Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Government oversight over superheroes ultimately only has one story to tell and that's "the government misusing superheroes in immortal ways"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm reading slotts she hulk and heroes definitely can be in court and involved in court cases without revealing their identity

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

site posted:

I'm reading slotts she hulk and heroes definitely can be in court and involved in court cases without revealing their identity

It is even a current plot line in Daredevil! The She Hulk arc with Spider-Man really does it well though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'ma go ahead and say that if you kill someone, they won't let you keep your mask on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What if Peter Parker is the mask

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Charles Soule had the Supreme Court make it legal for vigilantes to give testimony in court without removing their masks

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, the general premise behind having accountability and transparency behind masked nameless superhuman WMDs is not the literal most dumb thing in the world which is why the Civil War story could even passably present the conceit of "choose your side!"

It's when you have zero consistency between issues -- or sometimes in-between panels -- of what exactly registration entails, what happens if you do it, what happens if you don't do it...that it becomes like, uh no maybe don't make a law that sends armed officers to someone's home because they're...sitting at home...doing nothing...'cuz yikes.

Both Civil Wars have basically the same idea at their core (those being "maybe these superhumans should operate with some level of oversight" for 1 and "actually an early-warning system is a good idea when the world nearly ends every other week" for 2) and both go south because the status quo needs to be upheld and so a bunch of heroes get real stupid and use take those good ideas and warp them into justifications to start being fascists.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 30, 2020

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

site posted:

I have it under strong pretty good okay authority that he has a gross spider-face.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

So glad the Mutant Registration Act was struck down so X-men don't have to deal with this mess.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

BrianWilly posted:

I have it under strong pretty good okay authority that he has a gross spider-face.

Not good enough, we need pictures! Pictures of Spider-man!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think my ultimate issue with "Civil War made some good points" is I can't envision any US government apparatus I trust to maintain any kind of oversight over superheroes. It just does not exist.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can envision the military abducting super people and forcing them to work for the government like they do in the comic tho

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Civil War would've been a much shorter and less dumb book if the story had actually been about registering vigilantes so they can be held accountable for their actions instead of sending everyone who has a weird gene into an extradimensional prison where they're tortured forever.

Blockhouse posted:

Government oversight over superheroes ultimately only has one story to tell and that's "the government misusing superheroes in immortal ways"

That's because states are illegitimate forms of authority that can only do wrong.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lurdiak posted:

Civil War would've been a much shorter and less dumb book if the story had actually been about registering vigilantes so they can be held accountable for their actions instead of sending everyone who has a weird gene into an extradimensional prison where they're tortured forever.

Especially when that prison is seen as an act of aggression by the ruler of said extradimensional space and used as causus belli for a war that killed billions.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Especially when that prison is seen as an act of aggression by the ruler of said extradimensional space and used as causus belli for a war that killed billions.

I'm sure the extradimensional prison didn't help but Annihilus' excuse for rallying the Negative Zone was that the universe was expanding into it, which isn't really anyone's fault but the fundamental laws of physics. And I say excuse because he just wanted a reason to murder everyone who's ever lived so that nothing could ever kill him, which has always been his goal.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It is even a current plot line in Daredevil! The She Hulk arc with Spider-Man really does it well though.

Wait, recently? This sounds amazing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure the extradimensional prison didn't help but Annihilus' excuse for rallying the Negative Zone was that the universe was expanding into it, which isn't really anyone's fault but the fundamental laws of physics. And I say excuse because he just wanted a reason to murder everyone who's ever lived so that nothing could ever kill him, which has always been his goal.

Oh that was the expansion he was talking about? I thought he meant Reeds expanding into the Negative Zone with his prison.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

ThermoPhysical posted:

It was a big deal in Soule's run, which was more interesting than good overall I felt. It's come up in the current Zdarsky run which is really good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Daredevil recently turned himself in for manslaughter but is going in only as DD, because Foggy Nelson reminds him that if he reveals his identity as Murdock, criminals will naturally come after his friends for revenge and also they point out that basically every case he's ever worked on will have the verdict be overturned*.

*DD's been working as a prosecutor since Secret Wars.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

All Matts Are Bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

All Matts Are Bad.

What about his twin brother Mike Murdock?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

What about his twin brother Mike Murdock?

He's a fine upstanding fellow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

They actually did this poo poo right at the beginning of the Clone Saga.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

They actually did this poo poo right at the beginning of the Clone Saga.

Clone Saga would have been fine if it hadn't been artificially extended by marketing.

And I still miss Ben Reilly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Clone Saga would have been fine if it hadn't been artificially extended by marketing.

And I still miss Ben Reilly.

Possibly but it was bad bad bad. They had this whole "I AM THE SPIDER" bullshit and he cocooned himself up in his bedroom and when he burst out he was THE SPIDER and god drat it i hate everything

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Possibly but it was bad bad bad. They had this whole "I AM THE SPIDER" bullshit and he cocooned himself up in his bedroom and when he burst out he was THE SPIDER and god drat it i hate everything

I'm not saying it would have been great, but there's some decent stories hidden inside it too.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Rhyno posted:

Did that not also happen, almost word for word in The Other?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dan Didio posted:

Hell if I remember, I'm the idiot who owns two complete runs of the Clone Saga, not the Other.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
They really seemed to think at the time that the best way to sell people on Ben Reilly was to make Peter Parker a total rear end in a top hat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Hell if I remember, I'm the idiot who owns two complete runs of the Clone Saga, not the Other.

At least The Other is only 12 issues.

I've never actually read The Other.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

They really seemed to think at the time that the best way to sell people on Ben Reilly was to make Peter Parker a total rear end in a top hat.

As a ten-twelve year old who read all of it at release it sorta worked.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I bought a very fancy, hardcover, collected edition of The Other when I was getting back into comics, if we could combine our powers... phew.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dan Didio posted:

They should establish that that's just a period all Spider heroes go through. It's like an embarrassing teenage goth phase.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Gripweed posted:

They should establish that that's just a period all Spider heroes go through.

I could be misremembering, but I don't think you're far off as to what they actually ended up doing at one point or another.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Peter's body died during the Other and then was recreated from a mass of spiders. It was... Something.

Also one of the funniest parts of The Other was that while it was a crossover between three different titles, he only uses his stupid spiderblades in one of the three (Spectacular?). What an aggressively dumb power to give Peter Parker. I actually liked Scarlet Spider using them as it helped set him apart, but I also loved him leaving New York to go to Texas to do his own thing.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
My favorite part of the other was Peter getting all these edgy 'cool' new powers then Tony Stark casually rolls in all 'Nah we ain't doing that here's a suit with better and more importantly less creepy versions of all of that mess'

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

My favourite bit about the Other is when the spiders eat Peter's carapace or whatever and form into that lady-spider-thing and it tells him that actually, there's another completely seperate spider-deity that's pissed off at him and wants him dead.

Like, introducing one spider-god was just not enough.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Peter's body died during the Other and then was recreated from a mass of spiders. It was... Something.

Also one of the funniest parts of The Other was that while it was a crossover between three different titles, he only uses his stupid spiderblades in one of the three (Spectacular?). What an aggressively dumb power to give Peter Parker. I actually liked Scarlet Spider using them as it helped set him apart, but I also loved him leaving New York to go to Texas to do his own thing.

I remember in the part of The Other Peter David was writing Peter popped his spiderblades (spiderblades, spiderblades, radioactive spiderblades) and it was something like, "Whoa, blades now? Oh, well! Go with the flow!" The PAD Guy might have been very checked out writing that issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

I remember in the part of The Other Peter David was writing Peter popped his spiderblades (spiderblades, spiderblades, radioactive spiderblades) and it was something like, "Whoa, blades now? Oh, well! Go with the flow!" The PAD Guy might have been very checked out writing that issue.

He was hired to write the new ongoing and if I recall he'd turned in his scripts for issues 1-3 and then they turned around and lumped the book into the Other crossover.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Shifting all the Other bullshit onto Kaine was a surprisingly genius move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
It's almost like they should have used the weird different stuff to introduce the new, different character instead of slapping it onto their old one and having a new character take up their role