Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Wasteland 2 was the first of the kickstarter retro rpgs and I bet if it'd come along a little later it wouldnt have been so rough around the edges. As it stands it's the only rpg of the kickstarter rpg renaissance that I never finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wasteland 2 had several issues at launch. A year later they released the director's cut on consoles and it was a free upgrade on Steam and GOG. They listened to the complaints and now it's a great game. Wanna lockpick? Select all your characters, right click the door and the person with the higher skill at it runs over. Also, when you open a locker or corpse you now have the option to distribute stuff evenly. What it actually means is that if only one of your characters has a shotgun then they get all the shells. Oh and you can target body parts when sniping, finally.
The game is so much better than at launch and I pity the fool that still hates it.

Also, the Wasteland setting is way better than Fallouts. Guess that's my unpopular opinion.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Was the Wasteland 1 remake any good?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Sorta? If you never played it back in the days it's a loving hassle to figure out. It still has the insanely archaic systems of the original.
Want to change your weapons? Obviously you have to go into a combat round to do that. There's also the bit where you don't have a map and only get very vague directions. Turns out the map is actually in the manual and they didn't provide that with the remake. Not that it's hard to find and you absolutely have to read it to get anywhere.
Even when it came out in 88 it was extremely outdated.
https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/1298770575712595968?s=20

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Lodin posted:

Wasteland 2 had several issues at launch. A year later they released the director's cut on consoles and it was a free upgrade on Steam and GOG. They listened to the complaints and now it's a great game. Wanna lockpick? Select all your characters, right click the door and the person with the higher skill at it runs over. Also, when you open a locker or corpse you now have the option to distribute stuff evenly. What it actually means is that if only one of your characters has a shotgun then they get all the shells. Oh and you can target body parts when sniping, finally.
The game is so much better than at launch and I pity the fool that still hates it.

Also, the Wasteland setting is way better than Fallouts. Guess that's my unpopular opinion.

Did they fix the thing where some values of stats did absolutely nothing? IIRC there was no difference between a character with Int 6 and Int 8.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lodin posted:

Oh, I was talking about the "fixed" Director's Cut when I called the game pure trash, make no mistake about that. I can barely imagine what it must have been like on launch.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Ghost of Tsushima gives you all your good toys way too early. I know people don't like it when the fun stuff is gated but the gameplay loop gets pretty samey after a couple of hours in.

Also I know this isn't unpopular but it really needs some kind of Loadout-saving/quick swapping for your armor and charms.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
wind waker was good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wasteland 3 is on gamepass, today, so for 1-5 usd you can play the game right now.

I won't be because no one has ever made a good isometric RPG but you know, in theory.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

I won't be because no one has ever made a good isometric RPG

wrong, Ultima 8 rules

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Rutibex posted:

wrong, Ultima 8 rules

At least this is in the right thread.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Barudak posted:

Wasteland 3 is on gamepass, today, so for 1-5 usd you can play the game right now.

I won't be because no one has ever made a good isometric RPG but you know, in theory.

tyranny was good

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Barudak posted:

M'fuckin GENEFORGE. :hai:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
There was never a good Sonic game. All of Sonicdom is irredeemable garbage

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

fridge corn posted:

M'fuckin Sonic Riders. :haibrow:

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

fridge corn posted:

Sonic Mania is better than every Mario game except for SMW

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

I think the problem is more that InXile sucks than isometric RPGs suck. Because hooo boy is InXile good at making terrible games.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

fridge corn posted:

There was Spinball.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

The only good Sonic game is Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Best Pokémon games, in descending order:

pokemon Fire red/leaf green
Let’s go eevee/pikachu
Pokemon snap
Pokemon pinball
Every other pokemon game

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I might have to get a rom of pokemon pinball for my phone, I never did catch em all.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Doctor J Off posted:

Sonic Mania is better than every Mario game except for SMW

One of the most overrated games I can think of.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I might have to get a rom of pokemon pinball for my phone, I never did catch em all.

Not the same without the rumble pak.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Rutibex posted:

wrong, Ultima 8 rules

I loved the plot and world building in U8. Shame so much of it was clearly cut.

U9 is atrocious on every level except maybe for the nice rendition of Stones.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Coming out the woodwork to say that not only does Ultima 8 rule, but so does U6 and they're both far better games than U7

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Are any of those games worth revisiting? I played about halfway through Ultima 9 despite all the radiation warnings, I enjoyed it as a fluffy roleplaying piece. I also apparently played like 1 hour of U7 back in the day, as the gfx are super familiar. I remember getting my party savaged by a weird white footprint on the ground, which upon reloading turned out to be a friendly mouse who could join your party and was nowhere near the whirlwind of death now that he's on your side.

I strongly suspect they're all unplayable and/or have been greatly exceeded since.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Serephina posted:

Are any of those games worth revisiting? I played about halfway through Ultima 9 despite all the radiation warnings, I enjoyed it as a fluffy roleplaying piece. I also apparently played like 1 hour of U7 back in the day, as the gfx are super familiar. I remember getting my party savaged by a weird white footprint on the ground, which upon reloading turned out to be a friendly mouse who could join your party and was nowhere near the whirlwind of death now that he's on your side.

I strongly suspect they're all unplayable and/or have been greatly exceeded since.

The UI is rough but RPGs have taken a really different tack since then so there isnt much that does what they do but better. I haven’t played U7 in 7-8 years but in the 2010’s it still held up pretty well.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I’ve still never actually finished one but I really have to give props to the Metal Gear series for basically having a plot over 30 years that can be summed up as “what if the governments in our video game were exactly as evil, horrifyingly corrupt and warmongering as they are in real life.......but also giant robots?”

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The worst thing that happened to Ultimas was mouse controls.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Serephina posted:

I think that the more you can try to place yourself in the time U6 was made, the more fun you'll have with it. U7 is probably still pretty accessible if you approach it strictly as an adventure game and not an RPG. Combat is real time, automated, and not particularly difficult. I think of it like a less funny Quest for Glory

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

There has never been a good pokemon game and they are completely unenjoyable by any mentally healthy person over 12. Any fondness a human being gets from them is from either being a literal child or nostalgia.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

There has never been a good pokemon game and they are completely unenjoyable by any mentally healthy person over 12. Any fondness a human being gets from them is from either being a literal child or nostalgia.

Pokemon the collectible card game 1/2 is pretty good. We should get another one.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

SoR Blaze posted:

Coming out the woodwork to say that not only does Ultima 8 rule, but so does U6 and they're both far better games than U7

U6 is good, U8 ruined a good setting with platforming.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is true, people who keep playing the series have some kind of weird fixation, the series is designed for preteen children and not 27 year old internet forum nerds to complain about.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
pokemon is for children, and furries

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

This is true, people who keep playing the series have some kind of weird fixation, the series is designed for preteen children and not 27 year old internet forum nerds to complain about.

the point of making things for children is a) trick their parents into buying their children garbage and b) conditions that child to become an adult consumer who will want that crap later too c) make an adult willingly try to instill that same consumer loyalty into their children.

There are consumers loyal to a product they were conditioned to like, who have been demanding to pour money at Nintendo to make a thing for them for a decade and Nintendo doesn't capitalize on it. That's the weirder thing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What are you expecting Nintendo to do, command the Pokemaniacs to rise up and conquer China or something

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Khanstant posted:

the point of making things for children is a) trick their parents into buying their children garbage and b) conditions that child to become an adult consumer who will want that crap later too c) make an adult willingly try to instill that same consumer loyalty into their children.

There are consumers loyal to a product they were conditioned to like, who have been demanding to pour money at Nintendo to make a thing for them for a decade and Nintendo doesn't capitalize on it. That's the weirder thing

actually they do. just, not in america.

pokemon center is a store that's i'd say a little more than half for kids and the rest is all collectibles, home goods, adult sized clothes, etc. targeted at adults and parents who grew up with the series twenty years ago. they produce all kinds of poo poo that kids wouldn't even give half a gently caress about, like baby goods, dress casual work shirts, and even designer hoodies in cross-promotions with major fashion labels that dont look like they have anything to do with pokemon at all.

but i also don't know if there's a market for Official Pokemon Silverware in america the way there is in japan

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

actually they do. just, not in america.

pokemon center is a store that's i'd say a little more than half for kids and the rest is all collectibles, home goods, adult sized clothes, etc. targeted at adults and parents who grew up with the series twenty years ago. they produce all kinds of poo poo that kids wouldn't even give half a gently caress about, like baby goods, dress casual work shirts, and even designer hoodies in cross-promotions with major fashion labels that dont look like they have anything to do with pokemon at all.

but i also don't know if there's a market for Official Pokemon Silverware in america the way there is in japan

I think they more meant like the people constantly begging Nintendo to release a new F-Zero game or a new Metroid game, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
oh well nintendo already said they're going to release another metroid game. you would think they would be HAPPY nintendo is delaying this poo poo to iron it out god drat!