lies, he just can't be a foolish liar.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Anything involving exposition tends to short circuit nerd brains, because it has to be important and true and have major ramifications for the context of the entire setting. Comparing it to interpretation of holy texts isn't far off, complete with overly literalistic takes on what's poorly translated from figurative language.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

hey i just wanna say, this is the only good post in this thread

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

There was a Super Star Destroyer hidden underground in Coruscant, and it was risen to the surface by a woman who rose to the top of the Empire by sleeping with Tarkin. This woman would become head of The Empire, and later The New Republic.

I'm sorry, but the psychopath woman who raised the SSD rose to the top of the Empire by sleeping with the Emperor, the psychopath woman who did the same by sleeping with Tarkin was an entirely different one.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Lando seems to agree that it is faster than any ship in the rebel fleet, but he's as much of a bullshitter as Han, so it's hard to say.

Luke calls it a piece of junk when he sees it and Han gets all defensive and says he's made a bunch of custom mods.

The Millennium Falcon is a fixer-upper where the owner can't do anything about the rust all over the frame, but spent all their money on a Rolls Royce that's stuck under the bonnet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Stairmaster posted:

It seems to handle itself pretty well against fighters at Endor, and while Obi-Wan thinks Han is bullshitting he never seems to have a problem with the ship itself ("If the ship's as fast as he's boasting, we ought to do well.").

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Falcon never outruns a pursuer in any of the movies.

Imperial fighters literally fly circles around it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mind you, TIE fighters are good at literally one thing, and that is going fast.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Nothing can out-fly Transylvanian TIE Fighters!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mind you, TIE fighters are good at literally one thing, and that is going fast.

you'd think the Tie Interceptor would be built towards this while the Fighters had a little more balanced capabilities

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

It's loving weird how much people misremember the origin media of a fandom. The first scene in any Star Wars movies of the Falcon vs. any other spacecraft IS quite literally TIE fighters flying around the Falcon and taking potshots at it. It's one reason why the ship has rotating turrets and a manual gun nest versus the fixed, straight-pointed guns of TIE fighters and X-wings.

"Kirk drift" is really interesting, but what the hell even causes it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

punishedkissinger posted:

you'd think the Tie Interceptor would be built towards this while the Fighters had a little more balanced capabilities

It's quite the opposite, and makes sense when you consider TIE fighters are made to be mass-produced as cheaply as possible, to the point of not even having onboard life support (hence why the pilots wear spacesuits) and are as a result more or less a couple of guns strapped to an engine. TIE Interceptors are made to keep the speed while also being able to do other things, but are much more expensive as a result. There was a discussion on this in the Sci-fi Wi-fi lovely technology thread, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

It makes it out of the Death Star, while the TIE pursuing it is caught in the blast. It seems to be at least able to keep pace with fighter craft - at least, when Lando's piloting it.